Nothing Like The Summertime

The Sparta and The Ace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

♡ nothing like the summertime ♡

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yang Sechan lost his focus on everything else as he saw a familiar Mercedes-Benz entering the parking lot, it wasn’t hard to see the driver of the car swaying to whatever music they’re playing. “Jongkook hyeong, noona looks like she’s in such a good mood lately. Anything interesting to share, hyeong?” Sechan asked without taking his eyes off the now parked car.

“Huh, what do you mean, Sechan-a?” Jongkook asked confusedly. Dindin decided to answer instead. “Your ride is here, hyeong. And Sechan hyeong’s right, noona looks happy these days.”

 

Jongkook finally realized that his girlfriend of 2 years had arrived, taking the nam-dongsaengs’ attention right away. “Ah, she’s here?” And indeed, Jihyo jumped out Jongkook’s car, waving happily to the guys.

“Hi boys! Had fun on the rigorous soccer training?” She teased right away, but she didn’t move closer. “We’re dying here, noona!” One of the younger guys replied from a distance.

 

“I’ll be off, boys.” Jongkook chuckled. “See you all next week, and see you on Monday, Sechan-i.”

“Ne, hyeong. Drive safe.”

 

Jihyo had her mask on, but Jongkook could tell that she was smiling brightly, her eyes shone even brighter than the moon. “Hi, oppa. Let me help you.” She had one sanitizing spray on hand, ready to spray some to Jongkook. “Eung, please.”

It’s their ritual since the pandemic hits, just to be safe, since Jihyo couldn’t get the vaccine due to her allergy. “Done. Get in the car, oppa.” Jihyo herself jumped back into the driver’s seat while Jongkook took the shot-gun.

 

“What were you listening to, Jihyo-ya?” Jongkook turned the music on, and the song ended right away, meaning she turned the engine’s off just before the song ended.

“Oh, I just heard it somewhere and it’s really good, oppa. Do you want to hear the song?”

“Let’s hear it.” Jihyo played the song, and put it on repeat just because. She’s literally obsessed with the song. That’s why she’s not really into music trends, mainly because when she finds a good song that suits her taste, she can listen to that one song for a long time and won’t get bored of it.

 

The intro made Jongkook sway his head to the catchy rhythm. 

 

“18, we were undergrads. Stayed out late, never made it to class, uh,” Jihyo sang the lyrics happily. She’s not a singer, obviously, but she’s good at memorizing the words and imitating the actual singer. “Outer Richmond in a taxi cab, you were sweating bullets on the way to my dad's and oh~” Jongkook laughed softly as she got into the song really quickly.

“You said, ‘Baby, think we're moving too fast’,” She sang it while pointing to the widely smiling Jongkook. “Hands on the wheel, baby.” He reminded her, while still enjoying the little performance.

 

“And I swear the magnolias flashed a smile, and that's when I caught me hoping you'd stay a while~” Jihyo struggled with the note and Jongkook was sure he fell more in love with her at that moment. “Baby, I'd give up anything to travel inside your mind. Baby, I fall in love again come every summertime,” They were waiting for the traffic light so Jihyo sang the chorus right at him, she was on point with the lyrics and the timing. “My daddy taught me to choose 'em wisely, but you don't have to try. 'Cause, baby, I fall in love every summertime”

 

“It’s cold outside, Jihyo-ya.” Jongkook laughed at the irony of the lyrics and the cold weather right outside the car. “What do you mean summertime, babe?” He always called her ‘baby’ or ‘babe’ when it’s just the two of them. She loved the nickname reserved for her and her only.

“25, man we're missing church. Laugh 'bout everyone we're hating at work.” By now, Jongkook’s job was to make a commentary as she sang the lyrics. “None of us were 25 years old when we met.”

 

“Dinner with your sister and the jokes kinda hurt, cry the way home, and you're putting me first, oh~” The ‘oh’ part was so hilarious for Jongkook to see her try singing it. “I don’t have a sister and God, that was really funny, Jihyo-ya.”

“Yeah, we just always know what to say.” What suitable lyrics for the situation, they were both laughing at this point.

 

Jihyo continued with her mini-concert as she drove the car. “We're strolling down the boulevard and dancing under streetlights.”

She held her right hand out for Jongkook to take, and he kissed the hand, even when his lips were covered by the mask he’s wearing. “Every year we get older, and I'm still on your side.” He nodded, because it’s true. 12 years of knowing each other, and over the 12 years time—almost 2 years of dating.

 

She sang the chorus once again and finished the song while Jongkook happily watched her and swayed along with her. “Ottae, oppa? It’s a great song, right?” The intro started again but Jihyo lowered the volume to talk with her boyfriend.

“I agree, it’s a great song. What’s the title, Jihyo-ya?”

“Every Summertime, I just found it this morning and have been listening to it all day long.” Jongkook left in the morning for a shoot, went to the gym after the shoot was done, and then to the usual Wednesday soccer practice.

 

“It’s a great song, Jihyo-ya.” Jongkook repeated, his fingers playing with Jihyo’s right hand. “And listening to the song made me more excited about the summer. I’m so sick of the cold weather.”

“Nado~” Jihyo half-whined, dreaming of summer because she also loved the hot weather just like Jongkook. “Shall we go to the usual tanning salon, oppa? I kind of needed some tan.”

 

“What for?” Jongkook tilted his head. “Did you get an offer for a new role?”

“Not yet, we’re still discussing a lot of things.” Jihyo told him about the meeting she had earlier at her agency’s office. “Even if I decided to take the offer, filming probably starts later this year, oppa.”

“Because of the surge of cases?” He checked and she nodded. “Jalhaesseo, your health should be the main priority, Jihyo-ya.”

 

“Eung, I do miss the set and the atmosphere of filming, oppa.” She sighed.

“I’m sure you do, but filming Running Man is really fun these days, don’t you think?”

“So fun.” Jihyo grinned. Maybe it’s the amount of time the members were apart because some of them got the virus, but filming was a lot of fun for them after they all recovered. “Especially the maknaes, they’re a lot more energetic these days and it’s fun watching them.”

 

“Yeah, I agree.” Jongkook chuckled, remembering the maknae-line’s shenanigans just a couple days ago. “They’re both wild these days.”

“Anyway, what are we having for dinner, Jihyo-ya?” Jongkook asked the girlfriend as his stomach rumbled from hunger. “What do you have in mind, oppa? I can cook for you, my assistant stocked the groceries just the other day.”

 

“Surprise me?” He asked with a smile.

“Okay, deal.” Jihyo laughed. He loved any kind of food she made, no matter how simple it was. “We’re here~” Jihyo announced as the car entered the basement parking lot of the apartment they’re sharing. “Oppa, get off first and take a shower. I’ll park the car.” Jihyo stopped in front of the basement lobby to drop Jongkook off.

“Okay, see you upstairs, Jihyo-ya.”

“Eung.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter