Chapter 16 - What in Hades

Part of Me (will always be yours)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Sixteen

"What is it that you want to talk about, Mother?" you asked, standing beside her just meters away from the Big House.

"Straightforward as always, dear" she simply said, her eyes fixated on the building studying every detail as if something was interesting about it.

"I just don't want to waste your time," you replied with a sigh "You're a goddess, and I have this notion that you guys are busy,"

Athena let out a chuckle at what you said causing you to turn your eyes on her. She has this small smile on her lips as her eyes shift toward the camp. The big house is located near the entrance of the camp so from where you’re standing you could see almost the entirety of the area.

“Is that so?” she said, her smile widens as her eyes briefly flickered in your direction, “It isn’t because of Yujin?”

Well, you’d be lying if you say that wasn’t part of the reason. You miss the girl and based on her action earlier it seems she’s finally ready to talk to you again. So, yeah you want this to be over so you could seek Yujin out and talk to her. Maybe hang out on the cliffside again if fate is on your side. But instead of saying anything you chose to keep quiet and followed your mother’s gaze.

"But yeah, you are right obviously I am a goddess," Athena started, nodding her head, "That means I can be in different places at the same time, wherever and whenever I want"

What a way to say that she’s not busy and that she has all the time she needs in her hands. But now that she mentioned it, that would explain why gods and goddesses have same-aged children. They can exist anywhere at any time they want. It never occurred to you that it could be the reason because you are your mother’s child. Athena vowed to be a maiden for all eternity, so she doesn’t get pregnant. So, all her children are literally a product of her mind, her brain children so yeah, she could produce as many children as she liked. Hence explains why most of her kids are of the same age. This brings a question to your head.

"Why did you choose eternal maidenhood, Mother" you can’t help but ask. It was random, the question just popped into your head.

"That's a nice question, child" she answered slightly tilting her head in your direction "It's simple, Love can either make you wise or fool" she continued looking at you "and I must say, you're a fool when it comes to that"

You immediately frown at her statement but you didn't say anything else

"That Hunter you are talking to earlier was actually right, it still fascinates me how some Aphrodite kids are so wise," she said shaking her head with a smile "People believe that love is all about emotions, that it is all about what your heart says but no it isn't, love is simply just… love,"

It makes your head hurt just thinking about it. It's so much easier to sit and solve mathematical equations than to think about what love really is. You used to think that love is an emotion, after all, it’s all about feeling right? It comes from the heart but now you are not sure anymore. Then here's your mother, the goddess of wisdom telling you that Love is simply just love. She said she will help you clear your mind but hearing all these you think that your mind might go haywire because of the words she's saying.

"I don't get it," you said, rubbing your forehead in exhaustion. No, you are not physically tired but your mind is, you are tired of thinking. How you wish there was a way to just shut your brain.

"The book that you borrowed from Yujin," she started you turned to your mother and her eyes were still gazing at the camp. "It’s all in that book, Minjoo. As I said, Love isn't just an emotion, it is a combination of thoughts and feelings. The ideas that formed in your head are the match that ignites the fire in your heart” she explains, tilting her head toward your direction and smiling upon seeing your confused reaction.

Athena probably enjoys seeing you confused. After all, gods and goddesses enjoy talking to their kids in a way that would make them think, especially your mother. You chewed on your lower lip as you contemplate her words, It isn’t like you don’t get it, you do just not totally. You understand the gist of it; it is simple but at the same time hard to explain. The thought is there floating in your mind but you can’t put it into words. So you just stayed silent instead of saying anything.

“Being my daughter doesn’t mean that you have to rely on your mind at all times,” Athena said after a few minutes of silence. You look up and she’s smiling at you, a motherly smile “For the past months, I’ve watched you follow your heart not minding anything and you did fine, you were happy and living in the moment. Then you started to reason out with yourself, rationalizing your emotions instead of feeling them. Now here you are, confused and lost and not to mention hurt”

“Are you also going to tell me to make up my mind and choose?” you replied, your voice sounding harsher than you intended it to be. Your friends have been telling you to choose and you are so close to losing it, and just telling them to mind their own damn business cause it isn’t as easy as they think it is.

“Of course not!” Athena exclaimed, your burrows furrowed at her answer. “You already made a choice, child. What I want you to do is to be brave and stop being afraid of the uncertainties. Take a leap of faith. Take a risk, Minjoo” she added, putting her hand on your shoulder and smiling fondly at you.

You bit your lower lip as you dragged your eyes from her and think about it, making a choice. But then what if you make one and end up choosing the wrong one? How do you even know you’re making the right choice?

“What if I make the wrong choice, Mother?” you ask weakly without looking at her

Athena didn’t answer right away, so you turn your head to see if she was still there or if you were talking to the air. Thank gods she is still with you, her eyes watching you closely and you could see a hint of sympathy in her eyes.

“I am the goddess of Wisdom,” She said, smiling softly at you. “But I know that when it comes to the matter of the heart, there’s no right or wrong. They are all just choices that will help you see life and love from different perspectives. Choices that will help you grow. So, there’s nothing to be afraid of, child”

Athena is still smiling fondly at you as she reached her hand out to your hair, fixing the stray strands that block your face, that motherly smile is still plastered on her face and you gotta admit it warms your heart, receiving this simple act of affection from your mother, not every demi-god get to experience it.

“You are terrified,” She said again, “It’s normal to be afraid, I would be bothered if you aren’t. What’s not normal is for you to let that fear steal the happiness and love that you could possibly have, the love that you deserve. Don’t let your fear stop you from having the things you wished for, daughter” she added, resting her hand on your shoulder.

She’s right with that one, you are afraid. You are so terrified of what could happen and of things that may not happen if you’ll let your fears stop you. It feels like you are suspended in the air, paralyzed, unable to move and decide. Cause you know that for every action there will be an equal and opposite reaction. And maybe deep inside that is what you’re afraid of, to face and deal with those reactions.

“I know you are having a hard time with your love life right now,” Athena said again when you didn’t say anything “But that’s not the only reason I came here”. You look up and she’s back to her stoic demeanor. Her hands are on her back and now she’s looking at the strawberry fields watching the nymphs and satyrs do their thing.

“I’m here to give you an offer,” she continued throwing a quick glance in your direction. “A task, rather because I won’t be accepting a no for this one. Especially from you, as your mother, I know this opportunity will be beneficial to you. I want you to take it”

“What is it?” you curiously asked. You are not sure why, but your intuition tells you that you wouldn’t like what she’s about to say, and your mother already made it clear that she wouldn’t be accepting no for an answer. Plus, you never imagine disappointing your mother.

+++

Athena said she visited you, to help you because you've been acting unwise. She said she will help you clear your mind. Not everyone has the privilege of being advised by the goddess of wisdom herself. Indeed, being her daughter has its perks. So, you have this perception that once your talk with your mom is done, you will be enlightened and level-headed once again. Back to the fully functional Kim Minjoo.

But then your conversation already ended hours ago, Athena had already left but you are still here sitting in the middle of the strawberry fields. Trying to sort your haywire thoughts, you somehow forgot that gods and goddesses are not the types who give straightforward answers and solutions. And your mother isn't an exception, more of she is the epitome of providing confusing answers. She wants you to think and decide for yourself, and then when you’re finally sure what choice you’re going to make she puts you in a situation where you’d have to question yourself again, whether you made the right choice or not.

Though you’d be lying if you say that you weren’t comforted by her motherly advice earlier, it honestly feels nice. And her task for you just shows how much she trusts and believes in your capabilities. Not everyone gets an opportunity like that plus it’s one of your dreams, it’s been your goal for years now. There are just so many things going on in your head right now. You took a deep breath and decided to focus on that part of the conversation, it’s the brighter side. You smiled at yourself and excitedly walked back towards the direction of the camp. It's already dinner time so you went directly to the dining pavilion.

There might be a lot going on inside your head but for now, those are not enough to hold you back from being this happy and excited. You are so happy that you are half jumping and half running. The campers are giving you strange looks but you just beam at them in return. You entered the dining Pavilion and were busy scanning the place looking for a certain girl. You can't wait to tell her the great news that your mother told you when you felt someone put their arm around your shoulder.

You turned your head towards their direction and were welcomed by Chaewon's annoying face, a smile immediately broke into your lips when you saw that it was her, she was actually the one you are looking for.

"Who are you looking for?" she asks raising her brow

"I did it!" you said both your hands on her shoulder. She scrunched her brow and gave you a questioning look "My Mom! She asked me to design and lead the construction of a building in Mount Olympus" you said smiling widely

Chaewon's mouth drop open the moment she understood what you were saying

"Say something, Chae," you said still holding her shoulder, shaking her a bit “I’ll be moving to Mt. Olympus!”

“You what?!” she said, her eyes wide. You rolled your eyes at her, you forgot just how slow Chaewon is sometimes.

“I said-”

“Oh my gods!” she said engulfing you in a hug “I'm so proud of you, Min” she added, jumping while still hugging you

You smiled and jumped with her. Ever since you became friends, you've been telling her how much you want to design a building for Mount Olympus. You look up to Annabeth Chase and she once led the renovation in Olympus after the 2nd war with the Titans there. You just can't believe how your mother trusted you with such a task.

“You're blocking the way,” you heard someone from behind you say, causing you to pull away from Chaewon. You cannot contain just how happy you are so, you turned to face the person still grinning, and upon seeing her, your smile grew wider.

“Yujin!” you exclaimed beaming at her but it slowly fell when she just glared at you before walking to Cabin 10's table. Your eyes followed her until she was seated and just like that, you don't feel giddy anymore. You even lost your appetite.

“What's her problem?” Chaewon asked, standing beside you.

You are still staring at the back of Yujin's head, biting your lower lip. You also wanted to tell her your great news but it seems she still doesn’t want you near her. You took a deep sigh and turned to Chaewon, “I have no idea”

With your mother’s task, this situation with Yujin and Chaewon gets more complicated than it already is. But then according to your friends, it was never complicated, it was you who had been creating a mountain out of a molehill all along. Maybe they are right and you know you’re about to make this harder for yourself. Maybe moving to Mt. Olympus is the answer all along. You could just leave everything and everyone here. Maybe that’s the answer, running away.

+++

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter