When couples talk about their insecurities.

Ordinary life of the university students.

 Ever since the party, Tzuyu has been treated weirdly by her girlfriend. She felt like something was off. Mina would give her short kisses or avoid meeting up to have lunch together. Honestly, she couldn’t explain it. It just felt strange. Sure, they had a few minor arguments over time, but the reason for this one Tzuyu simply couldn’t pinpoint.

 Tzuyu stood in front of the Languages Department waiting for Mina’s class to be over. Few of the students Tzuyu knew also accompanied her. Apparently, they were on the way home when noticed Tzuyu being lonely and decided to come and talk. They were really nice and Tzuyu liked them. Smart nice girls with a lot of enthusiasm. They kept talking about their seniors and the opportunities the Med Department was giving them when the students suddenly flooded from the building. Tzuyu got a little surprised at the crowd hurrying home. She wasn’t even sure if she would be able to catch Mina. She didn’t text her about picking her up, so it would be terrible to miss her.

 However, before she could even excuse herself and go closer to the entrance, her hand was pulled. She turned around and was surprised to see Mina standing behind her with a small smile on her face. Tzuyu grinned at her, ready to take her girlfriend’s hand, before realizing that they were in public. She quickly turned her attention to the girls she talked with and thanking for the company, she excused the two of them.

 “How did you know I was here?” Tzuyu asked when they were making the way to the car.
 “Saw you in the window.”

 Mina giggled and circled her arms around Tzuyu’s. They reached the car talking about the day and laughing. Tzuyu placed Mina’s bag on the back seat as the girl was taking her usual place beside Tzuyu in the car. The road back was busy and the girls were jamming to the music and blabbing nonstop.

 “Chaeyoung’s paintings are placed in the university exhibition. We must go.” Tzuyu said.

 She suddenly felt the atmosphere drop. Confused about why Mina became silent, she glanced to her side and noticed her concentrating on one spot in front of her. Was Mina having some issues with Chaeyoung again? Do they really need to talk it through again?

 She sighed loudly as to show her distress and the rest of the ride they spent in silence.

 

 Mina began having these problems with Chaeyoung ever since she’s been dating Tzuyu. She always thought that Tzuyu and Chaeyoung had special relationships. She knew they were friends for a long time, growing up together but the way Chaeyoung looked at her best friend seeded some doubts in her head.

She was too afraid to ask Tzuyu about it, thinking that the younger one might not know everything and change sides. And she wasn’t that close to Chaeyoung to approach her on the matter. So it made her deal with insecurities on her own for nearly two months until she finally got mad at Tzuyu.

 It all happened because the basketball player was being teased for having too many sweats the past few days. Partly it was Mina’s fault as she convinced her girlfriend to eat in the new bakery and they both liked it too much there. So when the teasing increased and the girls were trying to grab Tzuyu’s stomach as to prove they were right, Mina saw red. Chaeyoung slid hands under Tzuyu’s top and Mina shot up from her seat slapping her hands away.

 The group became silent and the awkwardness settled between them. Chaeyoung blinked several times overthinking what just happened. Her face then changed to an apologetic look and she lowered her head, mumbling simple ‘sorry’.

 Tzuyu watched Mina with concern. Her head was completely blank. They were all joking and having fun and she would never think that the simple teasing would make Mina jealous. She frowned feeling disappointed in her girlfriend. About to voice it out, she clenched her jaw in worry and embarrassment when instead saw tears forming in the senior’s eyes.

 Sensing the atmosphere and seeing Mina’s state, Jeongyeon cleared and asked if anyone wanted some drinks. Dahyun supported her idea and stood up pulling blankly looking Chaeyoung to leave the couple alone.

 When the room went silent Mina still avoided looking ad Tzuyu and couldn’t even move to run away. Her heart was pounding and her ears were burning. She wasn’t sure of what she felt. A part of her was still filled with rage, but the other part was embarrassed and sorry. Why did she do that when Chaeyoung was to one to help her out in getting Tzuyu’s favorite dishes and drinks? When Chaeyoung suggested going to the dog café on the date? And when Chaeyoung voiced out her support when Mina needed advice?

 "What just happened?"

 She didn’t notice when Tzuyu got up but now she stood before Mina and her hand was reaching hers. Afraid, she pulled away and stepped back. Tzuyu frowned, never the one to just let conflict be forgotten. She reached again catching her girlfriend’s hand and pulling her closer. Her grip however wasn’t forceful at all. It was rather gentle and relaxing. Mina almost broke down.

 “Please, tell me.”
 “Did you know that Chaeyoung loves you?”
 “Yes.”

 Mina shot her head up. She looked Tzuyu dead in the eyes while her vision was getting blurry. However, she didn’t see any hesitation or worry on Tzuyu’s face as if it was fine to say that. She never felt so confused in her life. She tried to pull her hand back but Tzuyu wouldn’t allow her. Filling the tears ready to escape, she yanked her arm with force. The moment the grip went loose, arms enveloped her body in the warmth.

 “Chaeyoung confessed years ago, even before I knew I like girls.” Tzuyu spoke in her ear. “She is my best friend. I love her and cherish her because she’s my friend and I don’t want that to ever change. That day we clarified all things between us. ”

 Tzuyu ran soothing circles on her back.

 “She might still have feelings but ever since that day, I never felt her romantically reaching to me. You don’t need to worry about it. She’s like a sister to me.”

 That time Tzuyu sounded so mature and thoughtful. Mina never expected this from her. It made her think of her first admiration of a person and how her insults cut scars on Mina. She could still vividly recall how her heart ached that day and how much she suffered afterwards. What was Chaeyoung feeling when she saw her first love rejecting her and then moving forward? Was her heart aching the same way when Tzuyu brought Mina into their group? Was her heart breaking down over and over when she was helping Mina to impress the person Chaeyoung loved?

 She cried loudly, not quite sure were her tears spilling because she got angry and jealous that someone else loved Tzuyu? Or was it because she felt sorry for Chaeyoung?

 

 The last thing Tzuyu wanted is to go back to that conflict again. Back then Mina apologized and her relationship with Chaeyoung were going smoothly, making Tzuyu much happy about it. Then what might have happened again?

 When they parked in front of the supermarket, Mina refused to go with her, reasoning that she was too tired. Tzuyu doubted if her girlfriend even wanted to spend a night at her place. Frustrated, she got her wallet and went groceries shopping.

 Pushing a cart through the rows of food Tzuyu was deep in her thoughts because she never wanted to have a fight with Mina again, especially if the reason for it was minor. She was sure that if the conflict was huge, Chaeyoung would tell her. She absentmindedly placed dog food without thinking and only noticed it while stacking the bags. She grinned to herself, at least something to lighten the mood.

 She carried the bags to the car and placed them on the back seat. Suddenly Mina opened her door and got out of the car. Confused, Tzuyu tilted her head to the side as her girlfriend approached her.

 “Sorry, Momo called. She can’t choose an outfit for her date. I’ll go help her.”
 “Oh, okay.” Tzuyu felt like she shouldn’t let her go. “Do you need a ride?”
 “No, it’s just a ten minute walk from here.”

 She smiled and squeezed Tzuyu’s hand gently. They did it in public to show affection. Tzuyu however didn’t feel like returning the gesture, instead clenching her jaw in the slightest annoyance. Mina’s ways of escaping the serious talks were so childish.

 “Can we talk after that?” She asked.
 “I’ll stay home today.”
 “I can come over.”
 “It’s gonna be late and…”
 “I won’t take long.”

 Accepting her defeat Mina smiled forcefully at her and let go. She stepped aside to see Tzuyu drive off.

 She almost shivered by the look on her girlfriend’s face. They knew each other too well to not know other person’s thoughts. Mina was sure that Tzuyu understood her intention to avoid her and the talk. Honestly, it was childish of her to suddenly change plans and try to shoosh Tzuyu away when all she needed was a nice time with her lover.

 It was more childish of her to be jealous of Chaeyoung. She was Tzuyu’s best friend and she would never allow herself to choose between them but somehow after the stupid mafia game, she was so hurt that Tzuyu chose to save Chaeyoung and not her. She was more envious of the special connection they had, to the point when the two could even read each other’s minds. Mina knew it was developing with time as they were together for almost 16 years. Somehow the fact that Chaeyoung was still single all these years frustrated her. Even if they talked it out one day and Chaeyoung assured her that she was long ago over Tzuyu, recently she couldn’t help but get jealous easily about the shorter girl.

 “You just haven’t seen them together for a year and now you need to get used to it all again.” Momo said when they met to have coffee.
 “But I don’t get jealous over Jeongyeon or Dahyun.”
 “Were they also in love with Tzuyu?” Momo asked surprised.
 “No.”
 “Then why would you be jealous?”

 That was reasonable.

 “Just talk to her about it.”
 “I’m embarrassed.”

 Momo looked her dead in the eyes.

 “Do you want this matter to always stick around?” Mina shook head. “Chaeyoung is her best friend and you need to accept that. And you need to talk with your girlfriend about it.”

 

 Mina was postponing the moment to text Tzuyu she was free. First, she made dinner then homework. When Sana returned at 9, she volunteered to help her with English and after she put the effort into cleaning her room. When she was done it was almost 11. Kind of satisfied with her ability to busy herself, she reached for her phone and texted Tzuyu that she is free but it was late already. She instantly got a text that said Tzuyu will be there in 5 minutes.

 She never knew she could get dressed that fast. She didn’t even have time to think over why Tzuyu was so close to her apartment complex. She jumped out of her room almost crushing into Sana and ran to the door. The lift took her down and when she was outside on the dimly lighted street, she noticed Tzuyu was there already.

 “You’re fast.” She awkwardly came up crossing hands on the chest to avoid the chill wind.
 “I was just around the corner.” Tzuyu’s voice sounded serious.
 “What were you doing there?”
 “Waiting for your text.”

 Mina bit on her lip. So, there was no point in running away, Tzuyu would still catch her nevertheless. She stumbled from one foot to the other uncomfortably and Tzuyu seeing her nervousness pointed to the lonely bench for them to sit.

 “You do know you can always say anything to me.”

 Tzuyu went gently with her and brushed fingers over her wrist. Her hand was fast to find hers and she slightly locked their fingers. Mina’s heart fluttered over the gesture. She sighed in relief.

 “It is stupid.” She whispered.
 “It doesn’t seem to be so for you.”
 “Do you remember the first game you had after we started dating?” Mina closed her eyes leaning to Tzuyu’s shoulder.
 “Yes.”
 “What did I tell you?”

 She grinned wondering if Tzuyu would indeed remember. But deep inside she was sure she would. Tzuyu never was the one to forget anything.

 “You said that you’re extremely jealous, so I need to kiss you every time someone would get too close.”
 “Exactly.” She sighed.

 They went silent for a minute or two, just dealing with their own thoughts. The nights weren’t that warm at all and Mina scooped closer to her girlfriend to stay warm.

 “I’m insecure about being your wife.” Tzuyu suddenly spoke. “Our parents got us married too sudden and I’m worried about it. I’m sure you are the one but what if I’m not enough? What do I need to do as your wife? You don’t even want to tell your friends about the marriage. What if one day you’ll think I’m just a loser?

 Tzuyu sudden outburst, made her heart ache. She watched her worried face with confusion before Tzuyu was done. On reflex, Mina’s hands found Tzuyu’s face and she made her face turn, so their eyes would find each other. The scared gaze looked over her. Mina felt getting dry.

 “You’re everything that I need Tzuyu. No other guy or girl could compete with you. And I don’t want anyone to love me the way you do. I married you not because of the clinic or parents, but because it’s you.” She caressed the cold cheeks. “I’m not telling anyone about us because they just won’t understand. I don’t need anyone to dig into our lives. I just need you beside me.”

 She gently kissed Tzuyu’s nose and pressed their foreheads together. Her body suddenly went hot when Tzuyu circled her waist and made her sit on her lap. The twilight hid them from the spectaculars and the couple was having their little moment together. Mina felt comfortable being pressed to Tzuyu’s body, holding her small face in her arms and feeling their noses brushing.

 “I’m insecure of Chaeyoung.” She whispered.
 “You shouldn’t be.”
 “I know. But I’m jealous that you chose her in that mafia game. And the way you two are close to each other. Almost like you have the same mind.”
 “Wanna know something?” She felt Tzuyu grinning.
 “Sure.”
 “I think our baby beast fell in love with one of your roommates.”

 Mina pulled back, widening her eyes and staring at Tzuyu in surprise. She blinked but the thought couldn’t settle down in her head.

 “Who is it?”
 “I bet it’s Sana. They both went on a date a few days ago.”

 Tzuyu’s hands went up to her spine and gently tickled skin while going down to rest on the small of her back. Still, surprised Mina felt her body shudder under the touches. She felt relief somehow. Not that Chaeyoung wouldn’t be less affectionate towards Tzuyu but that she was indeed true when she said she was over Tzuyu.

 “Do you think they stand a chance?” Mina found support on Tzuyu’s shoulders.
 “Maybe. I think Chaeyoung is a little worried about it.”
 “Sana is a good person. If she feels something for her, she won’t hurt her.”

 Tzuyu nuzzled in Mina’s chest making the girl blush. Hurriedly, she looked around but found no one outside. She let her fingers slightly massage Tzuyu’s neck to which the girl groaned, making Mina’s ears get red.

 “Next time, let’s talk out our insecurities.” Tzuyu mumbled in her sweater.
 “Fine.”

 She planted a long kiss over Tzuyu’s hair, inhaling the sweet aroma.