Chapter 6 - As a Friend

Part of Me (will always be yours)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Six

 

Every camper from the Hephaestus Cabin are busy doing their own things, when you entered Bunker 9. There are mini explosions everywhere, you saw Yena at the far right corner of the cave mixing powders.



"What are all these?" you said, when you approach her.

"Fireworks," Yena simply answered without throwing a glance at you.

"I can see that, the explosions gave it away Yena," you said, rolling your eyes "So, what I want to know is what for exactly?"

"For the fourth of July of course" she replied, giving you a look like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh! that's a thing here?" you said, scanning the contents of the table.



You never knew that the camp celebrates it, but well you're new so there are a lot of things you do not know.



"Yep!” she answered, popping the word out of her lips “I'm going to ask Yuri to watch fireworks with me" she added, smiling to herself.

"Tired of getting yourself killed and decided to ask the girl out in normal way," you said with a smirk "That's a character development, Yena" you added patting her shoulder to annoy her more.

"What are you talking about?" Yena answered, shrugging your hands off her shoulder.

"Come on now, stop acting like don't have a thing for Apollo cabin's main vocal" you said, teasing her more.

"Did Minjoo told you this?" she said, eyeing you suspiciously "That girl, we had a deal. I'm not going to finish her weapon. I swear to gods." she scoffs, walking towards another table

"I can't remember if she told me or maybe you are just too obvious, Yena" you answered, trying to protect Minjoo's integrity "Wait Minjoo ask you to make another weapon?" you added, confirming if you heard her correctly.

"Great job trying to defend her," Yena snickered "I don't know Yujin, why don't you ask her?" she continued, smirking at you.

"Right, I'll just ask her later" you muttered to yourself but Yena heard you.

"Wow! you two are really close, huh?" she commented arching her brow.

"You know that we hangout a lot, Yena" you said nonchalantly sitting on top of the working table "We're friends" you added with lip tight smile.

"Yeah, we're also friends but we never hangout almost every night after dinner ditching campfire and sing-a-long." she said continuously with teasing smile "You two only shows up when there's capture the flag. Minus that rare moment the other night, when you showed up for campfire but all you did was to giggle with each other. Have you seen the campers’ reaction?" she added, laughing.

"Their blatant stares are hard to miss, Yena" you replied

 

You tried to recall if you and Minjoo are that obvious the other night, you are certain that you are not too immerse on your own world during sing-a-long. Surely, Yena is just messing with you, or does she? Because you can't remember the events of sing-a-long except the moment concerning Minjoo.

In regards to what Yena said that you and Minjoo only shows up during capture the flag well she's right about that. Minjoo is too competitive to miss out capture the flag. Besides, Chiron will surely question you if you won't participate. Athena cabin and Aphrodite cabin are in the same group so naturally Minjoo will drag you to join every time.



"Hey you still there?" Yena said, waving her hand in front of your face "You, kind of zoned out, then suddenly smile like an idiot"

"What are you-"

"I'll take it that you are thinking about Ms. Head Counselor" she said, smirking.

"You and your imaginations" you answered, rolling your eyes to her.

"You didn't deny it though" Yena said, chuckling "Are you going to ask her to watch the fireworks with you?"

"Dude, she has girlfriend so the answer is clearly ‘NO’" you said, not even looking at her.

"So what?” Yena answered with a shrug “Chaewon is not even here. And we’re not sure if they are still together."

"What in Hades is wrong with you?" you said, turning to her "Even if her girlfriend is not here, it's not right, I am not like that! It doesn't sit right with me and I think even Minjoo will agree with me in that." you continued, annoyed at what she’s trying to imply but instead of arguing with you, Yena smirked.

"Chill Yujin," she said, holding up her hands "No need to get so worked up, I'm just testing you" she added

"Well, I supposed I passed your test" you answered, your voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Oh yeah, you totally did. Nailed it, dude" she said, smiling proudly at you "But still you should ask Minjoo as friends, no malice or anything unless..." she trailed off looking at you.

"Unless what?"

"Unless you like her and you wanted to ask her out for real," she said eyeing you "Do you like her?"

 

You stared at her, your mind blanked out because of her question. You ask yourself, do you like Minjoo? That strange feeling whenever she smiles, those butterflies in your stomach whenever she pats your head or wink at you, those moments that you find yourself staring at her, does it mean you like her. Do you really like Minjoo that way.



"I-" you started, trying to find the right words to say but you can't even think straight.

"Holy Hephaestus!" Yena said, dropping the tool she's holding "You are so screwed, Yujin"


Biting your lower lip, you look at her, slightly ashamed with the fact that you can't even answer her question. Or maybe you are ashamed that your friend found out that you’re crushing on your already in a relationship friend.


"Well, I can't really blame you." Yena said, patting you shoulder.

"I’m not even sure, Yena?" You replied, helplessly. “What should I do?”

"How in Hades will I know?! Look, I got myself injured just so I can spend time with the girl I like. I nearly died few times this past months just so she’ll take care of me," Yena replied, after minutes of thinking shaking her head. "Why don't you go ask Hyewon that girl is lovesick, maybe she can help" she added, with shrug

"And tell her that I think I like someone?!" You answered flabbergasted. You are not sure if you want other people to know about your crush on Ms. Head Counselor.


Yena was about to speak when some spoke behind you


"Like who?" Minjoo ask, looking at you and Yena "You like someone Yujinie?" she said, turning her eyes to you.


You turned to Yena, asking for help but she just shrugged and walked towards the nearby worktable smirking to herself, leaving you and Minjoo at that corner of the Bunker 9.


"You lost your tongue or something?" Minjoo asks again, standing close in front of you, too close for your liking "So, I guess you do like someone." she added, arching her brow

"What? I... " you started, trying to appear oblivious "No, I don't like someone, Minjoo" you finally said after taking a very deep breath.

Minjoo just eyed you may be thinking whether your lying or not. This girl is so intuitive, you are dead sure she sees through your lie, but she didn't press instead she smiled, a relieved smile which makes you wonder.


"If you say so," She said, smiling to herself.

"What are doing here?" You ask, your heart still beating like crazy.

"Looking for you, of course" she replied, like it’s the most obvious thing in the world "You forgot" she added, her brows furrowed.

"Forgot what?" You answered, scrunching your brow

"Minjoo, what brings you here?" Yena suddenly asks, reemerging from wherever she hid earlier.

"You saw me earlier, Yena" Minjoo said, taking a step backward creating a distance between you.

"I did, but then I don't feel like asking you earlier" Yena shrugged "So what brings you here?" she asks, again leaning her back against the table

"I'm looking for this kid," Minjoo said, gesturing towards you "to bid goodbye."

"Wait, you're leaving?!" you asked, shocked

"Yes, and if I remember correctly, I have already told you that last week." Minjoo replied, rolling her eyes at you.


Yena chuckled beside you. You looked at Minjoo trying to remember when she said that then the memory came back to you after minutes of thinking.


"For your final exams, right?" You finally remembered why she’s leaving camp.

"How long will you be gone, Minjoo?" Yena asks, the same question you have on your mind

"At least for a week" Minjoo shrugged “I’m not sure”

"Will you be back for the fourth of July fireworks?" Yena asks, again this time side eyeing you.

 

Minjoo fell silent, thinking or maybe trying to decipher why Yena is asking.


"Right the fireworks. I'll be back for that, hopefully" she said looking at Yena "We should watch the fireworks together, Yujin" she added, turning to you with her adorable smile.


You stared at her quite shock, clearly you didn't expect her to say those words. Yena just nodded then turned to you with her annoying smile.

 

"Sure,” You managed to say calmly “If that's what you want."

"I'll get going now," she said taking a step forward closing the gap between you and you leaned away instinctively. "Bye Yujin, don't miss me too much" she whispered looking straight to your eyes.

 

Those stormy gray eyes

 

She lightly pats your left cheek and let out a chuckle.

 

"As if," you answered when you recovered lightly shoving her hands "Take care of yourself Big Brain" you added, smiling fondly at her

 

Minjoo smiled and turned to Yena who's watching the two of you with great amusement and interest. She bid goodbye to Yena and left. You watched her retreating figure while smiling to yourself.

 

"She walked here just to bid you goodbye," Yena spoke beside you watching Minjoo exit the Bunker "You should have walked with her back to camp and up to Half Blood Hill." she added, turning to you

"I don't think I can walk after she ask me to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter