ChuuLip | Sticky Notes

Our Little Rendezvous

 

A young girl named Jiwoo pitifully looks out the treehouse window, she heaves out a loud sigh.

 

Finally reaching the top of the janky ladder, Jungeun's lil head pops out from the small hole. She looks around the room to look for a familiar girl. Her eyes lights up when she spots her by the far end.

"Yah, Kim Jiwoo!" Jungeun calls out as she crawls on over to the said girl. She picks up Jiwoo's sad aura once she was close enough. "What's wrong?"

Jiwoo side-glances at her, her obvious pout grew more as she turns away. "It's.. nothing, Jungeun." She waves her off.

Jungeun frowns at her, body slouching a bit. "Hey.." She rests her hand on the girl's shoulder. "Auntie always said it's bad to lie, so why are you lying, Jiwoo?"

 

The two girls are in silence for a moment. For Jiwoo, it's the comfortable kind. For Jungeun, it's the unnerving kind. Her gut gets a bad feeling from the atmosphere.

 

"We're moving." Jiwoo breaks the silence with one short sentence, and it renders Jungeun speechless. She turns her whole body to fully look at the older girl. "I'm sorry.."

"Wh- Why?" She whines. "But- You said we'd stay together forever!" Jungeun puffs up her cheeks and chest. "I haven't married you yet, Jiwoo!"

Jiwoo takes a deep breath. She fumbles with her thumbs. "I know that! But mommy and daddy already went looking for a new home so.." She trails off.

Jungeun, betrayed and heartbroken as ever, takes a moment of silence to collect her thoughts.

 

"Can you promise me something?"

 

"What is it, Jungeun?"

 

"If we see each other again, Jiwoo, would you still marry me then?"

 

"As long as you're taller than me, then yes!"

 

//

 

Today, in the present, Jiwoo is already nearing being a young adult.

Jiwoo's been getting mysterious sticky notes on her locker lately. She has no idea who's been placing them nor does she know if it's a simple joke.

The girl even suspected her friend, Jinsol, had been the one doing it. To her defense, the older is extremely cliché and a huge dork. Jinsol would be one to do such things.

 

Today's no different.

 

Jiwoo narrows her eyes at the familiar shiba inu sticky note with a little penguin doodle on the corner of it. She quickly grabs it to read.

 

"Kim Jiwoo,

will you marry me?"

 

"Marry?!" She shouts out loud, making a few people turn their head at her. Jiwoo, clearly embarrassed, mutters a few apologies to the other students.

Jiwoo covers her face and hurriedly walks off. And as cliché as ever, she just had to bump into someone.

"Oh- Sorry! I just-" Jiwoo then rambles on how her day went to a complete stranger she unfortunately bumped into.

 

"Wah, you really didn't change, Jiwoo."

 

Alarmed, Jiwoo looks at the stranger. "How do you- ..Jungeun?" She whispers the last part.

"You recognize me?" Jungeun points at herself with a slight smirk on her lips.

Jiwoo's features visibly redden, she lowers her head and starts giving Jungeun various affectionate punches on her torso. "You--!! It's been so long..!"

Chuckling softly, Jungeun carefully grabs both of Jiwoo's wrist. "Stop that." With a teasing glint in her eyes, she plants a soft kiss on top of her right hand. "How are you?" Jungeun winks.

Ah, what a huge flirt! Jiwoo's eyes slowly widen in realization at what just happened. She sputters out multiple noises and incomplete sentences.

Jiwoo looks up at her once more, noting the height difference they have now. Jungeun catches her gaze. 

 

"Am I tall enough for you?"