You’re not evil

When Blood Meets Silver

Her eyes met Heejin again. Her feelings for Heejin...

"Like I said, she's a friend."

Yeojin shook her head, slowly, her eyes clearly judging her. "Don't come tell me I didn't warn you."

Heejin stood up, bowing once again at Haseul.

"You're done?" Chaewon asked. "Wasn't it awful?!"

"Not really."

Hyejoo snorted, and Chaewon sulked on the couch.

"Yeojin, let's go," Haseul said, standing up as well.

"Wait, before you go, I have something to say," Hyunjin said, everyone looking at her now. "We still don't know what we really are facing, but I think we all know the Blood Alliance is dangerous. And if we're serious about this, we need to make sure we can stand up to them, that we are better than them, in every sense. So, starting tomorrow, I'll be training you. Yeojin included."

"What?" Haseul dropped her chin. "Why would Yeojin need any of that? She's not fighting anything!"

"She's not, but she asked me directly. She's a vampire, she has abilities you don't. It's only normal and fair for her if she wants to be able to control them."

Yeojin nodded, and Haseul scoffed. "You out of your mind, Yeojin?"

"No. I want this, and also, I'm a vampire. I'm bound to be hunted, and if that happens, I want to make sure I can protect myself, and you, if needed."

Haseul opened , probably to fight the argument, but she sighed instead. "Fine."

"Thank you, Haseul." Hyunjin bowed. "I'll take good care of her."

"I don't doubt that, you've always been all this time. I just hope she doesn't give you a hard time."

"She already does."

"Hey!" Yeojin frowned, making everyone laugh.

"Let me go get you blood before you go." Hyunjin stood up and head to the kitchen, coming back with a box and handing it to Haseul.

"Yeojin, we have to get you to school," Haseul said.

Yeojin ran to hug Hyunjin again, thanking her. Everyone stood up to bid their goodbyes.

"Thank you again for your help," Heejin said, bowing once again, now with Hyejoo and Chaewon.

"I'm happy to help. The chips are destroyed, so please, stay safe, everyone."

"Tomorrow’s Saturday, you don’t have classes, so come and join us," Hyunjin told Yeojin as she pulled away and joined Haseul to leave.

"I will!"

"I'll get going as well, but as I said, I'll be back later, and I'll bring dinner, now for Chaewon as well," Jinsol said. "Call me if you need something."

The three girls left, leaving the others alone, in silence, in the living room.

"So early in the morning, and so much has happened already!" Jiwoo said. "What are we supposed to do now?"

Hyunjin dropped to her armchair again. "Whatever you want. Yesterday was a hard day for everyone, take the day to rest."

"Are we all supposed to... stay here?" Hyejoo asked, all eyes on Hyunjin again.

"What other options do we have?" she sighed. "We'll take care of that later, don't worry, I'm sure there's enough space for everyone."

"I'm gonna take a walk, anyone wanna join?" Jiwoo stood up.

"I'll go with you." Jungeun followed.

"Wait, let's exchange our numbers, so we can always keep in contact if needed." Hyunjin fetched for her phone.

In an instant, everyone had each other's numbers, and with that, Jiwoo and Jungeun left.

"Where do you have my things?" Heejin asked.

Chaewon grabbed her bag, and from it, took Heejin's blades, neatly secured in leather scabbards. She almost stole them from Chaewon's hands, her eyes shining as she held them against her chest.

"Guess I don't have to get you new weapons, after all," Hyunjin said.

"I'm so grateful. Thank you, guys, for remembering to bring my things."

“I’m sorry we couldn’t bring your guitar, but I managed to grab the first sketchbook I saw and your pencil case.”

Heejin beamed as Chaewon handed her the things, and Hyunjin irked an eyebrow. So, Heejin played the guitar? And knew how to draw?

“Thank you so much.”

Chaewon nodded and took a rectangular case from her bag. "Can I connect my Switch to the TV, Hyunjin?"

"You brought your... console?" Hyunjin stared at it.

"Of course?! How do you expect me to spend my time when I'm not fighting or training?"

"I brought mine as well," Hyejoo said, with hers in hand. "We always play in our free time, and there's really nothing else to do now, might as well get my mind occupied with something else."

Hyunjin blinked. "Sure, go ahead and use the TV."

Chaewon jumped from the couch with a happy squeal.

"Do you wanna play with us?" Hyejoo asked Hyunjin.

“Uhm, no, thank you. I'm gonna take a shower and change." Hyunjin got up on her feet.

"Actually, can I do the same?” Heejin asked.

“Sure, you can use the bathroom on this floor, I’ll use the one upstairs.”

Grabbing what she needed from her room, she went for the bathroom, taking a long, hot, and relaxing shower, and allowing her mind to run free. There was so much happening, her brain didn’t know what to think about first. So, why did it choose to think about Heejin, in the middle of everything? About how she told her she was different, and that she trusted her.

Hyunjin threw her head back, the hot water hitting her face directly. Was Jinsol right, after all? Did Hyunjin want Heejin’s trust that much? Was it because she was a human? A slayer? But she had Chaewon and Hyejoo’s as well, and all she could think about was... Heejin. No, her words.

She turned the water off and dried her body, proceeding to get in her long black shorts she loved the most when she went to take a jog or train, her sports bra, and a basic white baggy tank top. Hyunjin never had the patience to blow-dry her hair, so she made her way downstairs.

And as she reached the lower floor, Heejin stepped outside the bathroom, their eyes meeting. She wore similar clothes, some comfy shorts and an oversized t-shirt, and her hair was also wet, running down her shoulders. Heejin’s eyes moved down, focusing on Hyunjin’s tattooed arm.

“Feeling better?” Hyunjin asked.

“Y-Yes, I was really needing it.”

Hyunjin nodded and walked over the living room, where Hyejoo and Chaewon had their eyes glued to the TV, playing some racing game. But as she approached, and Chaewon peeked at her, she gasped, paused the game, and stared at Hyunjin.

“Oh my god, your arm!”

“Wow, Hyunjin, that’s really cool." Hyejoo stared at it as well.

“Why is everyone reacting like that to my arm? Aren’t tattoos a normal thing?”

“Not in Korea! Also, that’s not it, it’s just that it’s really pretty and impressive. And I don’t think anyone would expect an arm length solar system tattoo,” Heejin said, standing beside her.

“Yeah, completely unexpected!” Chaewon said, her eyes still glued to it. “Do you have more?”

“Hm, no.”

Heejin’s eyebrow rose. “You do.”

“I don’t. I’m gonna take a jog or something.”

"Do you want to be alone, or... can I join?"

Spending some time alone sounded good, maybe to organize her mind a bit. But...

"Sure. Bring your blades with you."

Heejin beamed, rushing to take them from Chaewon’s bag.

"We'll be nearby," Hyunjin said, walking to the door with Heejin. "Call us if you need anything."

"They certainly won't need anything," Heejin mumbled as they stepped outside. "Like Chaewon said, the time they weren't training or out in missions, they spent it all playing videogames together. Now, are you going to train?"

"Do you want to?"

"You were the one telling me to bring my blades!"

"You seemed to be missing them a lot, so I thought we could go and practice together.”

“Do you have your gun?”

Hyunjin chuckled. “No, I don’t really need to practice that.”

“Confident, are we?”

“I actually am.”

In the following silence, Hyunjin found herself peeking at Heejin as they walked, just to find her eyes on her already, and a smile on her lips.

“What do you usually train, then?”

“Speed, strength. I work out a lot as well.”

“Yeah, I can see.”

That sounded more like a statement than a compliment. Why were her ears getting hot, then?

“So, are you gonna teach me something?” Heejin asked.

“I can’t teach you how to use that, I have never used them, so, I guess we can work out together, and I can push your limits, so you get better stamina and get stronger. Just be sure to keep up with me.”

“Is that a challenge? Okay, who gets to the training spot first wins.” And with that, Heejin sprinted forward.

Hyunjin scoffed, remembering how she did the same thing that night when they went out hunting. Hyunjin let her go ahead, and when she was almost reaching, with just enough impulse, Hyunjin dashed forward, taking her a second to arrive first, standing with her hands on her waist as she observed Heejin running there.

“That’s not fair!” Heejin said, supporting herself on her knees, her breathing fast. “Not fair at all!”

“You challenged me without rules. And you’re tired already? Goddess, you really need to work on that stamina.”

“I’m not tired, I didn’t even warm up!”

Hyunjin laughed, stepping inside the training grounds. “Come on, let’s warm up, then.”

She let Heejin show her a few blade techniques as they warmed up.

“Okay, let’s spar,” Hyunjin said.

“For real?”

“Yeah. Attack me. I’ll only defend myself.”

“But...”

“No buts, don’t worry about me. Attack me as if you were hunting me. Don’t hold back.”

Heejin frowned, but when Hyunjin positioned herself, she did the same. Heejin sprinted, swinging her blades, and Hyunjin dodged them, keeping up with her.

Heejin was doing fairly well. Maybe Hyunjin had underestimated her abilities, after all.

“You’re fast, agile, and you have great reflexes,” Hyunjin said as they took a small break, dropping their bodies to the bench. “But you really lack strength. I know it’s not your style of fighting, but it’s also important. If a vampire manages to jump on you, your chances of fighting back are almost none.”

“What do you suggest then?”

“Let’s train those arms and legs.” Hyunjin stood up, got herself in position, bending her knees just a bit, and held her hands at her head’s height. “Punch my hands.”

“What?”

“Get up and do as I said.”

She ended up complying, and pulling her arm backwards, she punched Hyunjin’s hand. It barely moved, and Hyunjin sighed.

“I’m not Hyejoo!” Heejin whined.

“Hyejoo?”

“She’s super strong, and fights with her fists.”

“I thought you all would have some kind of blade or sword.”

“She doesn’t. She uses silver knuckles.”

“That’s interesting. What about Chaewon?”

“A small crossbow.”

“Oh, she is long ranged? But, a crossbow? Isn’t that... a bit old fashioned? Is her aim good?”

“It’s amazing.”

Hyunjin tapped her chin. “How about I get her a gun?”

“A gun? Like yours?”

“I’ll see what she can do tomorrow, and I’ll think about it. Now, back to punches.” Hyunjin stood in position again. “Come on, give me your best.”

Heejin put on a fierce expression and positioned herself too, fists balled in front of her face. And as she swung her arm, her stomach rumbled.

“Let’s take care of that first.” Hyunjin chuckled.

“Sorry, I didn’t have anything to eat today.”

“It’s okay, I’ll go get you and Chaewon something for lunch.”

“I’ll go with you.”

“No, you stay in the house with them. We don’t want to risk you being out there, we have no idea if they’re looking for you.”

Heejin dropped her head, staring at the ground. “Thank you.”

“No problem. Let’s head back.”

She left Heejin back at her house, grabbed Bumblebee and went to buy food. She didn’t ask what she or Chaewon liked, but Hyunjin guessed everyone must like kimchi stew, right? Wait, she was supposed to buy take-away food, not think what she would cook for them.

Almost half an hour later, she was back home. As soon as she opened the door, Heejin ran to help her carrying the grocery bags in her hands, even though she could handle it perfectly well.

“Food! Is that pizza I smell?” Hyejoo shouted, jumping to her feet, and the three girls looked at her. Then it hit her. And as it did, she dropped to the couch, all the excitement in her face dying even faster. “That’s right, I can’t... eat now.”

Hyejoo’s eyes started shining, and her lower lip quivered. Chaewon, who sat beside her, threw herself at her, hugging her close, and Hyejoo hid her face in her neck.

It was finally dawning on her. Even though Hyunjin barely knew her, she couldn’t help but grip harder on the paper bag. The sight only became more and more painful as the seconds went by.

“Keep her company,” Hyunjin told Heejin, as she walked over to the kitchen, but Heejin followed her instead.

“I'll leave that to Chaewon.”

“Hyejoo!” Chaewon’s voice came out loud and hurried, and as Hyunjin and Heejin turned to it, they observed as Hyejoo dashed away, running out the door.

Chaewon looked at them, a tear running from her eye. “She said she wants to be alone.”

“How was she in the morning?” Hyunjin asked, removing the groceries from the bags.

“She was... fine. We played all this time and cuddle- I mean, she seemed fine.”

“She did seem to be taking it a little too well for what I know of her,” Heejin said.

Chaewon gave them a weak nod, leaning back against the couch and sinking onto it.

“Keep her company instead, while I make lunch,” Hyunjin said.

“Make? You’re gonna cook? What about the pizza? Wait, do you even know how to cook?”

“There’s pizza, and there will be something else. It won’t take long.”

Heejin stared at her for a couple seconds, like she didn’t believe her words. But when Hyunjin fetched for a knife and a cutting board and started cutting the green onions with extraordinary skill, Heejin turned and went to sit next to Chaewon, laying a hand on her leg.

Hyunjin focused on her task, trying her hardest not to think of Hyejoo and how she must be feeling.

Around ten minutes later, the kimchi stew was done, sending a delicious spicy aroma drifting in the air, and the table was ready for Heejin and Chaewon. “Lunch is ready.”

Heejin stood up, but Chaewon didn’t move. “I’m not hungry.”

“Chaewon, you need to eat. I know how you’re feeling, but it’s not fair. You know Hyejoo would be worried about you if she knew you didn’t eat properly.”

Chaewon looked up at her, and it seemed to did the trick. She got up on her feet, and both girls moved to the kitchen, widening their eyes at the meal.

“Actually, the pizza was a backup plan in case you didn’t like Kimchi stew. I hope it’s good.”

“It smells amazing,” Heejin said, sitting down. “I had no idea you could cook.”

“I used to, a lot. You know, forty years ago. I cook for Jinsol sometimes, so I think it should be good enough.”

“It’s great!” Chaewon said, after taking a spoon of the stew to , but soon enough, more tears rolled down her eyes. “Hyejoo would love this...”

Hyunjin opened the fridge and took two bottles. “I know she said she wants to be alone, but I think she needs help processing it. I’m gonna talk to her. And don’t worry, Chaewon. I’m sure she’ll be happy you enjoyed it and that you’re well fed.”

Chaewon sobbed, taking a pizza slice to . “Thank you, Hyunjin.”

With a smile, Hyunjin left the house, focusing on Hyejoo’s scent. She wasn’t too far, and she seemed to be close to the training grounds.

A couple minutes later, Hyunjin found her, sitting with her legs up to her chest, her back against a large tree. Without a word yet, Hyunjin sat next to her, waiting for Hyejoo to raise her head and look at her. When she did, the sight was just as painful as it had been before – her red eyes, the dried tears on her skin.

“Hey.” Hyunjin gave her a smile, offering her a bottle. “You should drink this.”

“I don’t want to. And I want to be alone.”

“I know, but at a time like this, you should open up to someone. You know, let out everything you have in there, rant, scream if you want. I’ll be here to listen. And you know I understand, on a personal level, how you feel.”

“No, you don’t. Weren’t you a normal human when you were turned? I’m a slayer. I spent half my life with the Silver Blades, all these years I learned vampires are bad and we should protect humans from them. I’m supposed to kill vampires, and now I... am one. My own sister hates me now, so what am I supposed to feel? To do? Die? Kill myself? Just because I am one?”

Hyunjin looked up at the sky, pondering for a bit how she should word her thoughts. “True, you’re a slayer, and you kill vampires. But you know, I am a vampire, and I kill vampires as well.”

Hyejoo frowned. “Why would you?”

“Because I know that vampires are dangerous, and humans should be protected from them. That’s why I hunt vampires. You could even say I’m a slayer. But just like me, Yeojin, Jungeun, Jiwoo, you, there are vampires who are not dangerous to the human kind. It’s not because you’re a vampire now that you would attack someone. But the slayers don’t know that, they wouldn’t understand. Just like your sister, Yves.”

“You know my sister?”

“Yes. She attacked me ten years ago.”

“You… fought my sister, and you’re alive?”

Hyunjin gave her a small smile. “I am, but my brother is not.”

Something that Hyunjin would never talk about, or even casually mention. That day, it had been the second time.

Hyejoo’s chin slowly dropped, as if the realization hit her. “Sooyoung killed your brother?”

“He was a vampire, just like us. But she didn’t believe us when we said we weren’t bad. Hyejoo, you may be a vampire now, but you’re not evil. You’re not a villain, and you don’t deserve to be killed just for existing. You are a victim. They took you and did this to you without your consent, and you never had a choice. They are the monsters, not you.”

“Why didn’t they hesitate in trying to kill me, then? If I’m not a monster?” Hyejoo said, gritting her teeth, and her eyes shifted, turning grey.

“Because they don’t know better. Because they wouldn’t put themselves in your shoes, they wouldn’t think ‘what if this had happened to me’.”

“But why did this happen to me, out of all people?” Hyejoo clenched her jaw, her fangs growing and peeking out from her lips. “It has to be because I was too weak to fight back, because I just wasn’t capable enough to stop this from happening.”

“You know, just a little bit ago, Heejin told me how you were one of the strongest among your kind, and I believe her. But you were only as strong as a human could be. Vampires have abilities that you could never dream of having at the time, and honestly, it’s far from a fair fight. It’s impressive that slayers created silver weapons and can actually stand up to vampires,” Hyunjin said, and Hyejoo let her gaze drop to the ground. “But instead of hating yourself, hating the vampire in you, think of it this way... You’re stronger now, and your goals didn’t change. You still want to protect humans, you still want to fight with us and end what’s happening. You can fight better now. You’re gonna be better than you’ve ever been at protecting the ones you love.”

Hyejoo widened her eyes at her.

“Embrace the changes in you, and turn that hatred, that anger, in strength to move on, to become stronger, to get to your goal. I have been doing this for years, so take it from me. It’s very much possible, and the choice to do good is yours to make. Tell me, what is it that you want most in life?”

“I don’t really want anything for myself.” Hyejoo didn’t hesitate in her answer. “I just want to be useful to other people. To be someone who can fight to make the world a safer place. To be able to defend others if they’re in danger. Having almost attacked one of my best friends doesn’t exactly go well with that aim, to be honest.”

“Which brings me to...” Hyunjin shoved a bottle in her hands. “You have to drink this. You’re barely turned, you need to drink more at the beginning. And don’t worry, it’s not human blood. We don’t drink any of that here.”

Her grey eyes fixed on the bottle, until she accepted it at last and brought it to her lips. She took a couple gulps and scrunched her nose.

“You’ll get used to the taste,” Hyunjin said. “It’s really, really important that you keep yourself well fed, as that’s what will allow you to keep your consciousness and control over your actions. If you don’t... Let’s say that if you thought being hangry was bad, you’re in for a ride.”

Hyunjin took pride in the small chuckle she ripped from Hyejoo. She rested a hand on Hyejoo's arm and gave it a little squeeze. “Look, as long as you take care of yourself, you’ll be fine, and you can be there to protect the ones you love. But if you turn your anger towards yourself and what you’ve become, if you surrender and think you should just die, you won’t be there for them.”

Hyejoo remained silent.

“Did you… did you hate yourself too? At first.” She finally broke her silence.

“I did. I still hate the fact that I’m a vampire, but I don’t hate myself, because it’s not my fault that a vampire attacked and killed my family, and turned me. I thought that instead of trying to kill myself because I couldn’t bear with the fact that I was a vampire, I would take advantage of my strength, of my abilities, for the greater good.”

Hyejoo’s unique triangular shaped lips stretched into a smile. “Thank you, Hyunjin. And… I’m sorry about your brother.”

Hyunjin showed her the slightest smile. “I’m gonna get going and give you some time to feed and rest some more. We’ll be waiting in the house when you’re ready.”

“Hyunjin, wait!” Hyejoo called. “Are they okay? Have they eaten well... or something? I didn’t want to worry people too much.”

Hyunjin bit back a giggle. “Don’t worry, Heejin and I made sure Chaewon ate well.”

---

A/N: Reality finally hit Hyejoo, but she's alright!!! The next chapter is lighter, you'll know a bit know more about the characters, and prepare yourself for a huge dose of fluff hehehe