The safest option

When Blood Meets Silver

"They're planning to attack the Silver Blades on the next new moon."

A collective gasped echoed in the room.

"The headquarters?" Chaewon had a hand over her hanged mouth.

"If you intend on doing something about it, please be safe," Jungeun read the last sentence.

A pang hurt Hyunjin's chest. "The next new moon is in two weeks."

"What are we going to do with this information?" Hyejoo asked.

"Something. Anything at all." Hyunjin moved in her seat, a mix of emotions flowing through her veins. "It's a great opportunity for us to attack. While they're fighting each other, we'll do our job and look for Jinyoung and Jaebum."

"Are they even gonna be there?" Chaewon asked, her hand grasping Hyejoo's.

"The slayers attacked them. They want to do the same. This is beyond just surviving the slayers. It's revenge. They will be there." Hyunjin balled her fists, their faces popping up in her mind.

"But what about the slayers?" Heejin said, looking around with a dropped chin. "We can't just know about the attack and not do something about it."

"But we are doing something about it," Hyunjin said.

"We are, but at what cost? Are we just going to let all those slayers die in combat when we could warn them and prevent that from happening?"

Hyunjin shrugged. Heejin stared at her, dumbfounded, and scoffed. "You can't be serious."

"After what they did to you? To you three? Should I really care?"

"There are still people I consider family there! I know we were attacked, but none of them even knew us properly. You know what Vivi said, she was the one giving the order, and she punished those who went against it. They're not all the same."

Hyunjin crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. "Sure."

Heejin looked around. "What about you, guys? Do you really want to live with the thought that we could have saved people from dying pointlessly?"

Hyejoo avoided her eyes.

"I think we should tell them," Chaewon said, her voice lower than it normally sounded.

"Who are we to them now? A bunch of vampires and two traitors. You can't count on them being open-minded. They wouldn't listen, and then we would be the ones to die pointlessly," Hyunjin spat, shaking her head.

"Let's ask Yerim to tell them, then!" Heejin said.

"What? No!" Hyejoo snapped her head to her. "And how would she explain where she got that information?"

"Yes, let's not get Yerim involved in this," Jiwoo said.

Silence filled in the room for the next seconds, no one daring to look up from their laps. Heejin stood up. "I'm sorry, but I can't just sit here and think only about myself."

Hyunjin grabbed her hand before she could storm away. "Wait." She sighed. "What were you even thinking of doing? Did you think you could just walk in there and talk to them?"

Heejin dropped to the couch again. "Maybe. We could go to the headquarters and talk with Yves."

Instinctively, Hyunjin peeked at Hyejoo, at her balled fists.

"Sooyoung?" Hyejoo scoffed. "Out of all people? You're out of your mind."

"She stood by Vivi's opinion. If I could, I would speak directly to Vivi, but I'm not a high rank, like Yves is. If we can talk to her, get her to listen to us, she could talk to Vivi. They could prepare for the attack, and we would still do our part, be there and kill Jaebum."

Hyunjin stared back at Heejin's eyes, at how they pleaded at her.

"I agree," Jungeun spoke at last, but earned everyone's attention. She met Hyunjin's eyes and continued. "Even thinking strategically, we would always be at a huge disadvantage. There are a lot of vampires in the Blood Alliance, and Yeonjun said they're recruiting even more. Just like there are tons of slayers in the headquarters. Let's not forget we're not exactly friendly with any of those factions. That won't be a small fight. If we attack while everything is happening, the slayers are going to attack us as well, because they don't care if we are from the Blood Alliance or not. We're just vampires. There's no way we can sneak in the battle without being noticed and go straight for Jaebum or Jinyoung if they're fighting too. We are extremely outnumbered."

Jiwoo had hanging open. "Wow, Lippie, you really think of everything."

"I understand how much you want to end this and how much you want to see Jaebum dead, but if you weigh both options, I would say trying to sneak into the fight is the riskier one. Our best bet is try and warn the slayers and hope to earn their favor," Jungeun added.

All eyes were on Hyunjin now. "Okay, I admit you're right about the sneaking into the fight bit. But I wouldn't exactly call risking death with the slayers anything close to a good option."

"I stand by what I said. No matter what happened, I don't think they would attack us first thing if we showed up," Heejin said. "Me and Chaewon. We're still over Vivi's protection, they know what happens to them if they go against it. They would know if we came back, we would likely have a pretty solid reason."

"Sure, they won't try to attack us in the headquarters, but I think we've already seen what can happen outside of them, when they're not being watched." Hyejoo snickered. "Have you forgotten why we had to move here? Even if we get out of there unharmed, we'll just call more attention to ourselves."

Heejin sighed. "You're not helping."

"I think we all know what the slayers are capable of. I just can't agree with a plan that relies on goodwill and common sense that they don't seem to have."

"Well, do you have any other ideas? Maybe try contributing with solutions instead of problems?"

Chaewon held her hands. "It's our best chance. We have to take it."

Hyejoo clenched her jaw, huffing through her nose. She jumped on her feet and rushed to the door. "I'm gonna go get some air." She stormed outside, Chaewon's worried eyes following her.

Hyunjin let her back hit the couch with a dragged sigh. "Jungeun, try and get more details about the attack with Yeonjun. We don't need to have a plan this exact instant. We can think it through after we all calm down a bit."

"What are we supposed to do now?" Chaewon asked.

"Rest."

"Is Hyejoo okay?" Jiwoo asked.

"She'll be back when she feels better. I guess this is especially hard for her because of her sister."

Selene jumped to the armrest and meowed at Hyunjin. She smiled and patted her lap, and the black cat followed her command, laying down there while receiving scratches alongside her back.

"I'm gonna go to my room." Chaewon got on her feet and rushed upstairs.

"It's almost dinner time," Hyunjin said.

"I'm not hungry," Chaewon said before disappearing into the second floor corridor.

"I'm gonna take a shower." It was Heejin's turn to stand up and go upstairs.

Hyunjin dropped her head back until it hit the back of the couch and stared at the high, white ceiling.

An attack in two weeks.

An opportunity for both her missions.

It seemed so far away, yet, so close. She closed her eyes, letting her mind fantasize about putting a bullet through Jaebum's chest, and an end to everything. It seemed so easy in her mind. Stay low, stay hidden, and the second her eyes found him in the middle of the battlefield, her finger would pull the trigger.

But too soon, too many other images flashed in her mind. Of her friends getting lost in the middle of the battle, of herself failing, of anyone getting hurt.

Of Heejin locked up. A flashback Hyunjin would give everything not to see happening again.

Jungeun was right. It was too dangerous for them to try and attack alone. They were six against who knew how many. She couldn't risk it. She couldn't risk failure and getting anyone else hurt.

She grabbed Selene and laid her on the couch, earning a meow, and stood up. "I'm gonna go to my room for a bit as well before dinner."

Jiwoo, now cuddling and in silence as Jungeun was fixed on her phone, nodded at her as she made her way upstairs. The shower wasn't running, but still, Hyunjin knocked on the door before stepping inside.

Heejin sat on the bed, head low and hands still as they held the guitar on her lap. Hyunjin smiled and sat in front of her. "I arrived at a good time."

"I wanted to play to clear my head, but I can't even focus on it."

"You were right," Hyunjin said, and Heejin raised her head to face her. "We should try and warn them."

Heejin's eyes widened for a second. "Really?"

Hyunjin nodded, tucking a loose strand of hair behind Heejin's ear, resting her hand on her cheek next. "I was only thinking about myself and my objective. I was selfish. What matters the most is yours and everyone's safety here. And Jungeun was right. I'm glad she is so smart and rational, and thinks things from a different perspective than me."

Heejin put the guitar aside, scooted closer, and kissed her lips. "Thank you, Hyunjin. If they don't believe us, or don't even want to hear us, that's on them. But I think warning them is the right thing to do, both for them, and for us. Imagine they listen to us and give us a chance! Wouldn't it be amazing to fight with so many people on our side? We could actually win once and for all."

Hyunjin smiled, caressing her cheek. "Yes, you are right, even though I highly doubt that everyone at the Silver Blades would suddenly believe and fight alongside two traitors and a bunch of vampires."

With a sigh, Heejin dropped her head. "I know, I was just... dreaming out loud, I guess. Why can't they see we're on the same side? That we are not the bad guys here, but the Blood Alliance? It's so frustrating."

Hyunjin brought Heejin's face closer to plant a long and caring kiss on her forehead. "I know. For now, let's just hope they listen to you and Chaewon."

"If we manage to talk to Yves, I'm sure she will at least give us a chance to talk."

"You’re really close to her, right?"

"I am. She's like an older sister. I pretended it didn't hurt when she turned her back on me when I protected you, but it did ing hurt. She saved me, protected me, trained me. I wonder how she feels about me now. If she hates me, despises me, or misses me."

Hyunjin grabbed her hands, squeezed them, and brought them to her lips. "I can't possibly know. But just like you changed, maybe she changed. I'm sure she also thinks of you like a little sister, so that means she lost two sisters that night. I would like to believe she's not heartless and that she actually misses you."

"How can you say that knowing she..." But Heejin didn't finish her sentence.

"Because people change, people grow. I used to do the same thing as she did. I didn't know any better, you didn't know any better, she didn't know any better. But maybe she does now."

A sparkle twinkled in the corner of Heejin's eye. "You're amazing, did you know that?"

Hyunjin shrugged, wiping the tear away before it could fall. "I've been told."

"Thank you, for real. We can do this, Hyunjin."

"We can. Now, wanna play me something and sing for me?"

With a kiss first, Heejin grabbed the guitar again and cleared .

Hyejoo had come back an hour later, and Chaewon almost threw the girl to the floor from how hard she jumped to her the second she stepped inside. Hyunjin fetched a bottle and threw it into the air, with it falling swiftly into Hyejoo's hands.

"Thanks," she mumbled, her silver eyes shining under the dim light of the room, as Jungeun and Jiwoo watched something on the TV.

"Are you feeling better?" Jiwoo asked.

After chugging down half of the bottle, Hyejoo nodded. "Yeah. So, what was the final decision?"

No one said a word, only exchanged looks between themselves, waiting for someone to step in.

"I'm gonna grab my gun. Go grab your knuckles." Hyunjin headed upstairs.

"Best thing you said all day." Hyejoo followed her.

With a knock, Hyunjin opened the door to her room.

"Hyejoo's back," she said, going straight to the nightstand, taking her gun from the drawer and sticking it in her jeans.

"How is she? You're going out hunting with her?" Heejin asked.

Hyunjin sat on the bed and fetched her combat boots from under the bed, changing from her comfy slippers. "Yeah. I think she's fine, but I wanna talk to her about our decision."

Heejin got on her feet and stood in front of Hyunjin, pulling her head into her chest. "She'll understand."

Hyunjin hugged her around her thighs, closing her eyes to Heejin's gentle touch on her hair. "Yeah. I'll be back before you know it. And remember what you have to do while I'm away."

With a chuckle, Heejin pulled away. "Yes, I will draw something."

"Good." Hyunjin stood up, booped Heejin's nose, and took her leather jacket from the wardrobe.

"Be safe."

"I will." Hyunjin held her cheeks and kissed her lips before she left the room, all ready for the hunt.

Hyejoo was already by the door, leaning against the wall with Chaewon glued to her again.

"Ready?" Hyunjin asked as she walked down the stairs.

"Yes."

"Please be careful!" Chaewon whined.

"I always am." Hyejoo kissed her forehead, and Chaewon pulled away, her cheeks going redder.

"We'll be back later," Hyunjin said before opening the front door.

"See you later, have fun!" Jiwoo waved at them.

"Any place in mind?" Hyunjin asked, hopping on Bumblebee.

"It's not like we're going for a walk, but I must admit I enjoy riding the motorcycle with you. So, if you wanna explore a bit more and maybe find some place we can search, go ahead."

Hyunjin chucked. "Hop on, then."

Always paying attention to smells, Hyunjin drove further that night, to the other side of the city, where she stopped near a big park, with trees that extended a few blocks further.

They walked in silence for a bit, diving deeper into the trees. Maybe Hyunjin was trying to find the best way to tell her, or the right time, but Hyejoo talked first.

"We're gonna warn them, right?"

"Yes."

Hyejoo, who led the way, stopped and turned back, her blank face unreadable. "Okay."

Hyunjin irked an eyebrow. "Is that all?"

"You're the leader, you know what's best. Or, at least I hope you do."

Hyunjin cracked a chuckle. "Honestly, same."

Hyejoo resumed the walk, and Hyunjin walked beside her now. "You really think it's the best thing to do?"

"I don't know." Hyunjin sighed. "We don't have many options, anyway. Between the two we had, and sounding as weird as it does, it still is the safest option. The worst that can happen is they don't listen to us, but that's on them. We will act on it no matter what."

"You really listened to Heejin."

"Well, she was right. And Jungeun was right as well. To fight two enemies at once would have been a death wish."

"Yeah, but I meant like, what's with you and Heejin? We all heard it, you know."

"I know, you can tease me if you wanna."

"I just want to understand what's going on between you two."

"We... are a bit of a thing."

Hyejoo snorted. "That's all?"

"We care a lot about each other and all, you know."

"So, you like her."

Looking up at the night sky, the canopy of trees hid all its beauty, the moon barely showing up between the foliage. "Do I?"

"Don't ask me!"

"We've known each other for only a month, I think it's too early to talk about those feelings. But now that we're talking about this, how about Chaewon?"

"What about her?"

"Did I misunderstand?" Hyunjin frowned.

Hyejoo focused on the ground, kicking a pebble. "You didn't."

"Then, why aren't you together?"

"Because she doesn't feel the same as I do."

"How do you know? You confessed to her?"

"Of course not!"

Hyunjin almost facepalmed. "Then, you're just assuming she doesn't. She's really as obvious as you are."

"What do you mean?"

"I can tell you literally can't live without each other."

Hyejoo halted, and Hyunjin did the same, turning back to the girl.

"I love her, Hyunjin." Hyejoo kept staring down. "It's the first time I'm saying this to anyone. I've loved her for years, and I'm so scared that anything happens to her. That's why I was so against this plan. I know it's selfish, but just thinking about her going straight to the Silver Blades gives me panic."

Hyunjin took a step closer and laid her hands on her shoulders, giving them a little squeeze. "I know. I'm terrified that something happens to Heejin as well. But still, it's safer for them to go there than getting into a fight that has a lot more chances of putting us all in danger. Plus, we really have to learn to give them more credit. I think, deep down, that they're very skilled fighters and completely capable of fending for themselves."

Hyejoo raised her head and gave her a small smile. "You're right. Let's get back to our mission for tonight?"

"Lead the way."

---

A/N: Awn, Hyejoo dsgibsdsdginbshsdha okay more fluff for the next chapter before the action beginssssssss

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic
Ko-Fi -  ko-fi.com/itzloonatic