White camellia

When breath becomes air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No way.”

 

Chaewon nods and sips on her latte. She glances over at the swimming pool where Nako is having her weekly swimming class. Chaewon turns back and her sister is staring hard at her. Eunbi probably hasn’t taken her eyes off due to the shock she received from the news. “You mean I finally succeeded in matchmaking for my sister and I didn’t even consciously do it?”

 

Chaewon is amused at her sister’s interpretation though it isn’t exactly wrong. She was just telling Eunbi what happened when Minjoo came over last night and Eunbi put the pieces together since she (more like Nako) was the one who unintentionally started it by alerting Minjoo to Chaewon being unwell. One thing led to another and her sister and Kim Minjoo are taking a chance together!?

 

“I can’t believe you never told me about both of you in New York! So much for ‘she’s a celebrity? Biases are meant to be unreachable? Ten thousand exes and people asking them out’?”

 

Chaewon senses what her sister is driving at and she has to defend herself. “Unnie, I tell you almost everything that happens in my life. Before last night, I really only thought of her as a friend so that’s nothing much to tell about me hanging out with a friend. Sure, I think she is really attractive and likewise beautiful on the inside but honestly, I wasn’t going to let myself do anything other than these thoughts.”

 

“Okay, I get it. But still, Kim Minjoo? That’s not any friend. Understand my shock to realise you guys have been getting close and suddenly, going on a date? The proud sister in me is happy she convinced you. I can’t believe the Kim Minjoo convinced you to go on a date.”

 

“Did I do the right thing?” Chaewon suddenly has second thoughts now that she is not in the presence of someone who changed her mind. “I mean… me and my-”

 

“It’s just one date. You never know it may not work out, you guys will go back to being friends.” Chaewon’s expression visibly drops at Eunbi’s realistic reminder but little does she know her sister did it on purpose; it is so obvious Chaewon wants the date with Minjoo so much even as she questions. Eunbi wants to laugh but holds it back with her serious expression so her words reach Chaewon better.

 

“But also remember, it is not simply you. She is an adult too, capable of making her own decisions. Just go and enjoy the date that both of you want and then see how it goes.” Her smart sister is at times too dumb with situations like this and that’s why the older sister role is needed to whip Chaewon into realising what she should know.

 

Letting Chaewon quietly digest her thoughts, Eunbi leans back to check on her daughter. Nako is a natural in the pool and she waves back excitedly when she spots her mother looking. Eunbi returns the wave before her daughter goes back to focusing on her teacher.

 

“So where are you planning to bring her?”

 

Chaewon toggles with her phone and turns it over to her sister. Eunbi recognises it to be a high end restaurant run by a sought after Michelin starred chef. She raises her brows, impressed at her sister’s choice. “Kim Chaewon, you have it in you to look for restaurants to eat at so why is it always me deciding where to go? Just because I am not your longtime bias, Kim Minjoo?”


Chaewon pulls her stretched arm back and looks away to hide her blushes started by her sister’s teases. “I asked Wonyoung for recommendations since the girl is familiar with stuff like that and when I asked…” Chaewon suddenly feels very shy saying Minjoo’s name but Eunbi’s smirk shows that she knows. “She said okay so I made the reservation for tomorrow night.”

 

“That easily?” Since she knows about the restaurant, Eunbi is likewise aware of its tough reservation system but then she considers who Chaewon asked. “Oh but it makes sense coming from the sociable it-girl Jang Wonyoung. You told her it’s for a date?”

“Wonyoung didn’t ask when she helped. That’s the thing I like about her, the girl is very sensible to know when to ask. This is also what makes her a good doctor too.” Chaewon finishes her cup of latte and just in time, Nako’s class ends.

 

“Tomorrow night!” Eunbi squeals as they get up from their seats, ready to leave. “I have never been this excited for your date before.”

 

Chaewon smiles at her sister’s genuine happiness. Neither have I.

 

--

 

Chaewon tries to walk out of the neurology floor as naturally as possible but she notices the attention of the most senior nurse. They make eye contact and the nurse walks over to her with an obvious chaewon-is-not-going-off-easily face.

 

“2pm and you are out of your doctor’s coat. Is the sky going to fall?” The nurse’s smile is so wide the wrinkles around her eyes form.

 

“Gowon unnie please.” Chaewon has been comfortable with the nurses here in neurology and especially her. She has been working here for the longest time, watching over Chaewon when she was first an intern to the well-known surgeon she is today. “Call me if anything alright?”

 

“Yes don’t worry. It’s Sunday you shouldn’t even be here anyways. Go, enjoy your time off.” The older nurse pats her on her back and sends Chaewon off to the elevator. When the doors closes, Chaewon lets out a long breath before an unknowing smile creeps up. I am going for a date.

 

With a purposely freed up afternoon, Chaewon heads back home to shower and get ready. She stands in her wardrobe, taking much longer than usual to decide what to wear. In the end she settles for a light pink dress pant and a sleeveless white top. Her perfume choice though, that isn’t as difficult.

 

Chaewon gets into her car and keys in the address of the place she found last night. She thought about whether she should get anything for the woman for their date but couldn’t think of much. She then realised it was actually the first time she thought of getting something for her date, oops to the priors. Her sister suggested a bouquet but somehow that doesn’t feel… right. Minjoo probably received a lot as a celebrity and she doesn’t feel like the kind of woman who wants big bouquets. The Minjoo Chaewon knows is one that stands in awe of nature when she was admiring the surroundings of Chaewon’s New York home; the Minjoo Chaewon knows is also one that gets floored by amazing pizzas, that having them two days in a row is no matter to her.

 

Minjoo is the kind of woman that big fancy stuffs are nothing compared to the appreciation in the simplicity in things.

 

“Just one will do.” Chaewon points to the white camellia. She receives the stalk from the florist and hands the cash over. Chaewon stares at the simple yet beautiful flower. Perfect.

 

She walks out of the florist and notices the newspaper stand by the side. When she walks closer to confirm, Chaewon unhesitantly reaches out for more cash. “This, please.”

 

 

Chaewon nods to the guard who lets her through into Minjoo’s apartment block. She is slightly early which probably is good; she needs the time to calm her racing heartbeat that only grew progressively as she drove over. To her surprise, she probably doesn’t have that chance.

 

Minjoo is already waiting at the sofa in the lift lobby. She stands immediately when she recognises Chaewon’s car and from inside, Chaewon is already wowed by Minjoo’s get-up. The woman is wearing a white one piece that flows all the way to her ankles. Minjoo’s figure is accentuated by the dress as it curves in the right spaces and Chaewon hits the brake a little bit too harshly. It is good she is in the car alone.

 

“Didn’t I say I would text when I reach?” Chaewon gets out of her driver’s seat and walks over.

 

It is evident how bashful Minjoo is by that question as it inevitably exposes her anticipation for the date. In her defense, Chaewon’s early arrival also proves the same. “Well, in the end I didn’t wait long either.” The two get a little shy when they come closer to each other, both taking in the other’s good looks and nicely cleaned-up selves, thus properly registering in the fact that this is unlike the past meetups.

 

This is their first date.

 

Chaewon pulls the door open to the passenger seat allowing Minjoo to gracefully settle in. The actress holds her hair back, not wanting to ruin what she spent a lot of time on, so she can see as she gets in. Minjoo is early today for well-planned reasons; the woman has spent the entire morning-afternoon getting ready for the evening. The morning was for her exercise and she had salad for lunch before spending the remaining time getting dolled up. She was so conflicted on what she should wear and after, it didn’t help when she scrutinised her own hair and makeup. Minjoo was very close to calling her regular makeup artist over but thankfully, her nearly 20 years of being in the entertainment industry didn’t fail her afterall.

 

Chaewon enters the car and closes the door and Minjoo gets a whiff of a familiar scent. Her eyes light up. “You are wearing the perfume I got you!” She says in a tone an octave higher than her usual.

 

Chaewon smiles because Minjoo notices. “I like it.”

 

Minjoo is glad because she spent quite a bit of time in the department store smelling each and every one. Since the first time they met, Minjoo is aware of the baby powder scent that comes with Chaewon and figures the surgeon may be a fan of it. That is why she knows enough to choose something similar, one that isn’t too strong but more on the soothing end. It’s great that her choice turns out to be right.

 

“Though I haven’t used your other gift yet.” Chaewon suddenly adds and Minjoo remembers the other thing she brought over the night too. Chaewon’s cheeky smile mak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter