The Permission

Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Despite of the happy occasion of the unity of their love, the gloomy sky seems to reflected Jongin’s gloomy mood on the newlyweds’ journey to Seyeon’s house. “Do you regret marrying me, Babe?” Seyeon’s question brought Jongin back from his train of thoughts.

“What? I am the luckiest man in the whole world to have you as my wife,” was Jongin’s reply.

Seyeon scoffed, “Yeah, I can see that.”

“No no no, it wasn’t like that Buns. As you know, we are on our way to my potential death.”

“You know despite your good intention of calling me ‘Buns’, it never really suits me.”

“You have no idea how the name ‘Buns’ was the perfect pet name for you,” Jongin could practically feel the dagger Seyeon was throwing him, nevertheless he continued “Of course it was seven years ago, but doesn’t it represent how much time we spent together, my love?”

Knowing that she would never be able to change her husband’s mind, Seyeon brought the subject back, “Anyway, you are exaggerating. It is true that my parents or my brother might not be too happy about us eloping. But they surely wouldn’t kill you, I know at least three reasons.”

“Please elaborate, oh dear wife,” Jongin said as he kissed Seyeon’s wrist.

“One, it is a felony. Two, it is a treason,” Seyeon moved closer and stared at Jongin. “Three, they wouldn’t let me become a widow barely an hour after I got married, won’t they? Loving husband,” Seyeon kissed her husband’s cheek.

Seyeon's action did ease Jongin’s mind a little, “But the fact that your father is the Vice Admiral and your brother is Junior Lieutenant of the Navy doesn’t change.”

“And the Navy’s loyalty lies to your family. Therefore, you should not be too bothered about that fact. Okay?”

“One thing I know for sure though,” Jongin said as the car halted at traffic light. “Their loyalty lies to Princess Seyeon,” Jongin was lucky enough he had time to spare to kiss his bride.

The sound of horn from the car behind them cut the loving moment of the newlyweds short. “Hear goes nothing,” Jongin sighed and stepped on the accelerator.

 

❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧

 

Jongin and Seyeon stood with their hands clasped tight in front of the gate of Seyeon’s house, or as of today, Jongin’s in-law’s house.

Seyeon chuckled “Whenever you’re are ready Babe,” followed by Jongin’s—unwillingly—finger pressing the bell of the gate.

A few moments later the intercom showed a familiar face of the house keeper, that worked in the house even before Seyeon was born, “Welcome back Jongin Gun and Miss Seyeon” greeted the middle age woman. “Hello auntie, please open the gate.”

 

As Jongin and Seyeon stepped in the family room, Seyeon’s mother can be seen watching the daily drama most of middle age women in the country enjoy so much, while her father and brother looking obviously would rather be somewhere else, or change the channel to the football game they missed yesterday.

When Seyeon’s father became aware of the presence of Jongin and Seyeon, he stood up immediately, “Jongin Gun,” resulting Seyeon’s mother and brother to stood up as well.

“Your Highness, please accept our greetings,” followed by a bow from Seyeon’s family.

Jongin rushed to help Seyeon’s mother up, “Please Sir, Madam don’t be so formal with me. You have known me for more than a decade by now. Please take your seat.”

Seyeon’s father moved to sit on the right side of the middle seat, where he usually sat when Jongin comes by, as Jongin has higher rank than him. “Sir, for today, please sit in the middle,” Jongin guided Seyeon’s father to sit where he sat before.

Jongin’s action made Seyeon’s brother looked confusedly at Seyeon, to which she only replied with a nod.

When Jongin took Seyeon’s hand, and brought her to kneel on the floor with him, the rest of the family immediately fall down to their knees as well. “Your Highness, please this is inappropriate,” Seyeon’s father tried to help Jongin up.

“Yes, Your Highness, at least please sit on the edge of the sofa,” Seyeon’s mother added.

“As the custom dictate, I would usually agree with you, but today is not like any other day Madam,” Seyeon could feel Jongin’s hand began to tremble, while her family members took their seat back.

As Seyeon put her other hand on top of Jongin’s trembling hand, Jongin started “I have done a great sin, Sir,” he could see Seyeon’s father’s expression starting to change.

“What is this sin that you have done, Your Highness?” Seyeon’s father's tone sounds different than it was moments ago.

 “After the discharge ceremony at the military base, me, Seyeon, and four of our friends, as well as our families went to have lunch Sir.”

“I am aware. My daughter told me about it.” The change of title her father referred her to, did not go unnoticed by anyone in the room.

“Sir, I have been in love with your daughter since the moment she enters my classroom when we were nine.”

“Thank you for loving my daughter,” as seconds went by, his tone did not sound any friendlier.

“This past two years apart from her make me—and Seyeon—realized, that we cannot be without each other for even a second longer.”

“She might have mentioned something similar a couple of times.”

Jongin gathered all his courage, and raised his head to look at his father-in-law in the eyes. “You know I would do anything to make Seyeon happy.”

Could not take the procrastination any longer, Seyeon’s brother intercepted, “Please get to your point—“, to earned a warning glare from his mothe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter