Chapter 18

Call Me Adina

Chris was still awake when he got Adina's text. Like most nights, he couldn't sleep. His mind immediately went to the worst-case scenario. He sat up and looked over to Changbin, who was fast asleep, before slipping out of bed and out of the room.  

Chris: You ok? Did something happen? 

He plopped down on the couch in the dark and quiet living room. 

Adina: I guess everyone and their mother found out in my small town. 

Chris: Ouch... I didn't think your hometown was big on entertainment news...

Adina: Normally no... but someone caught wind and it spread like wildfire. I couldn't go to the store with mom and she's not too happy about it either. 

Chris: I mean I wouldn't be too happy about my daughter being harassed. 

Adina: No, I mean she is mad that I ruined her quiet life again. 

Chris: But you didn't take that picture. 

Adina: No, but if I wasn't around she wouldn't have to deal with my drama. 

Chris grew angry. None of this was her fault and the fact that her mother wasn't being supportive made this worse. He wished that she was here or he was there. A gut feeling told him she was feeling alone even though she was surrounded by family. He ran his hand down his face in frustration. 

Chris: I don't think that's true. 

Adina: She made it clear that because of me she can't have a quiet life. 

Chris: I'm sorry... I wish there was something more I could do. 

Adina: Texting you is helping. 

Chris: Good. 

Adina: But shouldn't you be asleep?

Chris: I couldn't sleep. 

Adina: Is it cause I'm not there? 😏

Chris: In a way yes. I miss you and now I'm even more worried about you. 

Adina: I'm sorry. 

Chris: It's not your fault love. 

Chris smiled to himself at the text. The pet name made him giddy thinking about it. 

 Adina: I should let you go to sleep. 

Chris: Want me to call you when I go to bed? 

Adina: mhmm🥺

Chris: lol Will do then. Try not to stress about your mom too much. 

Adina: Love you ❤️

Chris: Love you too. ❤️

Chris' eyes felt heavy as he flopped back onto the couch.  He had a busy day ahead with rehearsal in about four hours with several recordings after lunch. His body already ached from the thought of the long extensive activities that they had scheduled for the day. Eventually, sleep took him before he could make it back to his bed. 

Just a few hours later Han was poking at Chris' nose. Chris scrunched his nose as he was being torn from his sleep. "Wake up!" Han harshly whispered, "We have a schedule that starts in like an hour." Chris groaned as he swiped his hand at his bandmate. "Did you even get any sleep?"

"Does three hours count?" Chris groaned. 

"I would say yes if we didn't have a 12-hour work day." Felix sighed as he strolled up and glared down at their leader. JYP's statement on Chris and Adina's relationship was scheduled to go out later this afternoon and Felix knew this was weighing on Chris. He finally got up and headed for the kitchen grabbing the first energy drink he could find. He wondered how Adina was doing. It would be late evening for her in North Carolina. He was taken from his thoughts as he realized that he was still standing at the fridge with the door open. Closing the door, he groaned and went to shower. 

Chris went through his mundane morning routine half in the moment and the other half somewhere else. Without realizing it, he was already in the van heading for the studio. The city was quiet with only early morning workers on the streets and sidewalks. Felix had fallen asleep next to him. He chuckled thinking about how just a little bit ago Felix was fussing at him about not getting enough sleep. His phone vibrated and saw Adina had sent him a few messages. 

Adina: Hey... I took a few photos before leaving Korea to... you know... Anyways, I figured after you stayed up to talk to me you needed a pick me up. 😘 Enjoy! 

Chris almost spat out his second energy drink when he saw the photo. Adina must have taken the photo one night when he was in the shower at her place cause she was sitting on her knees with her legs spread in front of the mirror with nothing but his shirt on. The shirt only just barely covered her leaving her hips and thighs fully exposed. He internally groaned wishing he was alone or alone with her. 

Chris: This is almost evil. 

Adina: I know. 😘 😈

Adina smiled at her work. At this point, she had returned to her room and isolated herself from her mother. She still felt bad for keeping him up so late when he needed the sleep. A sigh escaped her lips as she leaned against her pillow trying to calm her rising anxiety. Dinner was nothing but a painful silence between her and her mother and tomorrow her father would be added to that. She wasn't sure how he would react to the whole situation. Her hope would be that he was supportive. 

She felt her phone buzz to see Ami messaging her. Adina knew her friend would be eager to know how Chris would respond. The pictures were in fact her idea. 

Ami: So... how did he react? 

Adina: Just as we thought he would. 😏 

Ami: Yes, goooood. 🤣

Adina: I feel like if I keep sending them to him he's gonna make me pay for it when I get back. 

Ami: Ooh noooo. Whatever shall you do? 

Adina: IDK

Ami: I guess you'll just have to get railed by him. 

Adina: Ami! 🤣😂

Ami: Sorry not Sorry! 

Adina couldn't stop giggling. Between knowing Chris was squirming wherever he was and Ami's teasing she was feeling a little better. She scrolled through the other photos she had taken choosing which one she would send next. Light footsteps could be heard coming from down the hall. She quickly closed the photos app and listened for her mother's footsteps. When they passed she took a sigh of relief. Adina wished she hadn't decided to stay till after New Years. Christmas was in three days and she was already ready to go back home to Seoul. 

"Ugh can't my fellow Stays give me a reason to go back?" 

As if the universe was listening, she noticed an email notification from her landlord. Nerves filled her stomach as she opened the email to find her saving grace. 

        Happy Holidays! Sorry, it took a few days to respond to this but I skimmed through the security footage and found the moment you were inquiring about and I've attached it to this email. Just as a friendly suggestion, I have another apartment building that is closer to your work you may want me to move you to. Ever since the leak, I have been flooded with rental requests for your building. Let me know as soon as you can. 

She hadn't thought about people figuring out with apartment complex she lived in until now but her landlord was right, the only issue was that the building they suggested was more expensive than her current one. 

"There goes two hundred from my monthly budget," she groaned. Adina opened the attachment to see the moment where she was saying bye to Chris. In the bottom right corner of the video, she could see Preston's face almost clear as day.

"The smoking gun..."