Chapter 13

The Broken Heart Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Silence. 

That was all Yong could hear. The irony in that sentence wasn't lost on her. She was at the therapist's office on a whim, but now words seemed to be scarce. She was still not sure why she was here. Well, she knew deep down but to face that line of thought was going to be hard. She took a deep breath. 

"First off, how do I address you, Doctor sounds a bit too formal for me."

"You can call me Ms Joohyun if that makes you comfortable but I still prefer Doctor because I like the little ego boost I get it," said the doctor, with a cheeky smile. 

"Dr Joohyun it is. Okay then I think I'm ready to talk." Yongsun was staring way too hard at the table and she knew it. She had to start talking. "Doc, what are your thoughts on attraction?"

"Attraction?"

"I'm referring to physical attraction to another person."

"Attraction is exactly what the word means. It's pretty self explanatory. But I think you're looking for a more nuanced definition. You're gonna have to give me a more detailed question."

"Ugh let me just say it. What are your thoughts on a woman getting attracted to another woman?"

Dr Joohyun looked surprised at the question. Yongsun was worried she had grossed her out and she was just about to make an excuse when the doctor started speaking. 

"It's still attraction Ms Kim. Attraction is subjective. You can be attracted to a person because of their looks, their personality or both. It's a very normal human emotion. It's just your body's way of saying it sees something nice and wants it."

"Oh."

"You don't necessarily have to be gay or biual to be attracted to the same gender. Does that answer your question?"

This was exactly what Yongsun wanted to hear. Right? But why was she feeling as unsure as she was at the beginning of the session?

"Can I ask what provoked this question? Are you ready to talk about it?"

"I've recently met a person, who I've become really good friends with. But lately I keep thinking about how attractive she looks. This is weird to me because I've always assumed I'm straight and I've never been attracted to a woman before. And it's making me really anxious."

"uality is complex. Many people get attracted to one person of the same gender and no one else of that gender. I've seen people have a one off attraction to someone of the same gender and they ended happily in a relationship. But all this was when I was not in Korea. The society in Asian countries doesn't acknowledge same attraction and so most people tend to ignore attraction to the same gender. It happens more than you think."

"So you're telling me what I'm feeling is normal?"

"Yes it is. Have you been spending a lot of time with this pe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter