Chapter 16

Call Me Adina

Adina sat in her childhood room shaking, curled up in her bed watching as notifications flooded her phone's home screen. Dinner had been ruined due to that one photographer that threw Adina's life into another deep hole of anxiety. Her mother had quickly contacted the family lawyer to see what they could do to protect her only to find out that nothing could really be done towards the photographer. 

She laid her head against her pillow waiting for Chris to call her once he was out of his emergency meeting with his manager. Adina was terrified that they may be kept from each other for the time being. A sneaking feeling made her feel like it was Preston camping out at her apartment who took the picture and uploaded it.

Chris: You awake? I just got out of the meeting. 

HIs discord message was almost buried in the flood of notifications from friends, Twitter, Facebook, and other social sites. Adina's heart felt like it would burst from her chest. 

Adina: Yes...

The call was jarring to her. She nervously answered praying he would have good news. 

"Hey," his voice was shaky but calm, "So, our manager is writing up a response about an invasion of privacy hoping that will turn the attention to the stalker." 

"So, they aren't keeping us from dating?" 

"No! We aren't under our dating ban anymore. We just have to be more careful since we both have stalkers now. The main concern is your safety. I mean, I've been worried about your safety since Preston showed up." He sighed wishing she was in Korea but thankful she wasn't. Better for her to wait out the initial shock while away. 

"Chris they already have found all of my social media accounts and where I work." 

"I'm sadly not surprised. Death threats?" He hated to ask but he knew she would get them. 

"Yeah, plenty of those but there has been a lot of support too. Someone suggested a hair color change," Adina giggled. 

"I would suggest staying away from bright colors." Chris joined in on the light-hearted conversation. "Oh, also I snuck something into your luggage." 

"What did you hide?" 

"My favorite hoodie." 

A squeal escaped Adina's lips as she hopped from the bed and darted towards her suitcase. At the bottom, she found his hoodie. Adina held it to her face taking in his scent that still lingered on the fabric. "You're the best Chris."

"I wouldn't say that," he chuckled. 

"Well, I am." Adina leaned her back up against her bed and held her knees close to her chest. "I miss you." 

"I miss you too. I know it's late for you there. Get some sleep Adina Bean." 

Adina smiled at hearing her nickname. "Ok, I'll try." 

She didn't sleep. Even after turning the phone off, she could still feel thousands of eyes on her. When the sun finally rose, she sighed trying to figure out how to explain this to her family. 'Hi mom... dad... I'm dating a Kpop idol and now thousands of fans want me dead!' 

Her phone went off with a message from Ami. 

Ami: So, who do I need to stab?

Adina: Preston most likely. 

Ami: He's the one who took the picture? 

Adina: I am sure of it. But there's nothing we can really do. 

Ami: Would be a shame if he ended up dead...

Adina: I know if your heart you couldn't. 

Ami: Try me. 

Adina smiled at her friend's attempt to make her feel better. A soft knock came at her door followed by her mother's voice. 

"Adina? You awake?" 

"Yeah, I am." 

Her mom opened the door at the answer with a small smile, "Couldn't sleep either?" She asked Adina. 

"Not at all. Chris called me late last night and I haven't been able to go to sleep." 

Her mother sat at the edge of the bed in silence for a moment before looking up at her daughter, "I know a part of you wishes you were with him right now for comfort but I think it's best you are here for a little bit while the brunt of this passes over." 

"I know... it's not like he would be able to be with me much anyways." Adina played with the sleeves of Chris's hoodie that she had slipped on during the night. 

"I know the lawyer said there's not much we can do about the photographer but there may be something we can do with Preston but he needs proof that Preston has been stalking you since you've moved to Seoul."

"I'm sure I can once I get back. He knows where I live. Or..." Adina's eyes went wide as if her lightbulb went off. "I bet the apartment has a security camera." 

"If it has..." 

Adina and her mother stared at each other with hope in their eyes before Adina ran to her computer to shoot her landlord an email about accessing the security footage. She still worried about the legalities with all of this happening in another country but she figured she would give it her best shot. 

 

AN: Sorry for the short chapter and REALLY sorry for the hiatus. Work, anxiety, and writer's block hit me really really hard this time around. I hope you guys had a wonderful Halloween!