Chapter 6

Call Me Adina

"Ok, class I am handing out a worksheet that reviews today's lesson. I want you to complete it before tomorrow beginning of class. So, I am basically giving you a head-start  on homework." There was a mix of cheers and heavy sighs from Adina's students. She let out a small chuckle under her breath. Emily came in to check on her and see if she needed anything. When Adina's phone buzzed. 

Chris: Hey, after school you wanna meet at the noodle shop? 

Adina: Yeah sure! Didn't think you had the evening off. 

Chris: Eh, I moved things around. 

Adina: I am honored. 

Chris: lol see you there! 

"Who was that?" Emily asked in a hushed tone as to not disturb the students. 

"Chris. We are meeting for dinner." 

"Wow! So, things getting serious?" Emily smiled and raised her eyebrows. 

"I don't know. He defiantly flirts with me but I also know he can't date for some time though. I don't know when that's up."

"Ah, the cursed dating ban!" Emily dramatically clutched her chest near her heart. Adina sighed tapping her desk deep in thought. She pulled up the discord server hoping Ami would be awake. 

Adina: Ami do you know when Bang Chan's dating ban is up? 

Ami: mmmm lemme check. 

Ami: It looks like it's up in like two weeks since that's their debut anniversary. Why? 

Ami: OH MY GAWD ARE Y'ALL DATING? SECRETLY?

Adina: NO

Ami: Lies

"He's got two weeks?" Adina finally told Emily.

"Maybe he's getting a head start? I mean who's gonna know if he tells no one. Don't think it's against his contract to have a female friend." 

"Who's contract?" A student asked. 

"We are talking about a show. Work on your homework so you can have the night off," Adina answered with a smile, "Yes, but you know how Dispatch can be," she whispered to Emily.

"True. I guess just be careful." Adina nodded towards Emily's warning. She was fully aware of what could and does happen to idols' parters. Even after they are no longer active in the industry as an idol. She wasn't sure how Chris really felt about her since he was a natural flirt. It wasn't hard for Adina to put a safeguard on her heart. 

The school bells pulled her from her thoughts. After saying goodbye to her students she began to clean up any pencils or eraser shavings that were left behind. When she was satisfied with the cleanliness she shot Chris a message telling him she would be there in about thirty minutes. 

Chris sat in the back of the shop running his thumb over the wrapped box in his lap. He wasn't sure why he was so nervous about the gift. Chris did know he was nervous about how she felt about him. His head jerked up when he heard the door to the shop open and saw her walk in. When her eyes met with him she waved with a big smile. Chris mentally told the butterflies in his stomach to chill out to no avail. 

"Hey, Chris!" 

"Hey! How was school?" He asked as she sat down in the seat across from him. 

"Pretty good. Just a regular Monday. How was the studio?" She mulled over the menu trying to decide what she wanted. 

"Like this weird combination of calm and busy." He closed his menu and carefully slid the box into his backpack. "You picked out what you wanted?" 

"Yeah, I think I'll get the kimchi ramen," Adina answered. 

"Ok, I'll go order for us." As he got Adine tried to stop him. 

"Chris you don't have to do that." 

"I invited you. Sit down. I'll get it." His genuine smile set the butterflies in her stomach into a tizzy. 

Adina: He's buying me dinner... again

Melissa: He definitely has feelings for you. 

Adina: but what if this is just him being polite?

Melissa: When Ami wakes up she's gonna say he likes you. 

Ami: Oh, I'm awake. I kept saying just one more chapter and now I have to work in four hours. 

Adina: Nap?

Ami: No nap. 

Ami: He has feelings for you. He's just holding off telling you until after his ban lifts. 

Adina: You think so?

Ami: YES

Melissa: YES

She quickly put her phone away when she heard him walk up behind her. He sat down with a smile but his expression changed when he noticed her panicked look on her face. 

"You ok?"

"Hm?" She locked eyes with him and immediately smiled, "Yeah. Just was thinking. Hey, I'm right in thinking that the concert is y'all's debut anniversary right?"

"Yeah! Can't believe another year has passed. Doesn't seem like that long ago we were doing our first official performance." 

"Did you think you would get this big?" Adina asked. 

"We only hoped. We still have a long way to go." 

Adina smiled as their food was brought out. The familiar smell of kimchi filled her nose reminding her that she was hungry. Both of them dug in not saying much other than commenting on how good the food was. Chris had spent much of the day at dance rehearsals preparing for the concert and he was starved. 

"So, did you have any other plans for the rest of the night?" Chris asked. 

"I'm a school teacher on a Monday night," Adina laughed, "I've got nothing. Why?" 

"I was going to walk you back to your place and hang out for a bit. 

"Yeah, that sounds good. I don't have homework to grade so." 

The pair headed out shortly after they had finished dinner. Adina could tell something was up with how he kept looking at her as if he was trying to analyze something. She was starting to think that what everyone was saying was true. Adina shivered as they walked up the stairs to her apartment. The warmth of her apartment was a welcoming feeling as they walked inside and shed their outer layers of clothing. 

"So, I have a gift for you," Chris finally said. 

"Dinner and a present? It's not even my birthday." Adina leaned against the kitchen counter with her arms crossed. 

"Yeah yeah but hey I wanted to do something for you." Chris pulled out the box from his backpack and handed it to her. She eyed the box curious as to why it was so heavy. "Open it!" He pushed. 

Adina peeled the wrapping paper off and gasped seeing the light stick box. She opened it with excitement only to almost drop the box when she saw a front-row ticket to the concert on top of the lightstick. Suddenly her mind went wild confirming what was really going on. The concert was the end of his dating ban and he wanted her to be there for that reason. 

"Chris I..." 

"I knew you wanted to come so I made sure you got the best seat." He looked so proud and nervous at the same time. 

"Thank you," she breathed, "But you didn't have to." 

"But I wanted to." His smile was contagious. Adina smiled right back as she got excited about the upcoming concert. Chris couldn't help but smile bigger he watched her pull out the light stick and turn it on before throwing her arms around his neck.  The hug shocked him for just a second before he relaxed and wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her close. 

"Oh, there was one more thing I wanted to make sure you have. I had to clear it with my manager and I did... sorta. I told him I had a friend that wanted to get to see backstage...." He pulled away and pulled out a backstage pass and handed it to her. Her jaw dropped at the site of the pass. 

"Ok, next time I'm buying dinner."