Rat

When Blood Meets Silver

"What other info did you manage to get?" Vivi asked.

The girls were back at Vivi's office the next afternoon, a few hours before nightfall to discuss the plan.

"They're all back to the main hideout," Jungeun said. "Yeonjun found out that today, Jaebum and Jinyoung, the leader and his right arm, will have a meeting with some other higher ranks of the Alliance. It will happen in the main building, the third level."

Vivi tapped her chin. "What about all the other vampires?"

"Probably doing their own thing. Out for feeding, turning more people, training. I imagine they're investing on that front, judging from the losses they took."

"We should target Jaebum and Jinyoung," Hyunjin said. "If we know where they are, we should go straight to them."

"I agree." Vivi nodded. "Without their leaders, they will be more disorganized, and thus, weaker."

"But, how are we gonna manage to get closer without them noticing us? They're all vampires, they will sense us even before we approach the buildings," Chaewon asked.

"That's correct. But more people will be in the building, it's hard to find and sense new scents if you're surrounded with familiar ones," Hyunjin said.

"But they still would know if we, plus all of the Silver Blades try to sneak in," Heejin said. "It's useless knowing they will be there if we can't get to them before they have a chance to escape."

"Not if only a few of us infiltrate," Yves said, all eyes on her.

"Have an idea already?" Vivi smiled.

"Hyunjin, Heejin, Jiwoo, Jungeun." Yves turned to them. "You're fast and strong. You could go in and infiltrate, head to that room as fast as you can so they don't have much time if they detect you. The rest of us and the slayers will be waiting far outside, as scattered as we can, and we will do our best to conceal our scents. We can agree on a signal that lets us know we can step in."

"Wait." Hyunjin raised a hand. "You want us to go straight to them and kill them?"

"Isn't that the purpose? Focusing on the leader."

"I think it's a good idea. If anything goes wrong or if they manage to get away in time, we'll be heading toward the building already so we can look for them," Vivi said.

"I'll be by your side, Vivi," Yves said. "Hyejoo, will you be with me?"

Hyunjin eyed Hyejoo. The girl met Yves' eyes and nodded. "I will."

"What about me?" Chaewon frowned.

Vivi and Yves already knew she was a vampire now, it was the first thing they noticed when they arrived - that her hand was fully recovered and she wasn't hiding it anymore. Yves didn't have the same reaction as when she learned Heejin was one. This time, she listened to the reasoning, acknowledged and accepted it without any question.

"We have something in mind for you, Chaewon, and we believe you're going to like it."

The meeting was over, and now it was time to present the plan to the entirety of the Silver Blades. Hyunjin trembled from head to toe as she stood with the others behind Vivi on the big stage, with the eyes of countless slayers at them. Some frowned and had their arms crossed at their chests, clearly annoyed and not having any of what Vivi was saying. Others paid close attention, smiling as Vivi spoke about the plan.

"Here with us today, we have three of your older colleagues and friends. Heejin, Hyejoo, and Chaewon will fight by our side again, but this time, as vampires."

Whispers and gasps and talks erupted between the crowd. Hyunjin forced her eyes not to roll, clenching her fists instead.

"Let's all put out differences aside," Vivi spoke into the mic, louder this time, shutting the murmurs away. "They're still slayers. They never stopped wanting to hunt vampires. But just like they learned that being a vampire doesn't mean being evil, so will we."

Hyunjin's heart beat stronger. Did she hear it correctly?

"It was because of these vampires that we could defend ourselves when we were attacked by our real enemies. They may be vampires, but they want exactly the same as we do - to fight off our common enemy, to end the Blood Alliance once and for all!"

For a few seconds, the hall fell in a dreadful silence. But someone let out a loud cheer, encouraging the others to do the same. But among the cheers, Hyunjin could still hear some boos.

"How can we really trust them?" someone shouted from the back.

"Weren't two of them from the Blood Alliance?" someone else asked. "They can pretty much be spies!"

Hyunjin clenched her jaw at the chaos installing between the slayers, some agreeing, others fighting off with logic arguments. Vivi raised her hands, and silence installed again.

"Spies that risked their lives in coming here to warn us against their own attack at us?" Vivi asked.

Jiwoo and Jungeun had their heads lowered, cowered in fear, igniting a pulse of anger in Hyunjin's veins. She wouldn't let them be defeated by ungrateful words.

Taking a couple steps forward, Hyunjin laid a hand on Vivi's shoulder, making her turn.

"Can I say a few words?" Hyunjin asked.

Vivi smiled at her and nodded, stepping aside. Gulping, Hyunjin stood before the mic, under their judgmental eyes, and she didn't remember the last time she had been this intimidated. She closed her eyes for a second, and opened them yellow, causing some slayers to back away.

"Give me one plausible, logical reason why I, as a vampire, or any of the others would be standing here, when any of you could so easily kill us, if we weren't on your side," she said into the mic, projecting as much confidence as she could, at least managing for her own voice not to quiver.

No one said a word. Some lowered their heads, some shared confused looks.

"I've been hunting vampires ever since I was turned, forty seven years ago. I understand why you fear vampires. It's only logical, they hunt humans down and feed on them. But it's not merely because they are vampires. It's because they're bad people, it's because they take advantage of their own strength and abilities for that. But if you only know those vampires, it's understandable you would think all are like that. But we are not. There are lots of vampires living normal lives, but how would you know about them, if they don't hunt humans?"

Silence again.

"Hyejoo never asked to be a vampire. Heejin never asked to be a vampire. Are they different because they're vampires? They're the same amazing people you know, but stronger!" Hyunjin continued, her voice becoming louder and much more confident, and her hands gripping on the mic table. "Are they using their new strength and powers to hunt innocent people down to feed on them? No, they're using it to hunt down the vampires that need to be hunted down! So, as Vivi said, let's put our differences aside and fight our common enemy tonight, together."

"Yeah!" Someone cheered at the front, and more cheers and battles cries emerged from the crowd.

Hyunjin observed the applauses, her body relaxing with the genuine cheers for her. A hand on her shoulder this time, as Vivi wanted to say something else.

"Thank you," Hyunjin mumbled into the mic, awkwardly making her exit to the back.

"Splendid discourse from Hyunjin, and I agree one hundred percent with everything," Vivi said. "I just want to say something else before we can go start preparing for our battle. If anyone here still doesn't agree and don't want to fight alongside them, I will politely ask you to leave. They are the reason we are even able to launch an attack with confidence tonight, and this lack of gratitude is not compatible with the values of the Silver Blades."

Hyunjin widened her eyes, quickly glancing at the girls, all of them having the same reaction.

"I don't want enemies building amongst ourselves that could possibly compromise our plan and our fight. So, if any of you is against it, you won't be fighting tonight, and can leave the room."

The majority of the crowd stayed still, looking back at Vivi. But when the first person mumbled something between his teeth and turned to leave the room, some more followed. A total of about twelve people left, earning judgmental looks from other slayers.

"Thank you everyone for standing by what's right. Go start preparing and have dinner. We'll leave afterwards. Dismissed."

Slowly, the slayers started leaving the hall, as Vivi turned to them.

"And if you will accompany me, we still have some preparations to do as well."

With nods, they followed Vivi outside, wherever she wanted to take them. But they barely took a few steps out the hall when a voice boomed and made them stop.

"Heejin!"

They all turned to the call, and the second they found the three girls standing a few meters away in the hallway waving at Heejin, she dashed to them, arms wide open to engulf the three into a hug. Chaewon and Hyejoo joined them as well.

"Yeji!" Heejin cupped the girl's cheeks, puffing them and turning her already slender eyes even smaller. "Are you okay? Yerim said you were hurt in the fight."

Hyunjin didn't have to make much of an effort to hear them.

"I'm fine, I'm fine! My leg was hurt, but I recovered already and I'm ready for another round!" Yeji said, beaming at her. "What about you three? I missed you guys."

"We missed you too," Hyejoo said, as another one of them, with such a sweet expression and cute, perky ears, took a closer look at her face. "Thank you for staying by our side."

"You're still you, no matter what." The girl hugged her. "We thought a lot about everything ever since you were turned. This really opened our eyes."

"We're glad to hear that, it means a lot to us," Heejin said and suddenly looked back, as if remembering she was supposed to go somewhere. "Sorry, we need to go now. If we don't meet again until later, please be safe."

"You too," Yeji said. "And let's catch up after everything!"

"That's a promise."

They joined them again, quickly bowing to Vivi. "Apologies."

"That's okay, I know you haven't seen each other for some time. Now let's go, follow me." Vivi led the way.

"That was Yeji, Jisu, and Chaeryeong, right?" Hyunjin asked, walking beside Heejin.

"Yeah, our friends. I'm so glad they're okay."

Up the elevator a few levels they went, following Vivi and Yves through the corridor to the right side, then inside a big room, where shelves filled the walls.

"Wow," Jiwoo breathed, taking a look around.

Weapons of all kinds were on display on the shelves, from swords, to knuckles, to guns, to heavy weaponry. So, Hyunjin wasn't the only one using a gun.

"Jiwoo, Jungeun." Vivi turned to them. "You don't have any silver weapons, do you?"

"We don't." Jungeun shook her head.

"Then go ahead, pick something you like. Consider it a gift from us."

It felt like Christmas had arrived earlier by how Jiwoo's eyes sparkled as she took a closer look at the weapons.

"Hyunjin, you only have a gun, right?" Vivi asked her, stealing her attention from the swords in display.

"Yes."

"Then have this as well." Vivi extended her hand.

Hyunjin observed the knife she held before accepting it and holding the wood handle. She removed the scabbard and turned it, taking a look at the sharp silver blade.

"If you need to fight close range, it's always better to have another option."

"Thank you so much." Hyunjin bowed. "I'll use it well."

"Be careful not to hurt yourself, it's very sharp. Hide it in your boots or something so they don't expect you to have it."

Following the advice, Hyunjin squatted and stuck the knife in her right boot, hiding the top with her jeans.

"Since we're both close range fighters, I think we'll both go with silver knuckles, like Hyejoo," Jungeun said, trying a couple pairs in her hands.

"This is so cool!" Jiwoo squealed, punching the air ahead with hers. "Watch me become the one punch woman!"

Jungeun cringed, almost facepalming, but Heejin couldn't hold back a laugh.

"Chaewon. As for you..." Yves turned from the furthest wall, all eyes widening with what she carried in her hands as she made her way back. "This is what I have in mind. It will take some getting used to, but I think it will suit you perfectly."

"That's the room," Jungeun said, pointing at the distance. "Third floor, big window with the shattered glass."

Hyunjin's yellow eyes squinted through the foliage. She could see the tall, clearly abandoned building, the color all faded from the sun and most of the windows either broken or completely missing. The room was hard to miss, exactly like Jungeun had just described.

"Should we go?" Heejin asked.

Their squad, the one going first and infiltrating the Blood Alliance's headquarters was ready and in position.

"I think we should wait and make sure they're in the room. Sprinting, I think we will only take around thirty seconds to get there," Jiwoo said. "Should we jump straight in there through the window or go from the inside?"

"It's faster and easier to jump, but we lose the element of surprise." Heejin bit her lip "Also, I don't think I can jump three stories yet."

"Is there any entrance from the back?" Hyunjin asked.

"Yes, probably guarded," Jungeun said. "But going from the inside takes longer, and they'll probably hear us before we can get there."

Both options seemed good but also flawed in their own ways. Hyunjin tapped her foot in the soft grass, trying to pinpoint which would be best-

"They're there!" Jiwoo said.

Several people filled the room, but Hyunjin couldn't distinguish anyone, nor their scents.

"Is Jaebum there?"

"Must be, but there's too many to tell. , can we fight all of them?" Jungeun clenched her fist.

Hyunjin looked up at the sky. The moon was still nowhere to be seen, but she prayed to her Goddess for everything to go well.

"We're stronger than them, and have weapons they don't. Let's go, we're jumping. Follow me," Hyunjin said just before dashing.

"Wait!" Heejin said. "I don't know if-"

"You can do it!"

As fast as she could, Hyunjin ran towards the building, taking her gun from her pocket as she approached. Just a couple meters from the wall, she jumped, the impact so strong her feet marked the ground where she propelled herself up. Reaching the glassless window, she grabbed the window frame and threw her body inside, rolling forward as she hit the ground.

Staying low on one knee, she raised her gun, read to shoot, when the others got to her side.

About twenty vampires were in the room, all turned at them, not a sign of surprise or fear in their eyes. Instead, all of them had their eyes activated, and Hyunjin knew she recognized one at the front. He grabbed the boy standing beside him by the arm, getting behind him and raising a knife near his neck.

"Y-Yeonjun!" Jungeun gasped. "Let him go, Youngjae!"

Youngjae... one of the vampires that held Hyunjin when Jinyoung turned Heejin. Terror flashed in Yeonjun's features, his eyes big, but he shook his head.

"Lower your weapons," Youngjae said. "And I just might decide not kill the rat right here, right now."

---

A/N: OOPS---

OKAY THERE'S A BIG FIGHT COMING UP ON THE NEXT CHAPTER, GUESS WHO'S FIGHTING WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic
Ko-Fi -  ko-fi.com/itzloonatic