Chapter 16 | Nana's decision: By my side

Just Choose!

*Okada Nana POV*

 

- You came ... - Yuiri tells me while drawing the most sincere smile and her gaze shows me an infinite love - ... I thought you were not going to do it, you were an hour late -

- Sorry I had something to do first - I replied

 

/ * Flashback * /

 

After a long time and thinking so much I decided to follow my heart and I had finally decided with whom I wanted to share my life, it was not something easy ... it was quite complicated but when I made the decision, everything began to settle in an incredible way. I saw the stations´ names one by one until I saw the station "Shibuya" that was the station where Mako was going to be waiting for me, waiting for my answer. Something inside me made that when the doors in that station were opened I ran to the doors at the last minute. At that moment I knew that I had to do it, I had to talk to both of them, I couldn't live with one without talking to the other at that moment so before going to Yuiri I would talk to Mako.

 

I left the station and walked to where I knews he was going to wait for me, at the Hachiko statue, so I went there, as I got closer, my nerves took hold of me because although I had rehearsed what I was going to tell Yuiri, with Mako it’s a different story because she was not in my plans but I owe her so much that I could not leave her waiting for who knows what hours for my arrival. And suddenly I stopped in my tracks, beautiful ... in the full extent of the word, looking distractedly at the people passing by and you could see from leagues that she was very nervous just like me, so without making her delay any more I approached her.

 

As I still lacked some space to reach her, she could see me from a distance and I observe how her face changed to the brightest smile that I have ever received from her, her gaze lit up, on her face I could see her cute dimples, everything in her radiated a happiness that I could feel, unfortunately for her it only lasted a few seconds because she surely noticed my facial expressions. Unfortunately I did not have the heart to answer her properly because of her happiness and that guilt began to eat away at me. How could I make one of the people I know love me so much suffer. I thank God that she did not attempt to hug me or that she had approached me with the intention of kissing me because I would have had to reject her physical contact and I know that it would have hurt both of us a lot, even more than I was about to do since I feel like you need an explanation of my behavior.

 

-Hi - I tell her already staying in front of her

-Hi - she answers me in the same way with a really dismayed tone of voice, I know she can feel the tense atmosphere.

-We'd better find a place to sit and talk - And so we did, we walked to a nearby park, contrary to all the times we've been together, the road was really quiet. Not those quiet silences but more of those uncomfortable ones, the kind that you can feel all the tension in the air. We got to the place and sat down, I knew I had to start talking and explaining everything.

 

-Thank you - It was the first word that came to my mind to which she just tilted her face a little waiting for an explanation - You are the first after all my love disaster that managed to make me feel alive again, which made me I felt a peace inside me that I had not achieved in years. Your dedication, your understanding and patience made me fall in love with you in a way that I never imagined I could feel in someone else after all that I lived. They have been some wonderful months, one of the happiest of life, I found in you a valuable, sincere, honest person and above all willing to give herself completely-

 

Mako's eyes started to fill with tears, she didn't know if they were happy or sadness but as soon as I saw a tear roll from her cheeks I took her in my arms to merge into a hug, I wish with this I could explain everything I feel, I wish I could heal her heart but I know that I cannot and there are still things what should I tell her, I separated from her, we stared at each other for a considerable time, I was just beginning to open my mouth to continue with my speech when she placed a finger on my lips in a silent plea not to speak.

-You do not have to thank me, you are everything a girl can ask for, it was not difficult to fall in love with you, together with you I discovered trust, tenderness, feeling protected, valued but above all I felt that I was a special person for you. You gave me great moments that will live forever in my memory no matter what happens today - said this, she took my cheek and caressed it gently. I have remained speechless I do not know what to say, she does not deserve what I am going to do but I know that I must do it, I must clarify my thoughts, tell her my decision in a concise way but without her thinking that I played with her because it is the last thing I would want.

 

She gently took her hand and pulled it away from my face. I just can't allow this waiting to continue.

-Mako, as you have asked me, I have come to this meeting point to give you my answer - that said, I see that now her face is still expectant, I can notice a hint of illusion in her eyes and I try not to focus on it and just say the truth - First of all I want you to know that my decision is based entirely on my feelings, you did not do anything wrong. I do not want you to feel guilty only I ... -

-I understand - she tells me with a melancholic smile - it was always her -

-No, wait .. - but before I can say anything elses he takes my hand and gives me a gentle squeeze.

-Don't get me wrong Nana, I know that what you felt for me was something strong, special, different, our connection is real, our feelings for each other but I also know that she was always there. That these feelings towards me were sown on those feelings that you wanted to bury when she rejected you, so let's say they were not well founded. I know you didn't do it on purpose, I know that you genuinely thought you were in love with me but if you think about it, if those feelings were true, Yuiri's declaration of love would not have affected our relationship at all and therefore your feelings would have me - at her statement I couldn't help but look down due to embarrassment, I was so easy to read. Given this fact now she took my chin and made me look into her eyes - I don't blame you, I really don't, we were simply victims of circumstances, Hell! I can't even blame Yuiri, she tried to be a good friend until the last minute but in the end she decided to risk everything to have you by her side and the truth is I don't blame her, you are someone very special -

 

That said, a silence was created between the two of them. I didn't really know what the next step was, I didn't know whether to continue with my speech or just get away from it. I had to say something, Mako deserved to know everything that inhabited my heart.

-You are an excellent person, woman and partner. I know that you will find someone in the future who can love and appreciate you in the way that you deserve. It would have been unfair to continue with you knowing that my heart beats and lives for another person, so I wish you the best. Have a full life, I know that we will have to give ourselves some time but you know that you can count on me for whatever you need because I would like to continue conserving your friendship - having said this, she took both her hands in mine so that she has no doubts about my words .

 

A sigh filled the silent void between us, the words were beginning to extinguish one by one, I was thinking in my mind if there was something else to add but I didn't know how to continue this difficult conversation.

-Nana, before you go I just have one question. How did you know she was the one? - She asks me curious questions to which I only show her a lopsided smile.

-To tell the truth, it was quite complicated to know, but I simply asked myself the following. I thought of a situation about what would happen if you told me that you were getting married and I even imagined being at the altar to one side watching someone else marry you and that was when the answer I was looking for was given. When looking at you there at the altar, beautiful with your dress showing that beautiful smile, I did not doubt that I was going to be smiling too, seeing how after all you can be happy even if it is not by my side. I would be happy to find someone who could appreciate, love and care about you - I tell her with a big smile - On the contrary, as soon as I imagined Yuiri holding someone else's hand my heart felt a pang, it began to beat rapidly When I imagined her at the altar next to someone else, it made me uncontrollably want to take her in my arms and carry her away, but I also felt happiness because she found love, I felt a peace that someone was going to take care of her even though she knew that no one is going to love her like me. I imagine her smiling at me with that beautiful smile that she has as if looking for support, I would answer her with another smile to reassure her because no matter that inside I am dying I will always be willing to give everything for her happiness, then the kiss scene would follow to end her union and there I could not contain it anymore and I would sob, hiding before people could notice it, or maybe if they did it, they could think than they are tears of happiness and not tears of a longing that I know will never be fulfilled. At that moment I knew, I wanted to be that person by her side, I wanted to live a life with her, I ... I still love her even more than when I discovered that I was in love with her and if I have a chance to make us happy it would be a silly to let it go -

-I understand - was everything that came from your lips, I knew that my words were hurting you but you mentioned it before, there should be no secrets between us - I think it's better that I leave, you still need to talk to her, right? -

 

I just nodded and she gave a wistful laugh. Moments later she gave me a hug again, at the moment of moving away our faces were inches away.

-Everyone warned me that this would end like this, I believed that I would be the person who would occupy your heart, that space that she left empty thanks to the rejection of your love, but in reality your heart continued to beat for her and will continue to do so, doing until it stops. Thank you for such good times, I was very happy by your side and with all my heart I hope that you are very happy and that she knows how to appreciate you because you are a very valuable person. I love you Nana, never forget that - When she finished saying her speech, she kissed me, taking me by surprise and I could feel how more tears adorned her face and without time to react she moved away from me, I could only see her back move away until she was lost between the crowd.

 

/ * End of Flashback * /


 

-Nana, Nana! - I heard a voice that took me out of my thoughts. I focused my view and there she was with her face that showed concern - Sorry I got distracted a bit -

That said, we were left without knowing what to say or do. I knew I had to say something but I did not know that I would declare myself again? Do I ask you to be my girlfriend? A date? A kiss ?. In that I was struggling internally I heard a laugh and it turned to my right and I saw that it is she who is laughing.

-I'm sorry Naachan but you are making very funny faces, from here I can see that your mind is thinking very fast until you almost feel the smoke emanating from your head. Even your ears turned red! - keep saying with a playful voice

-It is not true! You're making it up - I tell her, pouting, as I turn my eyes away from her.

-Don't get mad, Nana .. Naachan .. - She tells me while I still don't turn around.

-Perfect, if you don't want to talk to me I'm leaving - I hear her say with an annoyed voice making me turn to her to stop her but what is my surprise that when I made that movement my lips were captured between hers in a delicate way - I was dying to kiss you again -

Seeing her smile again and still feeling the tickle of her lips that remained like ghosts, my heart beat frantically, I had to open and close my eyes several times. My mind and my heart still didn't register that all this was real ... Yuiri and I ... She kiss ... Oh my god!

-Haha say something or else, I’m gonna be angry - she says playfully. I take her face between my fingers, outline her features, linger a bit on her lips, remembering all those sleepless nights thinking about her. Imagining what her lips will taste like and now I can taste them whenever I want so I leaned in to kiss her slowly. We were like this for several minutes just exploring each other. I had to separate myself from her because even though I like the feeling of her lips against mine, we had to talk.

- I love you - I said with a smile.

- I know, I love you too - she tells me - I refused so many times to say it, that now I will spend the rest of my life making sure you listen to it -

Her words are like a balm for my soul that cried so many times for an unrequited love, that heart that begged each shooting star that if it wouldn’t be reciprocated then it should be eliminate this love for my friend but in the end my heart refused to do so and continued despite everything.

-You are very thoughtful, would you mind sharing what is going through your head - she says while she rests her head on my right shoulder and only manages to hug her.

-It still seems impossible in my mind that you are here with me, telling me this. There were so many nights that I asked for this and now that it is passing my head continues to think that one day I will wake up from this beautiful dream - I say while I take her left hand with my right hand.

-Well, I see it complicated because then I too would have to wake up and believe me I don't want to, not after all that we've been through. I just want to be by your side and make you happy - she tells me with a very soft voice almost in a whisper. It is clear that we are both enjoying the moment.

-And ...? - I say while trying to ask the question that refuses to vocalize in words - We .. We are .. Well you and me -

-Do you want to be my girlfriend Okada Nana? - She tells me as she separates from me, gets up from the seat to kneel. I'm in shock, I can't believe it, she's asking me for it. I took her by both shoulders and made her stand up while I did the same until she was face to face.

"Nothing would make me happier than having the honor of being your girlfriend" I say with a smile as we seal our engagement with another kiss.

 

This journey was very thorny, I had to decide between two people who were very important but now with seeing her I can finally say that I made the right decision, I know that we will not have the easy way but if our love and dedication continues just as strong we will be able to bear all the problems because in the end she was always by my side.

 

END

 

/ * OMAKE * /

- I thought I could get used to this about  us being girlfriends and being able to kiss you as many times as I want, today  definitely set the record for the number of times we have kissed - I told her with a smile.

-I thought there are still a few more kisses to break it ... - she answered me with a little smile.

-WHAT!? - I asked her with surprise.

-I'll just say ... Muto Tomu's party - she answered me with a sheepish smile.


----------

AAAAAAAAAAAAND THIS IS THE END!!! Hope you can leave your comments. See you in the next story!