The Trip

Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A caravan drove on the road alongside the beach, two sedans following closely with the same speed. The man driving the large vehicle accompanied by the woman sitting on the passenger seat, who constantly fed him clementine or water or simply helping to navigate the road. On the kitchen section sat two ladies, each with five cards on their hands, another set of five cards facing down laid on the table. Despite the competitive atmosphere between the ladies, the song playing on the stereo courtesy to the navigator made it impossible for the listener not to bop to the music.

Now I’m laughing smile again

It's a happy moment happy days

Spread your shriveled shoulders and in this world

Erase all the hard work

Everyone sang along, Jongin tapped his fingers on the steering wheels, Seyeon kept herself busy looking for the next song to play, Jinjoo and Daeun decided to put their cards down, get up from their seat and dance along.

Forgetting sadness never cry

Sunny days under the hot sun

All you need to do is always want to be full of good things

The sound of toilet flushing could be heard and Kyungsoo stepped out while wiping his wet hands on his pants, “Why are you singing summer song? It is nine degrees below freezing point outside.”

“Our trip is not about the weather, it is about the festival spirit,” Jinjoo took Kyungsoo’s hands and danced with him.

“By the way, it is probably wise, not to use the bathroom for the next fifteen minutes,” he announced. Jinjoo let go of his hand and ran to sanitize her hands.

Daeun turned to the man, “I told you to go to the toilet when we stopped in the rest area, didn’t I?” she scolded.

Seyeon turned around, “Did you at least opened the window?”

“With this temperature and Jongin driving in this speed? Are you crazy?” Kyungsoo asked.

Jinjoo sighed and walked to her bag, she took her perfume and gave it to Kyungsoo. The med student looked at her questionably, and understood what she meant after receiving a glare from the tiny woman.

Kyungsoo went to the bathroom once again and sprayed a good amount of the content of the bottle. Jinjoo popped her head inside the bathroom and sniffed the air, she turned to Daeun and gave two thumbs up.

“We’re arriving anyway, we will just ventilate the bathroom after we stop,” Jongin said, not taking his eyes off the road and received another piece of clementine from his wife.

The trio went back to their seat, Kyungsoo went back up as fast as he sat down, “Okay, who took my chips?” he asked, eyes filled with accusing stares towards the women in front of him.

He recounted his poker chips to make sure he didn’t make a mistake, “Are you accusing us that we do something you always do?” Daeun raised her tone.

“It’s not that I’m accusing anyone,” Kyungsoo pointed to his yellow chips, “I had twelve yellow before I went to the bathroom, now I only have eight.”

“And you are implicating that we stole your chips?” Jinjoo moved her body forward and point to the floor with her lips, “What about those then?” she asked.

Kyungsoo bent down and took his chips as fast as lighting, “See, I am still missing one.”

“Let me remind you that we are in a moving wagon,” Daeun took the last chip on the seat Kyungsoo was sitting before with her index and middle finger, she rested her elbow on the table, “Finders keepers.”

Kyungsoo tried to take the chip back, however Daeun was faster and put the chip inside her pocket, she extended her arm and waved her index finger in front of his face “Nah, that’s my searching fee.”

Jinjoo groaned, “You guys are so childish,” she took one yellow chips from her pile and place it on top Kyungsoo’s, “Can we please act like adult and resume the game, Doctor Do and Reporter Shim?”

Kyungsoo and Daeun bent their head and simultaneously said, “Yes madam.”

Daeun saw a glimpsed of one of the sedans and turned to her friend, “Wife, are the royal guards going to follow us through the whole trip?”

It was Jongin who responded, “How many times do I have to tell you guys, I am the only one who is allowed to call Seyeon, wife!” earning a pat on his thigh from the said woman.

“I’m sorry, the royal guards usually only protect us during official royal occasion, but a little girl throw up on my shirt just as I was finishing my task at the orphanage, so they have to drove me halfway to the beach,” Seyeon replied.

“I actually suspect it was Eoma Mama who arranged for them to follow us,” Jongin said with suspicion.

Seyeon patted her husband’s thigh once again, “It is out of good intention though.”

“It still amaze me, that even after you finished the King’s punishment, you still regularly visit the orphanage,” Jinjoo yelled not taking her eyes of the cards in her hands. “I fold,” she announced.

“Don’t forget about her assistance in the nursing home,” Kyungsoo added more poker chips to the pile in the middle and looked at Daeun, daring her to do the same.

Daeun stared at Kyungsoo dead in the eyes, took out the chip from her pocket and throw it on the pile. “There is so much for me to write about you guys,” Daeun sighed, “I will make sure not to write bad things about you.”

“You mean like how loud Jongin’s snore is,” Kyungsoo interjected.

“Or when Seyeon has to swallow pills, she has to crush them before taking one,” Jinjoo added, and the trio laughed out loud.

Seyeon rested her elbow on the window frame, closed her eyes and rubbed her temples with her fingers. “You guys are seriously the bane of my existence.”

“Still, thank you for not writing anything personal between us,” Jongin thanked the reporter.

Daeun waved her hand, “No problem, work is work, and when we hang out, we are just Shim Daeun and Kim Jongin, two out of friends of six.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter