Worthy opponent

When Blood Meets Silver

Hyunjin's body turned to stone, her mind blanking from any possible good outcomes. Was that knife even silver? Was Youngjae bluffing, playing with their emotions to get what he wanted from them?

A girl with shoulder length hair and deep blue eyes threw herself at Youngjae from behind with a loud, enraged grunt, but Youngjae didn't even flinch. A couple other vampires got a hold on her, pinning her to the ground with a painful thud.

"Don't you dare touch him!" she shrieked, thrashing around.

"Ryujin, don't do anything stupid!" Yeonjun cried.

"Listen to your brother, Ryujin." Youngjae smiled, so sick and twisted, as always.

"Do as he said," Hyunjin mumbled, raising her arms above her head. "We're gonna drop our weapons, and you won't hurt him."

"Hurry up, then!" Youngjae spat. "All of you, weapons on the floor, now!"

Slowly, Hyunjin lowered her arms, not taking her eyes off of him.

"I always hated rats." Youngjae scrunched his nose, staring at Jungeun and Jiwoo. "But I never imagined you two would be such a hassle."

They didn't answer, and instead, did as Hyunjin said, taking their knuckles off their hands and lowering them to the floor, just like Heejin dropped her blades.

Hyunjin's gun touched the floor, and as she rose from the ground, as careful and discrete as she could, she reached for the cuff of her jacket, her trembling hand looking for the small dot hidden inside. Finding it, she pressed as hard as she could, to make sure she sent the signal.

Please, please, please, hurry up!

Hyunjin prayed to her Goddess in her mind, feeling her whole body tense. What was happening? How could they have been detected so fast?

Youngjae's evil smile grew wider in his lips. "How I wish I could kill you all, but unfortunately, I have orders to leave you to-" A soft click, an invisible bullet straight at his head, and Youngjae's body fell to his side, vanishing from existence, all of him turning into ash right before everyone's eyes.

She had made the shot. Of course. Why did Hyunjin ever need to be nervous? She almost sighed in relief, but reminded herself this moment was too precious to waste. They had to take advantage of their confusion immediately.

"Now!" Hyunjin grabbed her gun from the ground and pointed at the stunned, now confused horde of vampires in front of them.

Shooting twice, she took two down. The others reached forward, Jungeun pulling the still catatonic Yeonjun at her back and punching the vampire who lunged at him. Jiwoo reached for Ryujin, helping her up from the floor, while Heejin dashed so fast and swiftly Hyunjin had trouble following the movements of her blades, slashing through the vampires without mercy.

A multitude of quick steps came into Hyunjin's earshot.

"The signal worked, they're coming!" Hyunjin said, shooting down the last vampire who tried to run for the door.

"Are you okay?" Jungeun asked Yeonjun.

"Y-Yes. I-I'm sorry, they found me out, they knew you were coming! I couldn't warn you, they kept us in here, I'm sorry, I..." He burst out in loud cries, hiding his face in his hands.

"No time for this! We need your help, where's Jinyoung and Jaebum?"

"Probably hiding somewhere," Ryujin said, way more collected than his brother, but she still stood by his side, trying to comfort him, rubbing his back. "Or joining the fight, I don't know."

"Jinyoung didn't show any fear when he fought at the Silver Blades, I'm sure he'll be somewhere downstairs," Hyunjin said. "Let's go!"

She rushed to the door, but Jungeun sprinted faster. "I'll lead the way, follow me."

All the noise, screams, grunts, slashes of blades through flesh and air echoed in the walls. They rushed through the corridors, and down the stairs, everything becoming louder by the second. As always, all the mixed scents made Hyunjin's head spin, but she tried to look for Jinyoung's or Jaebum's in the middle of them all.

Reaching the lowest floor, it felt like dejá vù, once again. All the slayers and vampires clashing against each other.

"We should go look for them!" Heejin gripped Hyunjin's arm.

"Where's Jaebum's room or office or something?" Hyunjin turned to Yeonjun.

"H-Highest floor. Jinyoung's room is there as well."

"Do you think they might be there?"

But Hyunjin didn't give him time to answer. Another horde of vampires stomped towards them from the outside.

"BEHIND YOU!" Hyunjin shouted as loud as she could, and some slayers turned to see the same.

She raised her gun and shot a couple down, but ran out of bullets. She cursed under her breath, her trembling hands reaching for the ammo, but she was running out of time. They were closing in, and the slayers would be surrounded and outnumbered.

"We'll take care of it!" Jungeun said, getting in position with Yeonjun and Ryujin by her side. "Go look for them!"

"But-"

"Just go!" Jiwoo yelled before dashing in the direction of the vampires with the others.

Hyunjin knew how skilled and strong they were, but she still felt like she should stay and help.

"Trust them," Heejin said, pulling on her arm. "We need to go!"

With a deeper breath, Hyunjin nodded at her and led the way back to the stairs so they could get to the higher levels.

"Not my sister, you motherers!"

Hyunjin couldn't help but halt and look at the direction of the scream, observing Hyejoo lunging at three vampires who surrounded Yves. With a punch, one vampire disappeared, while Yves stabbed her rapier forward, straight at another's heart. Then striking together, they finished the third one, and even in the middle of a battle, Hyejoo allowed herself to smile at her sister. An overwhelming warmth spread across Hyunjin's body, giving her extra strength and motivation to move forward.

She ran alongside Heejin, focusing on her ears and nose. They didn't know where to look, but they had to be in the building, and they had to find them.

"Hyunjin!"

She halted, her hand instinctively reaching for Heejin's. She looked back at Hyunjin, eyes widened in her face.

"Let's finish this once and for all," Jinyoung's voice echoed in the walls, like it was inside Hyunjin's brain alone, but she knew Heejin could listen to it as well.

"Then fight me!" Hyunjin shouted back, hoping her voice would reach him, wherever he was. "Or are you gonna run away like a coward again?!"

His wicked laugh sent chills down Hyunjin's arms. "But isn't it fun to play hide and seek?"

Hyunjin clenched her jaw, flaring her nostrils with a loud exhale. "I'm gonna do a lot more than break your nose this time!"

She let the anger fuel her limbs, dashing a couple more levels up, dragging Heejin with her.

"It can be an ambush, just like the other time!" Heejin said, trying to stop her.

"I'm not alone now." And finally, his scent reached Hyunjin's nose. "Found him. We're fighting him together this time. Prepare yourself, he's really strong."

Heejin drew her eyebrows together and nodded before following Hyunjin. His scent grew stronger, a few levels higher, to their right, down the corridor, and without stopping or hesitating, Hyunjin kicked the door of a room to their left.

Jinyoung sat, a leg crossed over the other, hands together on his lap, and his emerald eyes on. "You found me pretty quick! Faster than when I ran with your cute girlfriend."

"Shut up!" Hyunjin didn't waste one more second and lunged at him, but faster than a blink of an eye, he vanished, and a hit on the back of her neck sent her to the ground.

"Were you always this weak?" Jinyoung mocked.

Hissing with the pain, Hyunjin stumbled to get on her feet, her vision blurry. Heejin tried to dodge his attacks, but she wasn't fast enough, and Jinyoung got a hold on her hair, again holding Heejin above the floor, like she was a ragged doll, her blades falling to the floor, and he kicked them away.

"What was your name again, Heejin? You were sired through my blood. I expected you to be a lot stronger. What a disappointment." Jinyoung shook his head, clicking his tongue. "I don't think you heard me last time. You were asleep, or something. But I promised your girlfriend I'd give you an eternity without her, and I'm a man of my word."

Heejin thrashed, her features contorting in pain. Instead of dashing to him again, Hyunjin pointed her gun at him, but once again he was faster and held his abnormally long, silvery claws at Heejin's neck.

"I would advise you to lower you gun," he said, the tip of his claws daring to touch her skin, and small red dots appeared on her skin. "Do you think I'm stupid? No way I'd come unprepared again."

Hyunjin pulled the trigger, surprising him and making him let go of Heejin so he could dodge. Heejin's body hit the floor, and Jinyoung was by Hyunjin's side again, but this time she expected it, and managed to avoid his nails at her chest.

"I'm done playing with you," he said, throwing blow after blow, and all Hyunjin focused on was dodging, because one wrong move, and she would be done for.

"Me too," Hyunjin said, ducking and finding that opening to kick his leg hard enough to send him down to the floor.

Heejin was on her feet already, one blade in her hands. She ran, ready to stab him, but he jumped and dashed backwards, avoiding the blade just in time. Hyunjin raised her gun and pulled the trigger again, but he dodged, dashing sideways in such a speed it got her dizzy. Trying to find an opening to fire, she aimed everywhere around her, trying to predict where he would dash next. Heejin's back pressed against hers as she did the same, to try and find an opening to strike.

But it seemed he only became faster and faster, like he was gaining energy and momentum to attack them any second now.

And it came from above, completely unavoidable - each of his hands in their heads, pushing their bodies down to the floor with abysmal strength. The floor collapsed under their bodies, the three falling to the level below with the loud breaking of concrete and a cloud of dust.

Hyunjin's left side hit a broken, collapsed boulder. Her eyes shot open as she yelled in pain, feeling her bones cracking. She didn't know if she could get on her feet, but her body rose in the air still, with Jinyoung's strong hand around her neck, the tip of his silver claws wanting to rip , making blood run down her skin. She could see through her fogged eyes Heejin hanging in his other hand, exactly the same way.

He panted, blood straining his forehead, but still, he smiled. "I'll admit, you're a worthy opponent, after all."

He was right. Hyunjin was strong, and she refused to die right there. Fighting through the unbearable pain, she gripped on his arm and used it to gain balance, propelling her body to kick right under his chin as strong as she could. It was enough for him to lose balance and fall back, letting go of her and Heejin. She screamed again when her body hit the collapsed floor, and the act of breathing hurt more than anything.

"You broke my nose last time. For each time you hurt me, I'll break another one of your bones before I actually kill you," Jinyoung said, massaging his chin as he got on his feet again. "And make you watch your little girlfriend suffer first. But of course, I have no intention of killing her."

Heejin yelped, struggling to stand up. Hyunjin's gun had escaped her grip, and she didn't know where it had landed. It could very much be under that pile of rocks and debris, just like Heejin's blades. She stood, face to face with Jinyoung, with nothing to fight back.

Then she remembered... the knife hidden in her boot.

Slowly, he walked towards Heejin, smirking more and more, moving his fingers back and forth, claws clinking against each other.

She had to act, fast. She had to move, to fight through the pain. Hyunjin scrambled with her hands on the ground, looking for a small sized pebble. Finding one, she rubbed it, and stuffed it inside , ignoring the horrid, earthy taste it left on her tongue. She reached for the knife, getting a good hold on it. She only had one attempt at what she wanted to do.

Instead of trying to stand completely, she got on one knee, eyes fixed on him. Positioning herself as if she was about to start running, and with the biggest impulse she could muster strength, she launched forward.

Jinyoung twisted his body, avoiding Hyunjin, and chuckled. "You're so predictable, Hyunjin. But I admire your tenacity."

Hyunjin charged at him again, and this time, he didn't dodge. He grabbed Hyunjin's arms, stopping her in place, but that was exactly what she wanted. Holding the pebble between her teeth, she spat it forward, hitting Jinyoung right at his eye. He growled, setting Hyunjin free and taking his hand to his face. Hyunjin lunged at him, grabbing him from behind, under his arms and gripping on his forearms with all her might, locking them in place.

"Look down, Heejin!" Hyunjin said before opening and sinking her long fangs into his shoulder, making him yell in pain once again. "Now!"

Hyunjin tried to look up, at Heejin finally realizing the knife was at her feet. She grabbed it, looking ahead at Jinyoung, unable to move.

Taking a step forward and swinging her arm, the knife flew from Heejin's hand, aiming right at Jinyoung's chest.

Hyunjin closed her eyes, frowning, as if bracing for the knife herself. Instead, she heard a soft, wet gush, and a short inhale. As the seconds ticked, Hyunjin's hands started gripping the air, her teeth biting onto nothing. She dropped on her knees, her front hitting the ground.

"We did it..." Hyunjin mumbled, a weak smile appearing in her lips. "Seems like... my Goddess helped me, after all."

"H-Hyunjin!" Heejin called, stumbling on her way to her. Hands grabbed Hyunjin, rotating her body into Heejin's lap. "Hyunjin, please!"

"I'm alive," Hyunjin said with an exhale, opening her eyes to look at Heejin's teary ones. "I'm gonna heal."

Sobbing, Heejin brought Hyunjin closer, crying into her chest.

"We did it, don't cry." Hyunjin reached for Heejin's hand cupping her own cheek.

"You're hurt! W-What am I supposed to do?"

"Nothing." Hyunjin's breathing was stabilizing, and it hurt less with each inhale. "I just need a couple minutes. Lay me down on a flat surface."

Heejin cleared her eyes and stood up, holding Hyunjin in her arms. Looking around at the destroyed room, she found a spot where Hyunjin's body fit. Carefully, she laid her down, squatting next to her.

"Thank you." Hyunjin gave her a small smile. "Goddess, this really hurt like a ."

"You broke your ribs!" Heejin frowned.

"They're healing already." She could literally feel the bones joining together, and it still hurt. "Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm fine. I just... felt so weird when he died. I felt dizzy and like something was ripping away from my body, just like you described it."

"He was your sire. His blood ran in your veins."

"Am I gonna be fine?"

"Yeah, nothing's gonna happen to you. Do us a favor, please, and look for our weapons. We still need them."

Heejin found one of her blades and Hyunjin's knife. But in order to find her other blade and Hyunjin's gun, she had to grab and move rocks away. Hyunjin laid down, resting, observing Heejin with amusement, her toned arms flexing as she lifted boulders her size, and it made her healing much easier.

"Found it!" Heejin said, reaching under a big boulder and coming back with her gun.

"You're amazing," Hyunjin said. "And you did say you're also great with knives."

"It was thanks to you. Your plan, how did you even-"

"We killed him together." Hyunjin grabbed her hand, bringing it to her lips. "We did it."

Heejin sighed. "Should I go get someone else?"

"No, we need to get to Jaebum." Hyunjin sat up with some difficulty.

"Are you okay already?"

"Good enough to move. We can't waste much more time."

With Heejin's help, she got up on her feet. There was still a constant pain at her left side, but nothing she couldn't bear with. Her neck still pulsed from where Jinyoung had pricked with his silver claws, and before they left the room, Hyunjin picked them up from the pile of ash he had become.

"Gotta admit, this looks pretty nice." Hyunjin wore them in her fingers, but removed them and stuffed them inside her jacket pocket. "Let's go, we need to find Jaebum."

---

A/N: I. LOVE. THIS. FIGHT. 

I wonder who made that shot.......... :)))

I don't think this is a spoiler but, yeah, final FINAL BATTLE NEXT CHAPTER

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic
Ko-Fi -  ko-fi.com/itzloonatic