She’s losing it

When Blood Meets Silver

“Heejin!” Hyunjin shouted, darting forward.

Jiwoo and Heejin gasped as Hyunjin grabbed on the girl’s neck and sweatshirt, pulling her away from Heejin, from sinking her now fully grown teeth onto her neck, and the blonde girl shrieked. A second later, Jungeun appeared from behind the girl, holding on to her arms to keep her in place. She thrashed against their grip, her grey eyes focused on Heejin, grunting as her teeth wanted to desperately sink into human skin.

“Hyejoo!” the blonde girl cried. “It’s us!”

“Bring a bottle, fast!” Hyunjin yelled, staring directly into her eyes – the eyes of a turned vampire whose conscience was quickly fading.

Jiwoo appeared a few seconds after, the bottle shaking between her trembling hands.

“Feed her, fast! She’s losing it!” Hyunjin said, increasing her grip on her.

With difficulty, Jiwoo opened the bottle and tried to bring it to Hyejoo’s mouth, but she struggled, growling something incoherent and trying to reach for Heejin and the blonde girl, Chaewon.

“Jungeun, let's take her down! On my count, one, two...”

And the next second, they pushed Hyejoo to the ground, Hyunjin pinning her down, with Jungeun still holding her arms.

“Don’t hurt her, please!” Chaewon cried.

“Jiwoo, now!” Jungeun said, pressing Hyejoo’s arms down with her knees and using her hands to keep her head in place instead.

Jiwoo nodded and kneeled, and taking the bottle to her lips, she jugged the liquid down . The second the blood entered , Hyejoo calmed down and stopped struggling against their grip.

The bottle emptied in mere seconds, and Hyejoo’s eyes went shut as she finished drinking it.

“I-Is she alright?” Chaewon asked, her high-pitched voice barely a whisper.

“She will be,” Jungeun said.

Hyunjin couldn’t come up to say a word. She peeked back, at Heejin, and the sight pained her whole being. The hurt in the way she looked at Hyejoo, the way she was the one squeezing Chaewon’s hand.

One of her friends, one from that same night where they first met, had been turned.

Hyejoo’s eyes shot open, and with it, the struggling came back.

“Hyejoo!” Chaewon rushed to their side, kneeling beside her.

“Back away,” Hyunjin told Jungeun, as she got up on her feet.

Hyejoo could barely sit up as Chaewon threw herself at her with her arms around her shoulders, and the sobs were back. “Are you okay?”

“What happened?” Hyejoo asked, hugging her back and hiding her face in her neck.

Hyunjin let her head drop back, her eyes staring at the morning sky. She closed them for a couple seconds, taking in a deep, long breath.

“Get inside, everyone,” she said, leading the way.

Jinsol was still standing by the door. “You did well.”

“What in the moon is going on, Jinsol?”

Jinsol rested a hand on her shoulder, giving her a reassuring smile. “I don’t know. But whatever it is, you can handle it.”

“You can go now.”

“No, I’ll stay. If you want, of course.”

“Please, do.”

Jungeun and Chaewon stepped inside first, both helping Hyejoo walk, with each of her arms around their shoulders, and Jiwoo followed behind. Heejin still stood frozen, in the exact same spot.

“Go check on her, I’ll stay here with them,” Jinsol said.

Hyunjin mumbled a thanks before rushing to Heejin.

“Hey,” Hyunjin said in a low tone, standing in front of Heejin. “You okay?”

Slowly, Heejin raised her head, her shining, fogged eyes staring at Hyunjin’s, and again, it hurt so much. “They turned her, Hyunjin.”

And the pain in her voice was so evident, so strong, it ignited another wave of anger in Hyunjin's body. Anger towards Jaebum, towards the Blood Alliance, towards whoever the vampire who turned Hyejoo was.

But before the anger took over her, she took a step forward, her body meeting Heejin’s, and her arms circled around her shoulders, pulling her close.

“I’m sorry,” Hyunjin whispered.

It took a second for Heejin to react, but when she did, her arms squeezed Hyunjin’s torso, and loud sobs erupted near her ear.

“I’ll-- no, we. We’ll avenge her, Heejin,” Hyunjin said, not knowing if it was the right thing to say at the moment.

Heejin didn’t answer, and Hyunjin let her take her time, cry all she wanted, all while she caressed her hair.

“Feeling better?” Hyunjin asked as Heejin’s sobs calmed down.

She nodded, but didn’t let go.

“She’ll be fine. I promise.”

“She’s Yves’ little sister.”

Hyunjin’s eyes widened. “Yves... kicked her own sister out?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t ask what happened yet.”

“We need to know. Let’s go inside, yes?”

Hyunjin pulled away, just enough to stare at Heejin’s eyes, and her hands moved on their own to wipe the tears away. But for some reason, they stayed there, cupping Heejin’s cheeks, and her skin felt so soft against her touch.

“L-Let’s go,” Heejin said, pulling away and walking back inside.

Hyunjin blinked, snapping out of whatever that was, and followed her.

Hyejoo sat on the big couch, Chaewon sitting next to her, and Jinsol on the other side, talking to them. Jiwoo and Jungeun sat on the smaller couch in silence, but their hands grasped on each other’s between their bodies.

Heejin froze again, her eyes on Hyejoo, who dropped her head to avoid her eyes. Jinsol stood up, motioning Heejin to sit instead. She hesitated, but slowly, she approached, and sat next to her.

“Hyejoo,” she called, and the second Hyejoo turned, just the slightest to her, Heejin hugged her, taking Hyejoo by surprise, who widened her eyes. “It’s okay, I’m not afraid.”

Hyejoo’s lower lip started trembling, until she broke down and hugged Heejin back, crying against her shoulder. “I-I’m sorry, I never wanted to attack you...”

Chaewon kept on rubbing her back, and Hyunjin balled her fists.

Another life ruined by them.

Diana jumped to the couch, meowing at Heejin, and Selene was sitting on Hyunjin’s armchair, her big, yellow eyes fixed on them.

“Did she hiss at Hyejoo?” Hyunjin asked.

“She did,” Jinsol said.

Hyunjin rolled her eyes, and Jiwoo giggled.

“What happened?” Heejin finally asked, pulling away.

Hyunjin walked to her armchair, grabbed Selene who meowed in annoyance, sat, and put her on her lap. Jinsol brought a chair from the kitchen to sit near them. Hyunjin always thought there were too many couches, and that there was no one to use them. She would have never thought there would be a day in which there weren’t enough seats for everyone.

“How did you even find us?” Heejin added before they could start explaining.

“We had Yerim access the system and get your location.”

“Yerim?” Hyunjin asked.

“She’s our friend, and she’s from the police. Her rank is higher than ours, so she can access that info.”

“Wait a second,” Jinsol said, and Hyunjin looked at her, sure they were thinking about the same. “Yerim, from the police? Are you talking about... Choi Yerim?”

Hyejoo and Chaewon exchanged a look. “Yeah, how do you know?”

Hyunjin snorted, and Jinsol dropped her chin. “I’m a detective, I’m from the police as well, and Yerim is my coworker.”

“No way!” Chaewon gasped.

“Yes way. She talks a lot about Yerim-”

“I never even suspected she could be working with you!” Jinsol cut Hyunjin off, her face visibly getting redder, and Hyunjin had to bite back a laugh.

“Just like she probably has no idea you work with me,” Hyunjin said.

“Anyway, Yerim gave you Heejin’s location, and you ended up here. But what happened before?”

Hyejoo dropped her head again, and Chaewon frowned, holding on her hand.

“Heejin was missing,” Hyejoo started. “they went to investigate her location and found it highly suspicious, so they organized the attack. We were part of it.”

“I’m so sorry,” Heejin said, hiding her face in her hands.

“It’s not your fault,” Jungeun said, reaching forward to lay a hand on Heejin's shoulder. “This all started because I captured you-”

“It was you?!” Hyejoo asked, her slender eyes turning grey as she jumped on her feet. “Are you from there? What the are you even doing here?!”

“Hey, hey, calm down.” Hyunjin stood up as well, reaching for Hyejoo’s arm. “They’re on our side, and she already apologized to Heejin. I know this is all very new to you, vampires siding with slayers and all, but you are a vampire now. You should be the first to understand how we’re no different from you, and that it isn’t the fact that we are vampires that decides who we are,” Hyunjin said, and Hyejoo’s eyes went huge for a second, before she set her head lower. “And it doesn’t matter whose fault it is. Let’s focus on what happened. And control yourself, you’re barely turned. You don’t want to lose it again, do you?”

Hyejoo’s features softened when she realized her teeth had grown as well. She sat down again, mumbling a barely audible apology. The atmosphere was heavy, but Jinsol broke it, asking them to continue.

“We attacked, and in the middle of everything, they got me,” Hyejoo explained. “I got separated from everyone, and I couldn’t fight them all alone. They knocked me out and I don’t know what happened next.”

“They turned you,” Jungeun said.

“But why?!” Hyejoo asked, her voice way louder than before. “Just because I’m a slayer? Was it revenge? Why didn’t they just kill me?”

“I’m sorry, Hyejoo,” Jiwoo said. “They... they’re bad vampires.”

“And now I am one! Just like she said, I am a vampire! But I know that it didn’t change a damn thing, but they didn’t even care about who I am, and how long I’d been there, they attacked me!”

“Hyejoo...” Chaewon squeezed her hand.

“They?” Jinsol asked, a certain hesitation in her voice.

“The Silver Blades!”

Jiwoo gasped. “But you’re one of them!”

“They don’t care!” Hyejoo said, the frustration coming out so clear in her voice. “My sister... my own sister told me to leave.”

Now it was Heejin who gasped. Chaewon broke down in tears again, and Hyunjin clenched her jaw.

“I know we fight, and we kill vampires, but does that erase who I am? I was turned, I never asked for this, I have spent half of my life with the Silver Blades, and now I am suddenly... a monster they want to eliminate?”

The silence was deafening.

“Other slayers attacked you, but your sister told you to leave?” Hyunjin asked.

“Yes. They attacked me yesterday, right there, when they realized what the vampires did to me. If it wasn’t for Gowon, I would be dead.”

Chaewon sobbed so hard she choked on her own breathing, and Hyunjin didn’t need to ask who Gowon was.

“She protected me and took me to my sister, expecting that she would understand, but even she... looked at me like I was nothing more than a vampire she wouldn’t hesitate to kill. Like I would attack her, like my whole person had been replaced and I wasn’t Hyejoo anymore… like I wasn’t her sister anymore. She told me I would come back to the headquarters that night, but the final decision wasn’t hers.”

“What did Vivi say?” Heejin asked.

“We don’t know. They would discuss that today, but I wasn’t feeling safe there. A vampire living under the same roof as thousands of slayers? Before everyone woke up, we took our things, your things, and escaped.”

“My things?” Heejin’s eyes bulged. “Do you have my blades?!”

“They’re in Gowon’s backpack.”

Heejin took a hand to her chest with a loud sigh. “Thank you so much. But, how did you know I wasn’t going to come back?”

“We know what you did,” Hyejoo said, glancing at Hyunjin. “Word went loose as soon as it happened. More slayers witnessed the scene.”

Heejin scoffed. “What, do they want me dead too?”

“Probably.”

Hyunjin hit her armchair with her fist, catching everyone’s attention, and scaring Selene away from her lap. “Let’s get something straight. You’re not going back to the Silver Blades, any of you three, right?”

The three slayers exchanged looks between themselves, then looked at Hyunjin.

“I’m a vampire.” Hyejoo scoffed. “Even if I wanted, even if Vivi allowed me to come back, I would walk straight to my own death. If my own sister doesn’t accept me like this, no one else would.”

“And just like Heejin, I broke the number one rule when I protected Hyejoo."

“Jinsol, call Haseul,” Hyunjin said, the anger coming back way too fast, boiling in her blood.

“What? Why?”

“She said she’s a med student. Tell her to come here. I’m pretty sure she can safely remove your tracking chips. If not, I don’t have any better options.”

“W-What?” Chaewon mumbled, terror taking over her features.

“We don’t want you tracked.”

Jinsol nodded and stood up, fetching her phone from her pocket as she walked to the kitchen.

“Chaewon,” Hyunjin called, and she met her eyes. “Weren’t you scared when you saw Hyejoo as a vampire?”

She gulped. “I don’t know if scared is the right word. Because no matter what she is, I trust her, and I know she would never hurt me. And I would never hurt her, even if I’m a slayer who is supposed to kill vampires. Vampire or not, Hyejoo is Hyejoo.”

They looked at each other, Hyejoo giving her a shy smile.

Jinsol was back. “She’s on her way here.”

“Who’s Haseul?” Hyejoo asked, and then turned to Jungeun and Jiwoo. “And I still don’t understand who you are and why you’re here as well.”

Hyunjin sighed, but with their help, they proceeded to explain everything to Hyejoo and Chaewon, from Yeojin being turned, to how Heejin and Hyunjin met and started working together (“What?!” Chaewon gasped. “You’ve been working with a vampire all this time?”), to the Blood Alliance's missions and plans, and how Jungeun and Jiwoo joined her the night before. And by the time they were done, Haseul was arriving, with Yeojin tagging along.

Jinsol went to open the door, and Haseul stopped by the entrance, widening her eyes when she saw how many people were there. Yeojin, though, ran to Hyunjin and jumped to hug her. Hyunjin felt her cheeks warming up, because, for some reason, everyone was staring at her, and because there was this weird expression on Heejin’s face. A small smile, but with pain behind it.

“Hey, Yeojin.” Hyunjin greeted, patting her head. “Why are you here? Shouldn’t you be at school?”

“I still have some time before classes start, and Haseul said she was coming here, so I thought I could pay you a visit, and you know, my stock is almost over.” Yeojin pulled away, and turned to greet the others, when her eyes met Heejin’s.

“H-Hi, Yeojin,” Heejin stuttered, trying to sound friendly.

Yeojin turned to face Hyunjin, silently asking her why was Heejin there.

“Don’t worry, she’s a friend now. You can trust her.”

“I don’t have much time, I need to head to college soon. Let’s do this fast,” Haseul said. “Where can I perform the surgeries?”

Chaewon gulped so loud it echoed in the room.

“What do you need?”

“Just a flat surface, I have all I need with me.”

“Then just use the kitchen table.”

“Alright, who wants to go first?”

Hyejoo stood up and bowed. “Thank you for helping us.”

She followed Haseul, and both sat at the table, Haseul taking everything she needed from her classic case.

“That’s gonna hurt, right?” Chaewon asked, clasping her hands together on her lap.

“Probably.” Hyunjin shrugged. “You fight vampires, but you’re worried about getting a minuscule thing taken out from under your wrist?”

“Yes, of course?!”

“It’s not gonna hurt, I’m going to numb out your wrists. But don’t tell anyone I got a hold on all these things before I officially have my medical license. Especially not...” Haseul looked at Jinsol. “Not the cops.”

Jinsol whistled and covered her ears. Yeojin laughed, causing Jiwoo to do the same.

“Hey, Yeojin?” Jiwoo called. “We know you were turned because of the Blood Alliance. I’m glad Jinsol and Hyunjin took care of you before they could take you there, and I want to apologize on their behalf.”

“I was brought there the same way you were going to be,” Jungeun added.

Yeojin irked an eyebrow. "What? What's the Blood Alliance?"

Hyunjin sighed. "Let me summarize it for you. The vampire who turned you belonged to a vampire organization called the Blood Alliance. They're bad vampires who are turning people to fight the slayers, and Jiwoo and Jungeun ran away from there and joined us."

"O... kay." Yeojin frowned harder. "You'll have to explain it to me better later. But don't worry, Jiwoo, it’s not your fault. If you’re here, it means Hyunjin trusts you, and if she does, it means you're good people.”

Jinsol, who leaned against the wall with her arms crossed on her chest, looked at Yeojin with a proud smile.

“You too, Heejin,” Yeojin added, and Heejin widened her eyes. “Even though you... did that, I forgive you.”

Heejin dropped her head, but sighed. “Thank you, Yeojin. And I’m sorry. I’ve opened my eyes, and I’m a different person now.”

Yeojin properly introduced herself to Chaewon, Jiwoo, and Jungeun, and then to Hyejoo as she came back.

“How was it? Did it hurt? Are you okay?!” Chaewon bombarded her with questions.

“It was worse for me than it probably will be for you two. I had to get a bigger cut so it wouldn’t heal too fast for her to take out the chip. Good news is my scar will also heal faster, it seems.”

“Next!” Haseul yelled from the kitchen table.

“You want to go first, Chaewon?“ Heejin asked.

Hyejoo showed her wrist to her, the cut barely an inch long. “It didn’t hurt. The faster you go, the faster you’ll be done. You don’t even have to look directly.”

Chaewon’s eyebrows drew together, and with that, she stood up. “I can do it!” she said, probably convincing herself of that as she walked to what awaited her. “It’s not gonna hurt, right?” she asked Haseul.

“If you stay quiet, I can do it fast and you will barely notice it.”

“How are you feeling? Like, honestly,” Hyunjin asked Hyejoo, stealing her attention from Chaewon.

“I don’t know. It doesn’t feel real, like it didn’t hit me yet that I’m... a vampire now. I feel like... nothing changed about me, I still feel like myself,” she said, looking at her own hands. “but at the same time, I know a lot changed. Maybe I’m so overwhelmed with everything that I haven't processed it yet.”

“I’m sorry for what happened,” Hyunjin reached to rest a hand on her shoulder. “But you are right. What changed about you is not who you are. You’re safe here, and you’re not alone. I guess you know a lot about vampires, but if you want to ask something or need something, I’m here.”

“How was it with you? How did you react, what did you do?”

“It was a long time ago, I didn’t even know vampires existed. It was hard, but hey, I’m here, and alive, and you have people that don’t want you killed,” she said, trying to lighten the mood, and it managed to rip a smile from Hyejoo. “You’ll get through it.”

“Thank you, Hyunjin. I can see why Heejin protected you. And cool tattoo, by the way.” She pointed at Hyunjin’s neck.

Hyunjin met Heejin’s eyes for a second, before she averted her attention to Chaewon again, and Hyunjin leaned back on her armchair, clearing . “T-Thank you.”

“Can you please stay put?” Haseul said. “I can’t do it like this!”

“Hyejoo!” Chaewon cried. “Please come here!”

Hyejoo shook her head, but stood up and walked over to Chaewon, holding her hand as soon as she got there.

“Are they... you know?” Yeojin asked, irking an eyebrow at them.

“They’ve always been like this,” Heejin said, biting back a laugh at how dramatic Chaewon was.

“That answers my question.” Yeojin nodded.

“Don’t look at her, she’ll be even more nervous like!” Jiwoo said.

They complied, everyone averting their eyes from Chaewon.

“Hyunjin,” Yeojin called, capturing her attention. “I made a decision.”

“What is it?”

“There's just one year left for me to graduate, and as you can expect, it’s not easy to pretend to be someone I’m not. So, when I’m finished, I’ll move away from the city.”

Hyunjin’s eyebrows rose. “What are you going to do?”

"Apply to some college far from here, so I can start anew, where nobody knows me."

"You'll be all alone?" Hyunjin asked, her attention being momentarily stolen by Chaewon again, as she whined, and Hyejoo brought Chaewon's face to her stomach, caressing her hair.

"Haseul will go with me."

"Oh?"

"She's finishing her degree as well, so she'll try and get a job where I'll go, and she says she wants to know more about us."

"How so?"

"She wants to study vampires. Our blood, our body, why we can't eat." Yeojin approached Hyunjin's ear. "She even talked about finding a cure."

Hyunjin's eyes widened on her face. "Really?"

"Really! She's amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if she managed to."

A cure... Becoming human again.

No, Hyunjin wouldn't even dream about that. She preferred to pretend it wasn't possible rather than an deceive herself.

"But before I go," Yeojin continued. "I want you to teach me a thing or two."

"Like what?"

"Control my strength, empower my senses, you know, those vampire things."

Hyunjin chuckled. "So, training you, basically?"

"If you want to call it that."

First Heejin, now Yeojin.

Hyunjin scanned the room. She thought of Jiwoo, who wasn’t exactly a newbie, but was probably significantly younger. Jungeun seemed even younger. Hyejoo had just turned, so she would need guidance in all of that as well.

And like Heejin said, if they were serious about that, if they were to fight for real, they better be prepared.

At last, Chaewon stood up, and Hyejoo helped her walk back to the couch, as if she had just gone through a major surgery. Haseul rested her forehead on her hand, sighing heavily.

"Was it so bad, after all?" Heejin asked, standing up.

"I thought I was gonna die," Chaewon dropped to the couch.

"No, you didn't, you're just an overly dramatic ," Hyejoo mumbled.

Chaewon pouted, and Hyejoo panicked. "I-I was joking, Gowon."

Heejin shook her head and before walking over to Haseul, she glanced at Hyunjin. Hyunjin nodded with a smile, and that was enough to reassure her. She sat, bowed her head at Haseul, and rested her arm with her wrist up on the table.

Hyunjin observed as Haseul got ready, and as Heejin balled her other hand on her lap, under the table. Her eyebrow quivered just slightly, and focusing on her hearing, Hyunjin could listen how fast Heejin's heart beat. She didn't seem bothered by it at all before, even when Chaewon was throwing a fit, but maybe she was just pretending she wasn’t scared.

Standing up and walking over her to hold her hand, just like Hyejoo had done with Chaewon, crossed Hyunjin's mind for a second. But instead, she kept her eyes on her, on how Heejin tried to keep her face straight as Haseul brought the scalpel closer to her skin.

Diana jumped down the couch and walked over to Heejin, sitting next to her chair and meowing up at her. Heejin managed to smile, looking down, with her eyebrows drawn together as Haseul did her job.

"Why are you looking at her like that?" Yeojin whispered.

"Like what?"

"You're smiling like an idiot. And you never smile."

"I wasn’t smiling."

"Yes, you were.” Yeojin face palmed. "I can't believe it, Hyunjin."

"You can't believe what?"

"That you li-"

Hyunjin took her hand to Yeojin's mouth before she could finish her sentence. "Please, don’t."

Yeojin laughed, her giggles coming out all muffled. Hyunjin felt her face starting to burn, but gladly, no one was paying her much attention. Chaewon and Hyejoo were in their own world, just like Jungeun and Jiwoo. Except for Jinsol. She was staring at them, and Hyunjin hoped her eyes could convey a 'you too'.

"If you didn't, you wouldn't react like this," Yeojin said.

"That’s absurd." Hyunjin scoffed. “I just don’t want people to hear it and think you’re serious.”

"Then what is it?"

"What is what?"

"Your feelings for her."

Her gaze averted to Heejin again. Her feelings for Heejin...

---

A/N: HYUNJIN SMILING? LOOKING AT HEEJIN?! kekeke

ALSO Choerry was finally mentioned! What was that about Jinsol's reaction, tho? ... :)))