Your eyes

When Blood Meets Silver

 

About an hour later, as expected, Jinsol’s car slowed down. Hyunjin stopped Bumblebee and watched as Jiwoo got off the car and went to open the gate to the private property at the end of the road, past the other houses. Jinsol started the car again, and Hyunjin followed through the dirt road with trees surrounding the area. Quite similar to Hyunjin’s place, but Jiwoo’s house was even bigger, and a beautiful piece of modern architecture.

“Is this a mansion?” Hyejoo asked as she got off Jinsol’s car.

Jiwoo shook her head. “No, no, but there is enough space for everyone, so, don’t worry!”

“We’re certainly not,” Chaewon said.

Hyunjin hopped off and took off her helmet, turning to Heejin. She extended a hand and Heejin accepted the help to hop off as well.

“You okay?” Hyunjin asked.

“Y-Yeah.”

Hyunjin irked an eyebrow. “Was the ride bad? I tried to drive as careful as I could.”

“It was okay.”

“Are you scared of motorbikes?”

“Not that I’m scared, but I’ve never been very fond of them.”

“You could have said so, and I would ask someone else to come with me-”

“No! No, really, it’s fine.”

“Is your arm okay?”

“Yeah, I wasn’t really moving it.”

“Hyunjin, help me carry our stuff inside, please,” Jungeun called.

“Going,” Hyunjin answered. "Did Selene give you a hard time?"

"She calmed down a bit after!" Jiwoo said. "I'm gonna go ahead to open the door and let them out."

Jiwoo came back after to carry her things, while the others followed. Wows filled the room as they stepped inside, one after the other, all heads turning to take a look around. It was a spacious living room, the white walls and wooden floor giving off a cozy and inviting vibe. And even though no one had lived there for a while, it didn't look too dirty, and it smelled like lavender. Diana and Selene wandered around, exploring the whole space.

A big TV sat right on the wall ahead, above it a modern fireplace, and around it, three leather, black couches. At the left side, against the wall, there was a staircase leading to the second floor, and the kitchen, under the second floor’s balcony.

“I've been here a couple weeks ago to clean the house, so it's probably not too dusty, but I'm sorry if it is! I can clean everything tomorrow," Jiwoo said.

"We'll help you, don't worry," Hyejoo said.

"Thank you! You have a toilet behind the kitchen, and the rooms are on the upper floor," Jiwoo said. “There’s my room, the used-to-be-my-parents' room, that now is empty, except for the bed and basic furniture, and the office. We can set a mattress on the floor of the office, and we all have a bed to sleep. The house is pretty much empty since my mom and dad died.”

“It’s beautiful,” Jinsol was still in awe.

“It was my dad who designed it,” Jiwoo said, and everyone’s attention shifted to her. “He was an architect, and he always had a deep love for western architecture.”

“And he just... left the house he did himself?” Heejin asked.

“I guess this house brought him lots of memories he couldn’t live with. Maybe some of me, but of my mom especially.”

Silence followed, as if no one knew how to answer.

“Don’t look so sad, it’s alright, everyone! They're together again, somewhere happy.” Jiwoo smiled. “Let’s go upstairs and choose the rooms.”

They followed Jiwoo upstairs, through the corridor.

“The door at the end is a big bathroom, here’s the office, then my room, and on this side, the suite.”

“The big room’s a suite?!” Jungeun asked.

“Yes, but we’re staying in my room,” Jiwoo answered, and Jungeun pouted. “Don’t make that face, I miss it.”

“We can stay in the office, we've already been sleeping on the floor lately anyway,” Hyejoo said, and Chaewon nodded in agreement.

“Alright, so Hyunjin and Heejin stay in the big room.”

“You sure you don’t want to stay there?” Hyunjin asked.

“Yeah. Also, the bed in my room is smaller, but it’s fine for me and Jungeun.” Jiwoo yanked on her arm, and Jungeun rolled her eyes. “What, do you prefer to sleep on the couch?”

“I didn’t say anything!”

“But I saw that!”

While they kept bickering, Hyunjin peeked at Heejin, standing beside her, and the girl had this small smile on her lips.

“Alright, go on, unpack, feel at home, and I’ll go get your mattress,” Jiwoo said.

“I’ll help you with it.” Jinsol followed her with Jungeun.

Hyunjin opened the door to her new room. Wooden floor, like the rest of the upper floor, white walls--

Hyunjin let out a screech, so loud it echoed in the whole house, as she turned and threw herself at Heejin, shutting her eyes down and hiding her face in her neck.

“H-Hyunjin?” Heejin gasped.

“What happened?” Jinsol’s voice sounded in the hallway, alongside hurried steps.

There were a few seconds of silence, Hyunjin never letting go.

“Oh, ,” Jinsol mumbled. “Someone get that cockroach out of here in this instant.”

Hyunjin yelped, her body jerking, and Heejin’s right arm circled around her torso.

“A cockroach? All this fuss because of that?” Hyejoo said.

“And don’t make fun of it,” Jinsol said.

“I’m not, Hyunjin just scared the out of me. I’ll take care of it.”

A few more moments later, a hand laid on Hyunjin’s shoulder.

“It’s gone, Hyunjin,” Jinsol said near her ear.

Slowly, Hyunjin came out from her safe place, looking around, and seeing all eyes on her, her cheeks grew warmer.

“Are you okay?” Jiwoo asked, worry transparent in her features.

“Y-Yeah. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare anyone. I just...”

“It’s okay, everyone has weaknesses. Even you, apparently,” Jungeun said.

“Goddess, this is embarrassing.” Hyunjin dropped her head. “Thank you, Hyejoo.”

“No problem, I just grabbed it and threw it out the window.”

Hyunjin faced Hyejoo, her eyes big and terror all over her face. “You g-grabbed it?”

Chaewon chuckled. “I know, right.”

“Alright, everyone, go back to what you were doing.” Jinsol clapped her hands, walking out the room with the others following, Hyejoo nodding at Hyunjin before closing the door behind her.

“I’m sorry, I must have scared you a lot,” Hyunjin said.

“You kinda did, but it’s okay. I just never imagined you would... be afraid of bugs.”

“It’s not bugs, it’s those...” A shiver ran from her head to her toes. “I’m fine with any other bugs, really. B-But what if there are others around?”

“Let me check the room and the bathroom.” Heejin went on ahead, scanning the walls, inside the wall wardrobe, the ceiling, and under the bed meticulously. “Nothing. You’re fine.”

Hyunjin pouted. “Don’t tease me, please.”

“I won’t.” Heejin smiled at her. “I’ll let you know what I’m afraid so you won’t feel bad, but you need to promise you won’t laugh.”

“Okay, I won’t.”

“R-Rats.”

Hyunjin forced her lips to stay in a thin line.

“You’re laughing!” Heejin frowned.

“I’m sorry, it’s just because I guess you were really lucky Diana hasn’t brought any rats home while you were there.”

“Why would she do that?!”

“She’s a cat, you know. She and Selene sometimes go out and come back home with a rat or a small bird.”

Terror flashed in Heejin’s face. "They won't do that now, right?"

Hyunjin gave up on trying not to laugh. "No, I don't intend on letting them out here."

Heejin sighed in relieve, dropping to the bed. “Okay, good. Anyway, you should go check the bathroom and all. This room is pretty nice.”

Hyunjin nodded and went on ahead, peeking at the small, but modern bathroom, and she didn’t quite know how to feel, knowing that she would be sharing it only with Heejin.

“We’re lucky we have such a nice place to stay, despite everything,” Hyunjin said.

“Yeah.”

The following silence was a bit awkward, but Hyunjin ignored it and moved to unpack a few things before Jiwoo called them down to eat, since they hadn’t yet.

“It’s getting late and I still have to drive back,” Jinsol said after finishing her food. “I should get going.”

“Of course. Thank you so much for all the help, Jinsol.” Jiwoo pulled her in for a hug.

“I’m glad I could help. I’ll visit at least once a week, and let’s keep in touch. Good night, everyone.”

“I’ll walk you out.” Hyunjin stood up, and walked with her as they bid their goodbyes.

They stood by Jinsol’s car, and before saying anything, Hyunjin hugged her.

“Feeling better?” Jinsol asked.

“I don’t know. But I’ll be fine.”

“Of course you will. You’ll have a great night of sleep with Heejin.”

“Yes.”

Jinsol pulled away, widened eyes at her.

“What?” Hyunjin frowned. “We will sleep well. That’s what I mean.”

Jinsol shook her head with a chuckle. “I’ll be back next weekend, and I’ll make sure to bring more blood.”

“Thank you. Can I ask you to bring something else?” Hyunjin asked, and Jinsol nodded. “My brother’s guitar.”

Jinsol smiled. “Alright, I will.”

“You won’t ask what for?”

“Why would I? It’s for Heejin, I know.”

“How do you know?”

“Chaewon mentioned she couldn’t bring her guitar, and we all heard someone playing it while we were packing. And obviously, you can't play that well, can you?”

Red painted Hyunjin’s cheeks.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tease you. I’m gonna go now. Don’t miss me too much.”

Hyunjin clicked her tongue. “You’ll be the one running to hug me next week.”

“That’s right.” Jinsol pinched her cheek, then planted a long kiss there. “Stay well.”

“You too.”

Hyunjin waited for her to turn the engine on and drive away before going back inside, where everyone moved to sit on the couches.

“How’s everyone feeling?” Hyunjin asked.

“Tired,” Hyejoo leaned back on the couch.

“Maybe it’s best if we go and rest for today. It was... a long day. We’ll talk tomorrow after we’re well rested.”

Agreeing, they headed upstairs to their respective rooms after bidding good night. Hyunjin desperately wanted a shower, so after making sure Heejin didn’t want to go first, she headed to the bathroom.

After closing the door, her reflex on the mirror greeted her. She approached, eyes fixed on her new scar. Her fingers ghosted over it, and for a second, she could feel Heejin’s lips pressed against it. It had felt good. Too good for Hyunjin’s own sake, and now she had to bear with the memory, alongside others that decided to join it and swarm her mind as she showered.

Putting on her usual comfy sleeping bra and some shorts, she returned to the bedroom. Heejin sat on the bed, phone in hand.

“You can go now,” Hyunjin said.

Heejin went on and after fetching her earphones from her bag, Hyunjin walked to the window. The moon was still there, further up in the night sky. Plugging her earphones, she played Moonlight Sonata, wishing she could play it on the piano herself instead.

A couple minutes after, the bathroom door opened.

“That was fast,” Hyunjin said, turning, but Heejin was still in the same clothes, her right arm holding on her left. She removed her earphones and took a step closer. “Is everything alright?”

“I... I tried to take off my t-shirt, but I can’t raise my left arm.”

Heat crawled under Hyunjin’s cheeks that same second. “Oh. D-Do you need help?”

Heejin nodded, eyes down on the floor. Hyunjin walked over her, repeating to herself in her mind that she was only helping her.

“Okay, uhm, raise your right arm,” Hyunjin said, and Heejin complied.

Hyunjin shouldn’t hesitate. She shouldn't make things awkward and even more embarrassing, so she reached for the hem of Heejin’s t-shirt and pulled it up. And she tried, Hyunjin swore she tried not to stare at the scars that marked Heejin's chest, and the abs adorning her stomach, but for a couple seconds, that was all she could do, until she remembered what she was supposed to do.

“Slide your right arm in.” Hyunjin pulled the t-shirt up towards Heejin’s right side, and her arm slid in with some effort. Then, Hyunjin swung it over Heejin’s head, and finally, slid it down her left arm.

“T-Thank you, and I’m sorry.” Heejin finally raised her head. “Why are your eyes... active?”

“What?” Hyunjin panicked, taking a step back. “A-Are they?” She turned, fetching for her phone, and taking a look at herself, indeed, her yellow eyes shone.

“Are you still hungry?”

Not the correct word.

“No, it was... your arm, I smelled a bit of blood.”

“Oh.” Heejin looked at her left arm. “Maybe I moved it too much. I’m sorry.”

“No, I am sorry, I don’t wanna scare you.”

“Hyunjin,” she called, her voice ever so soft, and a hand grabbed hers, making Hyunjin turn again. “I’m not scared of you. Don’t feel bad if your eyes activate, or your fangs grow if you smell blood.”

Hyunjin smiled. “I’ll try.”

“Thanks again for the help, I think I can... finish undressing on my own now.”

“Y-Yeah, absolutely.”

Without another word, Heejin turned, and the bathroom door closed after her.

Hyunjin closed her eyes and let her body drop to the bed, sighing. She couldn’t believe that had just happened. She didn’t even feel her eyes shift. She felt bad for lying, but she couldn’t just tell Heejin 'Oh, don't worry, it's not that I'm gonna go on bloodlust. It's just the old, regular kind of lust.'

Hyunjin jumped out of bed and rushed to the window, the breeze hitting her face. She put on her earphones again and resumed the song, pushing what just had happened and the image of Heejin's torso in only her bra to the back of her mind.

But what she couldn't stop thinking about were the scars on her chest. She didn't have enough time to take a proper look at it, but she could only guess it had been from a vampire.

By the time the bathroom door opened again, Hyunjin was feeling calmer, still listening to slow piano songs and staring ahead at the sky. But as she turned and her eyes scanned Heejin from head to toe, her sleeping clothes matching hers, she flared her nostrils.

“Aren’t you sleepy?” Heejin asked, pushing the blanket away and lying down under the thin sheet.

Hyunjin closed the window and laid down as well, facing her. “I’m exhausted. Is your arm okay?”

“Yes, it doesn’t hurt if I don't move recklessly. But I... I can’t train now.”

“Why are you worried about that now?” Hyunjin’s hand moved on its own to rest on the side of Heejin's head, lightly scratching the roots of her silky hair. “Let’s all focus on recovering now, both physically and mentally. Today took a toll on all of us. We should and will take some time to rest.”

“Can we afford to do that?”

“We don’t even have a plan. And neither you or Chaewon will fight injured.”

Heejin sighed.

“I know you’re worried. I am worried, for sure the others are worried. But there’s literally nothing we can do right now, so, instead of worrying, let’s focus on ourselves and on our recovery." Hyunjin kept on caressing her hair.

Heejin nodded, and with a single look, Hyunjin knew what she wanted. She smiled, opening her arms, and Heejin approached, resting her head on her shoulder. Hyunjin laid her hand on her left arm, below her injury.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t do anything to stop you from getting hurt,” Hyunjin whispered, rubbing her arm with her thumb.

“That hurts.”

“S-Sorry.” Hyunjin retracted her hand.

“Not that, that felt nice. I mean, you constantly taking responsibility.”

Her hand lowered until it softly rested on her arm again, and she sighed.

“A hard request, but I promise I’ll try.”

“Good.”

Silence filled the room, but Hyunjin wanted to break it.

"Heejin?"

"Hm?"

"Can I ask you about your scar? I'm sorry, I couldn't help but notice it."

Instead of an answer, Heejin sat up, the sheet falling down her arms. Hyunjin widened her eyes, praying to the moon they wouldn't activate again, because good Goddess, Heejin was breath taking.

Heejin looked down at her own chest where the scar, comprised of four thin lines, marked her skin from her left collarbone to the middle of her chest.

"Vampire," Heejin said. "One of my first missions. He was really strong, too strong for a rookie slayer like me at the time. I was reckless, I thought I could take him on by myself. Hyejoo finished him instantly after she saw him do this."

Hyunjin sat up as well, eyes still fixed on her scar, and she had to fight the urge to touch it. But she wouldn't fight if Heejin was the one grabbing her hand and taking it there. Her fingers hovered over the thin slashes, and when they finally pressed against the roughness of the scar, Hyunjin gulped.

"Hyunjin... your eyes. Did you smell blood again?" Heejin looked at her left arm, but the cut was clean.

Hyunjin cursed on her mind, retracting her hand and clenching her jaw. "No. It was... Anger."

Heejin chuckled. "Do you understand now why I was angry that you got this new scar?" Her eyes focused on Hyunjin's neck.

"Yeah."

"I don't even remember I have them, it's okay."

"It's forever."

"Hey, I told you that, don't steal my poetic quotes. I was a slayer for a few years, it would be weird if I didn't have any battle scar."

"Just like Hyejoo's? On her arms?"

"Yes. She has a couple more on her stomach and waist. She had been a slayer before me, so, more fighting."

"What about Chaewon?"

"Well, if this one scars, it will be her first. She's not a close-range fighter, so she's a lot less likely than we are to get hurt. Her aim is so accurate she mostly manages to take them down before they even get a chance to notice her. If she can't, I guarantee Hyejoo will get to them before they get to her."

Hyunjin let her body drop to the bed again, eyes on the ceiling. "Let's hope none of us gets badly hurt again, then."

The bed creaked as Heejin laid down beside her. She raised Hyunjin's arm and laid her head on her shoulder like she always did, and apparently, didn't even ask for permission anymore.

"We won't."

Soon enough, Heejin’s breathing had slowed down, and carefully looking down, Hyunjin could see her eyes closed, and her peaceful sleeping expression on.

“Good night, Heejin,” Hyunjin whispered.

And closing her eyes, her face approached until her lips pressed against Heejin’s forehead in a tender kiss.

After a long discussion the next day, Hyunjin managed to convince everyone that for at least an entire week, they would focus on resting, especially Heejin and Chaewon.

But on that same night, when Hyunjin put on her leather jacket and combat boots, Heejin stopped her before she could leave.

“Where are you going?”

“Hunting.”

“You said we would rest this week.”

“I’m not injured, and hunting vampires is still my job. I’m somewhere I’ve never been, I bet there are dangerous vampires out there. Are there any slayers in this area?”

Heejin frowned. “There’s a small base in every district of the country, so I don’t think you should worry about that.”

“Going out for a walk?” Hyejoo asked, walking down the stairs.

“Hunting, actually.”

Hyejoo’s eyebrows rose. “And you weren’t gonna invite me?”

“Do you want to come?”

“Of course!”

Heejin sighed.

“I’m gonna ask Jiwoo and Jungeun if they want to come to.” Hyejoo turned, about to go upstairs again when Hyunjin grabbed her wrist.

“I don’t think it’s wise for four vampires to go hunting together. Let’s just go. Also, I can focus better on helping you if it's just the two of us. This is a great opportunity for you to train.”

“You said we shouldn’t be worried about training now!” Heejin stood up from the couch.

“And I’m not worried about it. But if we can put hunting and training together, it’s great.”

“What’s all this noise?” Jungeun asked from the second floor, Jiwoo and Chaewon peeking behind her.

“Hyunjin told us all to rest, and she’s going out to hunt with Hyejoo!” Heejin said.

“Hunt? But we have blood.”

“For vampires!”

“You what?!” Chaewon gasped, rushing to Hyejoo’s side.

Hyunjin facepalmed. “Goddess, you’re making it seem like we’re going on a life-threatening mission and we won’t come back. We will only take a look around here and the city, study the area, and if we happen to find a vampire, I’ll do my job. Maybe we won’t even find anything.”

“I think it’s a good idea. Have fun!” Jiwoo said.

Hyunjin turned to Heejin. “See? Why are you so worked up about this?”

Heejin crossed her arms. “I just think it’s unfair that the rules are different for you.”

Hyunjin approached her, grabbed her right hand and walked out the house. “Give us a second.”

Without looking back as Heejin protested, Hyunjin kept on dragging her to the backyard.

“What is it?” Hyunjin asked, finally turning to her.

“I already explained.”

“Is that really all?”

“Y-Yes, what else could it be?”

“You’re worried.”

Heejin scoffed. “Worried? Why would I be?”

“Exactly, why would you be?”

Heejin’s mouth opened and closed, and she sighed instead, avoiding Hyunjin’s eyes. “I don’t know. I have no reason to worry, you’ve been doing that for years, you’re the strongest, and a random vampire would never hurt you.”

“That’s correct.”

“Yet, I am worried. Maybe even afraid.”

“Heejin.” Hyunjin grabbed her hands, making her eyes drift upwards and meet hers. “I’m just going to wander around. Like I said, I may not even find anything. I’ll be back before you know it.”

“Promise me.”

“I promise. Let’s make a deal. While I’m out, you’ll draw something. You haven’t had a chance to grab your sketchbook, have you?”

Heejin’s eyes widened for a second. “I thought about it today, but I didn’t.”

“Then, when I’m back, I wanna see what you came up with. I bet your drawings are amazing.”

“Why? You never saw them. I'm probably even rusty already.”

Hyunjin shrugged. “I just know it.”

“What do you want me to draw?”

“I don’t even know what you like to draw, so, whatever you want.”

“I’ll see what I can do.”

“No, you will have something to show me. It's part of the promise. I’ll always be back to see your drawings."

Hyunjin didn’t mean to sound so... dramatic, but the words had slipped through already, and now she could only melt at how Heejin smiled at her.

“Deal.”

For the time they were out hunting, Hyunjin managed to focus. She let Hyejoo lead, so she could practice.

"How do I know it's a vampire I smell?" Hyejoo asked.

"We have a different scent. I can't really describe it, but think about how different we smell comparing to Heejin and Chaewon. Even though you and me have a different scent, there's a similar quality there. Maybe that's still too advanced for you, but you'll get there, don't worry."

Hyejoo nodded, faced ahead again and dashed through the trees, with Hyunjin following.

In the end, they didn't find anything. The city was peaceful, not a hint of vampires or slayers out hunting. And now, Hyunjin could finally let the thought of going back and the excitement of seeing Heejin's drawing be fully present in her mind as she drove back.

Stopping Bumblebee, the front door opened.

"Found anything?" Jiwoo asked.

"No." Hyunjin hoped off with Hyejoo.

"That's good, right?"

"Maybe, but we can't let one night decide that the whole city is safe. We'll be out tomorrow night again."

"Nice," Hyejoo mumbled as she followed Hyunjin inside.

Heejin's head rose from the sketchbook in her hand as soon as Hyunjin stepped inside, and both smiled at each other. Chaewon jumped from the couch and ran to Hyejoo, checking for any signs of injuries.

"I'm a vampire, Gowon. I wouldn't have any injuries even if we were to find a vampire."

"What if you were to find a slayer?"

"I would run."

Jungeun and Jiwoo laughed at how Chaewon whined, but Hyunjin went straight to sit next to Heejin, and as she did, Heejin closed her sketchbook and pouted.

"What's with the face?" Hyunjin asked.

"How was the hunt?"

Hyunjin frowned at her. "We didn't find anything, and don't you dare think I've forgotten."

Heejin huffed. "I didn't draw anything... particularly pretty."

"But you did draw something. Let me see. And your pout won't save you."

She still pouted, but hesitantly, opened on the page she was working on, and Hyunjin's eyes widened the same second. A page filled with several small sketches of Selene and Diana, with a unique style that wasn't too realistic nor too cartoony, but left no room to doubt that those were her cats. Hyunjin's hands moved to steal it from Heejin so she could take a closer look, especially at the one in the right corner of the page - of Selene on Hyunjin's lap.

"I didn't know what else to do, so I thought your cats would make you happy. I-I'm sorry if they don't look like them, they wouldn't sit still so I didn't have an easy time with referencing."

"What in the moon, Heejin, they're amazing."

Heejin blinked. "W-What, really?"

"Why are you impressed?"

"I don't know, I just didn't expect you would love them so much."

Hyunjin clicked her tongue. "Just know that when we're back at my house, I'll steal this page, frame it, and hang it on our bedroom."

And she only realized what she had said when Heejin's eyes grew for a second.

"Alright."

"And know that if you keep drawing as good as this, I'll steal some more of your creations. You're no longer safe."

---

A/N: HELLO EVERYONE I LOVE THIS CHAPTER, AND I HOPE YOU LOVED IT TOO! This chapter marks the start of part 3, the longest and my favorite!!!

I really love the scene where her eyes activate when she sees Heejin like that so much that I HAD TO DRAW, I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!! PLEASE CHECK THE FANART HERE!!! I didn't post it on Twitter with the chapter because it would be a spoiler, but I might post it when the story's done!

Okay but for real, 2jin is RISING, and they can't hide it anymore they just CAN'T

Btw, I wrote a 2jin one shot, if you wanna check it out! --> https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1472796/dream-of-you