Silver Band

Lovestruck in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One year ago: Yangyang

 

"Are you really sure it's going to rain today?"

"That's what it said in the app." 

Sinb leans out of Yerin's arm to take a look outside. It does look like it'll rain, but the where and when is something they'll never know.

"What if it doesn't?" Sinb whines. She pouts and looks to Yerin for an answer.

"That's okay." Not taking her eyes off from her book, she blindly reaches out for the other and her hair. "Come here."

Retreating back, Sinb lays her head atop Yerin's chest, playing with the fabric of her gray cotton sweater. 

With only the record playing in the background, it was peaceful— the younger rubbing the other's squishy belly, with a hand  running through her hair.

The architect finds herself rereading the same paragraph over and over again, with no words registering into her head. Inhaling sharply, she says, "For some reason, this book suddenly got really really boring." 

Sinb hums and leans up on one arm. "I know something better to look at." Her cardigan slips off on one side, revealing her rose tattoo on her upper arm.

Yerin puts her book away and gets more comfortable on the bed. She the soft skin, as if she was feeling the details of the ink. "Does it have a meaning?"

The younger hums again. "I just thought it was pretty." Laying back down on Yerin's chest, she listens to the beating of her heart. "I try to not think too deep about things anymore."

Kissing the top of her head, Yerin chuckles. "I like it."

"Why?"

"Just because." Taking a hold of Sinb's hand and threading their fingers together, she sighs. "Like you. I like who you are. The way you dress, the way you talk, the way you laugh, the way you kiss me— everything."

Sinb breathes out and snuggles deeper into the older's hold. Her ears perk up when she hears a quiet pitter patter. Jerking up, she looks out the window and taps the glass. "Yerin, look! It's raining."

Sitting up as well, she smiles at the sight as it starts pouring harder. "I told you it would." Nuzzling Sinb's neck, they both giggle at the feeling. 

"Let's go!" she chirps.

"What, where?" Yerin asks, but the other is already halfway out the door.

Chasing after her, she yells out, "Lee Sinb! Be careful! At least put your sandals on!!!"

The younger screams out of joy, running down the hill. She didn't care about the pebbles and dirt under her feet— only the drops of rain that fell on her face. 

Yerin is right behind her, blinking away any water that's coming to her eyes. Sinb holds her hands out, wanting to hold the older's. 

As they turn and dance in the rain, their smiles never leave their faces.

It felt amazing. 

The taller wraps her arms around the other, and lifts her up. Spinning, it brought loud laughs out of both of them. The cool rain contrasted their warm cheeks and hugs.

For the first time ever, Yerin was happy she didn't have an umbrella. 

--

Wrapped in towels to absorb the water and to keep themselves warm, Yerin brews coffee. As she watches drops come through the filter, Sinb clears quietly.

"You leave in two weeks, right?"

"Yeah. I asked for exactly a month off," Yerin says, leaning back in her chair.

Sinb covers herself better with the towel. "If you ask for another month off, would you get fired?"

"Why? Should I stay longer?" she smirks. "I can always go back to my old boss if I get fired." Pouring both of them a cup, she takes a sip and sighs in comfort.

Glancing at the younger, a thought comes to her mind. "If I did stay... Would you marry me?" 

Sinb's eyes grow wide, and stiffly turns towards Yerin. "You're joking...are you?"

"No. I'm for real," she says, as if it's the most casual thing. "We have a cozy place. And we really like each other." Slipping her hand into the other's, she gives her a small smile. "I thought you weren't going to be hesitant, reluctant, or scared anymore."

Smiling back, Sinb giggles, "Wouldn't a wedding be so fun?"

"Right?" Yerin's dimples pop out as she agrees. "Let's have one for fun, hm? What do you say?"

Nodding happily, she laughs out an 'okay'.

As their laughs die down, Sinb raises an eyebrow. "But... was that it for your proposal?"

--

 

Sinb didn't have a cellphone. She always borrowed Jackson's or used the landline back at the ramen house. 

But she did have a fantasy:

To be proposed to with a song, sung through a payphone.

So that's exactly what Yerin did. Or, at least was told to do.

While Sinb went to work, Yerin walked all around, looking for a payphone. When she did find one, she comes back to it after grabbing a guitar. Looking around (hoping not to be judged or interrupted), she inserts a couple of coins— just enough to make sure she doesn't run out of time to get disconnected. 


"Hello?" Dahyun answers.

"May I speak with Lee Sinb?" the line asks.

"Mystery~ there's someone on the phone for you."

Sinb knew exactly who it was. However, it didn't mean her heart was calm in any way at the moment. 

"Hello?" she says in a sweet tone.

There's no reply.

But then the sound of a guitar comes through, and she presses the phone closer to her ear. She squeals, making Dahyun even more curious than before.

The song being played is the same song as what Sinb was trying to learn on the ukulele. (also known as the time she purposely ignored Yerin)

She laughs at the choice of song, but continues to listen.

 

"I can say that loving you is easy 

I don't need to prove a single thing 

Somewhere along the way, I guess you got under my skin"

 

Her heart skips a beat as she listens to Yerin's sweet voice, imaging how serene she probably looks right now with her guitar.

As the song comes to an end, there's a deep breath that sounds out through the phone.

"Lee Sinb, will you marry me?"

Biting her tongue to stop herself from screaming, she chuckles happily.

"Yes. I will."

When the call ends, Dahyun just shoots her a knowing look with a snide smile. "You're crazy."

--

 

"Be careful." Putting her hand out, she helps Yerin up the ladder onto the roof of the trailer.

They were back out on the hill, this time on a perfect sunny day. Both of them wore the most flower-y dress they could find, and even picked up some corsages for today's occasion.

Setting up her tripod with her camera, Yerin tells Sinb where to stand so that she's in the center of the frame.

"Ready?" she calls out. Pressing the red button to start recording, she quickly moves to the younger's side, lacing their fingers together.

"The wedding of Jung Yerin and Lee Sinb will now begin," the former says to the camera professionally.

Sinb lets out a cheer and bounces in place.

"Lee Sinb, do you promise to love Jung Yerin for the rest of your life?" she says, turning her head to the other. 

"Yes!" Sinb responds, full of enthusiasm. "Jung Yerin, do you promise to love Lee Sinb for the rest of your life?"

"Yes!" Yerin firmly says like a soldier. She suddenly bends down and gives the girl beside her a big kiss on the cheek. Straightening up again, she returns to her professional role. "Do you promise to stay together until your hair turns gray and our knees get weak?"

Giggling, Sinb shouts out another yes, and returns the kiss on the cheek.

With now peach cheeks, Yerin asks, "Even in sun, rain, snow, hail, or wind, do you pro– wait no, SWEAR to never leave each other's side?"

With a laugh, the younger yells out a prolonged yes. Tightening their interlocked hands, she takes a deep breath. "I now pronounce you—"

"Wait wait wait," Yerin interrupts. "We're missing something."

Sinb glances between the camera and her soon-to-be wife, wondering what is missing.

Taking something out of her pocket, Yerin holds out her hand and opens it— revealing two shiny silver rings.

Sinb's unsure of how to react, but she puts a smile on despite it. Taking one, she lets go of the older's left hand, slowly slipping the band around her ring finger.

Yerin does the same, but adds a kiss to the back of her hand after. 

There's a sparkle in Yerin's eyes; pure adoration, maybe. Love?

Sinb doesn't spend too much time looking as she leans in for the sealing kiss.

They're married.

As they pull away after some time, they lean their foreheads against each other. 

Sinb whispers, just like the breeze through their ears, "Promise to never take it off."

------

 

Present 

 

Switching between her laptop and desktop, Yerin looked through multiple layouts for a new project. Proposals, ideas, groundwork, blueprints— the usual deal.

Leaning back in her chair, she fidgets with the ring on her finger as she thinks.

She hears a familiar knock on the door, a specific way Sojung does it to announce her presence. "Hey, do you want ice cream? I'm going out to get some."

"...it's literally 10 degrees outside, why would you get ice cream."

"The cold has never bothered me anyway," Sojung sings.

"...I'll get strawberry then," Yerin says blankly.

"Okay, I'll be back~"

She waves at her as the taller leaves. Looking at the back of her hand, she eyes the ring on her finger— how it shines in the light, how smooth it felt, and how much it made her feel just by looking at it.

I bet she threw hers away.

---

 

"Just finished?" 

"I actually have five more minutes, but you can go ahead. I'll look around for you. Oh, I also checked and yes—we do have the ice cream you like." Eunha waves her hand away as another customer comes up to her register.

Yewon grabs a cart and starts going around through each aisle, checking things off of her list. 

"You already got that much? You're fast," Eunha tells her when she sees her again.

"I know what to get," Yewon shrugs. 

As Yewon continue

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter