Sometimes Love Just Isn’t Enough

Smitten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When three firm knocks echoed throughout the whole apartment, Shuhua rushed to throw on her shirt, freshly out of the shower, and getting ready to head to the airport to bid her friends’ farewell. 

 

“Shuhua! The door!” Yuqi yelled from her room. Shuhua rolled her eyes, already making her way towards the door in a haste. 

 

When she opened the door, Shuhua was surprised to see Tzuyu at the other end of it; hands in her pocket, and a nervous look on her face. 

 

“Hey! What are you doing here? I thought we were all meeting at the airport in an hour?” Shuhua greeted, a confused look on her face. She took a hold of Tzuyu’s wrist, taking it out of her pocket, and leading her further into the apartment. 

 

“I’m not leaving.” Tzuyu confessed. 

 

Shuhua twirled around after closing the door, “w-what?”

 

Tzuyu shrugged her shoulders, “I’m staying. Here. In New York.” 

 

Shuhua blinked, “t-that’s great, Tzu! But, what about Seattle? Your apartment? Your job?” 

 

Tzuyu approached her, taking a hold of Shuhua’s hands. “I sold my apartment before I came here, and I got a job at the hospital where your mom—,” Shuhua cut her off, taking her hands away from Tzuyu. 

 

“And you think that’s a good idea? Tzu, working in the same hospital as my mother is not a good idea. I mean, that’s practically a death sentence on your nursing career.” Shuhua’s sudden panic took Tzuyu by surprise. The younger girl started to pace in front of her, “Tzu, that’s a horrible idea.” Shuhua repeated. 

 

“Okay, okay,” Tzuyu stopped Shuhua in the middle of her pacing, hands cradling her face softly, “Shu, breathe. Let’s talk about this, okay?” Tzuyu led Shuhua to sit on the couch, hand clutching onto Shuhua’s in comfort. 

 

“I took the job to be closer to you and Yuqi, Shu. I don’t care about your mom. She can’t do anything to me, if that’s what you’re worried about.” Tzuyu assured her, wanting to get rid of the anxiety that washed over Shuhua’s whole being. 

 

“If you did this because you felt guilty about leaving me…. Tzuyu, it’s okay… I’m not angry anymore. I love you, Tzu. I love all four of you. It’s really okay.” Shuhua said, intertwining their fingers together. 

 

Tzuyu looked at their hands, a sad smile on her lips. “Why are you not happy about this? I thought… I thought this would be a good thing?” 

 

“I am happy, Tzu, but not if you’re doing this for me. Don’t make such an important decision like this for me.” Shuhua said, eyebrows furrowed, and a frown evident on her lips. 

 

“But you’re important to me. You’ll always be important to me.” Tzuyu said. 

 

Shuhua sighed, “you know what I mean, Tzuyu.” 

 

Tzuyu softly smiled, nodding, “I’m happy with my decision,” she assured Shuhua, looking her straight in the eyes to relay her emotions. 

 

Shuhua scanned Tzuyu’s eyes, and when she only saw sincerity in her brown orbs, Shuhua could only smile back at her friend, “okay, Tzu. Then, I’m happy… as long as you’re happy.” 

 

//

 

Soojin doesn’t know why she was here at the airport. It’s not like she formed some type of bond with any of Shuhua’s friends. Nothing passed respectful greetings and basic small talk, and for some, specifically a tall and dimpled gal; an exchange of threats and constant fuel to the already growing fire. 

 

“I’m guessing Tzu, here, told you two her big news already?” Kun asked Shuhua and Yuqi, a kind smile on his lips. Soojin hadn’t conversed much with Kun, but she got the sense of serenity with him. He seems very collected and had a guardian and protectiveness trait to him. 

 

Soojin saw Shuhua and Yuqi nod, a grin on each of their faces. 

 

“What news?” Soyeon piped up from Yuqi’s side. 

 

Soojin and Soyeon had not spoken yet. In fact, they were trying to avoid each other as much as possible to prevent any type of outbursts to happen in public for everybody’s sake. They tried their best, but they would be foolish to think no one noticed the growing uncomfortable tension surrounding the both of them. 

 

“Tzuyu’s staying in New York. She got a job at the Presbyterian Hospital, where Shuhua’s mom works.” Jackson announced, smiling proudly at his friend, and extending his fist for a quick friendly touch of their knuckles. 

 

Soojin could not mirror any type of excitement that the rest of the group portrayed for Tzuyu. None of that sort. She just felt a boiling sensation in the pit of her stomach that just wanted to explode. 

 

“Your mom works at that hospital?” Soojin questioned, tilting her head at her girlfriend that was pressed comfortably into her side. Shuhua blinked, avoiding her eyes. “Y-Yeah…” 

 

Tzuyu raised a brow, as if proving a point. “you didn’t know?” 

 

Soojin’s eyes snapped towards the girl she wasn’t very fond of, gaze hardening, and jaw clenching. “Apparently not. But I have a feeling I’ve already met her.” Her arm that was slung around Shuhua was now tucked and crossed over her other arm, distancing herself. 

 

Shuhua stared at her, eyes beaming with concern. Soojin could feel Shuhua’s eyes burning against the side of her face, but she refused to look in her direction, finding her shoes less overwhelming to look at. 

 

“Okay, guys, we gotta get to our gate.” Amber pouted, opening her arms to initiate their last group hug. 

 

Soojin and Soyeon stayed glued and stiff in their spot, avoiding each other’s eyes. 

 

“It was nice meeting you guys,” Kun extended his hands towards Soojin and Soyeon for a firm handshake, “I’ve got my eyes on you two.” Kun gave the two girls a playful wink, and Soojin could appreciate the protectiveness that Kun had for his friends. Especially with the relief of knowing that Shuhua at least had close friends who care about her like a family would. 

 

Jackson and Amber prompted a more casual approach, offering high fives and fist bumps instead. “Ditto on what Kun said.” 

 

“Next time, I say we go clubbing.” Jackson’s eyebrows danced towards Soojin. 

 

“For sure.” Soojin said with a polite smile. 

 

With their final goodbyes, the three headed for their gates. Soojin glanced towards her girlfriend and didn’t miss the slight pout on her lips, as she watched the people she saw as her only family, walking away again. 

 

“Hey, you guys go ahead. I need to talk to Soojin…. about something…” Shuhua told the three, eyes pleading towards Yuqi. Her best friend automatically read her eyes, and gave Shuhua a firm nod. 

 

“C’mon, Tzu, we’ll give you a ride.” Yuqi took a hold of Soyeon’s hand, before hooking her other arm with Tzuyu’s. 

 

Tzuyu gave Shuhua a worried look, before her eyes drifted towards Soojin’s stoic expression, gaze hardening. “I’ll call you, Shuhua.” She told the younger girl, and Shuhua only nodded in return. 

 

Tzuyu didn’t have any intentions of enraging Soojin, only wanting to provide comfort for Shuhua, but seeing the small clench to the business woman’s jaw, Tzuyu assumed that she only added more fuel to the fire burning in Soojin’s eyes, and honestly, Tzuyu did not feel apologetic for doing so, whatsoever. 

 

Shuhua’s eyebrows met in the middle, bottom lip between her teeth nervously. “Soojin…” Shuhua took a hesitant step towards Soojin who watched her with unreadable eyes. 

 

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to have this conversation here.” Soojin said, reaching for Shuhua’s hand to lead the both of them back to her car.

 

“You’re mad at me.” Shuhua whispered, but Soojin only tightened her hold onto Shuhua’s hand, “not at you.” Shuhua frowned, adjusting her hand to intertwine their fingers together, a kind of reassurance to herself that they were going to be okay.

 

When they got into the car, Shuhua stopped Soojin from starting the car, fearing that something bad may happen on the road if Soojin proceeded to drive while angry. 

 

“Talk to me.” Shuhua placed her hand onto Soojin’s cheek, forcing her to turn towards her and look Shuhua in the eyes. 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that your mom was the doctor that treated me?” Soojin questioned, straight to the point, like she always was. 

 

Shuhua blinked, hands lowering back onto her lap, where her fingers nervously fiddled with each other. “I d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter