Epilogue

Resilia: The Resilient Mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The door was suddenly pushed open, making me jump on my chair and hit my knee on my desk. I groaned from pain, my face scrunching, as I reached for my knee right away, rubbing my hand on it to ease it from pain.

“Mama!”

I sat up straight and smiled at my son who’s running towards me. I rolled my chair back and turned to face him while still rubbing on my knee. He would always manage to startle me and his Mommy. There was even one time that Yong and I forgot to lock our bedroom while doing important business in our room. He pushed the door open and ran to us only to say that he wanted to go out stargazing on his birthday. Luckily, Yong and I were still fully dressed and were under the sheets so he didn’t see that his Mommy’s pajama top was already ed and that I was fondling his Mommy’s s.

Taeyang’s eyes are exactly like Yong’s eyes. He didn’t get his Mommy’s dimples though, but he got his Mommy’s smile and intelligence. Our patience and minds were tested when Taeyang was born because we don’t just have to entertain Nabi’s curious questions only, it was doubled when Taeyang was born. It was harder to answer him because he got his Mommy’s impatience as well.

Nabi came inside my office and lastly Yong who closed the door behind her. I faced Taeyang again who was jumping in front of me while his hands were clasped in front of him. Nabi sat down on one of the chairs in front of my desk and watched Taeyang with a glint in her eyes.

“Mama, can we go to our stargazing spot tomorrow night. Please… Please… Please…” he begged with a small pout on his lips.

“Kiss” I whispered, ignoring his pleas as I leaned forward and puckered my lips. I smiled when he followed obediently.

“Can we go? Please…”

I opened my arms and said, “Hug”

He quickly moved forward and hugged me right away. He wanted to pull away but I wrapped my arms around him tightly and squeezed him while kissing his cheeks several times.

“Mama… Can we?” he asked once again.

I squeezed him one last time, chuckling softly when I heard him whining a little bit, before I released him from my hug. “It's your sister’s graduation today and we already planned something tomorrow to celebrate it,” I said to him.

“I know but I just learned this morning that a comet would be visible tomorrow night and I could only see it tomorrow night. Please…” he whined once again, pouting at me adorably and I had to bite the inside of my cheek when I just wanted to stare and smile at him.

Taeyang may have his Mommy’s looks, but just like Nabi, he got his charms from me. He was around six years old when he started to take interest in the stars, moon, and other heavenly bodies. He was around eight when he played with my telescopes and learned how to disassemble and assemble it by himself. I gave up on reprimanding him not to play with them so casually, but it’s obvious that he really likes them so much. Now that he’s ten, it’s clear that this is not just a simple interest and hobby. He’s passionate about it. Most importantly, he belongs to team meat against team tteokbokki.

I turned to Nabi and asked, “It’s your day tomorrow. What do you think about this?”

She smiled mischievously and said, “I told him that it’s okay in one condition”

“I don’t want to!” Taeyang denied right away while a blush was creeping up to his face.

“Then we won’t see your comet tomorrow,” Nabi said teasingly.

I looked at Yong who was sitting by the bench and raised my eyebrows at her, asking what this is about. She only shrugged her shoulders, her smile going bigger, as she leaned back and shook her head.

“What was your condition?” I asked Nabi curiously.

She chuckled and smiled mischievously again before she said, “Tae! Tell Mama my condition”

Taeyang shook his head forcefully as he pouted at his sister while Nabi just laughed loudly, definitely entertained by this while I’m still clueless about what’s happening.

“Nabi-ah…” I sighed as I looked at her again. “Are you forcing him to do something he doesn’t like?”

Nabi blinked her eyes innocently, but it all broke when a smirk escaped her lips. “I’m not forcing him to do something he doesn’t like. I’m forcing him to do something he definitely likes.” She chuckled again before she whispered, “I just want him to confess to Hwayoung that he has a crush on her”

I scoffed before I chuckled and reached a hand at my daughter. She slapped it hard, completing our high-five, while Taeyang just groaned loudly. I patted his head again and kissed his forehead before I stood up from my chair. I removed my coat as I said, “Tae, that’s between you and your sister. I’m okay for as long as your sister agrees to go since that’s supposed to be her special day.”

I hung my coat on my coat stand and winked at Nabi while she gave me a thumbs-up. I could see Yong shaking her head disapprovingly while a faint smile was on her lips as I reached for my purse on the table. I wrapped an arm around Taeyang’s shoulders and softly pinched his cheek as I asked, “So… What do you think?”

“I don’t have a crush on Hwayoung” he whispered shyly while the redness on his face and his ears contradicted what he said.

“You could ask Auntie Hyejin or Auntie Byulyi for help tonight. I think they told me that Hwayoung mentioned that she has a crush on you too” Nabi said, baiting her brother.

Taeyang whipped his head at Nabi and asked, “She has?”

Nabi turned serious as she nodded at Taeyang while Taeyang looked so hopeful.

Nabi mentioned either majoring in music or biology one time. She still has a lot of time to decide though since she still has to go through high school. I think she should go for acting though. She looked so convincing right now. I mean, it’s not like she’s lying at all. Hyejin and Byul’s daughter likes our Taeyang, but I’m impressed by how Nabi could pull off a serious face without smirking.

Nabi bit her bottom lip while looking expectantly at Taeyang, on the verge of laughing.

I take it back. She’s not that good at pulling off a straight face for a long time.

Yong stood up from the bench and said, “You still have time to think on our way to your sister’s school while we’re in the car, Taeyang. We have to go now so we won’t be late”

“Okay…” our son whispered defeatedly.

I gently nudged him so he would start walking again. Nabi made her way to me to give me a side hug and a kiss on my cheek.

“I’m sorry I have to work on your graduation day” I whispered to her before I kissed her forehead.

“It’s okay, Ma”

I smiled at her before I whispered, “You’re being mean to your baby brother”

“You and Mommy supported” she countered.

“He looks so cute when he gets so flustered. We can’t help it”

Nabi chuckled again as she moved to walk beside her brother. I reached a hand at Yong and she held it right away. We moved closer and kissed before we walked out of my office hand-in-hand.

Nabi and Taeyang were walking ahead of us. Nabi had an arm around Taeyang’s shoulders as she patted his head constantly while Taeyang looked at her with hopeful eyes. She’s definitely feeding her brother’s expectations with regards to his tiny crush on the Moons’ only daughter.

“I used your truck on our way here” Yong whispered beside me.

“Let me guess…” I said as I grinned at her. “You forgot to fill gas in your SUV. Again”

She pinched my cheek and said, “Nope. The kids wanted to use their Mama’s truck”

“You’re lying” I pouted at her.

She quickly kissed my pouting lips before she said, “I wasn’t”

I propped my chin on her shoulder and whispered teasingly, “If I’m going to ask the kids right now, are you sure they’re going to say something different?”

She sighed and rolled her eyes before she muttered, “I hate getting old”

I chuckled and kissed her cheek. “You can’t lie to me, love” I whispered teasingly as I squeezed her hand. “You still looked really beautiful despite growing older, you know?”

I smiled when I saw her roll her eyes at me, but the smirk never went unnoticed as we followed the kids into the elevator.

 

I passed the bouquet of flowers to Taeyang while we’re heading to where her sister is waiting for us. “Careful…” I whispered to him while he tried to handle the flowers delicately. “Give this to your sister and say thank you to her as well since she agreed to see your comet tomorrow”

He slightly pouted, which made Yong chuckle at him as she brushed Taeyang’s hair and kissed the top of his head. We planned to meet near the parking lot, knowing how the huge field will be crowded with other graduates and their relatives attending the ceremony.

When we passed by the Chois, we greeted Mr. and Mrs. Choi and congratulated Ara. Ara thanked and told us that Nabi said she went ahead to meet us. We congratulated her again before we walked further past the crowd to where the parking lot is.

“Taeyang, where are you going?” Yong asked when our son ran ahead of us.

Yong held my hand tighter and guided me out of the crowd. Suddenly, my wife released my hand and walked ahead of me as well. I reached for her but she was way ahead of me already. When the crowd got thinner, that’s when I noticed why my son and wife left me. I rushed towards them and jogged when I was a few distances away.

Nabi was talking to a fellow graduate, a bouquet of flowers on her hand already, but it wasn’t the same flowers that Taeyang had in his arms earlier. In fact, Taeyang just reached them and stood beside Nabi before he glared at the boy in front of them.

“Who are you?” my son asked just as Yong reached all three of them.

“Are you okay?” Yong asked worriedly as she held a hand on Nabi’s shoulder.

“I am…” Nabi whispered shyly while I stood behind Taeyang to observe.

“Who are you?” my son asked again.

He sounded so protective over her sister like the little man that he is. I don't know whether I should feel proud about this or laugh because he’s still a baby compared to the boy in front of him. I chose to chuckle because I found our baby boy adorable and fascinating.

The boy in front of us hurriedly bowed to us. I glanced beside me and saw Nabi nervously gulping hard. I stared at her and noticed that she’s slightly blushing. She turned her head to face me, sensing that I was looking at her, and blushed hard when I raised an eyebrow at her.

I see it’s not just our Taeyang who’s having a crush now.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Jung,” the boy said as she bowed to Yong. He bowed at me next and said, “Good afternoon, Dr. Jung”

“Mommy’s a doctor too…”

Nabi covered her baby brother’s mouth and chuckled nervously at the boy in front of us. Taeyang glared at his sister while Nabi said to the boy, “Don’t mind him”

“Your brother’s telling the truth though” I said teasingly and bit my bottom lip when Nabi just blushed harder.

She glared at me as she whispered, “Ma… You’re not helping”

“I didn’t know I was supposed to help,” I said, blinking my eyes innocently.

“Who are you, kid? And what are your intentions to our daughter?”

Nabi gulped hard, turning just a little bit pale when she heard her Mommy’s serious tone. She pouted at Yong before she whispered, “Mommy… don’t scare him. He’s just a friend”

Yong ignored Nabi and continued to stare at the boy intently. This one’s overprotective as well.

“My name’s Micheal Kim. Everyone calls me Mike…

“Mikey!” We heard someone call from behind us while the boy in front of us, who referred to himself as Mike, groaned loudly.

“Everyone except for my parents” he muttered as he sighed heavily.

I turned around and my eyes automatically widened when I saw a woman with short blonde hair coming towards us. I walked closer to Mike and asked, “Is that your mother?” The boy nodded his head right away. “Why didn’t you tell me your mother is Gabriella?”

His eyes widened as he asked, “You know my mother?” At the same time, Nabi asked, “You two know each other?”

I nodded and shook my head, making the two teens confused. Yong interjected and said, “The paintings back home, they are from your Mama’s favorite artist, who turned out to be this kid’s mother”

“Do you like my daughter?” I asked Mike while snapping my fingers at him to answer me right away. The kid nervously nodded his head. “Good. You’ll earn my trust if you introduce me to your mother. Come on” I said as I stood beside him and nudged his elbow.

“Whee…” Yong whispered, shaking her head disapprovingly.

“Yong…” I whined at my wife while Nabi was shaking her head from embarrassment and Yong could only sigh.

We faced Gabriella while Mike met his mother halfway. I brushed back my hair and patted on my skirt, straightening it, before I fidgeted with my rings from nervousness. When I heard Nabi chuckling at me, I glared at her and she stopped right away. I cleared my throat and faced Mike and his mother.

“Why is she being like this?” I heard Nabi ask beside me but I know her question wasn’t directed at me.

“She’s been meaning to meet her but we didn’t have the opportunity to do so” Yong answered our daughter.

I could hear amusement from her voice, but I ignored them. I gulped when Mike and her mother were walking back to us now.

“Uhm… this is my Mom, Gabriella Kim. Mom, this is Nabi and her family” Mike said while Gabriella reached a hand for us to shake.

“Nabi?” she asked her son. “The Nabi you told me you like so much”

“Mom…” Mike blushed hard while her mother just laughed at him teasingly.

When Gabriella finally reached a hand to me, I shook it right away, probably too eagerly, and smiled at her so wide. “Hi. I’m Wheein. I’m a huge fan of your work, mam” I said nervously.

“You are?” Gabriella asked, surprised by this, while I nodded my head excitedly.

I could hear people snickering beside me but I don’t care at all. I’m so happy right now. I even put down some of the framed photos from stargazing at home just to put up the paintings I have of Gabriella. I didn’t put them down when our home started to be filled with our pictures as a family too.

Gabriella reached from her coat pocket as she said, “You can call me Gabriella. I have some tickets here for my upcoming exhibit.” She handed it to me as she added, “It would be an honor if you and your family will come see it”

My mouth was hanging open when I reached for the tickets. I gulped hard and bowed at her before I mumbled, “I would love to come. It’s an honor. Thank you.” I waved the tickets to Yong and smiled excitedly. If I could scream, I would’ve done that by now. Yong just nodded at me and smiled despite being slightly embarrassed at my enthusiasm.

“You could go with your mother too,” Gabriella said to Nabi. Then she patted her son’s shoulder and said, “By that, I don’t have to drag this young man’s to come to her Mom’s exhibit”

“Mom…” Mike groaned once again while his mother just chuckled at him.

A woman with long blonde hair appeared beside Mike as she said, “Did you really make me wait so you could have a chitchat, Mikey?”

“I’m not. It’s Mom who’s chatting with Nabi’s parents”

“Nabi? The Nabi you told us you like so much” she asked teasingly while Gabriella was nodding her head at her.

“Mommy…” Mike groaned once again.

So this was the reason why he wasn’t so bothered about Nabi’s two mothers. He also has two mothers. I wasn’t able to hear much news about Gabriella when it was hard for me to follow her works anymore after focusing on my own family.

Mike’s other mother turned to us and her eyes widened when she noticed Yong in front of her. Her lips slowly turned up in a smile as she reached a hand to Yong and said, “Kim Yongsun. I didn’t know I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter