Chapter 2

Call Me Adina

Chris and Adina arrived at her apartment laughing about some story he told from back in his pre-debut days. She looked at her apartment building with gloom realizing it was late and their time together was about to end. He could see it in her eyes as she looked down at her feet. He shoved his hands in his jacket pockets out of nervousness. 

"You don't live too far from the dorms. Perhaps I'll see you again?" He eyed the brown hair beauty who bit her lips before looking at him with a smile. 

"Yeah. I had a great time with you. Thanks for the foodie tips." Adina smiled and wink before slowly walking towards her apartment. Chris bit his lip as he watched her walk away. He only had a month left before their dating ban was lifted. 

'Why Not?' 

"Hey!" He called out. Adina stopped and turned. "I hope this isn't too forward but, do you want to exchange numbers? You know... for when you want to get noodles again?" Chris was mentally kicking himself at his poor attempt.

"I'm sorry that was way too forward." Chris was turning around when he was shocked to hear her small giggle. 

"Yeah. What girl wouldn't want your number?" She handed him her phone with a new contact page open. 

"I'm sure a lot." He nervously laughed as he took her phone and entered his number and handed it back to her. Adina quickly shot him a text. 

Adina: Hi! 

"Heh," he chuckled looking at his phone, "Cute." 

"And now you have mine." Adina took a deep breath and watched her breath create a small cloud. "I better go. I have a class to teach in the morning. Don't be a stranger ok?" Adina smiled before heading inside leaving Chris to head back to his dorm. 

Adina closed her front door and pressed her forehead against it. 

"I got his number. I got Christopher...Bangchan's number... I just wanted noodles and I got an idol's number." She nervously laughed as she pushed away from the door.  Adina looked at her apartment that was still packed in boxes. With a heavy sigh, she got herself ready for bed. 

~

The next day she was distracted as she observed her students working on an English worksheet. Her students warmed her heart as she heard some of them sound out the English vowels as they worked on spelling. 

'I must be in heaven.' She thought. The bell rang for lunch and smiles grew on the children's faces 

"Lunchtime then!" Several cheered as she smiled at their delight. Emily popped her head into the classroom. 

"Hey, did you need anything from the breakroom?" She asked. Adina shook her head. Emily could tell that something was on her mind. "What has your thoughts elsewhere?" 

Adine took a moment to think about how to word her next sentence. "I met someone last night."

"Oh? A guy?" Emily whispered as she sat next to Adina. 

"Yes, but I don't think much will come of it. A nice friendship maybe." 

"A nice... Adina." Emily scowled at her friend. 

"What?" 

"A nice friendship my . A pretty girl like you... nice friendship indeed." Emily huffed. 

"OK well, what I am about to tell you will make you understand why just friends, but you have to keep it a secret."

"Shoot," Emily said leaning back. 

"He's an idol," Adina whispered. 

"Which one?" Emily's eyes were wide with excitement. She grabbed onto Adina's leg and shook it. 

"Bang Chan." 

Emily's mouth was wide open with shock. "Wait... Bang Chan from Stray Kids?" Adina nodded in confirmation. "Where?" 

"At this local noodle shop. Apparently, I live close to their dorm." 

"It's always a noodle or coffee shop," Emily mumbled. 

"What?" Adina giggled. 

"Nothing! Nothing at all. Well, I better get back to my classroom. See you after school!" Emily waved bye as she slipped out of the room. 

~

Adina got to work unpacking more of her boxes after dinner. Slowly her apartment began to feel more like a home as she unpacked stacks of journals and books to put into the built-in bookshelves. She missed the plants she left at her parents' home back in the States. Adina made a mental note that she would have to buy some this weekend. Running her thumb over a leather notebook, she thought about the stories and memories she made back home but was excited for the ones she would make here. 

Her phone began to ring. Wondering who it was, she reached for it. She smiled as she saw Christopher's name on the screen. 

"Good evening Chris." 

"Hey! Have you eaten dinner yet?" 

"I have..." She wondered what he was trying at. 

"Uh, ok dessert then? Favorite fruit?" His nervous chuckle made her bite her lip. 

"Cherries," she giggled. 

"Alrighty then! I'll see you in a bit then!" 

They hung up and Adina looked around and realized she probably looked like crap after going through the boxes. Panicking she tidy up as much as she could. She cursed herself once she saw herself in the mirror. Her hair was in a loose ponytail with her baby hairs all over the place. Adina tried to fix it until a knock came at her door. As she headed toward the door she straightened her top cursing her chosen at-home style. 

Chris's smiling face greeted her when she opened her door. "Hey," she breathed. He was still in his gym clothes making her feel a little better about how she looked. 

"Hey! I brought some dessert!" His big smile made her comfortable. 

"Thank you," she giggled, "Come in. Please excuse the mess. I'm still unpacking everything." 

"Nah, that's fine. Maybe I can help you unpack after we eat." He walked in and followed her into her small apartment. "Ah! You got a nice place!" 

"Thanks. It's not much but I'm working on it. May do a bit of shopping to make it homier this weekend." Adina took the pastry as he handed it to her. 

"These are from a really good bakery just down the street." Christ took a seat at the table with Adina. He watched her take a bite and her eyes grow wide.

"Mmm! This is good. I'll have to stop by this bakery more often." Chris watched her the corner of getting the last bit of cherry off her lips. 

"I don't have anything planned for Sunday. I could take you there!" 

"That sounds like a plan! Maybe for lunch?" Adina couldn't get over how cute he looked when she accepted his invitation. His smile was so genuine, especially with those dimples. 

"Other than teaching and hanging out at noodle shops, what else do you like to do?" The question made her mind race. 

"Read, write, and listen to music. Nothing too amazing." 

"That remains to be proven. What do you write?" His eyes wandered to her bookshelves she was working on before he arrived. He took note of the large collection of books and notebooks she had. 

"Poetry, short stories, fantasies..." His eyes shifted back to her at her words. "Anything to escape reality when it becomes too much."  

Her words weighed heavy on his heart. 'What have your eyes seen?'