Chapter 11.5

A Place Called Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As you sat in your room, writing your report, you thought about Namjoon. He was in the beginning phase of having a mate, what Yoongi and Jin call the initial ‘mate syndrome’. Whereby he just wants to always stay by your side, protect you and make sure you’re okay. It was cute, really. 

Today, you were working from home and as much as you adored affection from all your hybrids, you knew you needed to be alone to focus on your medical reports. 

“Namjoon?” You called out, knowing he was sitting at your door. 

“Yes?” He replied. 

“You don’t have to stay there, you know? Nothing will happen to me while I’m writing medical reports.” You chuckled. 

“It’s okay.” He said, followed by silence. Namjoon has been sitting outside your door since you’ve barricaded yourself in. It was his way of ‘guarding’ you, he says. You don’t really protest, knowing that he is still adjusting to the giddy feeling of having a mate. You thought about how you had to deal with this with your first two hybrids. 

3 years ago…

“Yoongi, you’re not sick. I have to go to work.” You said as you tried to move but Yoongi’s grip around you only tightened. 

With you having just signed Yoongi’s adoption papers 3 weeks prior, you were still adjusting to having another person around the house. But you didn’t expect a clinging Yoongi to be making his appearance.

“No…” He shook his head. 

“I can’t skip work anymore. It doesn’t reflect well on me.” You had already missed 3 days of work, which is a lot for you as doctor. Seniors and nurses were starting to talk. 

“I’ll be back tonight, I promise.” You assured. 

“Why do you want to leave me so badly?” He tried to guilt trip you. You sighed, the back of his head. 

“You know that’s not true. I would love to stay here with you but I have to work. It’s my duty to save hybrids. You should know, you were my patient too. Me not being there could mean that one less hybrid is saved.” You chuckled. Yoongi glared at you. 

“I promise, I’ll be back.” You repeated. 

Prying yourself away from his grip, you left the house and took a cab to the hospital, not wanting to waste time finding a parking space when you were already running late. 

Yoongi was your first hybrid. You were still learning how to care for him and he was still learning about having an owner. 

“Good morning.” You bowed as you hurried to your cubicle, not having your own office yet. Huffing, you sat down in your chair, putting your bag down. Turning your computer on, you looked at your wallpaper, which was a picture of you and Yoongi. You couldn’t erase the hurt look he had when you left him earlier from your head.

“You’re back.” Dr Yu stopped by. 

“Yes, sunbae. Sorry for my absence.” You stood up and bowed to her. 

“Hybrid problems?” She placed a hand on your shoulder. 

“No, it’s not a problem. Yoongi’s been great. He’s just not really happy with me having to come to work. I guess it’s not fun being alone at home the whole day.” You shrugged. 

“I get it.” She nodded her head. 

“It won’t happen again, sunbae.” You bowed again. 

“Relax. I know what it’s like. You’re getting used to having a hybrid and Yoongi is most likely getting use to having an actual owner that cares for him and gives him affection.” She smiled. You nodded your head. Soon, you had to go for your patient rounds with the other doctors. 

As the day progress, you were so busy with work that you forgot about what happened with Yoongi this morning. 

You were still not allowed to handle surgeries alone so you spent the day running around, following different seniors and observing or assisting them through their surgeries. 

“Hey, (y/n).” Someone leaned against your cubicle. 

“Sunbae.” You stood up. Woo Jonghwan was the male heartthrob of the hospital. Medical students would fight to be in his student group or follow him in for surgeries. To you, he was just an ordinary senior. 

“You’ve worked hard today.” He handed you a can of coffee. 

“Thank you, sunbae. You too.” You smiled, gratefully accepting the beverage. Your colleagues would always tease you about how Jonghwan gives you special treatment but you were quick to shoot them down, waving off their accusations as him just being nice to a junior. 

“I told you, you don’t have to be formal. Just call me oppa.” He patted your head. Oppa was what you called someone you were familiar with or close to. You weren’t close to him so you felt wrong calling him that. 

“We’re working, sunbae. It wouldn’t be professional of me to call you that.” You chuckled awkwardly. 

“You’re right. It’s getting late, can I drop you home?” He offered. You looked at your watch. Indeed, it was late. There were no more buses and the streets were empty, it would be hard to call a cab. 

“Alright. Thank you.” You smiled. 

“I’ll wait for you outside.” He said and you nodded. You packed up your bag, spraying on scent mask on yourself. Yoongi was still not used to you coming home smelling like a thousand hybrids so you made it a point to spray yourself before you got home. If it made him feel more comfortable, you would make the extra effort. 

“Sorry for the wait. We can go now.” You left the office. Jonghwan nodded and you two walked to the carpark. He opened the door for you to get in. 

The car ride was quiet. You mainly looked out the window. Jonghwan would cast you glances every now and then. 

“Thank you for the ride, sunbae.” You said as he stopped. But as you unbuckled your seatbelt, you were surprised that he put his car in park, running over to open the door for you. 

“I’ll walk you to the door.” 

“It’s okay.” You didn’t want to appear at the door with a stranger and scare Yoongi. 

“I insist.” He shook his head. You sighed, starting to get slightly ticked off. But he was your senior, you were afraid that rejecting him would lead to bad blood at your workplace. You walked to the door but made no attempt to open the door with him there. 

“Goodnight, sunbae. I’ll see you tomorrow.” You said. 

“Actually-”

“You’re finally home!” The door swung open and Yoongi stood there, a look of relief on your face. But when he saw Jonghwan, a frown formed on his face. He was at home, anxiously waiting for your return but you show up with another male human?

“Yoongi.” You spoke, breaking him from his angry train of thought. Yoongi immediately glued himself to you, his arms going around you. 

“Sorry, sunbae. We’ll talk tomorrow, hmm?” You said quickly as Yoongi pulled you into the house, slamming the door in Jonghwan’s face. You let out a sigh that you were finally free

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter