[Interlude]

Resilia: The Resilient Mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Here are some cuts from the previous chapters. I intentionally made the first few chapters long because I wanted to do something with them in the future chapters. However, for these two chapters, these cuts do not directly create a progress in the story anymore so I decided to take them down since it's making them unnecessarily long already. By the way, these are unedited cuts, so there might be a lot of errors in grammar and spelling for this one. Hope you'll enjoy them! :)

 

CHAPTER FOUR CUT

 

“Why are we going to the hospital, Mama? You said you’re not going to work today?” Nabi whined from the backseat. She’s been whining ever since we left the mall to go to the hospital.

“Because Grandpa and Auntie Hyejin want to see you too,” I said, partly lying to her.

I wasn’t supposed to work at all. Dr. Song and Hyejin were supposed to come to the penthouse tonight for dinner to celebrate Nabi’s birthday. Yong’s friends and Mom can’t come because of work. Mom only called Nabi over breakfast to greet her. However, the plans were changed when I got another call from the hospital this afternoon while we were playing in the arcade in the mall. Apparently, a family that came all the way from Jeju Island was referred to me. I still have no idea what that condition is, but they refused other doctor’s help and waited for me.

I immediately called Hyejin and Dr. Song if we could just meet them in the hospital before we’ll drive together back to the penthouse for dinner. I don’t want to lie to Nabi, but I don’t have the heart to decline the family as well. It makes me feel so guilty if I’m refusing to help them. Thankfully, when I told Yong about this, she understood and instantly agreed with my plan. I just have to deal with my daughter now.

I hurriedly climbed out of the passenger seat and opened Nabi’s door. I unbuckled her seatbelt while she had her arms crossed in front of her and a huge pout on her lips. I turned my back to her and sat on the seat as I said, “Come on, now. Mama will let you ride her back on our way to Grandpa and Auntie Hyejin”

I heard shuffling right away, which made me automatically smile, then two small arms snaking around my neck. I held Nabi below her thighs as she wrapped her legs around me. “Hold tight to Mama, okay?” I asked, securing her on my back before I stood straight.

“I will,” Nabi said, leaning her chin on my shoulder while her breath tickled my ear.

“Okay… Here we go” I said as a warning before I stood up.

Yong, who walked towards our side, closed the door as soon as I stepped away from the car. I held Nabi tightly and bent slightly forward to avoid her from sliding down in case she suddenly removed her arms around my neck. We walked to the hospital entrance and Yong was beside me on our way inside the hospital to hold onto Nabi’s back for added security.

The guard greeted Nabi whom she had befriended after coming with me to the hospital for consecutive days. We stopped so she could high-fived with them before we headed towards the elevator. We greeted some doctors who’ve seen us and stopped by to pinch Nabi’s cheeks. Nabi smiled at the doctors that she’d seen a lot while she hid her face on my back to those who she hasn’t acquainted yet.

After we exited the elevators, we headed to Hyejin’s office right away. Yong lifted Nabi from my back before she placed her on the floor when we reached the door to Hyejin’s office. I opened the door without knocking, which startled Hyejin behind her desk and glared towards our direction.

“Auntie Hyejin!” Nabi shouted as she ran towards her godmother with her arms wide open

Hyejin instantly dropped the glare as she put her phone down on her table and stood up to meet my daughter halfway. The moment Nabi was in front of her, Hyejin lifted her from the floor into her arms and kissed her cheeks. “Baby Jung! I missed you. Your Mommy and Mama were hiding you from me” she jokingly whined at my daughter while Nabi just patted her head to cheer her godmother.

I shook my head at Hyejin, laughing softly at the sight of them, before I walked towards Yong. I kissed her cheeks before I whispered, “I’ll be back as fast as I could”

“You can take your time. We’ll try to distract her” Yong said, offering me a huge smile.

I quickly pecked her smiling lips and whispered, “Thank you and don’t tire yourself. I love you.” I checked on Nabi to make sure that she’s not looking at me. I waved at Hyejin to catch her attention before I pointed towards the general direction of my office to tell her that I’m going now. She nodded her head before she trained her attention to my daughter again.

Yong squeezed my shoulder as she whispered, “No problem. I love you too”

I gave her one quick kiss on her cheek, earning a chuckle from her, before I quietly exited from Hyejin’s office then brisk walked towards my office. I passed by the nurse’s station in the Neurology Department first, and told them to kindly open my office and if they could direct the patient to my office in about five minutes.

A nurse accompanied me to my office and unlocked the door for me since I’m not bringing any keys with me. I didn’t expect to be here on this day so I obviously didn’t bring my keys at all. I the lights in my office the moment I got inside and went straight behind my desk. I grabbed my coat from the hanger stand and wore it before I sat down on the chair and turned my computer on. A couple of minutes later, I heard a knock on my door.

“Come in!” I called out while I was still trying to set up my computer to document my patient’s condition.

The door opened and I saw a couple in about me and Yong’s age and a boy in the father’s arms about Nabi’s age. I smiled at them as I stood up and reached a hand to the mother and introduced myself before I shook the father’s hand. I motioned for them to take the seats in front of my desk before I took my seat.

“I’m really sorry for making you wait. I wasn’t expecting any patients today because I took the day off. It’s my daughter’s birthday today. I hope you’ll understand” I explained to them.

“It’s okay, Dr. Jung. We apologize for the trouble” the mother said regrettably.

I smiled as I said, “No problem at all.” I rolled my chair closer to my desk as I asked, “So who’s the patient?”

Apparently, their son has a benign tumor that has been growing on the boy’s cerebellum. They were told by the doctor in Jeju Island that there is a great percentage that the boy’s voluntary muscle movements would be affected once the tumor is removed. The doctor also told them that if the tumor might not be removed, it would continuously grow on the boy’s head and might eventually still affect his motor functions.

“Can you remove it, Dr. Jung?” the mother asked, her eyes filled with hope.

I sighed before I leaned my elbows on the desk. “I could. If the tumor is growing as what your previous doctor said, then it should be removed before it completely affects his motor functions. There is still the possibility that it might affect his…”

“Mama!” I wasn’t able to continue what I said when I got startled by the sudden opening of the door in my office. A stomping and pouting Nabi made her way towards my desk.

“I’m really sorry” I apologized to the family in front of me as I quickly pushed away from the desk to stand up.

Yong and Hyejin got in next as I lifted Nabi in my arms and kissed her cheeks. “I’m sorry, Whee. She noticed that you’re gone and asked us to see you right away” Yong said apologetically while Hyejin just shrugged her shoulders.

“It’s okay. I should be the one apologizing” I said to Yong as I cupped her cheek and rubbed my thumb on it, comforting and reassuring her that there’s nothing to worry about.

“You said no working on Nabi’s birthday” Nabi whined in my arms, gathering my attention once again.

“You want me to take her?” Yong asked, reaching for Nabi while I just shook my head at her.

I turned to look at my patient while I rubbed a hand on Nabi’s back. “This is Dr. Ahn, a neurosurgeon in the hospital as well. This is my wife and my daughter” I said, introducing them to my patient. “I’m really sorry, but will it be okay for them to stay for the rest of the session?” I asked them, my words a little bit distorted when I Nabi kept on pinching my cheeks.

The parents stood up right away and bowed towards Hyejin and Yong’s direction before they agreed. I released a sigh of relief when they agreed and no words of judgement were thrown to us. Hyejin kissed my cheeks, saying that she’ll just wait in her office. She kissed Nabi’s cheeks next before she headed out of my office, closing the door behind her.

I sighed and told Yong that she could sit on the bench before I walked back to my seat, then I sat Nabi on my lap. I kissed her cheek as I whispered, “I’m sorry, baby. But Mama has to help. You know that, right?”

“But you promised…” she whined, pouting hard at me while her pair of brown eyes were making me regret breaking my promise to her. “You keep helping, Mama” she mumbled, looking so cute with her pouty lips and puffy cheeks.

I bit my lip to stop myself from chuckling before I said, “Do you want Mama to stop helping?”

“Do you want to?” she asked instead while I just raised my eyebrows at her, momentarily speechless. I glanced at Yong who was sitting by the bench behind the parents and gave her a pointed look, silently telling her that Nabi definitely learned this from her. She just smiled, silently laughing as her shoulders trembled, and shrugged her shoulders at me.

I sighed before I said to Nabi, “No, baby. I don’t want to stop”

“Even during Nabi’s birthday?”

I moved the chair closer to my desk and silently apologized to my patient once again. “Nabi…” I whispered before I sighed, preparing myself to explain to her. “See, Jihoon,” I said to her, pointing at the toddler in the father’s arms. “Jihoon is hurt. He hurt his head, baby”

“Just like Mommy?” she whispered, covering her lips so Yong wouldn’t see her while I bent closer to her.

“That’s right. Very good, baby” I whispered to her, covering my lips as well to humor her. “And Jihoon’s mommy and daddy would protect Jihoon just like what Mama and Nabi do to Mommy” I whispered to her again before I leaned back to look at my daughter intently. I pointed at myself before I said, “But they need Mama’s help to do that”

“Mommy said you look at people’s brains. You will look at his brain?” Nabi asked curiously, blinking her eyes innocently at me. I chuckled softly as I nodded my head at her. “You’ll do it now?” she asked, her pout back again.

“No. I have to talk to them. Will you let me talk to them? I’ll be quick, baby. I promise” I said to her while she reluctantly nodded her head. “Thank you” I whispered before I kissed the top of her head.

I looked at my patient and apologized to them once again. I sighed in relief when they smiled and nodded at me in understanding. I cleared my throat and sat Nabi on my lap comfortably before I said, “The chances of affecting his muscle movements are still there. I could not assure you completely that he’ll walk out of this hospital unaffected. However, I’ll try my best so he’ll still have his ability to move his muscles. He might take therapy sessions after the operation too after we successfully removed his tumor whether his motor functions are affected or not”

“We were told that you handled conditions worse than our son but they were able to live as if nothing happened” the father said, his eyes studying my face and pleading for me to make that happen in his son’s case as well.

“I did. Your son’s condition is nothing new to me. But I don’t want to give you the false hope and ignore the great possibility that your son’s voluntary muscle movements might be affected” I said, wetting my lips when it started to feel dry after all the explaining I did. “I am just preparing you of the possibilities after the operation. If you want other neurosurgeons to handle your son’s case, that’s okay for me. But I highly suggest for the need to remove his tumor before it completely takes over his cerebellum and other parts of his brain”

I gave Jihoon and his parents time to decide whether to pursue the operation or not, and whether they still want me to be their son’s neurosurgeon or not. After we said our goodbyes, I leaned back on my chair and hugged Nabi tightly. I closed my eyes and buried my face on her hair and allowed her baby scent to overpower the rest of me right now.

“I love you, baby. Mommy and Mama love you so much” I whispered to her while still hugging her tightly. Knowing Jihoon’s condition, I totally understand the worry etched on his parents’ faces. If I was in their place and Nabi was in Jihoon’s condition, I’ll definitely do everything that I can to protect my daughter and keep her away from harm.

“Is that true?” Nabi suddenly asked, pulling my face away from her.

I frowned at her as I whined, “Of course! Are you doubting Mama right now?”

“Do you love Nabi?” she countered instead of answering my questions. Yong definitely taught her this. Either that or she learned it from watching her Mommy.

I kissed her forehead before I looked at her intently. “I love you, Nabi. Your Mommy and Mama will always love you so much” I said to her sincerely.

She suddenly pinched my cheeks as she giggled on my lap. I raised my eyebrows at her before I glanced at Yong who was just smiling looking at us. I stood up and walked to sit beside Yong while Nabi hugged me around my neck tightly.

Yong wrapped an arm around my waist and sat closer to me before she kissed my cheek. “I’m proud of you, Whee” she whispered right in my ear.

“I’m always proud of you” I whispered back to her and kissed her cheek as well. 

Nabi suddenly pulled away from my neck and pulled her Mommy in a hug too. We both chuckled at her while Yong gently patted her back.

“Why are you hugging us, baby?” Yong asked amusingly, her voice muffled by Nabi's hair. 

Nabi broke the hug and raised her two tiny fingers. “Second wish, Mommy. That Mommy… and Mama love Nabi always” she explained, giggling at us while smiling so big.

I poked her dimple as I playfully and said, “That’s easy, baby. We could do that all the time” 

Yong and I leaned at the same time to kiss either side of her cheeks. Then Yong lifted Nabi from my arms to carry her before she stood up. “Let’s go home, baby. Grandpa and Auntie Hyejin will be eating dinner with us at home” Yong said to her as she headed towards my office door. “Grandpa said he’ll bring you a big chocolate cake. You like that, right?” 

“But I only want Mommy’s cupcakes,” Nabi said while Yong just laughed at her, loving the fact that Nabi likes her cupcakes.

Nabi’s wishes could be a lot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter