Sweet Treats

When breath becomes air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Seems like everybody liked the last chapter (smirks) but I think most of you got the real gist of how I purposely planned the chapter out. The pillowtalk is to place some realness into their relationship and the difference in how (I think, because I am not THAT old myself) a first date is for people in their middle age compared to if they were young adults.

Love the inside joke for last chapter's title? Today's chapter title is not only for 2kim here but for the readers too. Too damn sweet, I got toothache writing this. Where did the angst writer in me go?

 

 

Minjoo flutters her eyes open while she slowly lets her vision calibrate itself. In a daze, she registers the space around her. The room is darkened by the curtains that block out the view from the room. With the light rims around the edges, Minjoo is sure the curtains are doing more than blocking the view - she hasn’t had such a good sleep in a long while and she is grateful that that is not disturbed by the sun on her face. Minjoo looks down and she sees the mess of brunette hair splayed over her shoulder and that naturally brings a smile. Oh yes she definitely remembers everything - from their romantic dinner to their shy handhold that only pales in comparison to their increased intimacy after, but it was the heart to heart conversation they had last that made the entire night… perfect. She must have drawn the curtains last night.

 

Minjoo adjusts her body timidly not wanting to wake the doctor up. She would try not to do it but because of how sore her body feels, she needed to - ironically the culprit is completely oblivious right now, lying still in her arms with the most innocent expression Minjoo has seen on the surgeon. Since she slept so well, Minjoo is very curious about what time it is. It is Monday after all, she is wondering if she should wake the doctor. The actress turns to the bedside table for the clock and she feels another sore spot. This time, on her neck. Minjoo brings her hand up to feel around the area and she pauses knowing exactly what it is. Minjoo gulps before refocusing back on her task. 10:23am. I should wake her up. I don’t remember her not being in the hospital at this time.

 

Minjoo lightly taps on Chaewon’s cheek and the doctor stirs but goes back to being still. “Unnie…” Minjoo calls for her in her husky tone while continuously brushing her cheek. “It’s time to wake up.”

 

Chaewon groans in an endearing manner, one that is not at all scary, and pouts while shifting away. Chaewon flips to the other side but Minjoo comes close to give her a back hug, with her hands coming to the front to rest on Chaewon’s abdominal muscles. “Do you need to go to the hospital?”

 

“What time is it?” Chaewon finally mumbles though her words are not very coherent if Minjoo wasn’t intentionally listening out for it.

 

“Probably 10:30 by now.”

 

There is no movement for a while until Chaewon scares her by suddenly sitting up. “It’s Monday right? God damn it I have a surgery this afternoon.”

 

“Go go.” Minjoo pats Chaewon on the back being very amused by how much of a kid Chaewon is in the morning. The touch enlightens Chaewon to her companion and she turns around.

 

“God damn it.” Chaewon repeats the same expression but the delivery is completely different this time. It comes as a whisper under her breath when her eyes scan across the beauty lying in her bed. Minjoo’s long hair is fanned across her pillow and her shoulders are peeking out from the white comforter and the rest of it hidden underneath? Oh Chaewon knows exactly what it looks like.

 

And Minjoo is able to sense what Chaewon is thinking; the doctor’s eyes are exactly what she looked into quite considerably last night. She really wants to indulge in it again yet she knows Chaewon has a life to save this afternoon. “As much as I want you to keep looking at me like this, you should really get going.” Minjoo wills herself to say.

 

“I will. After this.” In one move, Chaewon bends down and kisses Minjoo. The actress sighs happily to this, her hands finding her rightful spots on the back of Chaewon’s neck and in her hair. They don’t stop for a while, leaving small pecks here and there before Minjoo pushes Chaewon away. “Shower together?” Chaewon asks with that playful glint and charming smile and Minjoo finds no will to say no. She gives her a shy nod and Chaewon pulls her up.

 

Chaewon’s smell engulfs her when Minjoo pulls Chaewon’s hoodie over herself. She had asked the doctor to lend her clothes because she doesn’t really want to wear her formal dress now. Minjoo looks at herself in the full length mirror and she cannot really suppress the smile at the very obvious love bite on her neck. Her fingers dance around the spot again and Chaewon notices that from where she is picking out her clothes.

 

Chaewon clears hoping she can speak without stumbling. “Do you need s-some powder for that?” Not exactly perfect but one stumble is not too bad.

 

Chaewon probably looks quite cute right now asking that but Minjoo is guessing because she cannot bring herself to look over. She busies herself with the strings around the collar, pulling on them so the hood tightens and covers the spot. “I’ll be heading home straight so I think this will hold.”

 

“I’ll drop you off.” Chaewon coolly says and goes back to picking out her clothes. Focus Chaewon focus. After she is done picking her clothes, Chaewon moves to the dressing table to put on her makeup and also removes her contact lenses for glasses. She had left them on for too long last night. The whole time she has been getting ready, Chaewon can sense Minjoo watching her. Chaewon puts her lip tint down and faces Minjoo.

 

“So this is how you get ready.”

 

“I can’t focus with you around.”

 

Minjo smiles gleefully and purposely takes her own sweet time to head back out to the bedroom. Now, hopefully Chaewon can finish up fast enough so she can get a bit of lead time before surgery.

 

Chaewon is nearly done with everything, she just needs to button her top when she suddenly hears Minjoo exclaiming. Chaewon runs out immediately and she finds Minjoo on the floor - with her signed poster in her hands.


No words can describe how panicked Chaewon is when Minjoo turns to her… with an oh so smug expression.

 

“So you were my fan?”

 

Chaewon gulps, she has no witty comeback. There is no way out of your date - whom you just spent the night with - knowing that you were actually a fan, liking her enough to be going to her fansign to get a goddamn signature, evolving from crushing on behind the screens to meeting in person.

 

Yep no way out of that hole.

 

Chaewon decides it is best to just escape the room so she retraces her steps but Minjoo immediately jumps up and blocks her from leaving. The actress cannot stop giggling though as she places both hands, even the one holding the poster, on Chaewon’s bare abdomen. “Awww it’s so cute how shy you are right now. Why didn’t you tell me though? Though I can’t deny finding out this way is a thousand times cuter too.” Minjoo looks at the signed poster again even as she doesn’t remember much about it.

 

“I couldn’t find a good time to tell you without worrying that you may find it weird.”

 

Minjoo wants to melt into a puddle because Chaewon is simply too cuddle-worthy right now. “It is not weird at all. I like to think I know you enough to know you didn’t approach me with malicious intent. I mean, you listened to our songs during medical school and you know a little about us. I actually am glad I found this at least now I wouldn’t get jealous thinking that you like Yuri.”

 

“You are 100% my bias.” Chaewon declares seriously. “There were many days spent after medical lectures visiting the ice cream place because of how stressed I was. It helped that you guys were endorsing it so all the more reason for me to go because I could see the huge poster on the front door. With every visit, we can put in a chance to get a fansign with a chosen member and honestly, I was putting it in for fun not at all expecting to get it since you are a fan-favourite after all. Trust me, I was very shocked when I got chosen and my sister said it would be a total waste if I didn’t go especially when I spent so much on ice cream already…”

 

“What did we talk about?” Minjoo is already 39, so no questions there about her failing memory after nearly 20 years of being an idol.

 

“You asked me what my favourite ice cream was and you cringed like how you do now when you heard.” Chaewon remembers that moment very well precisely because she doesn’t have any other idol experiences.

 

Minjoo laughs hard at how funny their interactions were even a decade ago and gazes adoringly at their old memory. “I would love to spend the whole day teasing you and relishing in the fact that I am your favourite but you have a life to save. We should go.”

 

“Right.” Chaewon buttons up her shirt and goes back into her wardrobe. Minjoo puts the signed poster back where she found it at the bottom of the huge bookshelf, knowing how she would have missed it if she wasn’t entranced by Chaewon’s book collection. Adorable nerd.

 

Minjoo goes around the bedroom to pick up their clothes trying not to remember how they ended up everywhere. She folds them neatly, placing Chaewon’s on the bed and brings her dress with her to the living room. The wine bottle and glasses are the not so innocent traces of last night and she moves to clean them up before spotting her magazine. Minjoo has a bright idea.

 

She looks around and she finds a pen lying on the coffee table. Minjoo settles on the sofa and puts the magazine on her lap and starts writing on it. Her last touch is a huge signature at the bottom and she happily places the magazine and pen back where she found it. Minjoo takes the bottle and glasses to the kitchen when Chaewon appears with her black haversack.

 

“Leave them in the sink. I’ll do the dishes when I am back.” Not wanting Chaewon to be any later than she should be, Minjoo obliges. “Here.” Chaewon hands her a tote bag, “for your dress.” Always with the simple and considerate gestures. Minjoo gives her a quick smile and packs her things up, not forgetting to take the white camellia Chaewon had given her last night. When she is done, Minjoo heads to where Chaewon is to see the doctor popping in a whole concoction of pills. 5 in the morning alone. An inevitable tinge of reality slips into her happy bubble and Minjoo loses a bit of the nearly fixed smile she has since last night. Of course, she is not delusional enough to forget the most important fact of the doctor but being reminded of it is not very fun the morning after. She quickly turns away when Chaewon is done.

 

Chaewon opens the door for Minjoo and the actress leaves wearing mismatched heels and hoodie. It is going to be a quick ride to her place anyways, nobody will see her-

 

“Monster chicken!”

 

She thought that too soon.

 

The door next to Chaewon’s apartment reveals Nako and her surprised mother. Nako continues to point excitedly at Minjoo until Chaewon awkwardly slides into her view. “Aunty Chae!” Nako runs and wraps herself around Chaewon’s leg. With the extra weight, Chaewon stretches to close the door to her own apartment, takes a deep breath and turns to face the awkwardness between Minjoo and Eunbi.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hello.” Eunbi and Minjoo greet each other politely.

 

“I guess I don’t really have to introduce you guys since you have met before.” Chaewon tries to minimise as many interactions as possible but the moment she finishes her line, Chaewon feels Eunbi giving the ‘I-will-kill-you-if-you-don’t-do-this-properly’ death stare. “But… I will introduce you guys again.” She hurriedly adds. “Unnie, this is Minjoo. And Minjoo, this is my older sister, Eunbi.”

 

“I am Nako!” The girl hugging her leg like a tree adds and Chaewon turns to her. “Call her Aunty Minjoo not Monster Chicken.”

 

“But she’s monster chicken~” Nako sings in the commercial’s tone. Chaewon badly wants to laugh but she is also aware she has to correct before it sticks in the kid’s mind.

 

“Still that’s not how you address someone. Greet her properly, Nako.” Chaewon prompts Nako to release her hold on her. “Hello Aunty Minjoo.” Nako bows politely and Minjoo crinkles her nose in adoration.

 

“Hello Nako.” A parenting Chaewon just makes the doctor even more attractive and Minjoo is struggling to control her affection but she has to behave in front of her older sister.

 

While she senses there is more than meets the eye to Minjoo’s presence at her sister’s home this morning - all while knowing about their date last night - Eunbi does not want to embarrass the two, especially not in the presence of her daughter. She chooses to start the conversation with a more kid-friendly line. “You rarely ever leave at the same time as us.” Eunbi presses the lift button. “No surgery today?”

 

“Just one in the afternoon.”

 

“Ah…” Eunbi puts more pieces together since her hardworking sister always goes to the hospital early regardless of the time of the surgery and for her not to today…

 

“Aunty Chae.” Nako calls out as they all enter the lift. The girl is scanning her aunt from head to toe. “You are so pretty.”

 

“Prettier than mummy?”

 

Nako stands between her mom and her aunt and from her short height, the adults can tell she is seriously considering the question as her head bops up and down. Then she walks over to hug Chaewon’s leg again. “Mummy’s prettier.” She declares seriously and Eunbi pounces over to them happily. Eunbi rubs her face against Nako and her daughter squeals over Eunbi’s overly affectionate actions and her childlike laughter resonates in the metal box.

 

Minjoo watches as the family spend this simple yet loving moment together, smiling along to their laughters. They are so tight knit. The lift arrives on the basement level and Eunbi taps Nako to come over. “Aunty needs to go to work now. Come on.” Nako follows her mother and waves to Chaewon and Minjoo.

 

“Go save people, Aunty Chae! Bye bye Aunty Minjoo!”

 

“Bye~” Chaewon and Minjoo say together while waving to the happy girl. Minjoo gives a slight bow to Eunbi who acknowledges and the couple heads to Chaewon’s car. Just like last night, Chaewon moves over to open the door for Minjoo.

 

“While I appreciate it, you don’t have to keep doing it.” Minjoo chuckles while not hiding that she likes it.

 

“One last time. To finish off our date.”

 

“It’s a long date.” Minjoo wittily adds

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter