Chapter 23

Took an Oath - I’mma stick it out to the end

Tiffany's side

"Dr.Kang" called Tiffany as she entered his office early morning

"Yup Tiffany?"

"Dr.Kang, can you test whether im a suitable donor for Jessica?"
"Im also an O+ blood type" said Tiffany
"Im really sorry for shouting at Jessica like that last night, if only i knew she did all these because of us" explained Tiffany

"Okay, sure"
"Come over here" Dr.Kang said as he patted the seat infront of his table
"I'll get a blood sample from you first"
"To see if it matches"

Dr.Kang then took a syringe and poke it into Tiffany's arm and took out a syringe of Tiffany's blood for some test.

"Dr.Kang, how long does it take for the results to be out?" asked Tiffany

"Soon, maybe in 2hours or so?"
"Dont worry, i'll inform you when it comes okay?"

"Okay thanks"
"I'll be here either in Taeyeon's ward or Jessica's ward i guess"
"Cause i think Taeyeon should probably be in Jessica's ward" smiled Tiffany as she walked out.

Taeyeon's side

When Taeyeon had woken up from her sleep last night after so much happenings there,
she immediately got up and went to Jessica's ward to check if she was dreaming last night but everything felt so real.
Of course, she hopes that everything was a dream, a nightmare.
But as soon as she reached Jessica's ward, she stood outside.
Taeyeon saw Jessica being put on a wheelchair by a nurse, ready to be wheeled out while Krystal's nowhere to be found.
Taeyeon really wished that she could just run towards Jessica and hug her, tell her how much she missed her, why did she act like that, to keep everything to herself.
But no, she couldnt. Taeyeon didnt want to upset Jessica or anything, so she decided to not to anything rashly.
In the end, Taeyeon waited till Jessica got wheeled out before she got into her room and sat down.
As much as Taeyeon wanted to take care of Jessica, she dont know what can she do for her.
Plus, now because of her leg injury, her schedules have been stopped, temporary while the rest of the members continued.
So Taeyeon have got plenty of time to take care of Jessica.
The point is, will Jessica allow her to?
While Taeyeon was sitting in Jessica's wards, tearing upon the thoughts of Jessica rejecting her and fighting through this all by herself,
she felt a light tap on her shoulder. It was Tiffany.
Same as Taeyeon, her eyes were also teary.

"Hi Taeyeon" smiled Tiffany softly

"Hi Tiff" replied Taeyeon sadly
"Whats this?.." asked Taeyeon as she pointed to the plaster on Tiffany's arm.

"Ah.."
"This.. i went to Dr.Kang just now"
"Wanted to see if my bone marrow fits Jessica" explained Tiffany

"Oh..What about mine?"

"Taeyeon, only those of the same blood group can be used"
"Im of the same blood group as Jessica, thats why" further explained by Tiffany
"Your blood group is AB.."

"Oh.." sighed Taeyeon

At the same time, someone was entering the room.
It was Jessica, looking extremely exhausted being wheeled into the room by the nurse.
Then, Jessica's eyes lit up after seeing her best friend and EX-girlfriend but the happiness was short lived.
As the nurses helped her back up onto her bed, never did she once looked at the two.

"Why?.." started Jessica weakly
"Here to.. scold.. me again..?"

"Jess..."
"Dont be like this.." said Tiffany as she teared up.
"We know about everything.. we overheard Dr.Choi&Dr.Kang's conversation.."

"So what..? If you.. knew about.. everything.."
"You said.. as you step.. out.. of the.. door last.. night.."
"Our friendship.. is over.." coughed Jessica

Hearing Jessica's cough, Taeyeon&Tiffany immediately went over to pat her back.
But was pushed away by Jessica's hands.

"Dont.. touch me.." glared Jessica coldly
"We..are..no..longer..friends.."
"And you..Taeyeon..we are over.." coughed Jessica again

"Sica.."
"We are sorry.."
"Dont be like this.."
"Why are you being so silly, keeping all these to yourself?" asked Taeyeon as she attempted to touch Jessica again but as again, pushed away by Jessica.

"There's no.. point.. in telling.."
"You told.. me.. this was.. my retribution.."
"So now.. im getting my retribution.."
"Now what.. are the two.. trying to do.. with me alone?.."
"Pitying.. me.. since im.. getting my.. retribution?.." said Jessica sacarstically

"It was just anger words Sica.." sobbed Taeyeon
"Please forgive me, i didnt know how much you were going through"
"Please, please, let us be with you" begged Taeyeon as tears roll down her cheeks.

"Yeah, Jess"
"Remember how we stood by each other in the past?" added Tiffany

"Just.. get out.."
"Dont talk about.. our past.."
"We're no.. longer.. related.. after last night.."

"Jess, even if you insist that we're no longer related"
"I wont give you up"
"Even if you're going to hate, im still going to visit you everyday" shouted Tiffany in exasperation

"Sica, me too.."
"Why cant you just open up to us?.."
"We are really concern about you.." said Taeyeon sadly

"You guys.. just dont understand.."
"Why i am doing all these.."
"Just leave, i dont need.. any of you.." replied Jessica coldly
"I just.. dont want.. to burden anyone of you.." mumbled Jessica softly as a few tears roll down her cheeks.

"What did you say Jess?"
"Burden?!"
"BURDEN?!"
"You call yourself a burden to us?!" shouted Tiffany, making her blood boil even more.

"Sica.. You will never become a burden to us.." started Taeyeon
"Never.. I never, or Tiffany, never ever thought you as a burden"
"Not even once.. How could you say that to us?.."

"I didnt even complain once, about you!"
"I didnt even complain once that you were a burden to us!"
"How could you just assume that we would find you a burden?!"
"What we wanted is just the best for you!"
"Jess, you're making a wrong move here!" scolded Tiffany

Jessica felt really exhausted after the chemotheraphy, she didnt have enough energy to answer them anymore.
So she turned her back against the girls that were scolding her and closed her eyes, ignoring the words that filled the room with worries&anger.
But, tears were falling off her face like raindrops.
Tiffany, who were really fed up with Jessica ignoring them, she turned Jessica over, facing them but was shocked to see Jessica's tears filled face.
And the touch with Jessica, was hot.
Tiffany immediately stopped her scoldings and rantings and felt for Jessica's forehead.

"Jess?.."
"Your fever?.. Why havent they subside from last night?.."
"Why didnt you tell me?.."

"What?! Sica?!"
"You are having a fever?.." asked Taeyeon concernly

No reply was heard, but only tears that were seen flowing down Jessica's face.

"Jess, dont cry.." Tiffany said as she hugged Jessica.

And to her surprise, Jessica returned the hug.

[ENGLISH CONVERSATION]

"Im sorry.. Tiff.." sobbed Jessica
"Im really sorry.."
"I didnt want anyone.. of you.. to know about.. this.."
"I cant live through this.. i dont want.. anyone of.. you to.. grieve over my.. death.."
"I just wanna.. leave you all.. with beautiful memories.." sobbed Jessica even harder

"Silly Jess.."
"How silly can you get?" said Tiffany as she patted Jessica on the back
"Didnt you think how we would react if you really died and we didnt even get to see you for the last?"
"Or when we found out about your illness and didnt even went through it with you?" asked Tiffany

"Im.. sorry.."
"I just.. dont want.. anyone of you.. to feel sad.. for me.." sobbed Jessica as her tears wet Tiffany's clothes.

[End of ENGLISH CONVERSATION]

After Tiffany got out of Jessica's hug, Taeyeon took over Tiffany's place.
She slowly sat down and reach out for Jessica.
But, Jessica didnt respond to her, only tears responded as Jessica averted her gaze.
Taeyeon was shocked, didnt know why Jessica ignored her.

"Sica?.."

"..."

[ENGLISH CONVERSATION]

"Jess, whats wrong?.."

"I dont know.. i just think.. im not good enough for her.."
"I dont think i even deserve her.."
"That i hurt her so deeply.."

"She missed you badly Jess.."
"Even if you think you dont deserve her, shouldnt you at least get into her arms and have you hug comfort her"

"I..."

"Go on Jess" smiled Tiffany

[End of ENGLISH CONVERSATION]

"Sica?.." Taeyeon getting teary after being ignored by Jessica
"You really dont love me at all?.."

Jessica said nothing but fell into Taeyeon's arms and hugged her.
The both of them missed each other's touch, each other's hug.
They stayed in the position for minutes without talking before Jessica started coughing again.
Taeyeon, hearing Jessica's cough then broke the hug.

"Sica?.." Taeyeon called while patting Jessica's back
"You okay?.."

"Kwenchaena.." said Jessica slowly as she turned to Taeyeon with her watery eyes.

"I missed you, so much Sica.."
"Im sorry i said those bitter words to you last night.." started Taeyeon but Jessica just sat there and listened.

She didnt know what to say, how to react to Taeyeon's love for her.
She was afraid she's gonna hurt Taeyeon once more if she couldnt survive the whole treatment before getting a donor.

"Taeyeon.."
"Maybe Jess's tired thats why she didnt reply you.." comforted Tiffany
"We should lay her down and let her rest, she just came back from her chemotheraphy"
"Im sure you dont want to tire her out right Taeyeon?" smiled Tiffany

Taeyeon just nodded and help Jessica to lay down on the bed while Jessica just turned away and shut her eyes.
She couldnt bear looking at Taeyeon anymore, those watery puppy eyes, it made Jessica even more sad.
If Jessica's gonna continue crying somemore, she knew its not doing her any good, but contributing more to her fever.
As she was really exhausted, within minutes she fell back into a deep slumber.
On the other hand, Taeyeon&Tiffany stayed in Jessica's ward, changing towel on her forehead for Jessica, hoping to help bring her fever down.
Her body felt like it was boiling, but at the same time Tiffany told Taeyeon why Jessica was acting like that to her.

"Taeyeon.." Tiffany started

"Yes?"

"You know.. dont be too hurt by Jessica.."
"She's just blaming herself now.."
"That she hurt you so deeply.."
"She felt that she dont deserve you or your love at all.." explained Tiffany
"She's struggling with herself inside"
"Give her some time"

"That pabo.."
"I said i didnt mind anything Tiff.."
"Why is she still blaming herself?.." Taeyeon said as she Jessica's hair.

"You know that its always hard to figure out how she feels"
"Time is all she need, at the meantime, we'll just stay here with her"

"I will stay by her side, no matter how she rejects me"

"Thats the Taeyeon i know" smiled Tiffany

Just then, Dr.Kang walked in with a file in his hands.

"Ah, there you are Tiffany"
"The results are out"
"It says that you are a suitable donor for Jessica" smiled Dr.Kang

"Really Dr.Kang?!"
"When can we go through the transplant?!"

"But.."

"But?"

"But, the rate of Jessica's body rejecting the bone marrow has risen up to 30%.." said Dr.Kang sadly

"Why? Isnt it 5% like what Krystal did last time?"

"When it was Krystal's time, she wasnt as serious as Jessica's"
"Jessica's body is really weak right now, so even if the chances of her body rejecting it will be higher"
"And if, touch wood, her body really rejects your bone marrow"
"We'll have to find a new donor for her again" explained Dr.Kang

"What.."
"Nevermind, we'll try"
"Dr.Kang just schedule for the bone marrow transplant ASAP"
"Even if its today i'll come" said Tiffany

"Okay, i'll get it done soon"
"The fastest will be tomorrow morning i think"

"Okay, tomorrow morning then!"
"Thanks Dr.Kang!"

"No problem"
"I also hope for the best for Jessica" smiled Dr.Kang as he walked off.

"Taeyeon, im gonna donate go through a bone marrow transplant tomorrow"
"For Jessica" informed Tiffany

"I know.. I heard.."
"I cant thank you enough Tiffany.." replied Taeyeon

"You dont have to thank me"
"Im doing this for Jessica"
"Plus, i dont even know if her body will accept my bone marrow" explained Tiffany

"Lets just hope her body will accept your bone marrow.." said Taeyeon sadly, not taking her eyes of that frail body of Jessica's.

Just then, noises were heard outside the room.
And it was getting nearer and nearer, to Taeyeon's surprise,
it was the other SNSD members!
Sunny, Sooyoung, Yoonyul, Hyoyeon&Seohyun.
They were each holding something for Jessica.
Sunny&Seohyun brought a big fruit basket, Yoonyul brought fresh flowers & lastly, food.
Brought by the expected shikshin, Sooyoung&Hyoyeon.

"Shhh..." hushed Taeyeon
"She's resting now.."
"Why are you all here?.." asked Taeyeon

"Oh, Tiffany told us that Jessica's in the hospital"
"But didnt tell us why, after thinking for some time"
"We thought it would be nice of us to visit her" smiled Sunny

"Yeah, plus, we are really curious about why Jessica unnie left us.."
"We just wanted to get some answers to.." started Seohyun

"But dont worry, we wont upset her or anything"
"If she's still not ready to tell us, we wont force her or anything" reassured Sooyoung

"Yup, we wont"
"So dont worry Taeyeon&Tiffany" added Hyoyeon

At the same time, Krystal who had just knocked off from work entered Jessica's ward but was shocked to see so many people inside.
She immediately rushed to Jessica's side, and asked.

"Are you all here to lecture my unnie again?!" glared Krystal

"Ah.. Krystal, Tiffany&I knew everything"
"We were sorry for what we've done"
"Calm down, we wont upset her anymore" explained Taeyeon slowly

"Yup Krystal"
"We're here to visit her, really"
"Jessica talked to me just now, really" added Tiffany

"Hey.."
"This is unfair.."
"Everyone knows what was going on here.."
"Except for us.." complained Yooyul

"YEAH! UNFAIR!" exclaimed Hyoyeon

But Hyoyeon's exclamation was too loud, it woke Jessica up.
Jessica slowly open her eyes, blinked for a few times.
Wondering if what she saw is real, that all the SNSD members were here.

"Hi" said the members awkwardly

"Hi.." replied Jessica weakly
"What.. brings you.. here?.."

"Oh er.."
"You know, Jessica"
"We heard that you're in the hospital"
"So we came over to visit and also ask you some questions.."
"If you allow" said Yoonyul

"Okay?.."

"So.." started Sooyoung
"Why did you.. leave us..?"
"Like so suddenly?.."

"Yeah, it seems like Tiffany&Taeyeon already knew about it" added Hyoyeon

"And we know nothing!" exclaimed Sunny
"Arent we supposed to be together no matter what happens?
"We're a group!"

"Well..you guys managed well.."
"Without me.. "
"So i dont.. think it makes.. any different.."
"As for me.. leaving this group.."
"Krystal.. since everybody is here.."
"And Tiffany&Taeyeon knew about it already.."
"Tell them.. for me.."

After completing her sentence, Jessica started coughing again.
Her coughings were never ending, and it gets worser as days pass.
And it felt like she was coughing her lungs out.
Krystal then started explaining when Taeyeon sat down on the bed and patted Jessica's back.

"Well, unnie's been diagnosed with leukemia"
"Like what i had suffered in the past, it was all inherited"
"I was diagnosed with it a lot earlier and younger than unnie"
"Thats why i managed to pull through the treatments before getting a donor to donate their bone marrow to me"
"While unnie, was diagnosed way later then me, and she's born with asthma which is a minus to her body"
"Unnie's not confident of making through all these, thus she decided to leave all of you"
"She thought that making you all hate her is better than seeing you girls grieve over her death later" explained Krystal sadly

After hearing it, the girls couldnt say anything.
Shock expression was all they could show.

"How did this happen Jessica?"
"I thought it was only Krystal who was diagnosed with it?" asked Yuri
"How could it be that 2 children were both inherited with it?.."

"It is possible, Yuri unnie"
"Dr.Kang says its possible" replied Krystal sadly

"Dont worry Jessica"
"We are sure you can pull through it!" comforted Sunny

"Yeah unnie!"
"We'll help you!" added Seohyun

"Thanks.." was Jessica could mustered.

"Oh, Jess"
"Dr.Kang said they could try my bone marrow for you"
"But chances of you rejecting it is pretty high, but we'll still try okay?"

"Tiff.."
"Are you.. sure?.."
"You want.. to do this..?"
"For me..? After what.. i've.. done to you..?"

"What are you talking about Jess!"
"Of course im sure i wanna do this!" exasperated Tiffany
"I'll do anything to make you feel better!"
"This is what best friends are for!"

"If.. you insist.." replied Jessica weakly

While they were chatting, Dr.Kang&a few nurses came into Jessica's ward.

"Hi girls, im so glad to see so many people here visiting Jessica"
"But i need to give her a checkup, so can you all kindly like"
"Stay outside for the time being?" instructed Dr.Kang

"Okay sure thing" replied the girls as they went out, except for Krystal.

Krystal's been with Jessica for every kind of checkup or anything.
She just wanted Jessica to at least feel safe with her.

"Arghh.."
"Dr.Kang, cant we just skip these check-ups?.."
"It always made me tear up.. it hurts.. when you insert.."
"Needles and needles into my arms, taking it out putting it in.." pleaded Jessica as tears fell down her cheeks

"Im sorry, Jessica"
"As much as i wanted to not do anything to do"
"But i cant, i need to monitor your blood cells count and giving you medicine through it"
"Your side effect is getting real bad, you cant even take down food or medicine"
"Thats why we hung up glucose pack for you.." explained Dr.Kang as he injected into Jessica's arm that made her wince in pain while the other nurses took Jessica's blood pressure&temperature.

"Dr.Kang.." started one of the nurse
"Its not going down"
"Its still at 39degrees" said the nurse as she showed Dr.Kang the thermometer.

"Aish.."
"Prepare another set of IV and a bag of saline" instructed Dr.Kang
"Jessica, im sorry but i have to get another IV inserted into the other arm of yours"

"Why?.." sobbed Jessica
"Cant you just add on to the other ones?"

"No.. the maximum one can have is 3 bags"
"And, you see, you have the glucose, 2 different medications on"
"And if your fever doesnt go down by tonight, we cant go on with the transplant" explained Dr.Kang
"I know its going to hurt, but i hope you can go for the transplant tomorrow"
"Pass it the IV set to me" instructed Dr.Kang

"Noo.."
"Please.."
"Dont Dr.Kang.." cried Jessica as she tried to hid her arms from Dr.Kang

"Dont be like this Jessica"
"I just wanna help you feel better" persuaded Dr.Kang

"Dont lie.."
"Im feeling way worse when i first came in.."

"Unnie, please be good?"
"Dr.Kang's gonna make it painless" persuaded Krystal as she held onto Jessica's arm, letting Dr.Kang insert the IV into her arm.

"Ouchhh!" cried Jessica
"I hate all of you, i hate you!" shouted Jessica

Then a minute later, the drips were flowing into Jessica's arms when she felt an unbearable burning sensation whenever a drip enters her arms.
Tears started to fall again as she begged Dr.Kang.

"Please.."
"Please take it away from me.. Dr.Kang.."
"It hurts.. hurts.." begged Jessica

"Its for your own good Jessica"
"Your potassium level is low, and if you're going through the bone marrow transplant tomorrow"
"I dont want to get any complications during the transplant due to your low potassium level"
"Just 2 packs and i'll let you off" said Dr.Kang as he left the room and asked the girls to enter.

As the girls enter the room, Krystal told them not to go talk or disturb Jessica from her rest.

"She just got an extra 2 drops of IV on the arm of hers"
"One's a saline and the other's a potassium drip"
"the potassium drip is killing her with the burning sensation in her arm for every drip" explained Krystal softly as she saw tears dripping down Jessica's closed eyes.
"Her fever has yet gone down, Dr.Kang says if its not down by tomorrow, we cant send her into the surgery theatre"
"But if we can send her in, her potassium level must be in the healthy range if not complications might occur in it"

"Oh.." replied Sooyoung,Hyoyeon,Yoonyul,Sunny&Seohyun

"Then how is she now?" asked Taeyeon

"I've got no idea how is she feeling right now, but you girls can go back first"
"I can take care of unnie" smiled Krystal

"Ani, the girls can go back first, im staying here with Jessica" said Taeyeon

"If you insist.."

"Okay then. I'll go back with the rest first"
"We'll visit tomorrow when we're free" said Tiffany as she started leaving with the girls.

"Sica.."
"Dont cry anymore.." hushed Taeyeon
"Im here, with you.."
"I know it hurts, bear with it okay.."

"Taetae.."
"Its killing me.."
"I wanna die right now.." cried Jessica
"I dont wanna go through all these anymore.."

"Dont say anything about dying Sica!"
"I wont allow you to die!" scolded Taeyeon as she let go of Jessica's hands and headed somewhere else.

"Dont.."
"Dont leave me.. Taetae.." begged Jessica

"Im not leaving you, Sica"
"Im going to the toilet to grab a cloth&ice water" replied Taeyeon

Minutes later, she came back with a small pail of ice water and towel.
She took it and started wiping Jessica's body but Jessica shivered at the touch.

"Dont.. Taetae.."
"Dont.. its cold.."
"Please.." sobbed Jessica

"You're getting delirious Sica"
"If i dont do this, your fever's not doing anything good"
"I want you to go through the surgery tomorrow"
"Just bear with it" said Taeyeon sadly as she wiped her body.

After wiping her body, Taeyeon left the towel on Jessica's forehead but the towel turned hot almost immediately.
That didnt stop Taeyeon from putting it for her, Taeyeon just constantly changed her towels, wiping her body with the cold water.
Soon, her fever really did came down a bit when the nurse came into check on her later.
It dropped till 38degrees instead of 39degrees, although its still considered high, but its already a big progress for Jessica.