Chapter 14 - Go Big or Go Home -

My First and Last

The concerts in Seoul are finished for now and Baekhyun still thinks back to when he bid farewell to Minseok after their concert. This incident didn’t let him sleep peacefully. Mostly because he still can’t believe his own boldness.

He sits in the dorm’s kitchen watching D.O. prepare dinner while he contemplates further. The delicious smells of D.O.’s cooking invades his nostrils and let’s his stomach growl, which makes the younger chuckle.

“You’re thinking too much Baekhyun.” D.O. turns around with a sympatric look.

The caught one is quite surprised and just stared for a moment, before he finally replied:

“What’s the connection between being hungry and thinking too much?”

D.O. shrugs and turns back to the hot plate.

“You not nagging endlessly about having to wait for decades for the food and instead just sitting next to me being all quiet and allowing your stomach to growl like that…. It’s easy to tell something’s wrong. You’re as easy to read as a book Baekhyun…”

Baekhyun just sulks at that and groans. Instead of talking about his worries he decides to annoy the cook instead:

“I’m huuuuuuungry!! Give me food!” Baekhyun replied childishly.

For a second D.O. regretted his words, but was glad to free Baekhyun from his thoughts. D.O. sighs and replies the annoying Baekhyun:

“Don’t worry, I’m almost finished. Come here, you can try one of the rice cakes.”

“Yaaaay!!” the older cheered and gladly took the food.

Shortly after, the rest of the group entered the kitchen and they had dinner together.

The EXO members stayed in the kitchen talking and doing nonsense quite long, therefore it was quite late when Baekhyun finally showered and could lay on his bed. He decided not to look on his phone again, because he just wanted to sleep. The next morning, he found a message of Xiumin inviting him to dinner in a small bar in downtown Seoul. And who was he to decline that offer?

 

Despite having a full schedule that day, Baekhyun desperately wanted to meet the older. Early that day he already informed the members about his appointment with Xiumin, requesting them to keep his back free. First, they were in the recording studio, then on a radio show and also making a short Vlive for their fans. During promotions they were always busy. Baekhyun loved it though. It never got boring and he had the chance to interact a lot with his fans. Today was just a bliss for him though. Cramped schedule with the things he loved and completing the day with a date. There, he finally said it. As much as he wants to consider it as that, he cannot judge the elder’s perspective. Baekhyun just hopes that he’s at least a little excited about their date like he is. The last stop for the day was a recording for a TV show and Baekhyun already figured that it could take a little longer, but he still tried his best.

Xiumin sent Baekhyun the bar’s address and was currently on his way there. He had to admit, that this time he made an effort in styling himself for the meeting. While he was still at home, he just couldn’t control the agitated feeling running through his veins, that made him want to look good. That’s what you do for friends after all, right?

A few moments before their arranged time Xiumin stands in front of the bar looking for a familiar person. His gaze followed different people walking, but no one was the one he was looking for. He sighs and decides to enter the premise already.

Baekhyun stared at the time while being stuck in a traffic jam. He gritted his teeth and nervously taps the steering wheel. He definitely wasn’t going to make it in time, but he knew Xiumin would wait for him. Because he was just such a nice and understanding person. Someone who he liked a lot. He wouldn’t dare calling it love, but maybe something close to that. He really liked him and he wants to let the older know that. He really does, but he wants to get a clear mind and address the topic about Minseok.

Baekhyun runs into the arranged restaurant panting, with his face mask on in order to hide his identity. He gasps looking for Xiumin. Baekhyun quickly found him and greeted the older with a hug, which was returned.

“I’m sorry that I’m so late, but the schedule took longer and I got stuck in a traffic jam…” He rants about his delay but Xiumin just smiles and gave him a small hand wave signaling that it was no problem.

“Just make sure to accelerate fully and run as fast as you can next time!” Xiumin joked, making himself giggle about that exaggerated request.

“Anything for you.”

The way Baekhyun conveyed such a simple sentence caught the older off guard and he stopped laughing, staring into Baekhyun’s solemn eyes.

Silence

Just then the waitress came and asked Baekhyun for his order. He just ordered a mango ade, since the other’s glass was still full. Baekhyun bites his lower lip and shifts his gaze on the table first, before daring to look up into Xiumin’s eyes.

“I-…” with a slightly shaking voice Baekhyun hesitates, looking down again.

“Look, I-… I wanted to tell you something. Maybe you already noticed this earlier. Or rather when we met for the first time and just recently as well. But I don’t care what my mind is telling me who you really are and as whom you act, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that you are in front of me and you cannot believe how happy I am that we can be together like this. Because I also think…that there might be something… Or like, you know when you are at our dorm or last time at the concert… And just over time I just felt-“ Baekhyun’s flustered and confused blabbering got interrupted by Xiumin’s warm hand on top of his own.

The older looked into Baekhyun’s blushing face. Throughout the speech Minseok observed him become more and more nervous and red on the face. He needed him to calm down again.

“It’s okay Baekhyun.” The mellowed voice definitely had a soothing effect on him. “We don’t need to talk about this or anything today, what it all is supposed to mean or what is happening around us.”

Xiumin’s sympathetic words just made Baekhyun like him even more, without realizing it. Baekhyun was still somewhat agitated but he loved how such a small gesture could already ease his mind. Xiumin was indeed someone special.

They looked at each other for a few moments and Minseok still didn’t let go of Baekhyun’s hand. Minseok was happy that he could calm Baekhyun. He wanted to be the only one who could have that effect. He wanted to be someone special to the younger. But Minseok wouldn’t have wanted Baekhyun to continues his speech, because he was a little selfish as well. Because he wasn’t sure himself what was between them. Or rather, he doesn’t admit it to himself. But he knew that there was definitely something between them. However, that, he wouldn’t tell Baekhyun just yet.

When Baekhyun’s drink arrived, he chucked it down quickly and they left the restaurant shortly after that. They hugged again to say farewell, but this time it was more hesitant and awkward. Even though they didn’t know what to do, they didn’t want to leave the other yet. Unfortunately, neither had the guts to speak up and hence they parted ways, both already missing the other’s presence.

Baekhyun was angry at himself. Retrospectively he wishes that he had the courage to say Xiumin that he loved him. Just telling him more of his true feelings. He despised himself for being so cowardly, insecure and useless. But Xiumin would understand, he always does. Even though Xiumin isn’t Minseok from back them, making them 2 long lost souls that found each other again, he involuntarily feels deep down, that he actually is Minseok from all these years ago.

 

 

 

A/N:

Writing this chapter was actually quite exhausting, because it just took me so long to finish. (at least half a year, and it’s the one that took me he longest to complete) Not because I didn’t know what to write, but time and motivation problems… xD I hope Baekhyun’s feeling for Xiumin are understandable and not too rushed. A lot of things already don’t make much sense in this story but I tried….xD The reason Baekhyun drank a mango ade, is because I drank the same in the SM Coex building and it was so tasty!