Chapter 25

The Broken Heart Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonbyulyi stretched out her back after slouching for hours. Her eyes were burning after looking at patient files. When she looked up at the clock, it read 7pm. Well past her working hours. She prided herself on her work ethic but it also meant that she tended to overdo it at times. A quick glance at her phone showed a couple of missed calls from Yongsun. Her girlfriend. The thought still sent flutters in her stomach. 

They'd been dating for 3 weeks now. It was going pretty slow, but she was enjoying this courtship. After cutting work during their first date, they'd gone on an impromptu trip to the beach and had a fun day, with water sports and what not. She hadn't done this since college and it was really refreshing. 

Wheein knew that they were going out. She'd endlessly for the same. She was glad she had friends who were so supportive, since they were in a very orthodox country.

She put the phone on speaker, waiting for Yongsun to pick her call.

"Hello?"

"Whats up?"

"Oh..um…"

Moonbyul could sense the hesitancy and thus piqued her curiosity. She'd not heard Yong this nervous since the time she'd asked her out. 

"What is it? Yong?"

"My parents want me to meet them tonight…. And I think I will have to tell them."

That made Moonbyul sit up. Yong wasn't out to her parents and had mentioned telling them in passing. But she didn't think this would happen this soon. 

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No..Yes. I mean, is it possible? I don't want you to change your scheduled for me."

"Yong, this is more important, you're more important. I'll pick you up in 30 minutes."

"Okay."

****

Yongsun would be lying if she said she wasn't scared. She knew her parents were not very traditional but this was still bound to be a surprise. She was happy that Byulyi was coming with her. It felt nice to hear that she was someone's priority, after always living for others, it was a welcome change. She was fiddling too much in the passenger seat and Byulyi kept looking at her worriedly. 

"Don't worry too much. Whatever happens, I'll be here for you."

"How was it for you when you came out?"

"My parents were a little shocked. I won't lie. But they probably suspected it when I barely showed interest in men. We just don't talk about it anymore and since we don't live in the same town it doesn't matter."

"Hmm"

She was having a tough time navigating thoughts and wanted to scream. As Byulyi pulled into her parents' driveway she took a deep bre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter