8: First day at school

Symposium

Biology class, 8:00AM

Baekhyun restrained with a lot of effort the yawn that was trying to escape him. It was 8:00AM. Freaking 8:00AM!! Why does he have to be in a class to learn about a bunch of stuff he will never use??

Theseus had sent someone to woke him up at 6h30 am because breakfast was served from 7:00 am to 7:45 am and then the students had 15 minutes to get ready for the first class of the day.

Baekhyun had dismissed the puppet that was sent to him and Theseus himself had to come down at 7:30 to wake him up.

He had punch Theseus and all but being a mortal, he barely made scratch on the demi god. Now he was standing in front of the class, the biology teacher next to him, Theseus hiding behind the door motioning him to open him eyes and to smile, and a bunch of students looking at him in silence.

Baekhyun bit his lips hard to make the yawn go away.

- Please introduce yourself said the teacher. What's your name?

Oh!! Little Zeus was there... and Chanchan and his friends too. He should be trying to find out if Little Zeus was really Loey, he needed to be close to him.

- I want to seat there! he said to the teacher pointing next to Lay

- Hum... there's already someone next to Lay Zhang, what about you seat there?

- I don't want to seat next to anywhere near close to Chanchan! That 변태! (byeontae. ert)

- Chan...Chanchan... Who is it? asked the poor teacher

Chanyeol opened big eyes and wanted to dig a hole and hide in it the moment Byun Baekhyun walked in the classroom with his eyes half open and his white hair messy. He sighed of relief when he decided he wanted to seat next to Lay Zhang, but that stupid biology teacher had to put him in the spot again.

When Bekhyun called him a ert, all eyes turned to him... even Ye Jin.  She looked at him with pity and turned away... No, not his Ye Jin. This Baekhyun was really getting on his nerve. And what with that pet name? Who the was he calling Chanchan?

- You don't have a choice. Go seat there!

All the students jumped when the door suddenly burst open and the principal per interim walked in. Ah, Byun Baekhyun's uncle. The latter opened his mouth like he was about to say something to him but then decide against it.

He made his way over to Chanyeol who was seating in the last row, surrounded by his friends and suddenly plopped in a chair in the front row, next to Ye Jin. He then  turned and narrowed his eyes at Chanyeol.

- 변태! (byeontae. ert) he mouthed to him.

Chanyeol bared his teeth and motioned a fist, like he was about to hit him. Ye Jin turned to looked at Chanyeol too and he awkwardly waved at her, smiling like an idiot. The girl just turned over, ignoring him. Baekhyun sarcastically smiled at him before pulling his tongue out at him. He turned over and smiled at Sehun.

- Hello Oh Sehun, we meet again.

- Hello Byun Baekhyun.

- Baekhyun-ah, do you remember us?

- Of course, Do Kyung Soo that I have to call D.O and Kim Jun Myeon that I have to call Suho.

He almost looked normal like that, smiling and talking to his friends, but Chanyeol knew better. This boy was trouble. The principal walked to him and whispered something to him. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and nodded. He took out the biology book from his bag and opened a big mouth. The principal smiled at him before leaving.

Baekhyun banged his head on his desk, startling everyone and sat up properly.

- I'm sorry teacher. Please continue.

The class finally started, and he never turned back again.

They were looking. Baekhyun took a deep breath and tighten his grip on his pencil. He could feel their eyes on him, thinking, judging. Theseus had just told him that he received some rules from the Morai. If he blew his cover, the deal was off too. He needed to be a student now and find his target quietly. He could not have all those eyes on him, he knew himself very well, he was bound to do something that will out him out. Maybe he should stop talking too? Because everything he said seemed to be weird for those mortals. He caught the girl seating next to him looking at him pensively. Baekhyun put on a straight face, took a deep breath to control his heartbeat then looked straight in front of him. The teacher was talking about symbiosis between organism and he decided to concentrate on class instead of the stares. He was used to it anyway.

Biology class went by in a flash... probably only for him. On the corner of her eyes, he could see Chanyeol passed out on his desk. He was turning his back on him and Baekhyun found that... strange. If he had his back at him, does that mean that he was not staring?

- Hello new kid!

Baekhyun looked up; face impassible and nodded slightly to the girls who were crowding his space.

- You should respond when you're talked too said one of them. What's your name? How can the teachers did not even know your name? Introduce yourself.

Baekhyun looked at them again before calmly putting his books in his bag. He stood up and tried to leave when one of them grabbed him.

- Hey! Are you deaf? We are talking to...

- Remove your hand.

The girl blinked multiple times before slowly releasing her grip. Something was wrong with that new boy. A chill went down her spine and she looked at her friends, frighten.

- Da Chun, that's not how you do things. Hello, I'm Jung Sunny. Welcome to Empire High!

Baekhyun did not even answer them and turned away.

- That rude boy! raged Da Chun. Hey!

She tried to grabbed Baekhyun again, but her hand suddenly fell on Chanyeol's back.

- Da Chun, I'm sorry about my friend here. He didn't have breakfast and he's starving. He'll talk to you later.

- What? Chanchan what...

-  Follow me Chanyeol whispered to the white haired boy before dragging him out the classroom.

The girls opened big eyes and Da Chun was about to go after them when as sweet voice interrupted her.

- Da Chung, let it go.

Da Chun, a girl with big bulk, stopped on her track. Sehun came over, a sarcastic smile on his lip.

- Thank you for stopping them. I'll take his bag now and go see the new boy and his... Chanchan.

Luhan shook his head and pushed his sleepy friend, Lay Zhang in front of him to get him to his next class. Lay slumped in his chair inside the classroom. It was free period as the math teacher was on a leave. He turned to his other friend, Kim Jong In but could not find the giant on his seat.

- He's gossiping over there with the girls said Luhan without even looking away from his book.

Lay smile got bigger. Jong In, or Kai as they nicknamed him, was always either listening to gossip or saying a gossip. His parents might as well change his name to Gossip.

- Gossiping?

- Hum. Everyone is talking about that new boy, his hair color and, of course, about his relationship with Park Chanyeol and his friends.

- Park Chanyeol? What relationship? He was caught inside of his room, right?

- I think there's more than that. Apparently, he has been calling him a ert. We thought that he must hate him but just now, Chanyeol and his friends rescued him from Da Chun. You know that girl, thinking that she's superior to everyone and dare to call dabs on Sehun. Chanyeol went to buy Baekhyun some snack... the ! You were in the classroom when all that happened! said Luhan, eyes still on his book.

Lay could not restrain a laugh.

-Lulu, you know me and biology, the moment I open that book, my mind just goes blank and I fell asleep. I'm a math major, I don't care about biology.

- Said the future doctor and hope for China. Remind me to never come to you if I'm sick. respond the small male, a smile on his lips, making his friend laugh even harder.

- Even if all the cute boys will come to me and I can introduce you to them?

Luhan smile got bigger and he put down his book. He stood up and ironically deeply bow to his friend.

- Lay 형 (hyeong. Hyung). Please take care of me and any sickness I have or will have in the future!

Chanyeol looked at the boy eating the dumplings in front of him without really chewing them.

- Where you really that hungry? He asked giving him some water as he choked.

- Hum. I didn't get breakfast this morning... I can't wake up on time and there was no food left.... How did you know I was hungry Chanchan?

- I didn't... Slow down Baekhyun-ah, no one will take your food away.

- How'd you know? he asked glaring at Sehun, D.O and Suho.

- I promised they won't and... I'll protect your food. Just take your time.

Sehun just shook his head, laughing and dropped his bag next to him.

- I got you your bag... just so you know, you should stay clear of those girls from earlier. They are scary.

- I knew it! said Baekhyun pointing his fingers towards the sky. They tried to convince me that I was wrong but I knew that girls were crazy. When they were talking to me, I could not even hear them, I just wanted to run!

- You're afraid of girls? asked Suho, laughing

Laugh that got stuck on his throat at the death glare Baekhyun gave him.

- Afraid? Did you just said afraid?

- So how was your first class? Asked Chanyeol to distract the white hair boy from his next victim.

- Interesting... not that you know... I saw you sleeping the whole class. You're dumb right?

- What? ... No... I'm normal... D.O, tell him.

Baekhyun turned to D.O, smiling.

- Don't lie for him. He's not worth it.

The 3 boys started to laugh as Chanyeol pouted. Baekhyun suddenly patted him on the head, smiling.

- 고마워 (gomawo Thank you) Chanchan. That was delicious.

Chanyeol felt his ears getting hot. He pushed Baekhyun's hand away and got up.

- You're done right? Let's go to our next class. It's free study period.

- Hum!

He got up and followed the guys back inside of the building. The math class was really noisy. From the outside, they could already hear the students talking... and the topic was Baekhyun.

- His name is Byun Baekhyun said a voice, his dad is the principal's brother and his mom is an heiress to a Greek tycoon. He has a creepy sickness that make his hair go white and... there's a weird rumor going around like... his parents actually kicked him out of the house because he brought shame to them in Greece... he was sleeping with men... for money...

Everyone started to chip in the conversation. Chanyeol turned to look at Baekhyun and he had his mouth open like he was in shock.

- Did... did they just implied that I was a male e back in Greece? Are they freaking insane?? Do they know who my dad is? He will have them...

Before he could finish, Chanyeol opened the classroom door with a bang. He coldly went inside, his hands in his pockets.

- Come out!

All the students looked at him with big eyes.

- The one who was spewing about Baekhyun. Come out! Now! He yelled kicking the empty desk in front of him.

- Chan... Chanyeol... it just some rumors... we didn't....

- Did you knew Baekhyun before he came to Empire? Did you go to Greece to verify yourself? Do you even know where in Greece he is from?

- No... the poor guy reply... I was just... I didn't...

- You didn't? Just some rumors? Then shut your mouth if you don't know anything about him!

He turned to look outside, and Baekhyun was watching him, flabbergasted. The other 3 guys were surrounding him like his bodyguards. He was still holding his dumpling bag as D.O was carrying his school bag.

- Byun Baekhyun, come seat next to me. I'll show you what we already saw in chemistry. Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun nodded and quickly entered the classroom, only looking at Chanyeol's back in front of him. What was that feeling? He was used to staring before but now it felt so different. As Calix, the Erebus prince, the stares that followed him were always full of praise, envy and respect. Now, as Byun Baekhyun, on his very first day, he was looked upon as a pariah, a e. He followed Chanyeol to the back row, still avoiding looking at the other students. He was really grateful right now but will take a single trip with Charon on the Styx river before telling him that. Well, he really hated to admit it, but he was wrong about Park Chanyeol. He was not a 변태 (byeontae. ert) or even a 쓸모없는 놈 (sseulmo-eobsneun nom. useless guy) like he tough before. No... Park Chanyeol was...

- Chanchan... he whispered to him.

Chanyeol looked over, opening his chemistry book and smiled at him.

- Chanchan...

- What? He whispered back.

Baekhyun leaned over a little more and give him a thumb up.

- Chanchan, you're really cool!

 

"And then my soul saw you and it kind of went: oh, there you are. I've been looking for you".