Chapter 10

The Broken Heart Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hi Ms Kim, it's been a while since I've seen you. How have you been?"

Yongsun glared at her psychiatrist. How the lady always had a smile on her face was beyond her. 

"You know fully well that I don't want to be here right? I'm here only because my supervisor asked me to or I'd be made to take unpaid leave."

Dr Joohyun's remained stoic, the only thing that showed that she wasn't entirely hostile was her smile.

"Why don't we talk about that today? Why do you hate psychiatrists so much?"

Yongsun just groaned. She knew this question was coming and she had no idea on how to go about the subject. Yes she didn't like therapists, but deep down she knew it wasn't their fault. It was her own issues. 

"How will talking about that help?"

"You seem to think I'm only taking care of your PTSD. That's not the case. I believe in a more holistic approach. Mental issues are not related to just one isolated incident. Lot of them can contribute till you reach breaking point. I always encourage my patients to work on all their issues for better results. Does that make sense?"

"Fine I'll talk. But if I don't feel comfortable we'll stop".

"Sure. I'll take my cues from you. So…let's talk shall we?"

"So, why don't I like therapy? I went with my ex for counselling when our relationship was falling apart. I felt like I was ripped apart and left bare, and it didn't really help our relationship either. I'm not a fan of expressing myself. I wasn't raised that way."

"Can you tell me about your ex?"

Yongsun was motionless for a bit before she started talking.

"He was also a cop, er..rather a doctor. Forensic science to be precise. We met when I started in the police academy 6 years ago. I was 23. I hadn't dated much and he was my first serious relationship. One year into the relationship, he proposed and we got married shortly after."

Yongsun paused for a bit. The next part wasn't something she talked about much. 

"To put things into perspective, I eat 25 at this point. I had just made junior detective and I was enroute to a promotion to senior detective and hopefully captain of my own squad. But my ex wanted kids. That's when I realised we never actually discussed anything before getting married. It was all a spur of the moment decision. I didn't want children. Wasn't really interested in them. But everyone wanted it. My ex, my family and his family."

"Why didn't you want children?"

"I was 25, and I had just started my job. To be honest my family wasn't really supportive of my job. We're pretty well off and I majored in Korean. I was fully ready to take up a PhD in Literature but a recruitment drive in my neighborhood convinced me to join the for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter