Only theirs

When breath becomes air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun that bore witness to their heart to heart talk this morning, now seems to haunt Chaewon under its light. High up in the sky, the afternoon sun illuminates everything in the vast land of Jeju nature very... very clearly. The distance between where she is and the ground below is drawn out in absolute vividness as Chaewon holds her trembles in. At the summit of one of Jeju’s volcanic cones, she would have considered the beauty of the surrounding plains and ocean scenery of the coasts if she is not too occupied with the idea of being launched into the Jeju air. She is here for her promised activity with Minjoo: paragliding.

 

Sure, she may be exaggerating a little with the word ‘launch’ but in the harness and helmet she is made to put on, it definitely feels like it. The crazy thought of possibly wearing her scrubs and doctor’s white coat comes into mind - they are the equivalent of her power suit, having conquered so many obstacles in them - but the physics of the flapping white coat against the wind and the potential of ruining the flight predominantly dependent on the relation between wind and resistance, she dismissed her own crazy idea. Not that she has her medical outfit with her anyways.

 

Not too sure whether to be thankful at her own drifting thoughts for briefly taking her mind off the nervousness, Chaewon knows that either way it is here to stay, like the woman who got her here in the first place.

 

“Are you sure we can see the sunrise tomorrow?” Chaewon snaps out immediately when Minjoo is within earshot. Her girlfriend has tied her hair in a low ponytail so her helmet rests securely.

 

“Stop being ridiculous.” Minjoo slaps her on the arm the moment she comes close then reaches out to check that Chaewon has her helmet on properly. Her rather small head concerns Minjoo and once she verified it is all good does she take a good look at the rigid Chaewon. “It’s going to be fun, trust me.”

 

“Trust is the whole essence of a relationship. You know that right.”

 

Nervous Chaewon is a patronising Chaewon too. Minjoo is very amused seeing this new side of her girlfriend.

 

“So I know that you can’t say no to me.” Minjoo boops Chaewon’s nose after checking that their professional tandem instructors have not arrived yet. “So trust and enjoy that once you are up, it will be worth it.”

 

Chaewon turns to look at the view again and takes a deep breath. Now, a tamed Chaewon is extremely adorable, Minjoo notes mentally.

 

Their instructors arrive not long after with all the gears. It is not hard to notice that the two has a visible ; the lanky dude whose hair is spiked up (who still finds this style fashionable, Chaewon wonders) and eyes covered by the reddish orange tinted sports sunglasses approaches them beside a man in neatly maintained salt-pepper colored hair and eyes much clearer behind regular glasses. “Miss Chaewon?”

 

“This is me.” Chaewon receives the handshake the older man gives. The receptionist that first greeted them walked them through the necessary paperwork, provided them with the harnesses which they learned to put on from the safety video they were made to watch. The receptionist then instructed them to wait outside, which is where they are now, for their tandem partners to do the final checks and brief them on how the experience is going to play out. Seems like this is it and next it is off to the air she goes. She tries to stem the nervousness by focusing hard on the man’s next words.

 

“And it is a reservation for 2. How may I address you?” He looks over to Minjoo and the younger man that Chaewon intentionally kept her eyes away from (the spiked hair was a bit of an eyesore) steps closer.

 

“Wait. Aren’t you-” The younger man gestures at Minjoo, words are at the tip of his tongue obvious that he cannot quite figure out where he had seen Minjoo. “Er… it’s…”

 

Chaewon does not want her nervousness to be prolonged. She much rather be given instructions, briefings, information is what she needs if she is going to be ed into the air. Information has never failed her her whole life - from school to her career, they served her well in her excellence. She is not going to miss an instruction that can potentially put her and her tandem instructor’s lives in harm’s way, losing her life over a paragliding incident when her brain cancer has long called dibs on that.

 

Chaewon puts him out of his misery. “Yes she is. Kim Minjoo. Member of legendary girl group, Angel. Kang Eunwoo from the latest drama.”

 

Minjoo is witnessing plenty of ‘new’ today. From being intentionally patronising to delivering sassy lines, Chaewon’s nervous defense mechanism is mashing together her mischievous, cocky, confident neurosurgeon sides altogether. While it is attractively entertaining to watch, as her girlfriend though Minjoo has to help Chaewon rein it in a little given they are in the presence of strangers. Without much of a cue, Minjoo switches on her professional side, flashing her pearly whites in a way she knows has stolen the Korean population’s hearts at one point in time. “Gosh, she’s embarrassing me.”

 

When they laugh, Minjoo knows she has effectively lightened the delivery of Chaewon’s words, sufficiently distracting the men from any negative thought if they were planning on having. “Yes, you can call me Minjoo.” She politely shakes the hands of the two men.

 

“I am Han Sol and this is Jeong Hoon.” The spikey hair dude introduces them. “Wow seriously past idols are way better than current idols. You are so pretty.”

 

Minjoo catches Chaewon’s eyes narrowing at the younger man’s comment and again, Minjoo keeps to her professional self by holding her smile. “You are too polite.” Before this goes on even longer - Chaewon and her have plans for dinner after all and they planned to head back to freshen up before that - Minjoo naturally continues on. “It is such a beautiful day, I can’t wait for the flight. Shall we?”

 

The older man, Jeong Hoon, takes charge of the conversation again. “Yes, I am sure everybody’s excited. Han Sol and I will run through the steps individually with you both since we are going to pair up. Instructor and beginner because I am informed none of you are certified for solo flight? But Minjoo you paraglided before?” Minjoo nods when he glances at her. He acknowledges and continues.

 

“While we are professionals, it is still a tandem flight so teamwork is essential to its success. We want you guys to get the best experience and see what Jeju has to offer. I’ll be Chaewon’s partner and Han Sol will be Minjoo’s and you both will take off first so Chaewon can see how it’s like. Sounds good?”

 

Chaewon does not react much which amuses the three of them. They break off in their pairs and indeed the briefing from Jeong Hoon does calm Chaewon down as she focuses on his words and asking questions when needed. Those comes a little too much because Minjoo is already prepared for take off but she can see her girlfriend in a surprisingly familiar sight - the wrinkles on her forehead as her brows scrunch together, the subconscious pout, and the searing gaze, all bear resemblance to Dr Kim Chaewon at work. This is the Chaewon Minjoo first met in the hospital.

 

After all the questioning, set up and safety checks, they are ready. “I’ll see you down there.” Minjoo manages to whisper to Chaewon, secretly taking her hand to squeeze it as reassurance. Chaewon nods and now the pairs are safely far apart with their paraglider wing spread wide behind them, prepared for take off.

 

“Okay, Han Sol and Minjoo, whenever you are ready!”

 

Even with the distance, Chaewon can tell when Minjoo gives her the one final look. The gleam of excitement in her girlfriend’s eyes is visible and Chaewon really trusts that it will be as she sold it. She allows some excitement to replace the nervousness as she watches Minjoo give her partner an okay sign.

 

In no time, Minjoo and Han Sol make their run through the grassy land and Chaewon holds her breath when the paraglider wing catches traction in the air and lifts them off the cliff. She has seen paragliders in the sky but not once she has seen a take off. It is spectacular and sufficient to arouse more excitement. Forty years of living and now she is challenging to fly. There will be no protection around her like in the aluminium body of a plane. It will be her and the natural element.

 

Run, run, run. That is what Jeong Hoon briefed her earlier and is instructing her now from behind. Then, she feels it. Her legs no longer taking her because it is lifted off the ground and the power comes ing from above. She involuntarily gasps when it happens and she is flying! Suspended by the colorful paraglider wing, Chaewon forgets why she was all so nervous. The lead up seems so easy now and very much worth it too. Fading autumn colors sprinkle the land of Jeju, meeting the curvy lines of the coasts where the bluish white waves crash.

 

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Jeong Hoon asks from behind her.

 

Spectacular. Beautiful. Jaw-dropping. Any word Chaewon can pull out of the dictionary to describe the experience she is having, she would. It took her forty years to try this and she is glad she did. It is every bit amazing as the woman who comes into her world, providing Chaewon with much more than she ever imagined. The very woman whose legs are swinging enthusiastically as Han Sol adds tricks in to swerve their flight from left to right. Their paraglide is turned and Chaewon can see Minjoo clearly. The woman is radiating in absolute joy, waving at Chaewon like it’s the only thing that matters and Chaewon returns the wave.

 

Jeong Hoon chuckles from behind her and Chaewon remembers to answer his question.

 

“Truly.”

 

Up in the sky, even with their instructors behind their backs, this feels every bit like a moment between them. They are sharing this together. The thrill, the joy, the sheer childlike excitement, they both are feeling together.

 

Chaewon knows how ridiculously bright her smile is when she is about to land - Minjoo is waiting for her at the bottom with welcoming arms - but that is quickly dropped when she processes the approaching land! Jeong Hoon had verbally told her how it would be like and the safety video also depicted the landing experience but obviously nothing can compare to actually getting through it. The force of the landing is overwhelming to the first timer Chaewon but the experienced Jeong Hoon is able to hold them steady and Chaewon gets her legs to cooperate. He simultaneously reins in the wings, expertly pulling them down in a firm move so it is not dragging them.


“How was it!” The younger Kim tackles Chaewon by her shoulders not long after she gets her bearings together and despite her surprise, Chaewon still musters the biggest smile as she turns around to say. “It was everything you said it would be.”

 

Fully aware where they are, Minjoo has to really resist not pulling Chaewon into a hug. But her own adrenaline is pumping through her body from the flight and Minjoo kickstarts a ramble. “I really thought the view of New Zealand would be hard to beat but wow, our own backyard lies such a scenery. And the autumn foliage! Autumn may be coming to the end but the shades of brownish orange and red and yellow smoothes from above. Then to know you are also seeing the same thing- I told you right, once in the air it is no longer scary! I can’t believe we both tried that together!”

 

Chaewon concludes certainly, rambling-in excitement-Minjoo is the world’s most adorable thing and she may have done something stupid if not for their instructors’ timely appearance after packing up the paragliding wings.

 

“When I see people buzzing in adrenaline after the flight, that is the best feeling of my job.” Jeong Hoon comments and his younger counterpart adds. “Come back again! Jeju’s beautiful all year round.” The two women share a look: they definitely agreed. Han Sol then pulls out his phone. “Do you mind if we take a photo together?”

 

Minjoo nods and Chaewon naturally gravitates away but Han Sol adds. “All of us? Jeonghoon hyung too, since we all flew together.” Chaewon looks to Minjoo for assistance and perhaps it is the adrenaline that is pushing her to be more daring, Minjoo indulges in Han Sol’s request - or is it for her own want as well? She pulls Chaewon beside with eyes silently telling her that it will be alright. They are sandwiched by their tandem partners after all, it is strictly a commemorative photo, one they will all enjoy keeping as memory. Another staff takes the shot of them and the women are done with their afternoon adventure.

 

--

Chaewon opts to lean by the doorway instead of getting out of the washroom. She does not want to ruin this moment.

 

Standing in front of the dressing table, Minjoo is leaning close to the mirror as she daintily brushes her eyelashes with mascara. It is a simple act but damn, Chaewon is so entranced. Minjoo has already changed into her dinner outfit, long sleeved red bohemian dress that wraps perfectly around her body. The skirt has a neat opening slightly off center which features glimpses of Minjoo’s legs when she moves. The oblivious actress finishes her eye makeup and picks up something Chaewon can already anticipate will melt her further- a lipstick that matches the shade of her dress. Minjoo applies it in a smooth motion and if Chaewon was already entranced, how can she describe herself now?

 

After smacking her lips together which evens out the lipstick, Minjoo straightens up having completed her make up. It is then that she spots Chaewon on the mirror reflection. “How long are you standing there for?” She speaks to Chaewon through the reflection.

 

Chaewon grins upon being caught. She finally leaves her spot to walk up to Minjoo. “Not long enough. I didn’t know watching you do your makeup is this interesting.” Chaewon comes right behind Minjoo so Minjoo turns to sit on the edge of the dressing table. Chaewon’s arms swivel around her waist and Minjoo hooks her arms around Chaewon’s neck. “Call me next time you are doing your makeup. I’ll come immediately to sit and watch.”

 

Minjoo tilts her head playfully. “When you are this good-looking too, I’ll definitely call you.”

 

Chaewon’s interest in her is entirely flattering and while Minjoo can churn out equally strong lines herself now, her blushing cheeks are a dead giveaway she will never stop feeling shy being with Chaewon. It is a reaction she will gladly endure because blatantly flirting with each other is definitely something neither of them are going to complain about. Minjoo turns her attention to Chaewon’s outfit choice for the night. She has on a blue pinstriped A-line dress which tightens snugly around Chaewon’s small waist. It is charmingly smart and attractive for the surgeon who usually parades around in hoodies.

 

Up close, Chaewon better admires Minjoo’s makeup whose application enhances her best facial features. Minjoo’s ‘celebrity’ look, as Chaewon nicknamed. Unlike Minjoo, Chaewon’s makeup tends to be on the lighter end so it pales in comparison but judging from Minjoo’s admiring gaze, her girlfriend likes her all the same.

 

So the older Kim wears a proud grin and Minjoo’s attention is drawn to Chaewon’s glossy lips. The surgeon must have applied lip balm. The sight sparks an inspiration. “Would you like a celebrity treatment?” Minjoo reaches behind with her right arm and picks up her lipstick. She toys with it in front of Chaewon. “This shade will look good on you too.”

 

“Hm.” Chaewon is pleasantly delighted by Minjoo’s cheesy romantic idea. She pretends to ponder even though she pretty much wouldn’t say no.

 

“Hm?” Minjoo copies but in a very different tone when she already senses Chaewon’s agreement. She teasingly uncaps the lipstick and very slowly twirls the color out. She giggles when Chaewon’s eyes follow the lipstick intently as Minjoo brings it to her lips. “Hm…” Minjoo hums this in a more certain tone as the color is applied on. The red indeed comes off nicely for Chaewon’s milky white skin tone and Minjoo’s strategic light application allows it to complement the rest of Chaewon’s makeup instead of her lips standing out too much.

 

“Smack your lips.” Minjoo instructs and Chaewon does as so, albeit naughtily by doing it loudly and then quickly pecking Minjoo.

 

Minjoo is cutely surprised and Chaewon smirks. “You didn’t specify how to smack so I did variations.”

 

“You.... cocky neurosurgeon.” Minjoo pushes the far too intelligent woman away and cleans up the dresser. If she continues indulging Chaewon (and herself) in these sweet moments, they are never making it to dinner. It seems Chaewon realises so because she chuckles and proceeds to pick up their jackets. She puts on a black leather jacket for herself and holds out Minjoo’s woollen cardigan. Minjoo slides in graciously.

 

When they are all ready, Chaewon sticks her hand out. “Shall we?”

 

Minjoo finds the name of the restaurant familiar when Chaewon leads her to an independent building that sits by the coast. She cannot ponder much on where she had heard the name before when her attention is taken by the way the chef at the counter brightens up when Chaewon and Minjoo enter the restaurant.

 

Chaewon had told her on the way that she knew the chef-owner of the place so she promised it will be a treat to foodie-Minjoo. Seafood, she teased. One of Jeju's greatest pride.

 

The chef cleans his hands on the towel tucked in the front pocket of his white apron and taps the shoulder of the other chef, signaling that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter