Served by two

When breath becomes air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: So the little poll I ran on Twitter, our doctor won with a fair bit of margin. Well Jeju's over, 'I love you' didn't happen then so when will it? Stay tuned haha. For this chapter, it's shorter than the last few but let's just say... i can't find another better place to stop the chapter.

 

 

Routine gathers itself for them. As predicted, the surgeon is happy to be in the groove again - meeting patients of many rescheduled appointments, dealing with the usual emergencies, brainstorming on planned ones, mentoring Wonyoung with her fast-learning skills - Chaewon truly belongs in the hospital. Belonging though is not an exclusive. There is one joy successfully operating on a victim of a car accident, whose spine was so badly hit he could have been paralysed if not for Chaewon and her team’s miraculous work; there is another joy derived from telling Minjoo all about it after that long day. To watch how Minjoo never loses interest despite Chaewon’s many slips into complex medical terminologies, to hear genuine curiosity at the steps taken during the highly charged hours, Chaewon is sure this is what completion is.

 

When the conversation flips over to the other side, Chaewon is equally interested in the things Minjoo has been up to. Her drama’s final episode aired with much fanfare. The amount of fans that gathered outside of the restaurant where the wrap party is held attest to that. The media also contributed to the crowd which Chaewon is thankful for because how else will she get a slew of photos of Minjoo in a black turtleneck paired with a tight yellow leather skirt that hugs her curves in the right way? She unabashedly oogles at all the media photos with Minjoo slapping her at times, shy but obviously liking Chaewon’s attention. The positive media hype around Minjoo continues as she signs onto the next drama, formally beginning preparations. Minjoo buries herself in the scripts, breaking down nuances to understand and develop her new character wholly. The new greatest fun of having a girlfriend around is to persuade Chaewon to read lines with her, although she soon realises the persuasion is not needed when it is her overly enthusiastic partner that often breaks Minjoo out of the moment. Minjoo whines but really, she likes it because what is there to complain about a supportive other half?

 

The support they have for each other transcends the both of them. Family dinners that include Minjoo become more frequent to the point Nako even requests for Minjoo to bring her out sometime. Eunbi fakes sadness, when the adults all sense the true happiness at their growing family, because Nako panicking is not one a naughty mother like Eunbi can miss out on. Hugs and assurances are shared after that and the promise Minjoo shares with Nako will be fulfilled when the little girl scores well on her upcoming spelling test.

 

They don’t forget Minjoo’s side as well. While she is not as tight with her family as Chaewon is, the important people in Minjoo’s life are still very much there except in the non-blood related form. Matching schedules of four big celebrities, a surgeon, a pilates teacher (yes, the Angel unnies did squeeze their youngest real hard to make sure she invited her other half) is a huge challenge and they are doing it… just set two weeks ahead of time. There is one more person invited to the dinner as well, except she will be the only one oblivious to the invitation list only thinking it will be a gathering of the favourite group she managed. Chaewon and Minjoo have decided it is time to tell Chaeyeon of their relationship. It is a joy they are unwilling to contain any longer, especially not to their mutual friend, and it will be ideal in the presence of the Angel members, introducing Chaewon officially to them for the first time.

 

Everything is going as well as it can be; Chaewon is determined to make every time worthwhile, making choices that do not threaten her time anymore than it should. Like now, instead of her regular afternoon cup of black coffee, she chooses to grab matcha latte from the hospital’s cafe. So while heading back up to the skills lab where Wonyoung is waiting for her to teach more advanced surgical techniques, Chaewon is briefly entertaining her procrastinating girlfriend via text.

 

Minjoo

It’s the same, you know.

That’s why it is unfair.

 

Chaewon

But it’s in your job description not mine.

 

Minjoo

Still, how is it that you get to ogle at press photos of me in ‘celebrity’ mode

(i still resent this labelling)

And I don’t get to even see you in ‘surgeon’ mode.

A selfie a day is a fair request if you ask me.

 

Chaewon

That’s why nobody is asking you.

 

Minjoo

Unnie!

 

Chaewon

I am so amused.

Our entire conversation is basically us being shamelessly attracted to each other.

 

Minjoo

You say it like it’s a bad thing.

 

Chaewon tries to control her smile as she exits the elevator to the neurosurgical floor. She is pretty damn sure it is not a bad thing and secretly concludes that she likes being a surgeon more just because Minjoo likes that side of her. Will Wonyoung forgive me if I don’t teach her this afternoon? Chaewon suddenly really wants to see Minjoo, and she blissfully lets that thought float in her mind.

 

Chaewon

Definitely not a bad thing.

Proud to be on the receiving end of Kim Minjoo’s attention.

And you know what?

I’ll casually forget to change out of my scrubs today and head home.

(smirks)

 

Chaewon is a fool of Minjoo and she knows it. She gulps down her cooling matcha latte to calm the racing heart she caused herself before going to Wonyoung. Unfortunately, someone else meets her before that.

 

“Hi, are you Dr Kim Chaewon?”

 

Immediately, Chaewon schools her expression to present her professional self. She keeps her phone into one of the pockets of her white coat. “Yes, I am. How can I help?”

 

The man seems to be in his early thirties, well groomed and neatly dressed in a grey sweater with a blue collared shirt underneath. His black pants and loafers complete the look. The man turns his phone screen towards Chaewon and she leans closer to read what is on it. It is the news article about Chaewon and the Dubai patient. “This Dr Kim Chaewon right?” He questions to confirm.

 

“Yes, this Dr Kim. May I know who I am speaking to?”

 

“Oh right.” He switches his phone to produce a name card in his hands. With polite hands, he hands it over to Chaewon. “Reporter Oh Eungyu from The Daily.”

 

“Mr Oh.” Chaewon recognises his company. They are not mainstream media but their online presence is fairly remarkable, covering a wide range of news. Still, she can’t figure out why he is interested in her. “Is there anything you need?”

 

“I am hoping to have a chat with you, Dr Kim. To know more about the surgeon behind the operation. Do you think you can spare some time to answer a few of my questions?” She watches as he already pulls out his notebook and arms himself with a pen. It is a strange scenario; usually reporters will approach the hospital’s public relations team and any interviews will be arranged through them. She feels somewhat ambushed and uneasy about what is happening.

 

“May I know what this is for? Because the operation has passed for more than a while now, I don’t think there is much news anymore.”

 

“But the good looking neurosurgeon with wonder hands behind that operation is news.” Chaewon flinches slightly at his blatant remark. Talk about surface compliments, this is surely a prime example. “It will not take too long, Dr Kim. A quick chat I promise, just to know you. It may not be written, my editor may not even approve if there’s nothing much.”

 

“I am kind of on the way to class I have to teach.” She hopes he has some sense to register her reluctance but determination must be a must-have reporter trait because he cleverly works with it.

 

“I can walk with you. That is how fast the chat will be, you wouldn’t even think much of it.”

 

The skills lab is located at one end of the neurosurgical floor which is only five minutes if she walks briskly. Chaewon really cannot think of any more excuses to reject the man and for no real reason, she shouldn’t really be offending a reporter. Neurosurgeons already have a stereotype of being snobbish, not being willing to spare five minutes will surely add to that. “Alright then.”

 

“Thank you. Now we are on the record. So Dr Kim, how would you describe your day? I can’t imagine it to be a regular 9-5 to be able to do what you do.”

 

“It changes depending on what’s on my schedule. It can be appointments or surgeries or downtime for research.”

 

“So do you have much free time?”

 

Chaewon is puzzled at his question because it seems pretty straightforward to her. “I try to keep it balanced.”

 

“I am sure you do. Otherwise how will you have time for your family because I am sure a surgeon with looks like yours can’t be single.”

 

The statement is incredibly leading and Chaewon is uncomfortable at the thought of a fluff piece written of her. This is a frustrating reminder of the early portion of her career where people focused on her age, gender, appearance before acknowledging her skills. “You are too kind.” She cleverly circumvents his line.

 

The reporter is sensible to notice enough to not pursue that lead. Instead he switches back to a more work-related angle. “You have been practising for twenty years already. Do you have any notable patients you can’t forget?”

 

They pass the halfway mark enroute to the skills lab. “Certainly I would never forget the first patient I treated, there is also the patient I sat with for five nights in a row while I was a young fellow monitoring the vitals in case of complications, and also the patient who received the same surgery as the Dubai one… that patient trusted me in an entirely new venture-”

 

“Those are unforgettable I am sure.” The reporter interrupts Chaewon with obvious disinterest in what she mentioned. His expression is much more determined as he speaks on. “But I was asking about the patients themselves. Famous people because I heard…” He suddenly lowers his volume. “I heard you treated Kim Minjoo when she came into the hospital’s emergency room. Is that true?”

 

The mention of Minjoo’s name is what gets Chaewon on immediate defense mode. With much will she trains her expression to not show that alarm because she knows this reporter will easily read into that. Chaewon hopes her continuing neutral expression is passable.

 

“I do not comment about my patients so I certainly would not elaborate on whether anyone is my patient or not. It is basic doctor-patient privilege, Mr Oh. Just like reporters and the ethics of ‘on and off the record’.” Her tone is the exact one she used as a doctor, factual and calm.

 

“We can certainly leave it off the record if you like. Angel’s Kim Minjoo. There is a rumor she came to this hospital after a fall on set. I understand you can’t go into the details of her injury, I just want to know if you treated her.” He is carefully observing Chaewon while he speaks.

 

“I don’t see how the identities of my patients,” she wisely uses plural form to make it a collective, hoping to push through the subtext of how she views her patients as one entity. “Is relevant. I treat my patients with no discrimination because that is what doctors do.” Changing the angle, focusing on morality and ethics are Chaewon’s sway to dissuade the reporter from forming any links.

 

They arrive outside the skills lab and it seems Chaewon’s divergence has worked to the extent the reporter is wary he may have offended her. “I wasn’t insinuating that you are a doctor that gives preferential treatment, Dr Kim. I am sorry if it comes across that way. I merely am interested to know-”

This time, she interrupts him instead. “I repeat, on or off the record, I do not comment on my patients and therefore, would not confirm or deny if anyone is my patient. Mr Oh, I don’t think much of our conversation is useful for anything and you have taken up enough of my time. This should be all?”

 

“Yes.” He bows a little and Chaewon only returns with a nod before she disappears into the room. Once inside, her eyebrows immediately draw together in a frown. She puts her drink down in a thud stronger than intended. Chaewon knew that the reporter gave her bad vibes and she should have been more firm with herself. Now at the cost of hearing a stranger putting Chaewon and Minjoo’s names together in the same conversation is incredibly unsettling.

 

“Unnie, are you okay?” Wonyoung asks after watching Chaewon enter the room and stand in silence with a scowl on her face.

 

The eyebrows loosen a bit of the tension as Chaewon looks at Wonyoung. “Yeah, just ran into some problem on the way here. Give me a minute and I’ll be right with you?”

 

Wonyoung nods and goes back to what she is practising earlier while Chaewon mindlessly removes her white coat. Running back the entire conversation in her head, Chaewon is sure she didn’t say anything that exposes them. So she can only hope his leading questions have nothing more to them after her diplomatic answers.

 

--

 

“Why are you still in your scrubs?”

 

Eunbi’s question resonates through the house when Chaewon has barely stepped through the door. Like mother, Nako barely gives Chaewon time to answer the question when she is pounced on by the little girl. “Because Aunty Chae is a doctor!” Nako giggles as she clings like a koala around Chaewon’s leg forcing the older woman to be planted in her spot. There is no way she has the strength to lift the weight of a seven year old with one leg.

 

“Gosh I forget how much she likes you in scrubs.” Eunbi mumbles to herself, not willin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter