HyunSoul | Good Morning

Our Little Rendezvous

 

Dull days were the norm for Kim Hyunjin.

 

Loafing around her room, occasionally going out just to satisfy her needs, Hyunjin simply resided in her room doing this and that. She never really liked the company of others, and yet that's what she always longed for.

Some days, it can get a bit lonesome being confined in an almost empty place she called 'home'. Aeongie, her feline friend, would sometimes come in her room and it'd be the highlight of Hyunjin's time that day. But other than that, she hasn't socialized with people at all.

Jeon Heejin, her next door neighbor, would drop in sometimes. Heejin owned a bakery nearby. She would deliver all sorts of bread for Hyunjin to taste out. Hyunjin thinks that it's really nice of Heejin to give her free bread whenever she can.

Park Chaewon, another neighbor, would also come in. Sometimes even accompanying Heejin when their schedules aligned. Chaewon comes to give Hyunjin a flower crown she makes when she visits the park with a Choi Yerim.

Hyunjin appreciates every single flower crown and loafs of bread she has received thus far.

 

//

 

"Hello." Hyunjin whispers out to the wind as she gently opens her window. The sound of the river flowing enhances with the singing of birds accompanying it from time to time. It was peaceful.

Hyunjin holds her hand out. She smiles when a small white bird lands on her finger. "Hi." Hyunjin greets, seeing the bird shift on her finger. It's head turns left and right, chirping before flying away. Hyunjin takes it as a greet back.

 

"Hello, good morning." Hyunjin whispers, opening the window. She only ever adds a 'good morning' whenever she's had a good night's rest. She spots a deer opposite from her drinking from the river. Hyunjin's amazed. She hasn't seen one before.

The deer stops drinking, snapping its head up to look straight at Hyunjin with pointed ears. Hyunjin timidly waves to the animal, a goofy smile ghosting on her lips. The deer's ears lower, taking Hyunjin as a good person. Hyunjin sees the animal lower its head as if its bowing before it retreats back into the forest.

 

"Hi." Hyunjin sighs, pushing the window open. Hi's were reserved for gloomy days where she would get hit with a wave of sadness for no reason. Hyunjin supposes it's okay whenever days like these would come. Being happy all the time doesn't make her human.

The white bird frequently visits her now. Hyunjin assumes she's befriended the small ball of cotton. Holding her hand out, the bird comes to land on her palm. It bounces about, making Hyunjin crack a small smile when her mind's cloudy of unpleasant thoughts.

 

//

 

Like any other day, Hyunjin opens her window. Only this time, she gets hit with droplets of water. "Ah, a rainy day today?" Hyunjin chuckles softly. "Hello, good morning." She greets as she goes to grab a napkin on her desk.

"Good morning." A muffled voice drawls out, rendering Hyunjin frozen in her spot. She hears raindrops hit an umbrella. Hyunjin clears before looking out to find the body that owned that voice.

Hyunjin spots a dark blue umbrella standing out on the hidden trail by the river. 

"W-who are you?" She musters the courage to ask the stranger. Hyunjin feels a lump in developing when she sees the umbrella shift to show who's under it.

 

And—

 

Hyunjin sees the prettiest girl she's ever seen. She helplessly stares into the girl's chocolate orbs, mentally taking note of the almond shape of her eyes, the small bandage on her eyebrow, the cute button nose she'd like to tap, the pouty lips that parted ever so slightly upon making eye contact and the cheeks that looked fluffy like a pillow.

"Well, wouldn't you like to know." The noirrete playfully winks, tugging on Hyunjin's heartstrings. She walks close to Hyunjin's window, just a few feet away but close enough to be heard under the rain. "I'm Jinsol. Nice to meet you..?"

"Hyunjin." She squeaks. Hyunjin wasn't really expecting for the girl to come closer to her window.

Jinsol smiles, nearly making Hyunjin pass out. "Nice to meet you, Hyunjin." She scrunches up her nose.

Hyunjin swallows harshly. "Nice to meet you too, J-Jinsol." She tests out the new name on her tongue. All she ever knew was Heejin, Chaewon, Yerim and Aeongie, and now she can add Jinsol to her vocabulary that is.. if they meet again.

 

They fall into an awkward silence, giving each other small glances and exchange timid smiles. Jinsol looks around, scuffing her boots on the gravel. She throws the last piece of bread (from Heejin's bakery, Hyunjin assumes) onto the river to feed fishes.

Hyunjin has her head rested on her palm. She flinches when Jinsol looks back at her, she shyly looks away. The noirrete bubbles up giggles, and Hyunjin resists the urge of wanting to hear more when it dies down. 

The once heavy rain had turned into a light drizzle. Hyunjin holds her hand out, collecting a few drops of rain before letting it fall off. Jinsol studies the brunette's side profile, a ghost of a smile playing on her lips.

And eventually, the rain had fully fizzled off. The bright sun had quickly replaced the cloudy skies, its light slipping through as the clouds part. Hyunjin watches Jinsol emit a small huff as she shakes off any remaining water on her umbrella. 

Jinsol turns her body to fully look at Hyunjin. "I had a good time with you, Hyunjin." She admits despite the awkward vibe they had. "But I have to go now." Her bottom lip juts out, pouting heavily.

Hyunjin mimics her, subconsciously pouting too. "Same sentiments. I hope you get home safely, Jinsol." She bids her goodbye's to the noirrete, her frown deepening as she does.

Unlike Hyunjin's small wave good bye, Jinsol waves good bye with her whole arm. Hyunjin laughs, for the first time in a long while. Jinsol lopsidedly smiles, trying to engrave it in her mind.  

 

Hyunjin watches Jinsol waddle off until her figure's just a mere dot.

 

//

 

"Hello, good—" Hyunjin jumps at the thunder clapping, her heart drops into her stomach. She's about to shut the window, but she catches Jinsol's figure struggling against the heavy winds. "Jinsol?" She calls out.

Jinsol turns around, smiling brightly. "Hey, Hyunjin!" She greets as if she's not in a thunderstorm. 

Hyunjin gestures for the noirrete to come inside her home. "Jinsol, you'll get sick!"

 

Jinsol comes out of the bathroom, drying her wet hair with a towel. "Ah, you didn't have to invite me in.." She nervously chuckles, looking around Hyunjin's comfy little room.

Hyunjin scrunches up her nose at seeing Jinsol's toned arms. She wore a sleeveless top with sweatpants. "I wanted to. I don't want you to get sick because of this—" Lightning strikes. "—Storm.." She shakes off her fear.

"Still. I'm sorry." Jinsol flashes an apologetic smile at her. She sits on the ground, her back leaning on the side of her bed. "I like your room."

"Oh— Thank you." Hyunjin watches her cat strut in the room, jumping on Jinsol's lap.

Jinsol squeaks at the sudden weight on her lap. "Hello, friend." She instantly lights up seeing that it's a cat. "Who's this?" Jinsol looks up at Hyunjin.

"That's my cat, Aeongie. And it looks like she likes you already." Hyunjin chuckles, laying down on her bed, hearing Aeongie purr loudly in Jinsol's arms. "She normally doesn't warm up to strangers well."

 

(Heejin hides herself behind Hyunjin, shaking the latter's shoulders. "HYUNJIN, YOUR CAT'S INSANE!")

(Hyunjin furrows her eyebrows at Heejin. "What? Aeongie's nice." She turns to look at her cat innocently looking up at her and Heejin. "Right?")

(Aeongie mewls.)

 

(Unbeknownst to Hyunjin, Aeongie mercilessly scratches Heejin when she has her back turned.)

 

Jinsol goofily smiles at Hyunjin. "Really?" She giggles, babying Aeongie immediately. The cat absolutely loves it by how loud she's purring.

Hyunjin props herself up on her elbows, looking over Jinsol and Aeongie having their cute bonding time. She takes note of how Jinsol shivers every few seconds. "Hey, Jinsol."

"Yeah?" Jinsol looks up, staring back at Hyunjin's warm eyes. "What's up, Hyunjin?"

"Why don't we go to my living room?" 

 

"Thank you." Jinsol whispers whilst giving a thankful smile. She wraps the warm cup with both of her hands. Jinsol sighs in content.

Hyunjin smiles as she sips on her hot chocolate. "You're welcome."

The two were comfortably seated by the fireplace, wrapped around in thick blankets with hot chocolate too. And of course, Aeongie was seated on Jinsol's lap; her new favorite spot lay down.

And much like their first encounter, silence comes. At least it was the comfortable kind. 

The two share a few glances to one another, occasionally smiling quite shyly with pink-dusted cheeks. They both take the blushing as nothing. Maybe it's just from the heat because of the fireplace.. Yeah..

"I wanna know more about you." Hyunjin accidentally blurts out. She instantly covers , whipping her head away from Jinsol's confused gaze. "I-I'm sorry. That was weird."

Jinsol senses Hyunjin's obvious panic and embarrassment. "No, it's okay. I wanna know you more, too." She hesitantly rubs the younger's back with calming circles. And by how Hyunjin instantly relaxes and leans towards her touch, Jinsol thinks it's okay.

 

Jinsol and Hyunjin end up playing a question and answer type of game that take up most of their time. At least they had fun learning more about one another. Hyunjin giggles as she hears Jinsol gasp with wide eyes when she realizes how much time had passed.

They still feel a little sad when they part ways again. Jinsol leans on the doorframe, pouting too close to Hyunjin's face for the latter to function properly. The older very much notices and toys with the younger's gay panicked state.

Hyunjin gently pushes her away when Jinsol dared to inch dangerously close. The latter airily laughs at her reddened features, even pointing at her. Hyunjin eventually laughs along too.

When the shared laughter dies down, they stare at each other again. 

Jinsol's the first to tear her gaze away, much to Hyunjin's dismay. The latter swallows the whine itching to escape . So, Aeongie does it for her. Jinsol beams at her new best cat friend, crouching to give her more pets.

After a good minute of loving Aeongie, she shoos her away. Jinsol jumps onto her feet, smiling at Hyunjin again.

They bid their good bye's.

 

And when Jinsol says "I'll come here more! Just for you."

 

Hyunjin's dull days might just change for the best.