HeeWon | Maybe, Just Maybe

Our Little Rendezvous

 

Love's an odd thing.

 

Chaewon's not sure where she would sort it in the multiple bookshelves she has in her lone tower.

From the hundreds of written literature, research, fictional stories she's read. There was never a defined meaning for the word "Love".

 

They say it's an action.

 

When you gift someone something they've always wanted. Chaewon doesn't like that definition. Why does that have to be love? What if it was required? Would that be love?

Or when you would take care of someone because you want to, and not because you have to. Chaewon tilts her head at that one. What if it was needed? Would that be love?

 

They say it's a feeling.

 

The overwhelming kaleidoscope of butterflies wanting to fly out of your stomach. Chaewon's always thought that was a weird way of describing it though.

The loud pounding of your heart where it feels like it wants to jump out of your chest. Chaewon says that it's too vague of a sign for love.

She's felt it before when she almost fell down the wooden stairs of her home. She's felt it before when she sees the floating lights every night on her birthday.

 

And like a dream come true, she finally gets to see the said lights she always daydreamed of to get a simple glimpse up close.

She got more than a simple glimpse though. She's in the middle of the lights, sitting on a boat floating on top of water.

Chaewon watches hundreds of floating lights fly around, sometimes moving due to the cold breeze of the wind running by.

 

But she isn't alone.

 

Heejin lightly nudges her leg with her own, causing Chaewon to shift her attention onto her. She watches the girl's eyes shine with excitement.

 

Chaewon finally learns what the lights are.

They're called lanterns. Floating lanterns.

Oh, how this feels too good to be true.

 

Swiftly, Heejin holds out a strange object. Chaewon intensely observes the small flame come alive from her small lighter. Her big doe eyes following Heejin's movements.

She holds up the lantern for her to light up. The moment the small fire makes contact with the wick, it grows a bit bigger. Amazing.

Chaewon makes a small noise of surprise at the sight.

Soon enough, the lantern shines bright. Chaewon's too interested in the one she has in her hands to see Heejin light up her own.

 

"Are you ready?" Heejin softly asks, scooting a bit closer to the other girl.

Like a toddler, Chaewon enthusiastically nods at Heejin. "I've been ready."

Stifling a small giggle, Heejin counts down for Chaewon.

 

One,

 

Two,

 

Three.

 

They let go of it, watching the lanterns slowly float up to join the rest.

 

To Chaewon they look like a bigger version of the stars in the night sky. They aren't twinkling like a normal star would, but it still feels magical for her.

Maybe, because she can actually reach out to them.

Stars are too far, too high. These lanterns were too far at first, but here she was. Within arms reach of what she always wished for the first she saw them on one of her birthdays.

Slowly, a lantern floats towards their boat. Chaewon spots it nearing them, so she gives a helping hand. She carefully lifts it up and lets it fly up high.

 

Soon enough, the lanterns are becoming small the more they float. Chaewon's sad to see it go too soon, but she understood good things always have their ends.

She looks over at Heejin, the woman admiring her. Staring at her as if she was the one who put every single star in the sky.

As if she was the one who the lanterns shined bright for. (She wasn't wrong for this one though.)

 

And when Heejin locks eyes with her, Chaewon finally understands what love is.

 

It is the fast-paced, loud pounding of your heart.

 

It is the overwhelming kaleidoscope of butterflies in your tummy wanting to escape.

 

It is the action of taking care of someone because you want to and not because you have to. She recalls too many instances of where Heejin took care of her.

 

It is the action of gifting someone something they've always yearned for. Something they always dreamed of. Here she was, currently experiencing it all.

 

And maybe, just maybe.

 

To Park Chaewon, love is Jeon Heejin.