Chapter 4 - School: Sunny

Length of Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

Finally reaching home after her first day at school, she Yoona’s computer. Since she studied at home, her super nice sister Yoona let her use it to study.

“You are home already?” Her mother asked her, after finally got the chance to leave the kitchen.

“Yea.”

“Not studying at school?” For a moment, her mom forgot that Taeyeon had studied at home most of her life. “Ah, right. You are probably more used to it at home.”

“Yeah, school was ok actually…I already have an exam tomorrow.”  Taeyeon smiled contently at her mother, answering a never asked question.

Her relationship with her adoptive mother was odd. Perhaps it was because she was adopted.  However, she remembered vividly Mrs. Im hugging her and telling her bedtime stories during the first few months when she first got here. Her mother never mistreated her but over time her expectations of Taeyeon grew. So eventually, there was always a slight feeling of distance between the two. She assumed it was because of Mrs. Im’s deteriorating health and she was worried about her daughter Yoona, that’s why the more noticeable one-sided treatments. Maybe just expected more of Taeyeon to be more independent.

Her face straightened when she noticed her mother’s eyes grew a bit wider.

“EXAM ALREADY!?” Her mother exclaimed at the news. “You just started school today. Is your teacher crazy!? ‘Looking forward to it’, are you crazy??”

This wasn’t the first time Taeyeon had surprised her mother with her confidence coming out of nowhere.

Taeyeon laughed at her mother’s reaction, “It’s okay umma, I can handle it.”

“Handle it? Handle it!? How? You missed 5 WEEKS! This is totally unfair; I have to speak with the principal. How can schools treat their student like this?”

“If I encounter any issue, I will solve it on my own. No need to worry, alright?”

“But you don’t have enough time to study 5 weeks of material just overnight! I can’t just sit by.”

“Yeah, you can. Sit by and be my cheerleader!”

Her mom gave her an unamused look.

“Or, from this exam I can learn all 5 weeks worth of content in one day! You just have to look at it from another perspective. It’s not the end of the world.” Taeyeon reassured her mother, sounding rather confident at her own abilities.

“It seems that you decided to like school?” Mrs. Im smiled, remembering how troublesome her daughter was for the past few weeks. “Up until now, I still can’t figure out how you can be this confident. If only if we knew where your real parents are.” She looked at her daughter and sighed, still feeling uneasy. Then she also noticed her dirty uniform. “What happened to your uniform?”

“Ahhh…I wanted to feel what it was like to misbehave.” Taeyeon smiled, earning a playful slap on her shoulder from her mother. “As for the second question, my hand slipped and tipped over my lunch.” But before her mother could inquire further, she started urging her mother out of her room saying that she must start studying.

------

Yoona got home and lied back on her chair. She brushed her hair and tried to relax after an evening of studying.

“Soooooo.” Yoona broke the silence and stared at the girl lying on the bed. After hearing no response, she spoke louder, “SOOOOOO.”

Taeyeon glanced at her sister from the corner of her eyes and then back to her phone.

“YAHHH!!!” Yoona went over to her bed and snatched her phone.

“What? Do you miss me that much?” Taeyeon grinned, humming.

“Nope. Not going to answer your text anymore.” Yoona pouted when she remembered how Taeyeon during lunch. “How’s school? Did you like it? New friends?”

“More fun than staying at home, I guess.” She tried to recall her day. Jessica is definitely not my friend, that had been complaining about me ever since she saw me. Now we are definitely not going to be friends after I hit her. I did talk to my seat mate though, maybe Yoona can tell me about her. “I have a seat mate; her name is Sunny.”

Yoona’s eyes fluttered at that name. “Sunny? Hmmm, I think I remember her from middle school. Isn’t she very quiet?”

“That kid doesn’t reply unless you ask the same question two times. Gives me headaches.” Taeyeon covered her face with the palm of her two hands, rubbing her tired eyes. She turned to look at her sister when she thought she heard a heavy sigh.

“How is she?”

“She looks like she had lost her soul when she is near Jessica.” Taeyeon thought back at her seat mate.

Yoona frowned at the news. “They are still picking on her…”

“Why’s that?”

“Because she is quiet, and she didn’t have many friends…” Yoona admitted with a bit of guilt in her voice. “Her grades were good though if I remember.”

“Is that same deal with Eunhaeng?”

Yoona nodded her head slowly. “I really feel bad for those two. I don’t know what is wrong with Sunny, I told her to tell the teacher, but she just won’t do it. I even asked a teacher to ask her if she was ok.” She pouted.

“What about you? Has Jessica bothered you?”

“No. The only time we talked was when she asked for help in an after-school help session.”

“Why did you not tell the teacher yourself about Sunny being picked on?”

“I tried, but Jessica talked herself out of it like it was a piece of cake. I really don’t want to get on her nerves.” Yoona pouted.

“I don’t blame you… I witnessed that first-hand today.” Taeyeon mumbled with a straight face.

“What…don’t tell me you…”

Taeyeon turned to her with a creepy devilish smile on her face.

“NOOO, what did you do!?”

“Mwahahaha.” Instead of answer her, Taeyeon decided to sister.

Yoona played along. Her eyes widened with fear and backed further away from her sister, sliding her chair backwards. “Wha…Who are you? What have you done with my sister?”

“You should be an actress you know, your expressions wooow.” Taeyeon gazed at her in awe, pretending to be mesmerized by her sister’s acting.   

“Ok, seriously, what did you do huh?”

“I may have called her things…”

“Oh no, don’t tell me you called her something bad…”

Taeyeon nodded slowly.

“Ah, you! Unnie you are digging your own grave. What are we going to do!?”

“And I hit her head with my food tray.” Taeyeon added quite amused, with a hint of smugness.

Yoona paused, jaws dropped and slumped her shoulders. “You already dug your grave. You are so dead. Come on we have to tell our parents!”

Taeyeon went over to her sister and placed a hand on her shoulder. “I will be fine. Anyways, wish me luck for the exam tomorrow!”

“AND YOU HAVE AN EXAM TOMORROW!!!???? Unnie!!! You are scaring me!! How can you find all of this funny?? It’s just your first day and you are worrying me to death.”

“Yah, don’t you trust me? Nothing is going to happen.”

“I do. But if she picks on you, you should tell me.”

“And what are you going to do? You already admitted you couldn’t do anything and not even the teachers could help.”

“And what are you going to do?”

“Don’t worry, I won’t bother her unless she bothers me.” Taeyeon patted her head.

Yoona frowned so much that her lips bent into a half circle as she glared at her sister with her big eyes. “Isn’t it weird patting someone taller’s head like this?”

“I only did that because you are sooo cute when you are worried about me.” Taeyeon stuck out her tongue, enjoying her rare childish side that is growing more and more apparent day by day. Plus, when Yoona glares at her, it doesn’t scare her at all. In fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter