Oh, the tragedy!

When Blood Meets Silver

His wicked laugh echoed in the walls, as if luring Hyunjin to him. As if Jinyoung actually wanted her to go after him. What other reason would he have to give her that kind of smile just before taking Heejin with him?

Hyunjin followed the sound, two levels up the emergency stairs. She stepped outside the exit door and faced both sides of the endless corridor she found herself in. Only some lights illuminated the space, a few blinked, probably damaged after the explosion, and there were no windows, just doors after doors on both sides.

"Hyunjin! Come and get me!" His voice sent chills down Hyunjin's spine, but she followed it, to her right, sprinting along the corridor, her heart drumming in her skull.

"Stop running and face me!" Hyunjin shouted, the walls dragging her voice to him.

"What would the fun be?"

The voice sounded at her left side, so Hyunjin took the next turn left, to another corridor, and more doors. Hyunjin noticed each door held a small plaque with a name. Were those the slayers' rooms?

"Faster, Hyunjin!"

Jinyoung's mocking tone was getting on Hyunjin's nerves more than anything she'd ever experienced. It gritted in her brain like claws scratching metal. She gripped her gun harder and harder, following Heejin's scent. Why couldn't she reach them?!

"Show yourself, coward!" Hyunjin hissed, her full grown fangs out her lips.

A pair of strong hands suddenly grabbed Hyunjin's arm and yanked her to her right, such force her body dragged along the floor of the unknown room, only stopping when it hit something hard as her gun flew off her hand. She choked, coughing as she struggled to get on her feet, holding onto whatever she hit, which seemed to be a couch. She was still on one knee when two sets of bulky arms coming from the goddess knew where grabbed her, pulling her up, and her breath got stuck when she faced ahead.

"Hello there, Hyunjin." Jinyoung smiled at her, his hand gripping at the collar of Heejin's jacket. "What's with the funny face? I thought you asked me to show myself."

Her vision blurred around Heejin's body. He held onto her clothes like she was a mere puppet, unconscious and unable to fight back, her knees dragging on the floor and her head dropped to one side. Hyunjin focused on her hearing. Nothing. Just a little bit more. Nothing. Once more, harder. There it was. Her heart was still beating. What should have felt like relief felt like a burst of energy propelling her whole body to jump at his neck and tear his head from his body that very second.

But she couldn't do that if she were to risk him being faster and hurting Heejin before she could get to him.

"Let her go!" Hyunjin spat, thrashing, trying to release herself from the grip on her limbs, but the two gigantic vampires kept her in place. "What the do you want?!"

Jinyoung scratched his chin, eyes up at the ceiling for a few seconds. "I'm still trying to decide."

"Imma kill you, I swear to the Goddess." Hyunjin's yellow eyes stared at his emerald green ones. Beautiful, yet wicked, twisted, full of darkness.

"Oh, Hyunjin, I don't think your Goddess will help you at all. Do you think she might be able to help this one?" He smirked as his foot nudged Heejin's legs. She still wouldn't wake up.

Hyunjin flailed her arms around, but the two vampires didn't even budge. She looked at her sides, at their faces, and tried again. They laughed at her, not a sign of struggle in holding her. Raising her right leg, she kicked him wherever she could, and he gave in just a bit, hissing at the pain. Taking the opportunity, Hyunjin yanked her right arm away from his grip, but before she could even try and go for the other vampire, a hit on the back of her head sent her to the floor on her knees. Hyunjin coughed again, her vision spinning.

"Now, now, don't waste your energy like that. It's not worth it," Jinyoung said, only fueling more and more of Hyunjin's hatred. "Grab her properly Yugyeom, Youngjae."

A foot stomped on the back of each of her legs, pressing them down, and her arms were thrown up in the air, her wrists being held by a grip that seemed tighter than the chains she had just escaped. She looked up at Jinyoung, a few steps in front of her, and she never felt so powerless in her entire life. She couldn't get away, she didn't have the strength. Maybe if the serum had already worn out completely, she could.

"I lied," he said. "I know exactly what I want. First of all, to do the exact same the slayer ers did to us. Burn their home down to the ground, kill them. Doesn't it sound like a good way to avenge our dead friends?"

"You're all sick in the head, taking innocent people, turning them to vampires, and training them like they're an army! That's not trying to survive."

"If we don't end the slayers, we will never survive."

"Do you think they hunt you down for fun? You kill humans!"

Jinyoung giggled, his laugh becoming louder by the second. "You sound like a slayer, it's pathetic. I wouldn't believe you were a vampire if it weren't for you eyes and fangs."

"My eyes and fangs don't get to determine the kind of person I am."

"I could kill you right now, but I don't think that's appropriate payback for what you did to us. This was all your fault, you know. When you decided to mess with us, you brought the slayers to us. Or should I say, she did."

As if holding a bag of feathers, Jinyoung raised Heejin in the air, rotating her body until he could face her.

"Let her go!" Hyunjin pleaded. "I'm right here, leave her alone."

Jinyoung raised his eyebrows at Hyunjin, laughing like the maniac he was. "That is so cute I could even shed a tear right now. A vampire, thinking she fell for her mortal enemy. Beautiful. I'm moved by your innocence, really."

Hyunjin scowled, hissing and showing her fangs at him, trying once again to set herself free.

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna kill, what was her name again? Heejin? I'm going to give her a better life." He sounded excited, his voice cheerful as he grabbed on her chin. "Too bad these dumb s are too dim-witted to see they are the bad guys, and not us. Guess this one will find out the hard way."

Biting his own wrist, a few droplets of blood dripped from Jinyoung's arm.

And then it all clicked.

"STOP!" Hyunjin screamed her lungs out, so raw it scratched . "HEEJIN!"

He smiled, somehow almost a sad smile, reaching with his wrist towards Heejin's lips. Hyunjin's eyes fogged as she kept screaming, calling for Heejin's name, hoping she would wake up. The grip on her limbs became even stronger than before as Hyunjin tried again and again to release herself.

Jinyoung lowered his wrist until it touched Heejin's parted lips, tainting them red. "I did say you weren't gonna be mortal enemies anymore, right? It's just a shame she'll have to live an eternity without you, now that you could actually be together. Oh, the tragedy!"

A spark ignited inside Hyunjin's body. With the loudest scream, filled with pain and rage, she thrashed her body around like an animal out of control, hitting the vampire at her right with her head, making him stumble back. Without giving the other time to react, she reached with her free hand for his neck, throwing his head to the floor so hard it broke the wood boards.

"JINYOUNG!" Hyunjin yelled, dashing to him with such an impulse, she broke another wooden board underneath her feet.

Her body crashed against his with such speed and strength she broke the wall behind him with his back before she fell on top of him. Heejin's body dropped to the floor behind them. Bricks and debris fell on top of them, but Hyunjin didn't care. Rage blinded anything that was left from her rational thoughts as she punched his face over and over again, crying and yelling non-stop.

Still, he laughed. "Seems like your Goddess didn't help you after all, see? And you couldn't help your girl either."

Hyunjin pulled her fist back, clenching so hard it trembled. With a screech from the depths of her soul, she landed her fist right in his nose with the most satisfying sound of his bones breaking.

As Jinyoung screamed and tried to reach for his nose, wincing in pain, Hyunjin balled her fist, thrilled to keep going and thinking just where to land the next one.

But her fist hung mid-air when her thoughts showed her something else. Maybe there was still time to do anything at all. And that was worth the risk, more than giving Jinyoung the most painful death she could think of.

She jumped on her feet, dashed through the cloud of dust hanging in the air, and grabbed Heejin from the floor, throwing her over her shoulder like a potato sack. Looking around, she found a window, and Jinyoung still wailing and holding onto his nose. It would take a while to heal, for sure, and that gave her just enough time.

Dashing to get her gun from the corner of the room, she aimed for the window, shielding herself with her left arm as her body broke the glass. She landed two stories below, her weak legs giving in. She stumbled forward, rotating so Heejin's body fell on top of her.

For just a couple seconds, Hyunjin laid on the soft grass, eyes up on the moonless night sky, and sobbed, tears welling her eyes again.

But she didn't have time for that. Hyunjin stood up, holding Heejin in her arms, and ran. Ran away from the Silver Blades, away from Jinyoung.

But it was already done. His blood ran down her lips, inside , down to her stomach.

"No, no, no," Hyunjin mumbled to herself, never stopping, not giving a damn if someone would see her running in inhumanly speed.

There had to be something she could do. She wouldn't stand watching Heejin... turn. She stopped under the trees in some empty, dark park, kneeled, and looked at Heejin.

"Heejin!" Hyunjin shook her body.

She looked around, as if looking for some fallen angel to appear and save her, but only Hyunjin could do something. Jinyoung's blood was already in her system, and soon, would start doing it's job. Hyunjin's body shook from head to toe, tears never stopping running down her eyes. She looked up at the sky again. "Please, please help me!"

As stupid as it seemed, a memory came to her mind. Of when they were watching Twilight, back at home, and how at the end of the movie, he bit her, out her blood to clean it from the poison. But there was no way she should take advice from some stupid teenage fiction movie. She brought her hands to her head, shaking it.

Hyunjin looked down at her again. She had never heard of anyone saved from turning.

But if she didn't at least try it, Heejin would turn for sure.

A sob made Hyunjin choke, her hands gripping on Heejin's arms. Hyunjin's unknown worst nightmare had just became reality, and there she was, crying helplessly. She sniffed and dropped her head back. "Give me the strength I need," she whispered at the sky.

Hyunjin held Heejin with an arm on her back, and another on the back of her neck. She gulped, the blood running in Heejin's veins suddenly so loud in her ears. She had never bitten anyone. She wasn't used to human blood, and she knew what happened the one time she drank it. She remembered how her body loved it, begged for more when she chugged the bottle down at once.

But if she didn't try, Heejin would turn.

She brought Heejin closer, staring at her neck, praying.

And closing her eyes, she dug her fangs in her skin.

The overwhelming taste sent Hyunjin's body on fire. She frowned, gripped on Heejin's clothes as she her blood, swallowing gulp after gulp. She had never tasted anything so delicious, and the way her teeth sunk so well, so easily in her skin felt like pure bliss, a drug she shamelessly wanted to get addicted to.

Stop.

But it was so good, and her body wanted, begged for more, for every single drop left. She needed her strength back.

Stop.

Groaning, she tried to pull herself away, but her body didn't listen.

That's enough!

Fighting against her instinct, Hyunjin straightened her hand and aimed a chop at her own throat. She coughed hard, falling back on her and gasping for air.

"Heejin," she mumbled, reaching forward.

She turned Heejin's body, laying on the grass, and gasped at what she had just done. The two red dots marking her neck, the dried drop of blood running down her skin, and her face. Pale, way too pale.

"No, no!" Hyunjin focused on her ears, on Heejin's heart beat, which seemed to be slowing down. "Heejin!"

But she didn't answer, didn't move. Hyunjin took her hands to her head, more tears fogging her eyes. "What have I done?"

Hyunjin just wanted to help, just wanted to save her, to stop Heejin from becoming what she was. But she had drank too much blood, and had no idea if it had worked.

At that point, there was just one person who could help her. Hyunjin reached for her phone, gladly still in her pocket, and her trembling fingers looked for the name.

"Please pick up, please pick up, please pick up, please pick- Haseul!"

"Hyunjin? What happened?" Haseul asked in a hoarse voice. It was almost two in the morning, after all.

"P-Please help me!" Hyunjin choked on her own breathing. "Blood, human blood, for Heejin!"

There were a couple seconds of silence over the line. "What?"

Hyunjin took a deep breath, trying to speak as clearly as possibly at that moment. "Heejin is hurt, she needs blood right now."

---

A/N: now, did it work? or... did it not work? :)

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic
Ko-Fi -  ko-fi.com/itzloonatic