The mafia game.

Ordinary life of the university students.

 Nayeon was impatient. Everyone knew that she liked Jeongyeon and it seemed that Jeongyeon had mutual feelings. And Nayeon wanted the rest of the girls to meet her and maybe help Nayeon to escalate things. Nayeon was still not sure whether she just wanted to spend time with a pretty girl or she was indeed in love. She never had relationships that lasted more than three months. Something in the relationship was just getting so boring when she would know the person more.

 Now she had a perfect opportunity to gather Tzuyu’s friends and her gang all in one place. Her aunt was leaving town for three days and her huge house will be empty. It was kind of her to allow the group of strangers to have a little house party at her place. She trusted that Nayeon won’t invite the whole city.

 Everyone liked the idea and Nayeon made sure that Tzuyu’s friends were also fine with it. She was bothering Tzuyu for the whole week to make Tzuyu swear that she would drink with them this time. Nayeon thought that the drinks will allow her to relax in their company and maybe open a new side of her.

 So, it was settled. Sana and Momo came by right after Sana’s shift were over, then Jihyo joined them. Mina and the addition to their gang were buying drinks since they were going by car. They all planned to have a sleepover as well.

 Nayeon was putting effort before the mirror while others were doing the same in the living room, setting all the snacks. Jihyo was really excited – she had barely seen Nayeon like that. They weren’t even sure if Nayeon arranged the whole gathering to meet Tzuyu’s friends or Jeongyeon in particular. But she said they spoke on social media quite a lot, just never were brave enough to ask each other out.

 “They are here.” Momo screamed noticing the car pulling over.

 The girls crowded in front of windows trying to have a look at new faces. While Jihyo was being brainwashed by Nayeon’s words of admiration, Sana frowned seeing someone familiar. She practically froze on her spot. Since her awkward lunch with Chaeyoung she felt confused and weird. They barely spent 40 minutes together but already something in this girl stuck Sana. She liked Chaeyoung. Her plan was to meet with her again and maybe spend a great night together, but she never expected the small girl to be Tzuyu’s friend.

 The group went inside and kicking off shoes carried all the stuff to the kitchen. It was awkward at first as two parties were studying one another and looking at Nayeon spinning in front of Jeongyeon complementing her clothes.

 “So, let me introduce my friends first.” Tzuyu returned from the kitchen. “Jeongyeon, Dahyun and Chaeyoung.” She pointed to the girls.

 Mina did the same with other girls and grinned.

 “Okay, let’s get the delivery and start playing games to know each other better.”

 Chaeyoung didn’t say a thing seeing Sana. She gave the girl a friendly smile but nothing more than that.

 The food was ordered and having enough alcohol, the girls gathered in the living room. Nayeon didn’t miss the chance to take the place to Jeongyeon’s right. Jihyo grinned seeing them whispering and giggling. It has been a while since Nayeon acted so girly.

 Mina was laughing with Momo while they both were bringing the cups. Mina’s eyes lingered longer on Chaeyoung and the way she was leaning onto Tzuyu all smiley and happy. She didn’t know what she felt inside her but one thing she knew – she would never try to break their friendship.

 The girls seemed to get along pretty easy and soon they discussed the entire life of each other while waiting for the food to arrive. Sana was throwing glances at Chaeyoung, trying to get some sort of explanation but the younger one instead was ignoring the fact that they already met. Momo was giving up on the alcohol already and was saying nonsense leaving Dahyun to take the beer away from her.

 Mina possessively placed her hand on Tzuyu’s thigh and kept leaning to her every time they were laughing together. Maybe it was by habit or maybe she wanted to prove something. No one said a word, just Jihyo made some assumptions in her head and reminded herself to ask Mina later. 

 When the food arrived, they all were more focused on eating. It made Momo a little sober but the dizziness was still present.

 “Let’s play mafia.” Nayeon suggested.

 She didn’t like silence, especially when she was seated near Jeongyeon and every time their legs brushed, she thought the whole room could hear her heart banging.

 “Great idea, but we need one person to lead the game.”
 “Let’s play few games changing the narrator every time?” Mina suggested.
 “I’ll be the first then.”

 Jihyo grinned seeing no complaints. She pushed the paper container away and asked everyone to close their eyes and show their hands. She felt the power rising in her and in the silence it was easier to look over everyone. She noticed something weird with Sana today. The blonde one wasn’t so lively and loud as she usually was and the way her eyes were constantly on only one person was making Jihyo question what was happening. Tzuyu also sat today in between two dangers that seemed to collide a while ago. Nayeon paid no proper attention to anyone except her crush. This need to be fixed somehow.

 “I’m going to choose Mafias.”

 She bit the lips and stretched hand forward, gently tapping one person’s palm, then another. She could practically see the evil smile on both of their faces.

 “Now the doctor.”

 This was simple. She didn’t even think for a long and tapped the person’s finger.

 “And the detective.”

 It was a bit harder. She knew her friends’ behavior while playing the game and could already predict what will happen but with the others here, she had no idea.

 “Okay, the morning came.”

 The girls raised their heads and looked around, studying each other.

 “Who?” Nayeon asked squinting eyes.
 “I think it’s Mina. Look at her sitting so smug.”

 Sana teased. She was grinning right till she saw Chaeyoung’s eyes on her. It was only for a second but it felt like she wasn’t impressed. Sana awkwardly looked away. Mina fought back the accuse, leaning behind Tzuyu for protection to which the younger one grinned, finding her girlfriend extra cute.

 “They’re an ally, I swear to God.” Nayeon pointed a finger at the couple, seeing their interaction.
 “Well, we don’t know. The first night hasn’t started yet.” Dahyun tried to defeat.

 All attention suddenly went to her. Chaeyoung suspected her then they moved to Sana. Mina and Tzuyu were quiet most of the time, letting others argue.

 “Okay. It’s the night.”

 They all closed eyes and hanging heads low.

 “Mafias has woken up.”

 Two persons looked up, shock on their face then turned into an attempt to hold on to laughter. Luckily, the TV was loud enough. They carefully pointed on one girl to confirm the victim with one another, then showed Jihyo they were done choosing.

 “Alright, doctor.”

 The doctor looked up. The serious eyes considered the people. She had no idea who the mafia wanted to kill, so she needed to give a wild guess and maybe let someone living longer. The girl slowly pointed to the person.

 “And the detective.”

 The last personage raised head. To her, everyone seemed to be normal. It was the first night, she could be a little carefree, right? And well, hope the victim won’t be her.

 “Okay, the morning has come.”

 Everyone opened eyes, looking at each other and seeing the emotions on players faces. Jihyo almost laughed at how obvious one of them was.

 “Momo has died.”
 “What?!”

 Sana rolled on the floor in hysterics with Jihyo following, the other group of friends not really understanding the situation.

 “You’re kidding, right? Me? All the time?”
 “That was the choice.” Jihyo said.
 “You know what I’ll say. It’s Sana and Nayeon. I swear.”

 The room fell into discussion again. Grumpy Momo chewed on her food, saying that she’ll get more food then.

 “It’s Sana, right?” Jeongyeon asked, trying to provoke. “You’re the one who was laughing the hardest.”
 “No, it’s not me. I was laughing because it’s funny that every time Momo is the first to die. You know, we were playing that Hungry Games , where you were supposed to choose the character and see if thus character wins. All three times she died in the first minute.”

 The group giggled and Momo had to defeat herself more. For a while, the game was forgotten. The alcohol slowly affected them and they raised a glass for Momo’s luck.

 “I think Chaeyoung is very quiet now as she killed Momo.” Tzuyu engaged, looking her friend in the eyes.
 “I’m just observing. I think it’s Jeong though. Look at her eyes glowing with competitiveness.”

 They looked at the said girl and she raised hands in the air as to show she was clear.

 “Let’s vote.”

The girls pointed to one another. Sana got 3 votes, Jeongyeon 1, Dahyun 1 and Chaeyoung 2. Sana pretended to wipe out a tear that formed in the corner of her eye.

 “Stupid human beings. I was a civilian.”

 The frustration went through the group. But the second night began. The mafias chose the next person to die and the doctor woke up to save more lives. The detective pointed at the person she considered to be the evil soul and got an answer through Jihyo’s expression. The ones who were already killed almost gasped in shock seeing the real mafias.

 “The morning, ladies. Mina has died though.”

 Jeongyeon and Dahyun went ‘wow’. Tzuyu squinted eyes on the people opposite to her and got the same reaction in return. She comforted her girlfriend and allowed her to lean into Tzuyu’s arm.

 “That’s a conspiracy against our squad. That must be your friends, Tzuyu.”
 “Nayeon then you’re next.” Jeongyeon teased.
 “Why are you saying it? You’re mafia?” Chaeyoung spoke bolder.
 “No, I’m civilian.”

 Tzuyu watched her smaller friend. The way her eyes were sparkling only meant one thing – she knew that Jeongyeon was to blame here.

 “Yeah, we’ve known each other for years. You’re too much into the game now. Why so?” Tzuyu joined.
 “Because we meet your girlfriend’s friends and we’re trying to have fun.”
 “You sure do.”
 “I’m ready to vote.” Chaeyoung announced. “I swear Jeong, it’s you.”

 Jihyo announced the voting. Dahyun, who got suspicious as well, joined her friends in accusing Jeongyeon. Nayeon got nervous for a second but composed herself and pointed at her crush as well.

 “So?” Chaeyoung asked.
 “You got me here.”
 “Yes, I knew it.”

 Tzuyu and Chaeyoung did high-five enjoying a moment of killing one mafia. The other was slowly thinking of a plan for the next night.

 So the next night came. The mafia got up and biting lips pointed at the person to be gone. Then the doctor made her wild guess and the detective got a chance to guess the killer as well.

 “The morning has come. No one died.”
 “Okay, there’s no point in hiding it now.” Chaeyoung said, a smug look on her face. “I’m a detective. And I just checked the Dahyun is not guilty, which means that the only person to be the mafia is Nayeon.”

 Nayeon gasped like she was offended.

 “But why you’re not considering Tzuyu?” She asked.
 “It’s not her. She’s acting all normal.”
 “Then it’s you.” Nayeon exclaimed in surprise. “You are a mafia and you want to turn everyone to me, so you can win.”
 “It’s not Chaeyoung. I’ve been saving her for two nights straight, and the fact that no one died today is an answer that someone else voted for her.”
 “Then it’s you.” Dahyun joined and pointed at Nayeon.

 The others watched with interest. Jihyo gulped her soju and got up, ready to finish the game.

 “Okay, it’s over. The civilian won.”

 The trio fist bummed one another and cheered.

 Mina looked at Tzuyu thinking. She knew it was just a game and they needed to win, but a part of her somehow couldn’t digest the idea that Tzuyu saved Chaeyoung twice and let her die.

 After the second, not so successful, round, Chaeyoung excused herself to the bathroom. She got the direction and followed the instructions. When she was done, she went out and almost bumped into Sana.

 “Hey, can we talk?”
 “I don’t think we have anything to talk about.”
 “About that lunch. I…”
 “Look, Sana. I’m not interested in dating anyone now. And I’m sure you too. Let’s just be friends and forget that kiss.”

 Chaeyoung smiled wearily and hurried to leave Sana to come up with her thoughts to understand what she meant. But suddenly her hand was in a warm grasp and her body was pressing her in the back.

 “Then once we’ll be friends and you’ll be interested, can I ask for a date?”