Chapter 1 - The Romans

Part of Me (will always be yours)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter One

 

Minjoo POV

Letting out a contented sigh, you marvel at the beautiful sight in front of you, the sun setting slowly, painting the sky with different hues of orange. You shiver when a breeze blows from the sea, internally scolding yourself for not wearing warmer clothes. The climate inside the camp is controlled by magic. Still, the spring season is approaching, which explains why the breeze is a bit chilly. Plus, you decided to spend your time on the top of the cliff overlooking the Long Island Sound.

It has been 6 years since you started the camp, yet you discovered this spot just months ago when you and Chaewon had a fight. It was an intense fight that you broke out crying. Unable to face her, you decided to get away from her; your feet brought you here. You immediately felt sad at the thought of her. You miss her and how you wished you are together right now, but Chaewon isn't here. She doesn't want to be in here, and she made that perfectly clear to you. Your train of thought was cut off when someone emerged from the woods and called your name.

 

"Minjoo!"

 

You turned your head towards the source of the voice and found Yena approaching. Besides you, Yena is the only camper who knows that this place exists. How? You don't know; maybe this place is her safe haven too. Away from the other camper's prying eyes but not too far away from the camp's protection.

 

"Chiron is looking for you," Yena said, stopping in front of you or more of at your back since you are still sitting cross-legged facing the Long Island Sound. You stood up and took another deep breath before facing Yena.

 

"Did he mentioned why?" you still ask, even though you already know why

 

"The campers from Camp Jupiter just arrived" she shrugged

 

The two of you walked towards the Big House, a four-storey house that serves as the Camp Director's office. Dionysus used to be the camp director as punishment for doing something that pissed off Zeus. But after the second war with giants, Mr. D never returned, so Chiron, the immortal centaur, took his place.

 

"You miss Chaewon," Yena said after minutes of walking in silence

 

"Of course," You simply said, it is pretty obvious that you miss her. She left just last night, but you already miss her.

 

"You should have gone with her, you know."

 

"I want to, but then you know why I turned it down, right?"

 

"I still can't understand why they still look at a child of Athena with resentment," Yena said, shaking her head. "It has been decades since the battle with giants, and I thought with that huge statue standing at Half-Blood Hill, the rift between the Romans and Greeks have been healed or fixed, and yet those Romans-"

 

"Yet they still see a child of Athena as an abomination or something?" you said cutting your friend off, quirking your brow at her

 

"No, at least they have the decency of refraining their selves from calling you an abomination," Yena scoffs. "What I mean is, they still think that children of Athena don’t deserve rights or something," she sighed

 

You can't help but chuckle at your friend's frustration, even if it doesn't necessarily concern her.

 

"You know why they have that perception, Yena" you said, stopping at the front porch of the Big House. You turned to your friend, who also stopped from entering the building. "The Parthenos of Athena indeed fixed the long-standing rift between Romans and Greeks, but it never fixed the perception of the two camps between the Roman and Greek forms of gods and goddesses. My mom's roman form is Minerva, and she's a maiden like Diana or, as we Greeks call her, Artemis. So my mom having a child freaks the Romans out" you explained

 

"That puts you in your situation right now," Yena said, shaking her head "and for the record, I know the history Minjoo, so you can stop educating me."

 

"What can I do? My mom is the goddess of wisdom, so of course, I would be compelled to give you information and facts," you said, with a laugh

 

"Whatever, Nerd" she replied, shoving you aside so that she can enter the Big House first

 

You shake your head and chuckled before walking inside

 

"Finally," Chiron said when you walked in

 

You just frowned at him and instead turned your attention to his companions

 

"Hi, I'm Kim Minjoo," you said introducing yourself with a smile "daughter of Athena" you watch their reactions; as expected, they seemed taken aback. You get that a lot whenever you introduce yourself to Romans.

 

"Daughter of Minerva?" one of the girls asked with her brows slightly furrowed. She has long hair with ash gray highlights. It suits her.

 

"Yes," you answered, eyeing her "Is there a problem with that?"

 

"No! of course, none" she immediately replied, shaking her head. "I just thought for a moment that you are Venus' daughter" she said shyly.

 

Oh. You fight the urge to smile at her comment

 

"That was smooth," Yena commented, smirking at you "I'm Yena, Daughter of Hephaestus" she said introducing herself.

 

"I'm Wonyoung, Daughter of Apollo" the girl with the long black hair and sparkly eyes said, smiling sweetly.

 

"Hitomi, daughter of Ceres" said the girl with blonde hair and cute chubby cheeks.

 

Daughter of Demeter, she looks so soft and squishy like a peach.

 

"And I am Ahn Yujin, daughter of Venus" said the girl who mistook you as Venus daughter.

 

"That explains the smooth remarks earlier" Yena said, chuckling.

 

"You thought that we are sisters then" you said, amusement evident in your voice.

 

Yujin blushed, and you can't help but smile at how adorable she is. Hitomi and Yena chuckled, while Wonyoung eyes Yujin with a not-so-subtle frown.

 

Chiron cleared his throat, for a moment you forgot that the camp director is with you.

 

"It seems that you took the liberty to be acquainted with each other," he commented smiling "but let me introduce you formally"

 

"Demigods, this is Minjoo as she said earlier, she's a daughter of Athena and also the Head Counselor of Camp Half-Blood," he said gesturing towards you "and this is Yena, daughter of Hephaestus, and Counselor of Cabin 9"

 

You watch as the three girls knit their brows, confused on what Chiron is talking about. You remember reading how Roman and Greek camps differ, so you can't really blame them if they are confused right now.

 

"And this is Yujin, Wonyoung and Hitomi the exchanged campers from Camp Jupiter" Chiron said.

 

"Welcome to Camp Half Blood" you said smiling at the three Roman girls.

 

"I suppose that you three have a lot of questions to ask, considering the evident confusion etched on your faces" Chiron said to the three Romans who just nod at him.

 

"There's still time before dinner, Minjoo here can help you with your questions. So, I will leave you for now" Chiron said before turning towards his office.

 

That old horse.

 

You scoff at how he didn't even bother to ask you if you are in the mood to answer questions right now.

 

"That old man really likes to pass his responsibilities to his favorite student," Yena said, patting your shoulder which you shrugged off.

 

"Let's go," you said standing up "we'll give you a quick tour”.

 

The three Romans followed you as you walk out of the Big House.

 

"Hate to burst your bubble Minjoo, but I have a prior meeting before dinner," Yena said before running off towards the forest "ciao~."

 

"Where is she going?" Wonyoung ask watching as Yena's figure disappear between the trees.

 

"At the Bunker 9, probably. I bet she's off to build something again." You answered with a shrug "Let's go, I'll show you around here."

 

"What is Bunker 9?" Hitomi ask while you are walking.

 

You thought for a minute before answering her question.

 

"Bunker 9 is a workshop, used by Cabin 9 since it belongs to their father," you replied thinking of how to explain it as brief as possible so they can easily remember it "Bunker 9 was discovered by Leo Valdez, one of the seven who fought Gaea and her giants."

 

"The one who fired at the New Rome that spark the war between Camp Half-Blood and Camp Jupiter" Wonyoung interjected.

 

"And the one who rescued Calypso from Ogygia Island after defeating Mother Earth" Hitomi said, nodding her head.

 

You nodded at their comments, amuse that they are well aware of the history though you wonder why Yujin didn't give her opinion, instead she just observes and busy herself by looking around.

 

"So anyways, Leo discovered it and they've been using that bunker ever since, when they have new projects or when Yena wants to be alone" you said stopping at the front of the strawberry fields.

 

You pointed out the Pegasi stables near the fields also the nymphs who are busy playing at the strawberry field. As the four of you walk towards the cabins, the few campers stopped and greeted you, you also introduced your companions to them. You passed the Armory also the Forge finally you arrived at the Cabins.

 

"And this is the cabins where the camper sleeps" you simply said.

 

"I've been meaning to ask since Chiron mentioned the cabins earlier," Yujin said, this is the first time she spoke after the introductions earlier. "Why is there so many cabins here?" she asks curiously.

 

"Well, the initial number of cabins here at Camp Half Blood was 12. For the 12 Olympian gods and it was arr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter