One Year Later

Smiling Stars

After Sunghee's departure, DSP has decided to just add two new members. Auditions took place not long after the announcement. The three original KARA members were there to observe and give their opinions on the aspiring girls. However only two stood out from the rest. A doll-like girl named Hara and a middle schooler Jiyoung. The company then started gearing up for a comeback as a 5 member KARA.

In the midst of it all, Seungyeon got the opportunity to host MNET's SSGB as a replacement for the outgoing host Tiffany of Girls' Generation. Except for a few guest appearances where KARA barely gets any air time, this was all they've got. She gratefuly accepted the job despite the backlash from Tiffany's fans.

It's been a year since their debut, a year full of sleepless nights, disappointments, tears and yearning for her bestfriend whom she haven't seen for what seemed to be forever. Almost a year without Onew. She hasn't heard anything from him since they last saw each other at the hospital. Looking back she regretted of ever letting him go without the assurance of ever meeting again. If it wasn't for her other members' gossiping about SME's new boy group, she would've stayed ignorant about his debut.

"Who?" she asked Nicole.

"SHINee....I think. That's what Hyoyeon told me", unmindful Nicole informed her.

"No..I mean the members' names". She thought she heard her say Jinki's name. She gave herself the benifit of doubt. How many SME trainees named Jinki could there be?

"I don't remember all their names. Hyoyeon only talks about this guy named Jinki", confused like she always is, Nicole continued, "I think he's her boyfriend, she never stops talking about him...like how sweet he is and his angelic smile". She continued on and on without noticing Seungyeon's shocked expression.

"Oh..And they always walk home together after practice too...isn't that......." when Nicole looked back to Seungyeon's direction she was already gone.

Seungyeon's heart fell. Hard. Was she being replaced? She locked herself in the bathroom pretending to be taking a shower. She stood there as steam started to cover her reflection from the mirror. She cried her heart out.

-------------------------------------------------

♫ ♫ Noona Neomu Yeppeo....Replay Replay Replay ♫ ♫

SHINee's debut performance was a success. Despite being rookies they've managed to gather a decent amount of fans to the recording, which was somewhat expected from a group who is under the management of the biggest entertainement company in South Korea.

"Noona will buy you meat!", a scream let off as the boys left the SBS building for their next schedule.

The boys just smiled, bowed and continued walking. The majority of their fanclub members are noonas who are willing to do anything for them. Kinda creepy but it's not something within their control.

Two months prior their debut, SHINee, namely Onew, Jonghyun, Kibum, Minho and maknae Taemin were given their debut song.

"Noona is pretty", instantly Onew thought of one noona in mind. Seungyeon. "But she hates it whenever I call her noona", he thought. Onew smiled at the idea.

"Why are you smiling? It's creepy", Kibum frankly asked.

"Nothing.." they would never get him anyways so why bother explaining?

The boys were then gathered to discuss whether they would want to use a stage name.

"Oh..me! me!", Kibum raised his hand.

"Ah Yes...We also have a Kim Kibum on Super Junior, you definitely need one", SME's CEO said. "Do you have one in mind?".

"Key!",

"Key? Not bad. We'll go with that.", they agreed.

"Minho, Taemin and Jonghyun........I think yours are pretty safe but Jinki-goon", the CEO's face changed.

"Ahh me?", Jinki doesn't want to change his name. His parents especially picked that name for him. It's special, but he was in no position to oppose.

"Personally, Jinki sounds like an ajusshi in his 30's. Let's change it..yes?", What the CEO says, he must follow.

Then an idea came to mind.

"My bestfriend gave me this nickname....I'm not sure if it's appropriate though" he trailed off.

"Let's hear it."

"Onew......"

"Genius!", their CEO exclaimed. "Onew it is."

And that's how he got his stage name.

___________________________________________________________

It was only a week before Seungyeon's birthday. Her parents wanted to throw her a small party but she thought it wasn't necessary and told them that she was scheduled to do SSGB anyways.

The day before the recording, the writer sent her the script for tomorrow's show. She collapsed on the couch after reading the first line on the second paragraph.

"SHINee....What?" unconsciously saying it out loud.

Hara was in the other room when she heard Seungyeon. She hurridly ran up to her asking if she was okay.

"No I'm not okay! I'm gonna meet my estranged best friend whom I haven't seen in a year for heaven's sake!", she screamed in her head.

"I'm okay don't worry", she chose to tell her a safe answer. "Just a little tired."

"Unnie...what about SHINee?", with her big piercing eyes, she asked.

"They are going to be the guest on tomorrow's show", a wry smile covered her face.

"Really?" Sometimes Hara seem to forget that she is also a celebrity and let her fangirl insticts take over. She still get star strucked after seeing SS501 oppas at the hallways of DSP. It's only a matter of time.

"Uhuh....SHINee". Seungyeon is about to burst. She has absolutely no idea how she'll act towards him.

Act as if they were strangers?

Or be all happy to see him again after all this time?

She didn't get any sleep that night. She was occupied with thoughts of him. The idea of them reuniting.

___________________________________________________________

Onew remembers. He knew it was her birthday. He woke uttering the words 'Happy Birthday Han Seungyeon'. As he prepared for another day ahead, he let out a heavy sigh. "I want to see you. I want to personally greet you a happy birthday. I failed to that last year and I want to make it up to you."

SHINee's meeting with MNET about their new reality show ended. Onew and Taemin were directly ushered to the fifth floor where SSGB is being filmed.

"Hyung, where are we going?", little Taemin asked their manager.

"You are scheduled to appear on SSGB, just an interview....you guys know the drill" he explained.

"What? SSGB?", Onew's face lit up but immediately stiffened as he didn't know what to do with this unexpected reunion.