DubChaeng creating troubles.

Ordinary life of the university students.

 

 The problematic duo walked out of the administrative building after filling a form for the voluntary work at the end of the week. They had been playing around and laughing while going through the busy campus. It was like this until Chaeyoung caught the familiar backpack. She slightly bumped her friend.

 “Look. Isn’t it Mina?”

 Dahyun looked to where the younger one was pointing and smiled, confirming the assumption. They were thinking of whether it was okay to approach since Mina wasn’t alone. But the thought disappeared immediately.

 The girl that stood beside Mina hugged her, snaking hands around her waist and squeezing her tightly. She then planted a rather long kiss on her cheek and with a satisfied grin stepped away. Chaeyoung had opened. They didn’t want to assume anything out of just one episode, but shy and quiet Mina never was overly touchy with others. It took her almost a year to get used to friendship with Tzuyu’s surroundings. And now she just allowed someone to kiss her like that.

 Dahyun shook her head slightly, getting over the shock she received and raised the finger to her temple.

 “Wait, it’s nothing, right? It’s been a year, maybe she just changed a lot.”

 Chaeyoung was still silent as her thoughts were spinning over the two persons that she watched from the distance. The blonde girl had an unusual expression. Chaeyoung would guess this smile and eyes everywhere – flirty. The girl lifted her eyebrow, slightly moving head to the side. And the smaller one was ready to snap any second. She never was the most protective one out of their friends. Usually, it was Jeongyeon to shield all of them in conflicts, but Tzuyu was her best friend since God knows when and the sight was making her mad.

 The two were completely lost. Dahyun tried to find a normal explanation. Maybe it is Mina’s friend that Tzuyu talked about but Mina was awkward to even accept a drink that Dahyun brought when they were meeting during school years. How a person could change drastically in just a year? This was what couldn’t settle in Dahyun’s head.

 Mina and a stranger soon moved, hurrying up somewhere. Chaeyoung almost followed them if not for Dahyun that pulled her back.

 “No, we should talk to Tzuyu first.” She said.
 “And how you imagine that ‘Tzuyu, sorry, but your wife is cheating on you’. Chaeyoung went sarcastic.
 “Well, she did nothing out of ordinary to say it was cheating.”

 Chaeyoung thought. She was right, Mina just received a kiss on the cheek, nothing more happened between them. It was a misunderstanding from their side. If Mina was this comfortable with someone, they must be happy and not overreact like now.

 “You’re right. Maybe I just went a little crazy.”

 

 They didn’t tell anyone but after this, their worries still were present, though the duo didn’t talk about it at all. Chaeyoung was concerned to the point she found it hard to sleep. Tzuyu was her best friend for ages now and she felt like it was her duty to keep away all the bad influences and people who could possibly hurt them.

 She woke up early the other day and found the black hoodie that can cover her up. Jeongyeon was still sleeping, so the smaller one skipped from the room and went to the university. She was aware that Mina will be early today and she knew that she would probably enter through the main gate. Chaeyoung found a perfect space to observe without being noticed. She waited counting the birds that were flying above when someone stopped near her. She glanced at the weird person and focused on the entrance again.

 Ten minutes before the first period she noticed the familiar figure exiting the bus. She carefully watched as Mina made her way to the gates where she greeted few other girls. It was a bit hard to recognize the blonde girl from that time. She had a ponytail today and wore a comfortable fit of jeans and blouse. Chaeyoung squinted eyes when that girl linked arms with Mina. The pair hang out with others for a while and Chaeyoung can’t help but notice the way the blonde was clingy and flirty again. She fished out her phone and tried to take some pictures to maybe then show to Tzuyu.

 Then the group went to their classes and Chaeyoung thought to at least follow them to the building. But when she moved the stranger near her sprinted and they bumped into each other.

 “Ah, be careful, please.”

 Chaeyoung looked up.

 “Dahyun?”
 “Chaeyoung? What are you…”

 They stared at each other when suddenly looking for Mina and hurrying up to catch up.

 “You said it wasn’t important but here you are stalking Mina.” Chaeyoung whispered.
 “Oh, then what are you doing?”

 The accused tone made the younger one pout and she pulled the hood to cover her face more. They were carefully going after Mina and her friends keeping a distance and observing the situation.

 “Tzuyu is my best friend. It is normal to care about her relationships.”
 “Maybe you care too much?”
 “Then what are you doing here?”

 She sounded rather offended and loud, stopping completely and glaring holes in her friend. Dahyun bit on her lip feeling sorry. She stepped closer and patted her shoulder.

 “Sorry, bro. I’m worried too. I just feel bad that we interfering a lot.”
 “We are doing nothing criminal.”

 Chaeyoung looked to the building where Mina was heading but didn’t see the girl’s presence there. She turned to Dahyun then.

 “I think we need to at least ask Tzuyu about Mina’s friends.”

 

 In the evening the girls were invited to Tzuyu’s place to study together on the project in psychology. Jeongyeon brought the takeouts for them and the girls took a break from their laptops to have dinner. Chaeyoung and Dahyun were throwing each other a look urging the other to start the conversation they planned but none of them was comfortable enough to do it. Suddenly Jeongyeon mentioned Nayeon, Mina’s friend that almost knocked her out cold, and Chaeyoung felt that it was the right time.

 “Speaking of which, it’s great that Mina got friends so fast.”
 “Yeah, compared to the school days, she looks more … talkative.” Dahyun supported her awkwardly.

 Tzuyu nodded munching on the food. She didn’t answer, thinking that it was just a remark, that won’t be expanded into a conversation. Chaeyoung had to come up with something fast.

 “People do change a lot after graduating.”
 “Are you jealous that Mina doesn’t hang out around as much?” Jeongyeon teased.
 “I'm just happy that she found good friends.”

 Dahyun saw Tzuyu getting interested in the conversation and asked the question.

 “You met them, right? How was it?”

 Tzuyu made a serious face.

 “I think they are nice.”

 The duo wanted to facepalm. Why when the question was so important and needed further thinking, Tzuyu just answeres short?

 

 Chaeyoung and Dahyun sat on the staircase of the art building. Chaeyoung was making sketches while the other one wrote notes to her music class. It was a nice sunny day and they had plenty of time before the next class. The situation that included Mina was bothering Chaeyoung so much that she couldn’t stop thinking about it. Even now as she drew happy faces in her sketchbook, her focus was on the question of whether she should herself investigate the problem or just talk with Tzuyu. Nevertheless, she felt bad for accusing Mina on the spot without even trying to dig deeper.

 “You know, it was so terrible from our side to think bad of Mina.” Chaeyoung said. “It could be the blondy’s problem. Mina would never do anything like that.”
 “Like what?”

 Dahyun that looked in her notes raised head with such speed that something cracked in her neck. She shivered watching Tzuyu frowning at them with a displease on her face. Chaeyoung bit on her tongue. She shouldn’t talk about this while they were expecting the girl to come but the idea suddenly popped in her head and she just voiced it out without thinking.

 “What happened?” Tzuyu asked, staring Chaeyoung in the eyes.

 The smaller one felt unpleasant turns in her stomach. She gulped, not daring to look away.

 “Well, you know…”
 “Tzuyu, it was our fault. We just overthought.”

 It was obvious that Dahyun’s words didn’t make the situation clear and Tzuyu only got more confused about everything, so Chaeyoung got up and started to slowly explain things.

 She knew Tzuyu won’t be mad at them, they did nothing bad. She might be offended that they kept it secret or thought bad about Mina, but she won’t make a big fuss about it. While telling, Chaeyoung felt like something was lifted from her shoulders. It was hard to keep all the worries to herself.

 “Sorry I didn’t tell you.”

 Chaeyoung felt like a small puppy that did something wrong. She looked up at Tzuyu waiting for her to say something but she was so deep into her thoughts that the two friends started to worry a little.

 “I do think that Sana is a bit over-clingy with people, but Mina said she just always like this. I observed her a lot all as well.”

 For some reason, Chaeyoung’s heart dropped. She saw the uncomfortable frown on her friend’s face and it was enough for her to understand that this situation was bothering her. Dahyun widened her eyes going closer to comfort the taller one.

 “It’s okay to be a little jealous and needy, especially when you two spent the last year apart.” Dahyun said softly.
 “We all know Mina. She would never do this to you.”
 “I know she won’t but what if…”

 Chaeyoung wasn’t used to see the insecure side of her best friend. Tzuyu could joke around saying that she’s the prettiest and best human being then get flustered and hide her face, but she tried to never show her fears to them. Once when her team lost because she had an injury and couldn’t play well, she stayed in the locker room for hours crying her eyes out. Her three friends stayed with her that evening and it was the most heartbreaking thing they saw. Chaeyoung was breaking inside comforting the girl and now looking in her sad eyes she felt the same pain spreading in her body.

 “You’re the mighty Chou, that blonde girl is nothing compared to you.” Dahyun raised her voice.

 Tzuyu chuckled and sighed deeply.

 “Yeah, nothing to worry about. Thanks, bro.”

 They did a fist bump and the previous conversation died. But Chaeyoung still was worried and now knowing that Tzuyu wasn’t sure about that Sana girl, she made sure to meet up with Mina and talk it out.

 

 The two met on the other day outside campus in the little café. There weren’t many people and when Chaeyoung came, she found Mina typing in her laptop by one of the tables. When they greeted each other and the waiter asked if she wants anything, Chaeyoung mentally prepared herself to be straightforward.

 “So, Chaeyoung-ah, what did you want to ask me?”

 Her eyes were glowing with innocence and purity. Chaeyoung even felt bad for possibly ruining her mood or maybe even their friendship but she was sure that Tzuyu would never say this to Mina and would silently bear those thoughts in her head.

 She made a comfortable pose and started.

 “So, Dahyun and I saw you around campus with a strange girl. And I thought you were a bit touchy with her.” She saw Mina frowning. “Don’t misunderstand. I’m not here to accuse you. You can do whatever you want but I’m just worried about my friend here.”

 She tried to clear out all the conflicts in advance so her speech won’t be rude, but it was obvious that Mina wasn’t happy with what they were heading to.

 “Again, I’m not accusing or anything. I just thought it was a bit strange. I just want to know if that girl had ever shown you… any…liking in you.”

 The older one was obviously uncomfortable. She leaned back into her chair losing that grace in her posture. Hands crossed on her chest.

 “At first, no, she never showed me any liking.” She mimicked the girl. “Second, why are you even digging into my personal life, Chaeyoung?”
 “I was worried about my friend.”
 “Or maybe you saw your chance?”

 The words struck two of them in shock. Almost everyone in their group of friends knew that Chaeyoung liked Tzuyu romantically for a long time. People were saying that they are a bit different and they won’t last long if started dating. This was only igniting Chaeyoung to try more to show everyone that they were wrong. But unfortunately, Tzuyu only saw a friend in the smaller fellow. They had a serious conversation about this and ever since that swore to be friends to the end of the world. Then the likeness slowly went and when Tzuyu met Mina, Chaeyoung felt like that was exactly what was destined.

 But this topic was still sensitive for her. She cared for Tzuyu, maybe more than a usual friend will but she never jumped over that line. This was making some situations uncomfortable, especially when their drunk friends were mentioning this story. This was why sometimes Mina was uncomfortable with Chaeyoung as well, but she long ago shoved it aside and forgot it.

 “If I felt like you’re a bad person, I would have to make Tzuyu break up with you a long time ago. I’m only saying this because I know my friends and if they feel uncomfortable about something, I can see that.”

 Chaeyoung raised her voice and looking worried Mina in the eyes, she got up and went out of the café, not even waiting for her order to arrive.

 Mina sighed and messed her hair.