Hope

the love life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2013 February

Seulgi, Irene and other trainees were waiting in the practice room. They were individually gone to a meeting with CEO earlier in the morning. Seulgi chewing on her knuckles, Irene spacing out and others whispering to each other, they sat at the floor waiting for the announce of a new group from their teachers and higher representatives of the company.

To be in a group was a dream and to reach that dream you should be able to stay and not give up. Unfortunately, some friends would give up and leave without actually notifying the teachers and trainers. The thought of abandoning everything made their hair stood up.

‘This year must be the end for me’, ‘what will I say to my parents’, ‘my singing got really bad these months’, ‘what am I going to do’ thoughts of the girl with cat eyes went like the smoke of a steam locomotive. Known to herself, but not to the whole world. She sometimes felt like an empty train going nowhere and most annoyingly going very SLOW.

Irene on the other hand was wearing the calm expression and when sometimes light frown was seen between her eyebrows, others would think that she was worried. She was worried, yes. About her feelings, that is. How funny, while waiting to witness the most important words in her life, she was indeed thinking about some stupid stuff. She shook her head to somehow get these thoughts out of her mind. And it worked because in the next second 2 music producers and managers of SM came in. Then came their vocal and dance teachers. And finally CEO made his way to the centre of the room looking at everyone. Every pair of eyes were directed to his presence all at once as they stood up to greet him.

 

“I would like to thank every and each one of you for staying with us despite there are being a lot of hardships and sometimes not too kind talks. I see every one of you as my own children and we gathered you today,” he made pause, “… to announce that we are debuting a new girl group and boy group in the next following years.”

“Some kids are going to get further with their careers at becoming an idol and some may want to leave us. And I totally understand that.”

“The girl group will consist of 5 or 6 members and with boys I’m planning to set a new structured group, but it is after girls’ debut. The debut's date and other details will be revealed later. There is a list of members who are going to be in the official training team called SM Rookies. Those of you who are in the list are going to get promotions and activities starting from now on. You'll get to show the best of your capabilities during the time of training until your official debut in the group.”

“And who are not, don’t worry! You are still in the family. So do your best to make it to the team. I was hoping to not talk too much, but well…” he sighed and trainees laughed.

“Your teacher Yoon is going to say who is in it. Please, mister Yoon.” He crossed his arms and looked at the ground, slightly shifting back and forth in his feet in anticipation. His smile was curious and tensed. Something was clearly bothering him. For the last few months he was sad but tried to mask.

Somewhere along the lines of second or third, Irene could hear her name being said. Her pupils dilated and her heart was warming her whole body. Nerve wrecking thoughts about not making it to the team and therefore extending her stay as the trainee would have broken her any minute. And as soon as she heard the name that was given to her by teachers, Joohyun bit her lower lip to contain the wide smile.

She heard Seulgi’s name not long after hers and looked at the girl curiously and excited for her reaction. The younger one was smiling humbly and Joohyun knew that she was delighted.

After all of the names were said out loud the CEO smiled forcibly and folding his fists in ‘fighting’ manner, left quickly without looking back.

 

The group of guys high-fived each other and started to make noises as always. When Irene looked at Seulgi, she was hugging the other girl. Her name was Seungwan. Two girls hugged dearly and started laughing when separated from other. Irene smiled at the interaction and being the clingy person deep down went to them wrapping her tiny hands around them. They were startled at first but pulled the girl in their group hug.

“I’m so happy for you two!” said Seungwan without breaking the embrace.

“Thank you, chingu. You’ll be with us soon.” Seulgi said sniffing her falling tears.

“Don’t cry, Seulgi-ah,” Irene side-hugged the younger one. “The better days are definitely coming.”

“I kn-know unnie… this is so…” the dancer hiccupped and was flustered all at once.

Seungwan patted her back and suggested having a celebratory lunch. That lifted up the dancer’s mood.

 

 

2013, August 1

Boys sat in half circle to watch their MV in the late evening. ‘Growl’ made success from day one since it came out, which was only yesterday.

“It’s starting, it’s starting!” Kai yelled at everyone to be quite.

“Wah, who is that handsome man?”

“Tao, that’s you,” said Suho looking at him.

“I know hyung!” the Chinese snickered.

“Can you guys shut up,” Kris annoyingly clattered.

“So danger…” someone singed along.

Lay watched intently, dancing to every beat. Baekhyun who was blond now looked at his expressions and dancing. For the last year he practiced a lot on his movements and when guys complimented him saying he improved, Baekhyun was satisfied.

After watching and thanking their staff, boys went to have delivery dinner with their manager.

 

“Nothing too spicy and certainly NOT RAMEN. You guys have performances tomorrow and the next day. We dont want puffy faces,” their manager set the ordered food in front of them. They chatted as devoured their food. Before going to the dorm they decided to stay a little bit.

“Khh…” Baekhyun laid his head on maknae’s shoulder, rub

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter