Worth it

When breath becomes air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: It hasn't been an easy time for us so before you start, I'll mention that this chapter is rather long and heavy and my advice to best read it, ensure you have time and space. There's no hurry, I am not removing the fic or anything, I'll keep writing if yall keep reading. 

 

 

Chaewon puts the plushie on the table and stands before Minjoo with the charming smile she fell for. "This is for you."

 

Chaewon's words snap Minjoo out of her shock and quickly pulls herself back into professionalism. Everybody's watching her from below the stage. So Minjoo plasters her famous wide toothy smile that brings her indian dimples out. "You must have been a fan since I was an idol." She sits the frog plushie on her lap, backhugging the toy so she can reach the pen and bromide.

 

"It was quite a famous association then wasn't it? You and a frog." Chaewon stares down at Minjoo with an unwavering gaze.

 

While Minjoo can see the heavier eyebags under Chaewon's eyes, there is still the inherent sparkle her eyes carry when they look at her. Minjoo noticed it has only grown brighter the longer they been together and her favourite time to look into those eyes are always during the special nights they share - where only darkness surrounds but clarity isn't missed and she sees Chaewon's feelings for her through them. Like now.

 

"It was indeed." Minjoo picks up the pen without breaking away. "Who do I sign this for?"

 

"Chaewon."

 

"Just that?"

 

"Yes, just that."

 

Minjoo uncaps the pen and finally breaks their gaze. They need to remember they are in public. While Minjoo signs, Chaewon lets her eyes roam to Chaeyeon beside, and they communicate through non-verbal cues. The raise of Chaeyeon's brows definitely indicated that Chaewon needs to explain herself and so for now, she appeases Chaeyeon with a grin.

 

In time, Minjoo is done signing and she raises it for Chaewon to see. It is a nice bromide with Minjoo's picture and the sign sits at the bottom beside the Monster Chicken logo. However, there is something more.

 

I hope to see you for a long long time.

 

Chaewon pauses. It may seem like a message suitable for an idol to a fan but they aren't that. Their romance brings about so much subtext to these words but it has to be left hanging for now as she sees her girlfriend returning with the professional for-public smile. "Thank you for coming."

 

"My pleasure." Chaewon works up a grin and takes the signed bromide with her.

 

The fansign ends a little after Chaewon's turn. The surgeon stands in the back of the crowded ticket holders area. Minjoo walks up to the front of the stage with a microphone in hand.

 

"It is nice to be able to meet my fans up close after so long. Some familiar, some new. Thank you for all your kind words about the drama that is airing now. It is a fun project and one I am proud of. I hope you guys enjoyed this afternoon and to some, I look forward to greeting you guys at the upcoming fanmeet!"

 

Minjoo finishes with her eyes on Chaewon before looking away to hand the microphone to the staff. She makes a few bows at different points of the stage and leaves for the exit.

 

They are clear of fans, just Minjoo, Chaeyeon, their staff and the security guards walking to the van at the carpark level. Chaeyeon's phone pings and the manager smirks when she sees the sender's name. She shows it to Minjoo. The actress readies herself before the text message is opened, not knowing what her girlfriend has in mind after making her presence known in front of Chaeyeon outside regular ‘friend’ situation.

 

Chaewon

Did I surprise both of you?

I didn't think I could make it when I saw that I won it but I guess my schedule worked out so I decided to pop by.

Wished you could've seen the expressions on you two.

Also, Minjoo really is a pro. She played along very well.

I'll text her as well to apologise!

 

At that moment, a ping on Minjoo's phone. Chaeyeon is typing her reply as they walk so Minjoo reads her own.

 

Chaewon

No apology, just an invitation to a date with your favourite neurosurgeon.

 

A location is attached in the message after and Minjoo tries hard to suppress the smile that is building up.

 

"Was that her apology message? What did she say?" Chaeyeon locks her phone when she is done replying Chaewon.

 

Minjoo closes the message away so Chaeyeon does not see the actual content. "Just said she hopes I like the frog plushie and she thanked me for the signature." Minjoo lies, playing along to the last minute save Chaewon concocted. They really would love to share their joy with their friend, but it is definitely better that she doesn't know.

 

Thankfully, Chaeyeon believes them because the cheerful woman chimes. "I told her I never knew she was such a fried chicken fan to eat enough to accidentally win a fansign slot. Guess doctors ain't the healthiest."

 

"Who doesn't love fried chicken right?" Minjoo smiles and gracefully enters the van.

 

After being dropped off at her apartment building, Minjoo waited for the coast to be clear before circling around to grab a cab.

--

"Did you wait long?" Minjoo removes her mask after being led to the table by the waiter. Since it's still early for dinner, this upscale restaurant only has them as patrons and Minjoo is liking the privacy. The way Chaewon instinctively stands when she realises her girlfriend's appearance is incredibly reflecting of her affection and Minjoo is not holding back either, walking over to her girlfriend and wrapping her in a tight hug.

 

There is it. The comfortable scent that relaxes Minjoo and brings the ends of her lips up.

 

“For you, I will wait no matter how long.” Chaewon whispers, arms tightly wrapped around Minjoo’s waist.

 

“Flirt.” Minjoo complains but her tone betrays how much she likes it. Anything from Chaewon, she likes it.

 

They probably would not stop hugging if Chaewon didn’t notice the waiter walking over with the menu. They thank the waiter for that and now alone again, they continue taking in the person opposite them.

 

“Are you cold?” Chaewon asks because Minjoo has a cardigan on that she didn’t have earlier during the fansign. The black cardigan is covering up the beautiful bright yellow dress that suits her girlfriend a lot.

 

Minjoo shakes her head and fiddles with the cardigan. Her girlfriend didn’t address the cardigan specifically but Minjoo can guess Chaewon’s deductions. “I wore it just in case I get noticed. I couldn’t change out of the outfit because I didn’t want to keep you waiting.” Minjoo watches as Chaewon’s eyes roam, taking in every detail of the dress and back up to her eyes.

 

“You look beautiful as always.”

 

Chaewon has complimented her before, most of the time hidden behind witty words and cheeky gazes. Minjoo also has received compliments from Chaewon that are of a different nature too, those serious stares and delivered in a low tone, sometimes whispered. But this evening, the way the compliments come, unrestrained and instinctive, strike some resemblance to the time of their text messages before they were official and the surgeon sent them while pulling several late nights. Now, it must be an identical Chaewon - one with the mind and body running on automation and pure instinct, raw and true.

 

Her girlfriend is tired.

 

“Let’s order shall we?” Minjoo leads so they can order quickly and feed themselves and get Chaewon home for a good rest. She is appreciative of Chaewon purposely getting them out on a date but she also worries. So this quick date can be a middleground.

 

Tired Chaewon also happens to be very good at following orders so she does not question Minjoo’s sudden direction. After the waiter has taken their orders, Minjoo finally asks the question she is most curious about.

 

“How was your surgery?”

 

Chaewon immediately smiles in a daze and puts up an ‘ok’ sign and the way Minjoo beams in absolute pride, Chaewon knows she picked the right girl.

 

“You finished fast…” Minjoo leans forward and puts her elbows on the table top. She rests her chin on her right palm.

 

Chaewon does the same but she does not put them in a precarious situation by leaning close. The distance between them is only for show, not reflecting the connecting hearts. "Wonyoung did well assisting me. Most of the bumps were challenging but nothing we weren't prepared for."

 

Sparkles illuminated in Chaewon's eyes as she recalls and Minjoo can easily see the depth of passion Chaewon has for her profession. It is one of Minjoo’s favourite sights.

 

"It sounds exciting."

 

"It was every bit that." Chaewon acknowledges with a grin before adding on. "I guess there's more excitement finishing it because I knew what plans I had after."

 

Minjoo chuckles in delight at Chaewon's obvious insinuation. "And may I ask how long has it been since you came up with the plan to crash my fansign?"

 

"Remember the night where you brought me tea after you showered and I was deep in concentration planning my surgery so you decided not to disturb me? When I found you after, watching a movie alone in bed with your iPad, I felt guilt not giving you as much as you have given me."

 

As touching as Chaewon’s words are, that the doctor never ceases to amaze at how much she notices, mixed feelings enter as Minjoo’s worry resurfaces. This is Chaewon forcing balance with everything in her life and with her at the receiving end of a gaze that holds undeniable affection but under tired hooded eyes, Minjoo pains… silently.


For this, she hopes Chaewon does not notice.

 

If Chaewon says nothing, Minjoo doesn't have the right - and so she smiles. It is not faked because it is for Chaewon. At the end of the day, that's how she makes her feel. Worth smiling for.

 

"So that's how you became one big romantic. Perhaps we should change your order to salad." Salad as a counter to all the fried chicken Chaewon ordered, Minjoo chooses lighthearted words because that’s all she can say.

 

Chaewon sticks her tongue out. "No salad after surgery." A tired Chaewon is also one that is less observant.

 

Minjoo leans back into her chair when she notices the food arriving. “Let’s enjoy our pasta then.”

 

But Chaewon didn’t enjoy it. She did not finish her plate at all and even as she tried to hide it, Minjoo could tell something was wrong. Somewhere midway through the meal, Chaewon froze and the frown that came stayed persistent despite Chaewon trying to unwind it. Minjoo asked and Chaewon assured her it was just a small headache and urged her to continue sharing her fansign experience while she listened. Minjoo did but now that she has finished with her own plate and Chaewon’s plate of pasta barely touched, Minjoo knows she needs to take action.

 

“Let’s get you home.”

 

She does not wait for Chaewon and waves for the bill.

 

“Then let’s pack some dessert.”

 

Trust Chaewon to have thoughts like this even when she isn’t feeling well, Minjoo quickly plays along because she does not want to prolong their time out. She picks out a few slices of cakes that will be good for Eunbi and Nako too.

 

“Where did you park?” Minjoo asks when they are out of the restaurant, palm stretched ready to receive the keys but Chaewon shakes her head.

 

“I didn’t drive. Left my car at the hospital.”

 

Even she knows she’s tired to the point she does not want to risk driving. Minjoo catches Chaewon suddenly flinching and a masked groan as she turns her head away from Minjoo.

 

Minjoo instinctively comes closer. “Is it hurting a lot? And don’t lie to me.”

 

With one hand holding onto her bag and the box of cakes, Minjoo uses her right hand to reach out for Chaewon’s and the older Kim turns back in surprise. They never showed affection in public before but Minjoo is not concerned with any of that when she is more worried about Chaewon.

 

Chaewon has never seen Minjoo this serious and she feels terrible knowing she ruined their night. She nods hesitantly. Her girlfriend wants to know.

 

“Let’s get a cab then.” Minjoo changes the touch to hooking her arm with Chaewon’s and ignores the conscious stare Chaewon is giving her. Nothing matters more than Chaewon right now.

 

Thankfully, they manage to get a cab easily because Chaewon’s headaches are evidently worsening. The number of times Chaewon closes her eyes in sheer pain causes Minjoo to bite on her lips more, as if that pain can come close to feeling like Chaewon. It does not matter if they are in the backseat of the cab with a driver in front, Minjoo does not want to be far from Chaewon. In fact, she takes the skinship even further by entwining their hands together and getting Chaewon to rest her head on her shoulder. By now, the older woman is more clouded by the pain than to consider other things, grasping on these fleeting awareness of Minjoo’s touch and scent to keep her sanity.

 

Nothing can prepare Minjoo for the heartache than to watch Chaewon struggle to get out of the cab. Minjoo hurriedly comes over to support her girlfriend while thanking the driver for his patience. He offers to help but Chaewon manages a polite refusal.

 

“Can I bring you to the hospital please, Chae?” Minjoo has her arm wrapped around the back of Chaewon because she fears the older Kim will lose strength but Chaewon is stubborn.

 

Chaewon shakes her head. “Just need my rest is all. Not the first time.” She raises her right arm up with the signed poster to point to the lift lobby. The older woman has been holding the poster tightly since they left the restaurant. “Let’s go.” With the familiarity of her own building at the back of her mind, Chaewon is determined to walk independently.

 

Minjoo persistently keeps close when Chaewon walks with occasional stumbles that prompts Minjoo’s heart to skip a beat every time that happens. It’s ironic how it is usually for totally different reasons from the same giver.

 

“Eunbi and Nako…” Chaewon says when they reach Chaewon’s apartment level. “Will really like these cakes…” She smiles weakly and takes Minjoo’s arm that is resting behind her back into her handhold. “How about you pass it to them first?”

 

Minjoo feels Chaewon suddenly clenching her hand and sees Chaewon gulping. Minjoo wants to refuse her suggestion then but again, Chaewon reads her expression and despite whatever she is going through, adds. “We… are already here.” Chaewon releases their handhold and inches towards her door. “Don’t worry…”

 

Step by step, Minjoo watches as Chaewon gets to her apartment so she reasons to be fast with handing the desserts over, then with no excuse, properly going to Chaewon. She rings Eunbi’s doorbell as she hears Chaewon opening her own door.

 

“Oh Minjoo!” Eunbi answers the door with pleasant surprise. “How was the fansign? Did my sister manage to surprise you?” Her eyes notice the box Minjoo is holding onto. “Ooo is that cake?”

 

“Yes-” Minjoo is about to lift the box up when they hear a crash coming from n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter