Chapter 13 - The End of the Beginning, The Beginning of the End -

My First and Last

A/N: I recommend listening to the EXO Planet #3 setlist while reading (starting from Call Me Baby)

 

 

 

 

 

“Look, it really isn’t that important. You’re thinking way too much about it.” Minseok props his hands on his waist losing any hope for his friend Jimin.

“You don’t understand!!! Man, I-! That’s-! It’s really important! The whole audience wants to look great, because Exo on stage will look great too!” Jimin tries to explain.

“Whatever.”

Shaking his head, Minseok turns around and watches himself in the mirror taking a closer look at his own clothes: Dark blue ripped jeans and a black pullover. Nothing fancy, just comfortable. He turns around again, hearing all kinds of rustling and clothes being thrown.

“Why don’t you just wear that Exo-Shirt and a plain jeans?” Minseok asks calmly and points at the respective clothes. A long grunt was Jimin’s answer but Jimin still tried the clothes on and was satisfied with the choice.

“Why didn’t you propose that earlier you booger?”

“You’re way too agitated to even listen to me, and it just came into my mind just now.” Minseok shrugs and sticks out his tongue. Then, he threw a glance at the clock and notices that it was time to go to the concert venue.

“Come on Jimin, let’s go. Or do you wanna be late?” He chuckled to himself when he heard Jimin’s long and exaggerated “Nooooo-“ through the apartment as he left through the door.

 

 

Gocheok Sky Dome was the venue where the fans were about to see their idols. Minseok and Jimin walk through the huge crowd, amazed by all the people around them and the atmosphere. The excitement is much higher than before and while looking around they couldn’t help their big smiles on their faces. Minseok was just so happy to see all those people supporting Baekhyun and Luhan, he felt grateful and even proud. Minseok observed the people, the majority being girls. Everyone has a happy face, talking to their friends and fanning air towards themselves in the summer’s heat.

Sweating like crazy Jimin teared Minseok out of his thoughts and he jumped and exclaimed how happy he was. Luckily his screams got lost in the crowd. Before they parted ways, they agreed on a meeting point after the concert, because they wanted to go home together.

Jimin went to the main floor entrance section L and Minseok went around the whole venue to get to the backstage area. The closer he got, the fewer the fans were around him until he reached a fenced-off area and wondered how he could get inside. He didn’t need to wait long before a guard walked towards him and prepared to open the safety door. Asking him if he’s ‘Xiumin’ felt more like a pro forma act rather than an actual inspection of his persona. Xiumin nodded and bowed slightly when he entered. The staff lead the way in the aisles of the building. Xiumin saw busy people walking around and eventually reached Exo’s dressing room. They halted and Xiumin could already hear the members chatting vividly and laughing loudly.

His expression saddened slightly. He didn’t dare to interrupt their joyful moment before their event, even though he’d like to see them, see him so badly. Xiumin turned to the man who brought him here and asked for the restroom and where he could wait without disturbing the artists. The man showed him the way again and surprisingly, left him alone. Xiumin locked himself in a bathroom stall, waiting for the time to pass until the concert started, not wanting to interact with the Exo-members. He was somehow afraid of it. As to why, he couldn’t even explain it himself.

About 15 minutes before it started, he finally left the stall to wash his hands and stared into the mirror. He noticed the door opening and saw a familiar face.

“Oh, Xiumin so you actually came. Glad you made it! The concert’s about to start, so everyone’s backstage going to their respective places. If you’re fast you can catch up to them. I’m gonna tell Baekhyun you came if you don’t see him. If you excuse me for now.” Kyungsoo gave one final smile before going into the stall.

Xiumin’s heart rate increased and he decided to leave the restroom in order to go to the stage area. The closer he got, the more he could hear music from various artists echoing through the halls. Super Junior’s Black Suit is never a bad choice he mumbled to himself. Simultaneously he could hear the audience talking too. Even though he didn’t even have to go upstage he could feel the excitement as if he’d have to go. He looks around and sees a group ahead of himself and he instantly stopped and tried to hide in a nearby doorframe. Fortunately, with success. He observes the Exo members making their final jokes before the concert. Just seeing him smile again made his heart skip a beat. When the coast was clear Xiumin went to his designated spot and just in time the audience started to scream as the first song The Eve began. Xiumin really had a great spot. He was at the side in a dark area and could look on the stage from the side and could even see some fans in the audience.

It was the perfect spot to observe the members without being noticed and disturbing them. During the whole concert Xiumin was mesmerized by the performances. He even caught himself with a wide mouth staring, it was just that good. (Currently playing: Call Me Baby) He could tell how passionately the idols were and was really happy for them. The members were changing outfits or just had a break sometimes, but not once did they cross Xiumin’s path, much to Baekhyun’s dismay.

After a longer VCR break, they sung to White Noise. It was great to see almost the same view as Exo. All those light sticks shining and changing colors. He should have gotten himself one as well, just like Jimin, he thought. Now Thunder was playing. The members all wanted to give the fans an equally view of themselves and wandered around stage while dancing as if they were moving at home. They were experienced, Xiumin could easily tell by looking.

Xiumin slightly startled as the song cut midway, dreading a technical issue but it seems it was planned which made him gasp in relief. Playboy followed the remaining echoes of the previous song and the crowd cheered again, like for every other song before it. Xiumin just noticed that the songs kept getting cozier, their dancing passionately and addicting. Their black revealing clothes just made the view even better.

They sang only one verse when the song got quieter and quieter. The lights got shut out and there was silence, only a few screams from the crowd to be heard. Xiumin could swear he heard Jimin at least once in them. The silence remained for a few more moments until the first drum beats of the next song resounds in the stadium. The infamous song that didn’t leave anyone unbothered: Artificial Love. The screams were even louder than the ones from before and while watching, Xiumin understood exactly why. Just then he noticed the smooth transition and he was hooked. He watched the concert silently, eyes wide open with all the things evolving in front of his eyes….

 

 

The concert finished with Don’t Go and Xiumin clapped his hands as well and couldn’t wait to greet the idols after their performance. What he didn’t know was that Baekhyun was just as excited and agitated to finally meet Xiumin again.

He was laughing with Chanyeol when Kyungsoo informed him that Xiumin is also attending the concert. That instant, his heart fell down his throat and he was just incredibly nervous throughout the whole concert. This time trying a little bit extra hard to deliver a good performance. He also tried to look for Xiumin during the songs, but couldn’t find him in the backstage area. He just hoped that Xiumin liked his performance and that the older stays long enough so that he could see him.

Attentively Baekhyun walks through the halls with s, swiping away his sweat on his face. Baekhyun got stopped by a staff while his comrades kept going towards their dressing room. Baekhyun smiled and bowed shortly and turned again towards their dressing room only to see the one that made his mind go restless for the whole evening. Both stand still, making eye contact. Baekhyun’s smile faded and he couldn’t believe his eyes. It suddenly overwhelmed him and the pain he felt for not seeing nor hearing about Xiumin came back. He hastens/rushes towards the older and embraced him into a deep hug. All of a sudden, the pain was gone and it was replaced by a heart-warming comfort. Baekhyun was a little fast with the hugging and they almost kissed before properly adjusting their heads. Luhan’s face poked out of the dressing room and he saw the scene unfold before his eyes.

“Like lovers that haven’t seen each other in ages…” he smiled to himself and chuckled at the thought. It was like this, even though it were just a few weeks. He left them having their moment on their own.

After the concert it’s already late and dark outside. Xiumin made small talk with the members while they were changing and prepared to go back to their dorm. Baekhyun walks next to Xiumin, savoring every moment he can have in his presence. On their way outside Baekhyun asked Xiumin all kind of things from how he liked the concert up to how his daily life is going. Baekhyun was very happy to hear that the older fully enjoyed the show.

Now they were on the last aisle and Baekhyun didn’t want to separate so fast from the older and slightly pulls at his shirt asking: “Could we walk a little slower? Just…. A little?” with his heard lowered. Xiumin agreed and eventually they fell behind the others. Finally outside they can already see the group bus. About 10 meters away from it, Baekhyun halts, making Xiumin stop as well and turning around to Baekhyun, facing the bus with his back. Baekhyun looked to the bus and then to Xiumin, his eyes wandering over Xiumin’s facial features. He looks so innocent. In a few minutes they will be ready to depart. Just why is everything always playing against me? Before he speaks the younger just stares at Xiumin’s eyes, enjoying the moment.

“Well, until here you can go.” Xiumin nodded faintly. A halfhearted smile with regret found its way on Baekhyun’s face.

“You’ll meet up with Jimin and go home together, right?”

“Yes, he should be coming out soon.”

“Great…. I’m really happy that you liked the concert…”

“Of course, you made an amazing performance and it makes me happy to see you having a great time on stage. I’ll come again anytime!”

They both stare at each other in the darkness. A few noises are heard from the crew near the bus, no one bothered to tell the boys about the time. Baekhyun grew a tired smile on his face with half lidded eyes.

“Say… could you do me a favor?” Baekhyun asks.

“Sure.”

“Could you close your eyes for a moment?”

Innocently Xiumin just did as he was told and Baekhyun looked around analyzing the few lights surrounding them and where they shined on. However, the night was in his favor, at the parking area there were almost no lights and their spot was entirely veiled by the darkness, only the stars shining bright in the sky. Baekhyun approached Xiumin’s face. His hands nearing the face for cupping it. This chance is perfect, but why? Why do I hesitate? Heart racing like crazy Baekhyun’s mind went crazy. He hoped that when that moment happens his thoughts won’t be busy dreading to be seen by someone. Baekhyun pursed his lips and his breathing became irregularly fast. Just a little closer and… their lips touch, faintly though. He pressed his lips very carefully and softly at the other’s, while he closed his eyes as well. Their touch was so slightly, it could almost go unnoticed, but it felt so good and right. It felt like it was due long ago and that he finally got what he should have gotten long ago. Never has he ever felt a kiss that true. Baekhyun opens his eyes slowly and distances himself again. He glanced over to the bus. He had to leave now. Shortly after Xiumin also opened his eyes, slightly blushing. Baekhyun tilted his head a little giving Xiumin one final smile before he scurries past him and leaving him doubled surprised behind with his farewell:

“Come home safely, Minseok.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So for this chapter I actually included my own experiences when I attended EXO’s encore concert in Seoul (#4) , because it was in the same concert hall. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see all those songs mentioned that day, but I followed the setlist of #3 concert’s list and I tried to replicate the happenings as best as I could in this story. I watched the video on Youtube and tried to incorporate every transition there was like the sudden stop of music etc.....

If you watch the concert you can really notice a very smooth transition from the normal songs to more and more y songs and you eventually end up with Artificial Love...... true story.