Chapter 8 - I Do

Part of Me (will always be yours)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

Chapter Eight

 

The fireworks display already ended and it was beautiful. Yena and her siblings made fantastic job with those explosives. You and Minjoo watch the fireworks in comfortable silence, both lost in the moment though you might have kept on stealing glances at her side during the whole time. You just can't stop yourself, you were afraid that she might caught you and make things awkward but then the lights and colors of the fireworks reflecting on her contented face was just too hard to resist. You find it a lot more beautiful than the fireworks itself.

The campers are having party at the beach, Nako mentioned it to you earlier how right after the fireworks there will be a party. It is part of the Camp Half Blood’s tradition and curfew is lifted for tonight, so campers are allowed to loiter around the camp. You and Minjoo decided to just stay here at the Half Blood Hill and ditch the party.

Minjoo told you how wild the Camp Half Blood party is, children of Dionysus leading the party with the help of Apollo cabin and Hermes cabin, you can't imagine how chaotic that party is. Even from afar you can see the campers getting wild at the beach. More reason for you to not attend that party, besides you'll always choose to spend time alone with Minjoo than to mingle with the other campers.

With your soda and chips, you two shared the things that you've been doing the past week. You told her how you spent your week, trying to make your week as interesting as it could be. Also, avoiding to spill how much you missed her and that your week was in fact boring because she's not here at Camp. Nope, you cannot say those words or else this little bubble you two are in right now, might burst. You also told her the impromptu swimming earlier this day. How you all tried to drown each other.


"I can't believe I miss all that fun" she said, pouting.


She looks so adorable with that pout.


"We can go and swim anytime you want," you replied, without even thinking.


"Really?" she immediately answered, her face lighting up "But I don't know how to swim that's why I rarely swim at the beach" she added, her face falling.


"I’m not a good swimmer but I can teach you the basics," you said, but she eyed you suspiciously "I won't let you get drown, I promise" you assured her, handing out your pinky finger.


"I'll look forward to that" Minjoo said, locking her pinky finger with yours “And I know that Romans are true to their words so you better keep that promise, Yujin” she added, eyeing you

You just laughed at her comment about you keeping your promise. She’s right with that one, Romans values honor and integrity, so breaking promises is not in your vocabulary. Besides, there’s no way you’ll let her get drown, you thought maybe it’s time to practice your swimming skills.

Minjoo put down her hands but she didn't let go of your pinky finger. You are like, holding hands but, only with your pinky fingers and you think it's cute so you just let it be. She told you how her exams went. How she arrived 45 minutes late on one of her exams because she can’t sleep the night before that. She also told you that despite starting late she was the first one to finish the exam and got perfect score, to which her classmates found suspicious. You laughed at that part, you can’t help but pity her classmates, if they only knew that Minjoo is a literal brain child they will never question her wits.

She keeps on telling you stories, saying words and technical terms that you can't understand. But you still listened, or more of you still watched her, there is something fascinating about Minjoo when she talks. Especially when she talks about things that she likes. You find yourself smiling while watching her.

 

"What?" she suddenly said, stopping from what she was explaining.

 

You just arched your brow, because you didn't know what she's asking.

 

"You've been staring, Yujin" she explained, with amuse smile "Then you suddenly smiled"

 

"Did I?" you ask coolly, trying to hide that fact that you have been caught ogling at her.

 

"Yes, you are," she replied, fixing her position possibly to a more comfortable one or more intimidating one "So, what is going in that pretty head of yours?" she asks.

 

"Nothing," You answered, sitting up right "I just miss you, and watching you talk made me realize that" you confess, grinning sheepishly at her.

 

Minjoo arched her brow then slowly her lips curled up.

 

“I thought you’ll never say that,” she said, as her smile widens "I've been waiting for you to say that since I got back"

 

For a brief moment you thought you heard her wrong. You stared at her slightly shock, waiting for her to say that she was just kidding. But Minjoo is still smiling at you, slowly you smile widely and she chuckles. She then returned to her story and continued like nothing happened, like you didn't just confess that you miss her and she didn't just confess that she has been waiting for you to say it.

You find that scenario funny and cute at the same time. One of the things you like about hanging out with her is how organic your conversations are. How you both can say what you feel and what you think then act like it was nothing. It’s refreshing how your conversation flows naturally.

She went back to her story while you continue on watching her. You noticed that the corner of curls up while she’s speaking. An indication that she is in a good mood, seems like hearing that you miss her put her into good mood. That thought made you smile even more.

Around one in the morning the party at beach died down. You and Minjoo fell into a comfortable silence, just sitting there and watching the campers as they walk back towards the Cabins. Minjoo’s head is leaning on your shoulder, she has been using your shoulder as pillow for about an hour now.

She mentioned that she came straight from the university, that she didn't even got the chance to rest or even stop by at her apartment. Explains why she seems tired and why she’s not opening another conspiracy theory with you again.

 

"It's getting late," you started and she just hummed in response "you should get some rest" you added, tilting your head to her side.

 

"I'm already resting, Yujinie" she answered softly.

 

"I mean at your cabin," you chuckle “it’s more comfortable resting on your own bed”

 

"Maybe later," she replied, with a yawn "I like it here, also I think your shoulder is a lot more comfortable than my own bed, so let me rest here"

 

You suppress a smile and just let her, she indeed seems relax but you on the other hand can already feel your shoulder getting numb, your back also feel stiff from sitting too long without moving. You wanted to tell her that, but after what she said you thought better of it. Also, you got to admit you also likes this, you like it when Minjoo leans her head on your shoulder, it makes you feel like you are dependable.

 

You suddenly remember that you intend to open a certain topic with her and now feels like the perfect time to do it.

 

“I have a question for you,” you said, breaking the silence.

 

“Hmmm” Minjoo hums in response.

 

“Do you think breaking someone’s heart is romantic?” You ask

 

Aphrodite vaguely explained it to you in your dream but she’s the goddess of love and she finds everything romantic. So, you are curious on what Minjoo thinks, she’s logical and she is good on explaining things.

 

“It depends on the context, Yujin” she answered, after thinking “Someone’s words and actions are defined by their intentions and motives” she added.

 

“What do you mean?” you ask tilting your head to see her face, her eyes are close, it seems like anytime now she’ll fall asleep.

 

“I’ve come to realize that there’s a reason why a person does things that they do, they always have motives and intentions, on why they did that certain act. There’s no way a person will do something without any reason, whether it’s absurd or valid, there’s got to be some reason behind it.” Minjoo explained, her eyes still close.

 

You got the gist of what she meant with her explanation but you know that Minjoo will further explain it. So, you wait until she continues her explanation. And you are right, she does still have something to say. Minjoo removed her head away from your shoulder and turn to face you. You grabbed that moment to subtly fixed you position and relax your shoulder that have gone stiff and numb.

 

“You ask me if breaking someone’s heart is romantic,” she said, looking at you “It depends on what is intention of that person, Yujin. Context on why they did that, did they break that person’s heart because they just want to, just for the sake of breaking it? or maybe they did it because the situation pushed them to make that decision? Because they had to, because they had no other choice?” she continued, looking straight at you.

 

Earlier you can already understand the gist of what she’s saying but now you cannot understand what she truly wants to say. So, you just look at her confuse, and Minjoo chuckles at your reaction.

 

“Look,” she said, laughing lightly “breaking someone’s heart can be considered romantic, if they did it for each other’s sake. Like you both still love each other but the situation and timing are not in your favor. Where, you are left with no other choice but to let go and go on separate ways because the circumstances pushed you to make that choice,” she said smiling, sadly.

 

“Why let go, if you both still love each other then?” you ask.

 

“Because, relationship is not just all about love, there are other factors to consider. Circumstances that affects the relationship.” She answered, leaning her head on your shoulders again “Sometimes… love isn’t enough, Yujin.” she added, softly.

 

The thought of loving someone and letting them go because you have to made you feel sad. Minjoo is right it can be considered as romantic but also really tragic.

 

“I get it,” you said, with a sigh “I can’t explain it in words but I get it” you added.

 

“It’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter