Countdown

When breath becomes air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Starting with an A/N because disclaimer: i am not a doctor neither do I study medicine in any way. All medical stuff either came from google or my vague memory of greys anatomy which i am thankful disney+ has so i can finally catch up. also means my writing may be slower ha ha ha i'll faithfully keep to my weekly updates to the best of my abilties! i really have been feeling incredibly touched by all the love i've been receiving for this fic. Your comments mean the world and I am glad y'all enjoy reading this as much as I am enjoying writing it. 

romantic Chae awaits below~ enjoy the chapter!

 

The two weeks countdown to Chaewon’s big surgery begins. The surgeon is spending more time in the hospital, often going to work early and leaving late. Minjoo understands the hyperfocus on this one surgery, after all as Chaewon explained further one night, it wasn’t a surgery many can do. She was the first in Asia and since then, only one more Asian neurosurgeon has succeeded. That is why the patient from Dubai is coming to Seoul and soon, Chaewon will clock her second experience with this surgery. The name of this surgery is as complex as its method, Minjoo can’t seem to remember but all she knows is that the total time needed for the entire process is a whopping sixteen hours.

 

For a surgeon as conscientious as Chaewon, constant practise and familiarisation is without a doubt. She makes the effort to study the case intensely, reading up as much as she can on the procedure as the medical field evolves constantly - there is always something new. As a result, after spending time with Minjoo for the night, the surgeon will always creep outside to the living room to do extra reading. Behind her thick glasses, Chaewon will pour through the seemingly never ending amount of content that the time in the day can’t cover. When her own brain signals its limitation by her droopy eyelids and unfocused gaze, Chaewon will crawl back into bed to the warmth and now familiar presence of her girlfriend.

 

This is what worries Minjoo.

 

Chaewon is balancing everything all too well: her increased workload while not compromising time spent with Minjoo, Eunbi and Nako. But Minjoo can see where Chaewon is taking the time from and it is making her concerned. Yet she is hesitant to voice it. Chaewon has made it clear when they enter into their relationship, how Chaewon would treat her illness is already a decided decision and there is no changing it, there is only the inevitable. Therefore to voice her worries about Chaewon pushing herself too hard, when the surgeon herself may actually be feeling fine over it since she hasn’t shown signs of anything otherwise, may end up appearing like Minjoo is being overly protective or overbearing. It is a fine line between caring for her girlfriend and stepping over what is agreed. That is how she came to the conclusion to keep her worries, and settle with enjoying the time spent with her girlfriend, watching over her, caring for her just like any romantic relationships are. After all, they are two adults who have lived a life full of experiences, grateful to be able to find each other at a time where chances come like miracles. Minjoo focuses on that instead.

 

The first point of Chaewon’s surgery arrives. The patient from Dubai is here one week before surgery day. Tests, checks, observations all have to be done throughout this one week to ensure everything is set and ready for the surgery. While there is a team of staffers of junior doctors and nurses to assist Chaewon with these miscellaneous, Chaewon still prefers speaking to her patient in person and understanding their needs thoroughly. She wants to be there if there are any changes that may affect the surgery plan. In turn, this means that Chaewon has to be in the hospital more often.

 

When she tells Minjoo, speaking behind her thick glasses and her hair tied up in an adorably short ponytail, Minjoo is more than understanding of her surgeon girlfriend’s needs. There was a bit of nuzzling, caressing, pecks and kisses, though both aren’t sure if these were meant to comfort who more, but it was good. Gone were the numbers of their age; ever since their relationship started, everything seems to be going backwards.

 

If only it was for real.

 

The way they are with each other is like teenagers falling in love.

 

Love…

 

Minjoo rubs her chest to soothe the constriction. Everytime she admits it, her body reacts against it. Not because it is not true, oh it is surely getting there. But because, is it right? Can it be this fast? Should it happen? Her body and mind fighting with each other, one trying to feel and the other… trying to protect her from heartbreak. She said it to Yuri and Chaeyeon at the night of drinking,

 

“Because at 39, you know when you meet the person right for you.”

 

Indeed, Chaewon… is so right for her.

 

Despite the growing wants to screw the line between caring for her girlfriend and stepping over what is agreed and also, screw the debate whether or not she can let herself love Chaewon and confess that, Minjoo with her maturity she knows Chaewon is attracted to, reminds herself to stay in what she promised. For the good of them, and especially for the one… she loves.

 

Dr Kim Chaewon

 

The sign reads and Minjoo knocks on the door.

 

“Come in.”

 

Minjoo pushes the door to Chaewon’s office open and the doctor with disheveled hair visibly brightens upon recognising the figure. “What are you doing here?” Chaewon stands and glances at the clock. It is nearly eleven at night. “At this hour.” She walks over to her girlfriend who removes her mask and they immediately wrap their arms around each other. Minjoo’s scent straightaway relaxes Chaewon and the doctor doesn’t even realise how she already has her nose buried in Minjoo’s brown locks. Minjoo feels the relaxing body and smiles, deciding not to remove herself from Chaewon even though she is holding many things in her hands behind Chaewon’s back. Chaewon hears the rustling sounds though so she pulls away out of curiosity. She tries to crook her head around and Minjoo brings it in front of her since they are now slightly apart.

 

“I wanted to see you before your big day tomorrow. Brought some snacks since you said you already ordered dinner.”

 

Chaewon wears a guilty expression and Minjoo is confused at the reaction. The doctor moves her eyes to the coffee table on her left and it makes sense now. A box of Monster chicken sits with its contents barely touched. Minjoo frowns and she turns back to Chaewon.

 

“Didn’t you say you ordered like three hours ago? How come you haven’t eaten it yet? Especially fried chicken, it’s probably soggy now.”

 

“I actually took a few bites?”

 

“A few.” Minjoo is not satisfied. Though it is quite surprising what Chaewon chose to order, Minjoo is more concerned with the fact that whatever it is, the food is not eaten. “I thought by cutting down travelling time to camp in the hospital more often, you would have more time. Little did I know…”

 

Chaewon feels guilty seeing the crinkles on Minjoo’s forehead but she can’t deny it does also feel good having this reaction out of her girlfriend - just because she has someone like her.

 

“I am sorry.”

 

Chaewon apologises because there isn’t anything else to say but that. She does not want to give excuses because at the end of the day, her girlfriend is worried and she is the one who made it happen. Period. “I will eat now and I assure you, it is just today I didn’t get a proper meal.” Chaewon has been in the hospital for three nights straight because tomorrow is D-day. This also meant not seeing Minjoo for the same duration, that is why instead of her now-realised hunger, she is more focused on one thing. Chaewon leans closer towards Minjoo but before anything can happen, Minjoo pushes the bag of food against Chaewon’s shoulder.

 

“No kisses. Take this. Go there and eat.”

 

Now it is Chaewon’s turn to frown. She has never been rejected by Minjoo before and it (for lack of a better word). “But I haven’t seen you in days.”

 

“And the feeling is mutual but I thought my surprise visit would allow me to see my surgeon girlfriend, looking all y buried in paperwork, and y in the healthy, full, slept decently because she does not have to commute much. But no. Instead she thinks she is like a college kid, running on bare minimum.” Minjoo nudges the bag again.

 

Chaewon resigns, this is the real part of the relationship - the realities of their actions based off actual feelings for the other. So she takes the bag and moves to the coffee table and picks up the Monster Chicken bags. “Let me heat this up first.” She is about to pass Minjoo when the woman suddenly grabs her by the arm. Minjoo puts both hands around Chaewon’s neck and pulls her in. They kiss and kiss and the bag of Monster Chicken is about to be squashed between them. Not that they mind.

 

Chaewon is breathless when they finally pull away. “I’ll be back.” Minjoo nods equally in a daze as she lets her go.

 

When Minjoo is alone in Chaewon’s office, she takes the time to tidy up the room. Chaewon threw her doctor’s coat on the sofa so Minjoo straightens it of its creases to the best of her abilities before hanging it on the stand. Next she takes the carelessly laying blanket and folds it, of course catching the familiar powder scent on it that naturally brings the smile on her face. She doesn’t touch her girlfriend’s work though, knowing full well of the organised mess Chaewon claims them to be so Minjoo settles on the couch. Chaewon comes back just in time.

 

“Hot.” Chaewon says as she pulls out the box of chicken and the receipt drops with it. Minjoo casually picks it up and notices the big order. Definitely not for one. She likely bought it for the other staff too. Minjoo dismisses the sweet thought as she helps Chaewon set everything up. Minjoo takes tissues and puts them close to Chaewon.

 

“Everything’s good for the surgery?” Minjoo asks as Chaewon bites into her chicken.

 

Chaewon nods while she is chewing. “The patient’s ready and so am I.”

 

“That’s good.” Minjoo smiles. She is relieved that everything is going well for her girlfriend with only the hardest part left. She will support her through it, even if it means coming to her office near midnight after a long day of her own schedule just to make sure Chaewon is alright. And she is glad she did as Minjoo watches Chaewon grab the tissue she placed earlier to wipe the oil that dripped down her chin.

 

“I just decided on your post-surgery dinner tomorrow. I’ll buy the famous Ginseng chicken soup to your place to make up for all the nutrients you missed.” Minjoo toggles with her phone to plan her schedule.

 

Chaewon puts the bone aside and she casts her eyes to her unsuspecting girlfriend. Chaewon sees ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter