Confessions

When breath becomes air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It doesn’t even take Chaewon to be back for the two to start texting. Their texts fly back and forth the moment Minjoo reaches Korea and even with the time difference, their chats flow fast. They talk about the most random things like what good food Chaewon is having in New York or what schedules Minjoo is going for in anticipation for her drama’s broadcast. They text so much Chaewon was caught smiling by her friend Dr Cooper midway through their brainstorming session in the hospital leading him to knowingly wait till she is done. Chaewon had to guiltily apologise and put her phone deep in her bag to avoid further distractions. 

 

Minjoo doesn’t realise how much she is anticipating for Chaewon to come home. I am probably jealous she is enjoying all the good stuff in New York where I only had a taste of. She should come back soon so I don’t feel like I am missing out. The actress convinces herself of that as they arrange for a time to meet. Though with their real adult lives in Seoul, it isn’t as easy as in New York. Their schedules can only match three days after Chaewon comes home. 

 

Promotional activities are usually more hectic pre-broadcast and during the early episodes. Otherwise, the lull comes during the broadcast period. Minjoo sends the message to Chaewon as she enters the restaurant. There she immediately spots someone who is practically family. 

 

“Jo Yuri.” Minjoo says in a low tone, scaring her fellow member who is seated in the corner of the restaurant. Yuri jumps a little off her seat and smacks Minjoo when she realises it’s her. Minjoo cheekily slides into her seat opposite the woman. 

 

“What took you so long?” Yuri complains. “I am so hungry.”

 

“I told you to order first didn’t I? The interview took longer than expected because there was some issue with the lights.” Minjoo flips open the menu. “Oooo, definitely steak for me.” To not keep Yuri complaining any longer, they put their orders in before they start chatting. 

 

Minjoo briefly checks her phone to see if Chaewon replied but there is none. Hence she puts her phone away when she remembers the paper bag she was carrying. “The vinyl you wanted.” 

 

Yuri squeals when she pulls it out from the bag, admiring the album, clearly very happy to receive it. “I’ll thank Chaeyeon unnie later.”

 

“Why not me too? It was teamwork that brought this all the way from the US to you alright? You said it can’t be found in Korea.”

 

Yuri her eyebrow. “You? Kim Minjoo. Don’t think I don’t know it was Chaeyeon who went searching for this when you, on the other hand, spent the night out.” Yuri smirks when MInjoo turns flustered. “Spill the tea, what happened that night!” Yuri puts the vinyl aside in anticipation for a good story. 

 

“Nothing!” Why didn’t she foresee that Chaeyeon would be telling Yuri things since she was Yuri’s manager too as one of the few who watched over their group, Angel. “And the vinyl was brought home in my carrier because Chaeyeon unnie went crazy shopping at thrift stores. I have a share in this!” She resents Yuri’s teases. 

 

Obviously, Yuri isn’t going to give up that easily - not when they spent their entire twenties together. She smirks and leans closer. “Really? Then why are you not telling me. Is our good girl Angel’s Kim Minjoo finally wilding?”

 

“What’s with all the ‘wilding’?” Minjoo is going to give up, she hates that she forgets how annoying her member is. She also knows Yuri wouldn’t relent until she explains. “I was with a friend. A friend.” She emphasizes. “She is Chaeyeon unnie’s old friend and also the doctor who treated me when I fell and got a concussion. We talked during the flight and got close and she has a place on the outskirts of New York and she invited me over because I said it looks beautiful. Then a storm came and we couldn’t drive back that is why I had to spend the night out. Are you happy now, Ms Jo-”

 

Even as they are seated in the corner of the restaurant, the way they are seated allows Minjoo to see the entrance well and her eyes catch the view of someone familiar - the very person she is talking about. This comes as a surprise to Minjoo since they only arranged to meet tomorrow. She has a fleeting thought, considering going over to greet Chaewon and their coincidence, but her eyes follow as Chaewon moves to the other side of the restaurant to a table with a lady waiting for her. Minjoo watches as the lady and Chaewon awkwardly greet each other with polite bows before they sit. 

 

“Ya! What are you looking at?” Yuri waves her hand in front of her frozen friend; she can’t find anybody that she recognises in the direction Minjoo is looking at. 

 

“Nothing.” Minjoo nonchalantly turns back. Somehow she doesn’t want to talk about seeing Chaewon back in the country. Possibly because she is hit with the realisation that they are just freshly acquainted; she doesn’t know that much about Chaewon to be wondering about who she is meeting before her. 

 

Yuri knows Minjoo enough to sense when not to press on. Minjoo casually takes her phone out to check her lock screen. No replies, she notes and she puts it away when their food arrives. Throughout the meal, Minjoo takes occasional glances to the other side of the restaurant, multitasking alongside eating and conversing with Yuri. Therefore, she surely sees how a waiter approaches Chaewon and her lady friend, asking if they like wine and to Minjoo’s surprise, Chaewon rejects it. Her lady friend though is evidently disappointed at Chaewon’s choice, an unhappy expression stays on as she drinks the wine by herself. The expression dwindles away when they engage in their conversation and Minjoo remembers to turn back to her own.

 

“So when is Yena’s solo comeback news going to be released?”

 

“Next week. Will you come down to her music show?”

 

Minjoo nods as she chews on a piece of meat. “Just let me know when you are going and I’ll not simply going be a support but report for my buffer duties as well.”

 

Yuri rolls her eyes. “After nineteen years in the industry, it is pretty much an open secret by now.” Minjoo gives her a knowing gaze which prompts Yuri to continue. “But yes, I will appreciate your presence so it doesn’t show that Yena and I are practically an old couple by now through our subconscious actions.” They go back to their meal and Yuri suddenly stops again when old thoughts resurface.

 

She smiles. “Remember the old days? We were buffering for each other most of the time. It’s funny to think about it now.” Naturally, this prompts Minjoo to think about someone.

 

“Have you spoken to her recently?” Minjoo waits for Yuri’s response.

 

“Yep, I appeared in her youtube channel remember?” Right, Minjoo remembers watching that. Yuri carries on while observing Minjoo’s expression. “You haven’t? I thought you guys are okay now? I mean you were in a relationship with a whole other person for a whole time.”

 

Minjoo puts down her cutleries. “Still, it will never be easy talking to your ex. Of course, it’s okay now. Yujin is never somebody who holds grudges and if anything, we ended things mutually. She actually texted me you know, when I broke up with him.” 

 

“Because we members of Angel always have each other’s backs despite everything.” Yuri says matter-of-factly then she pauses to think. “It is really a wonder how Yena and I made it through all these years together.” 


“That is because both of you are meant to be. You guys make me jealous. 39 years old, 2 failed relationships later, I am single and alone and teased by my friend for one night I am out.”

 

Yuri doesn’t want Minjoo to wallow in her self-diss. Also there is not anything else she can say that can help with the matter so instead Yuri changes the topic hoping it will help. “Wouldn’t it be funny for the fans to know their ships actually worked out? Yours sorta did so it kind of counts.”

 

In response, Minjoo only gives a defeated laugh knowing that will never happen. Yena and Yuri’s relationship will forever have to be a secret because one just knows how judgemental society is. Minjoo leans back against her chair to take a break from their conversation and instinctively her eyes deviate back to Chaewon’s table. Strangely even though Chaewon and her lady friend started dinner later, they look like they are leaving… or only Chaewon’s companion… 

 

Chaewon stands to bow and her dinner partner makes her move first with an unpleasant expression on her face. Chaewon slumps back into her seat, pulling out her phone and plays with it. Minjoo feels a buzz on hers, while surprised she quickly picks it up. Still, I hope you found time to eat some of the meat you have been craving for. Otherwise, that can be our consideration for tomorrow. She reads and looks back to Chaewon’s table. The surgeon is signing the bill and picking up her receipts.

 

“We can go if you want to. I got the bill while you were staring at the person the whole time.” Minjoo’s attention is caught by Yuri’s words and the woman smiles only knowingly. 

 

She barely makes it outside when Chaewon feels a tap on her shoulder. Her eyes widen. “Minjoo?” She then notices the person beside her. “Oh.” That is all Chaewon can say coming face to face with the main vocal of Angel. 

 

Yuri bows and introduces herself. “Hi, I am Yuri. Minjoo’s friend.” At the mention of Minjoo, Yuri turns knowingly, expecting Minjoo to finally tell her who this mysterious person is.

 

When Minjoo’s feet led her speedily chasing behind Chaewon, she really wasn’t expecting the instant lift she felt in her heart as Chaewon turned around. It wasn’t even that long since they last seen each other but why does Minjoo feel she is seeing someone she hasn’t seen in a long while. Minjoo snaps out of her reverie as she senses the attention on her. “This is Chaewon unnie. The doctor who treated me when I was in the hospital recently. Chaeyeon unnie’s friend?”

 

Somehow the information is more than it is and Yuri processes it. “The person you spent the night with!” She immediately covers when Minjoo’s shell shocked face falls on her. “I told you there was a storm!” Minjoo turns to Chaewon wanting to apologise for her friend’s behaviour whereas it is clear Chaewon is taking it very well.

 

“She’s technically not wrong.” Chaewon plays along cheekily - kind of enjoying Minjoo’s reaction - before extending a hand out to Yuri. “I am a fan.”

 

Minjoo continues staring in surprise though now for a different reason. Sure, Minjoo is not too modest to be acknowledge that at their peak, Angel and the names of the four members were household knowledge to the Korean population. Therefore it is no doubt that Chaewon definitely knows Yuri but for her to specially add that extra bit of information that she is a fan, Minjoo is reminded that she knows not enough of Chaewon. This is also probably what Minjoo is justifying the pang in her lower stomach is - not because of anything or something called jealousy.

 

Yuri returns her handshake. “I am a fan too.” Yuri does not let Chaewon’s confusion sit for real before she finishes. “I am a fan of anybody who saves Minjoo from herself.”

 

At this point, Minjoo wants to bury herself in a hole somewhere. How is Yuri so comfortable with embarrassing her in front of somebody she just met? Either way this needs to end and Minjoo doesn’t not even need to say for Yuri to sense that. 

 

“Alright alright. It is nice meeting you, can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter