9: The cheerleaders and the jocks

Symposium

Baekhyun's room, 6:00PM

Leo schemes, the Moirai plot, black feathers growing on his white wing, nothing could make him forfeit. Nothing... only maybe that sensation he had on the pit of his stomach... and why was it making that growling noise? Was he dying? That was impossible, right?? !! He was a mortal now, everything could kill him!!

Baekhyun sprang from his bed, freaked out. He can't die before saving his human!! If that happen, the deal with the Moirai will be void and he will become a demon!! He sprinted outside his – tiny – room and ran over to Chanyeol's room. He still remembered where it was. He put a hand on his belly and opened big eyes. It was making that noise again, like some angry beast wanted to burst out of him.

He arrived in front of Chanyeol's dorm room and turned to door handle. Thank to Zeus is was not lock. He pushed the door and look inside the room. Chanyeol was in there. The poor guy sat on his bed, disoriented and could not retain a yelp when the boy suddenly lashed himself onto him.

- Help me. I think I'm dying.

It took Chanyeol a few seconds to realized that he was not dreaming. His new "friend" was in his room, on his bed, shaking his arm like there was no tomorrow and... only wearing a t-shirt and his boxers.

- WTF??? He yelled before jumping out the bed and almost breaking his back against the wall.

Baekhyun turned to him, still seated on the bed, eyes wide.

- What? I'm really dying? Can't you help?

- What?... Dying?... What are you doing in my room? You can't come in without knocking! That's basic manners!!

- Stop yelling he said, getting comfortable and looking annoyed. You always yell at me. And it's not like I wanted to come to your room... but I don't know those human sicknesses and you need to save me.

Chanyeol felt like his head was going to explode. Why do stuff like that only happen to him? Could the universe give him a break already? He got in a nearly deadly car accident just a month ago for Christ sake and now he must deal with this clearly insane boy?? Where the rumors about him right? He slept with people and... Chanyeol look at the boy in front of him: so cute, so innocent...so seductive with his bare legs and that confused look on his face. He was softly bitting his lips and... Chanyeol shook his head. No.

- Listen to this Baekhyun said, getting up and coming to him.

- Stay away! Chanyeol warned him.... You said it yourself, you're sick and...

Baekhyun stopped, a hand on his stomach, mouth opened.

- So... I'm really sick? And I might die before finding that Yo guy? And...

His growling stomach interrupted him, and Chanyeol frowned a little. 설마... (Solma.... Don't tell me). Chanyeol finally understood the situation and chuckled a bit.

- Are you hungry?

- Hungry? Baekhyun asked. I don't think so but there's that animal that keeps on growling and...

- That's your stomach telling you that you're hungry.

Baekhyun suddenly smiled at him and Chanyeol smiled back. Baekhyun was quite nice and naive, not even knowing that he was hungry... how could that be?  He never experienced hunger before in his life then? Such a prince.

- You're not dying Baekhyun-ah, you're just hungry... Now, can you get out my room?

- But... I'm hungry... what should I eat?

Chanyeol could not help but to laugh. He shook his head and forgot that a minute before he was seriously going insane because of this boy.

- I'll lend you some pants. Put them on and follow me. Have you ever eaten 라면 (ramyeon. Noodles)?

- Ramyeon? he asked, clapping. No, but it sounds delicious!

Baekhyun put his bowl down and pat his belly, smiling at the boy in front of him. The little stand was full of students and people getting out work. Chanyeol looked at the five bowls in front of him and shook his head. Being friend with Baekhyun will make him go broke soon. He might need to ask his parents for more allowance.

- Well, Chanchan, you were right, ramyeon is definitely the best food I ever had!! Wine and cheese are nothing compared to that!

Wine and cheese? And why was he calling him like that?

- 형이라고 불러. (hyeong-ilago bulleo. Call me brother).

- 형 (hyeong)?? Baekhyun asked, raising a sardonic eyebrow at him... you're not my brother.

- This is the mortal way of doing stuff he said, mimicking his words. You should call me Chanyeol 형 (hyeong).

Baekhyun nodded, agreeing on everything he said. Chanyeol had his own theory about his new friend. He was obviously from a really rich family, a prince that never experienced hunger, had people to do almost everything for him, a half-Korean boy who was not raised in South Korea and who came back to his homeland. The reason? He was still unsure between two: either he got kicked out by his parents for not being the perfect heir or either he had a tantrum and wanted to prove to someone that he was not a prince and decided to live alone for a while.... He held in a sigh. Either way, Byun Baekhyun was going to become a pain on his .

He sighed again and stood up.

- Let's go back 왕자님(wanjanim. Prince)

Baekhyun was already up too but suddenly he lost his smile.

- 하지마 (Hajima. Don't).

- Hum? Don't do what? We really need to go back. Curfew is at 8h30 pm. It's almost 8:00 and we need to walk a bit to...

- Don't call me a prince.

Chanyeol stopped and turned to him. It was weird. It was the first time he actually saw Baekhyun being all serious. He was either talking back, laughing or trying to kill someone... He walked to him and patted his head.

- I won't anymore ... 아기 (Agi. Baby).

Baekhyun rose his head and the fire was back in his eyes.

- 아기 (Agi. Baby)? Who are you calling a 아기 (Agi. Baby)?

- Well, the only baby I can see here. Chanyeol said pulling his tongue at him before running away.

- Chanchan! Come back here! I'll show you who is the baby!

They went back to the pension, laughing, running after each other. Chanyeol dropped Baekhyun in front of his room and waved good bye to him.

- Oh, Chanchan, wait! Your pants.

The pants were already halfway his legs when Chanyeol felt his face becoming bet red and hot. He opened a big mouth and without a word turned and ran away.

- What's wrong with him now? muttered Baekhyun... Ah! The whole walking around half thing.

He scratched his head and pulled the pants back up.

- Sorry Chanchan he said before closing his door.

Later that night, around 9h30pm

Baekhyun tossed in his bed, restless. The human world was so noisy and bright. There was a lot that he did not know and that still surprised him. He was a little ashamed to admit it but, people in Erebus knew nothing about the humans that they were supposed to protect. Like hunger. He has been to Africa multiple times to carry soul of children that died from hunger... he never thought much about it until earlier, when he experienced it and almost die from it. If it was not for Chanchan...

He turned again and sighed. He never felt so powerless in his life before. He had no idea where to start his search for the human he was supposed to protect and... He suddenly sat and opened big eyes. What if the stupid moron already died? He took a deep breath and went next to his window. The only freaking power he had left without the whistle Zeus gave to him, was the ability to see his wings. He opened them and closed his eyes. By Zeus, please don't be black he prayed before slowly turning.

He let out a sigh of relief. It had a couple of black feathers but his white wing was still there, sign that the imbecile was well and alive. Some voices were heard outside and he turned to his window, puzzled. He could hear men talking. One of them suddenly screamed and he could hear another one trying to call him down. He quickly concealed his wings, put some pants on – Chanchan gave him an almost 2 hours' lecture about walking with just his boxers and how that was wrong when he was living with strangers and that there were rumors about him – and peeked out his window. Little Zeus was there with two other guys. Should he go and see what was happening? He needed to be close to that dude anyway...But... didn't Chanchan said that if they get caught outside after curfew he will get demerit points?

Baekhyun snarled. In Hades name, what was wrong with him? Since when did he care about demerit point? Who the hell care about them anyway? He was not a student, not a mortal, he...

A knock on his door made him almost jumped out of his skin.

- Calix, it's me, Theseus. Open.

He went over and rudely opened the door for his "uncle".

- What do you want? Coming over to my room at this hour.

- This is for you. You'll need it to perfect your role as a teenage boy.

Baekhyun looked at the black and square device, turning it in all direction.

- What the hell is that?

- This is a cell phone.

The boy opened big eyes. A cellular! He always wanted one, but his dad had explained that it was useless to them as they don't need a communication device in Erebus. He had begged Zeus for one and the father of all Gods had explained that the cellular will be useless, not because they didn't need a communication device but because there was no cell tower either in Erebus or in Mount Olympus...

- And it's mine?

- Yes. There's a manual inside. Look at it and use it. This is the latest SAMSUNG phone and...

- Thank you, uncle.

Theseus smiled at the Erebus prince. That boy could be such a sweetheart when he wanted. And he finally called him uncle.

- It's normal. Also, you'll need to come get a cafeteria card for your lunch and...

Baekhyun just went in, still looking at his phone and slammed the door on Theseus's face.

- Owwwww. That brat! He said with his teeth gritted. That annoying without manners brat! I'll beat his up!

A sudden thunder resonated in the clear night.

- Sorry about that. I'll never touch him. You know that. I'm just talking, just talking. Sorry. I'll threat him as my most precious treasure. Promise.

********

The first week went by and Baekhyun could say that he was no longer the talk of the school like the first time. Everyone knew his name and wild stories about being an illegitimate child, a e or even a ghost (he owes this one to a guy named Kai) were still going around about him, but it was bearable. Something else got Empire High attention. Next Friday, the official football season was starting and a friendly game between the Science and the Art majors was happening on Empire field that day. Not that he was interested by any of it. He just wanted to get closer to Little Zeus, so it will be possible for him to go back to Erebus... and ensure that he will not become a demon.... But he had no opportunity to do so. He instead became really close to Chanchan and his friends.

He got in class early. No one was there yet. They were probably still in the cafeteria. Theseus had dragged him out of bed again this morning and he didn't want to be late, so he decided to skip breakfast. He passed out at his desk and closed his eyes to sleep some more. Soon, the classroom started to be filled with students. He could pinpoint the exact time the jocks got in the room. Almost every girl went to their seats at the back of the class, hands fill with presents. Baekhyun internally shook his head. Girls were stupid. Just because the guys were good looking did not mean that they were good boyfriend's materials.

A pleasant smell made his noise twitched and he opened his eyes. A box full of sandwiches was in front of him.

- Good morning said Chanchan smiling. Breakfast.

- My savior he said taking the box of his hand.

His desk mate arrived and Chanchan's face became red.

- Hum... Hel... Hi... he said waving to the girl.

Eating his sandwich, Baekhyun looked at her friend than at the girl. What was happening?

- Do...do you want some sandwich? They are freshly made!

Chanchan took the box from Baekhyun and offered it to the girl who was still ignoring him.

- Hey! That's my food! Baekhyun said trying to get the box back.

- Go away!

- My food! Sehun! Suho! D.O! Chanchan took my food away.

- Stop complaining. 아기(Agi. Baby)!

Baekhyun got up and chased after Chanchan. He stopped in front of Chanyeol's desk that was covered with presents. He looked around and realized that Little Zeus, Chanchan, Sehun, D.O and Suho desks were covered with gifts.

- No way... you're a jock? he asked Chanyeol.

- Yep. And a pretty good one. Here's your food and some water. Don't choke.

Baekhyun glared at the guy sitting in front of Chanchan. The poor kid ran away and went to seat at his desk. Baekhyun dropped on the chair, munching on his food.

- Wow... I never taught that you could do something so... manly... You got up in my esteem.

He put his hand in his pocket and pulled out his phone.

- Give me your phone number.

- You have a phone? How come I've never saw you with it?

Baekhyun felt himself blushing. He was never going to tell anyone that it took him a full week to understand the device.

- If you don't want to give it, fine he said getting up.

- I want it, I want it said Chanchan laughing.

He took the device and punched in his number. The other guys came in and did the same.

- Now call us so we can have your number too said Suho.

- Later. I'll make you guys wait. Getting my number is not that easy you know.

Baekhyun was about to go to Lay to ask for his number too when a student came in, out of breath.

- Death is coming.

Death? Hades came to see him? How could that kid be able to see him?

- Byun Baekhyun. Go to your seat. Now! said Chanchan

He obeyed, and the teacher finally got in and by the way everyone rushed back to their seats, Baekhyun could guess that he was the one they called death. Why? He didn't look like Hades at all!

- As you all know, this class is mandatory for everyone who wants to go to a decent college. I know that we have a lot of materials to cover and to help you do that, the next assignment will be done in group.... That would choose he said, cutting the cheering that was starting.

He looked over to him and raised an eyebrow.

- You're the new boy so you must not know about it, but this assignment is worth 70% of your grade. If you failed it, you fail my class. If you fail my class, you can kiss any decent college goodbye. Understood?

Baekhyun nodded once, face impassible but heart hammering inside his chest. So, this class was super important?? He needed it for college? Well, he was going to ace that assignment.

- I already formed the groups and I don't want any complaint about them. Also, as I said, this is a group assignment. Partners will be quizzed on their subject and if one fails, everyone in the group fails too. So, there is no letting only one person do all the work. Is that clear??... Yes, Kyung Soo?

- 선생님 (seonsaengnim. Teacher) that's not fair! You created the group! What if I end up with some lazy bum that does not want to work at all? Why should I be punished for them?

The teacher threw him a sardonic smile.

- We cannot go by ourselves in life; we need to learn how to work together. This assignment is also going to help you guys learn more about each other... and Kyung Soo, I don't think you will have any trouble convincing anyone to do their share of the work. I'll reveal the groups at the end of class!

He turned to the board and started the lesson.

********

The principal scratched his throat, uncomfortable. When was the last time a student made him uncomfortable? Byun Baekhyun, Zeus pet, was looking at him straight in the eyes with no emotion at all reflecting on his beautiful face. He tried to smile but failed when the secretary leaned over to whisper something to the young boy.

- Mister Byun can't be participating in any extra-curriculum activities. He joined school a little too late for that... Also, please remove him from that group homework he just got from social class. Mister Byun can't...

- I don't really have any say on how the teachers manage their class. If they follow the curriculum, they are free to do as they please... Also, Baekhyun-ah, you need to join a club. It's mandatory here and it helps with your specs... Club activities are almost as important as your grades now for college application.

- I'm telling you that...

- Yen 비서 (biseo. Secretary) shut up said Theseus feeling his patience running thin. He's a student here, he will do as all the other students!

The secretary puffed her cheeks and left the room after violently slamming the door behind her.

- Wow Theseus, you were almost cool. To help you save face, I'll do as you want, I'll join a club. Can I have a list, so I can choose?

- Hum... all the clubs are pretty much complete and already have their budget for the year. You only have 3 choices: cooking, floral art or cheerleading.

Cooking? He never had to do it before and was sure that he will at it. Floral art? He ran away from the arts since a young age, no way he was going to waste his time by doing that now. Cheerleading? He doesn't trust those girls and they would throw him up and catch him? NEVER!

- In the cheerleading squad, if you're new, you only help with the basics. You won't do any of the performances. Our team is good, we have won multiple awards and...

- Really? Then I'll do it. The cheerleading thing. I'll do it he said.

- Well done said the demi god taking some forms on his desk. Fill that and go find Ye Jin. She's the cheerleaders captain... you'll find her on the field, they are preparing for the game we have next Friday. If you have any questions, ask her. She'll be glad to help. Also, Baekhyun-ah, make sure you get in. Remember, you need to blend in as a student.

He nodded and left the office, looking at the paper he had to fill in. Why was this more complicated than life and death? He blinked multiple times and shook his head.

- Oh, headache. Let's just find Chanchan and have him fill that for me.

- Byun Baekhyun 학생 (haksaeng. student), can I please talk to you for a moment?

! That secretary was waiting for him. Baekhyun smiled awkwardly at her and showed her the form.

- I need to fill that form now and bring it to some girl named Ye Jin. Sorry! he said before dashing out the door.

That was so cliché. Baekhyun was still shocked by the fact he was going to join the cheerleading club. He was half exited, half scared. He never felt like that in his life. He still remembered the first time his dad brought him to Hell where he met Hades. He just wanted to go play with Cerberus and wasn't scared at all. With Zeus, it went even better: he called him grandpa, making the all-powerful laugh and he became his favorite since then.

But now... Cheerleading. He wiped his moist palms on his pants and took a deep breath. He had saw cheerleading in movies – yes, he watched movies too without his parents or Zeus knowledge- and he wasn't sure if he could shoulder the weight of a girl or of a human pyramid.

-  Byun Baekhyun 학생 (hagsaeng. student), would you like me to talk to the principal again over that matter? I'm sure that I can convince him to remove you from any extra curriculum activities... you're his nephew, right?

Without answering, Baekhyun continued to go to the field. Even if he said told her to go away, Secretary Yen was not going to listen to him anyway, so why waste his breath on her? Baekhyun understood that the woman was the treasury secretary of the school and getting a new student suddenly was not added in her numbers, but that woman needed to relax a little. Theseus already took care of everything!

- Pass!! Run!!! KAI!! PASS!!!

He could hear them before even seeing them. The jocks were running, and the cheerleaders were cheering for them, dressed in their tiny and reveling uniforms. Baekhyun shook his head again: that was really so cliché.

 

"If you want something you've never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"