Chapter 9

The Broken Heart Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a 20 minute drive, they were away the from city centre and were now in the suburbs. The houses looked expensive and screamed "My owners are rich". 

"Yong, you know where you're going right? This area looks like something out of a horror movie. So cold and lifeless."

"Yea that's something I hate too. Big house with one or two occupants tend to do that. But don't worry. We're almost there."

After a short detour, Byulyi found themselves stopping near a vineyard. 

"Why are we here?"

"This is where my mother's Restaurant is. Look there", said Yong, as she pointed to a rustic looking building on the other side of the vineyard. The setting sun had given it a pretty glow and she was awestruck. 

"You didn't mention a vineyard."

"I wanted it to be a surprise. My mum is a licensed wine taster. But right now it's the off season for wine. During summer it is a lively area here. Anyway, let's go before the restaurant gets crowded."

Before she knew what was happening, they were seated at a private table overlooking the vineyard. There were small lights twinkling between each row of grape vines and it looked beautiful in the late evening backdrop.

"My mum has the vines covered with festive lights during off season. It looks really pretty doesn't it?"

"Hmm, it seems so", said Byulyi, except she wasn't looking at Yongsun instead of the vineyard. 

"Yong, you're finally here", said a middled aged woman. "And you finally made friends", she said, as she glanced at Byulyi. 

"Mom, what the hell. I have friends."

"Yea but you never introduce us. Anyway, I'm Yongs mother, call me Mrs Kim. I hope you'll have a nice meal ms-?"

"Oh I'm Dr Moonbyulyi. I'm a Cardiothoracic surgeon. Nice to meet you ma'am."

"A doctor huh. My daughter really knows how to pick her friends," she said and laughed when Yongsun glared at her. 

"Today's menu is a farmer's special. Would you like to order ala carte or do you trust my suggestions?"

"I'd be glad to taste what you offer", said Byulyi as she turned to Yongsun and smiled.

"Alright then. I'll not bother you guys any longer"

*****

"Yea, that was my mother. She's a little bit weird", said Yong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter