Aloof

the love life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2014, August

The “Happiness” M/V had dropped hours ago and Red Velvet was going to their first ever debut stage. Through tinted windows of their van they saw many people holding cameras and posters with supporting words. They couldn’t believe their dream was in front of their eyes and they were going to perform on stage soon. It cost a lot of time and effort from them to make it become the reality.

After they had got out of the van, flashlights from cameras began to appear as girls walked to the building. Told to stay calm, they made their ways in holding each other’s hands for support. As Irene was now the leader of the group she tried to stay as peaceful as she could because members seemed to be slightly panicked. But it didn’t mean that she wasn’t nervous at all. Her heart was beating rabidly, eyes scanning every detail, momentarily comments filling her head inside. She was like a new born baby, slightly afraid to do any wrong move. Fortunately, their manager led them to backstage, to their dressing room where there wasn’t any camera.

After an hour passed and girls were done with their makeup, they went to watch other idols performing on stage. Backstage there were a lot of people and Joy let out a gasp when she saw how even more people came to the show. Fans were waving with their light sticks and she unconsciously thought of what their light stick is gonna look like if it was out. Surely, it was a long way to go before they had a big fan base to support them, but the thought itself made her smile.

When assistants of the show, Red Velvet’s manager and staff came to announce that their performance was next, girls became nervous a little. Irene, who was praying inwardly, came closer to girls and held their hands. They understood her and formed a circle for only them to hear each other.

“Everything is going to be okay. Just do everything like we practiced. Don’t be afraid when you see a lot of faces and don’t think that they are judging you. We just have to show them what we’ve got,” Irene tightened her hold on her members’ hands.

“We’ve already rehearsed on this stage so, there’s nothing to be afraid of, okay?” she waited until they nodded their heads. “Don’t panic if you make a mistake. Keep going until the end,” she smiled at them looking at each of them. "And don't forget to smile at the cameras."

They group hugged and their anxiety went away slowly. Red Velvet were called next and they went up on stage quickly, not making eye contact with the audience yet.

Only when they stood in their positions Irene let the curiosity win her, and she glanced at the people in front of her. Shivers run along her spine when she saw some fans expectantly looking at them and she heard the music that indicated the start of their performance and hopefully their journey as a group.

After the show ended and girls were going back to company in the merry mood, Seulgi asked Irene of how she was able to chase out their frights and summon the brightness back. Irene simply smiled and told them that she was their leader and it was okay to rely on her from now on.

“Daebak! Unnie, you’re so cool,” Wendy cheered. Joy and Seulgi nodded saying that they were lucky to have her as the leader. As they were going onto another schedule, Irene remembered the words she was told.

 

*Flashback*

“I’m nervous,” she quietly said to Baekhyun, who was looking ahead.

“Why?” he tore off his eyes from the night view. They were standing on the rooftop for some time now.

“Just… don’t know if I can be good enough to lead the group. I love being the one who people can depend on, but I’m not sure if that is enough.”

“If you love that, then do it without being scared of anything,” Baekhyun said returning the attention of the girl.  “Don’t burden much if you let a mistake happen. World wouldn’t stop because of that. You’re human. And it’s okay to be wrong sometimes,” Baekhyun spoke out his mind, his arms crossed on his chest.

Irene didn’t take her eyes off of him, ‘why are you so cool?’

He looked down at his shoes after he noticed Irene’s unreadable gaze at him. Feeling of rush and embarrassment took upon him as he averted his eyes and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

“What?” Baekhyun asked impatiently, glancing at her once.

“Didn’t know that you are… wise. It’s kinda funny,” she giggled with her hand hiding . He stood there bewildered.

“W-what do you mean?” he paused. ‘That kind of hurt my pride.” He looked at her doubtfully, eyes squinting in suspicion. He decided to change the flow of his thoughts.  

“You don’t know a lot about me then,” Baekhyun said, smirk appearing on his lips.

“I guess I don’t,” giggles slowed down and Irene was left with the smile on her face. She started blushing out of nowhere. ‘Stop! What is wrong with me?’ Irene pursed her lips and looked away.

Baekhyun, who noticed the change of color on her cheeks, started to blush a little himself too. Clearing his throat twice, he started talking.

“I’m a mess actually. I joke a lot, prank a lot, annoy and tease my members to death.” The change of topic. Again.

Irene looked at him confusedly, “only them?”

He chuckled, “well, currently, I don’t have much strength to get on your nerves, sorry. Next time, I’ll be hella exasperating, okay?”

“No, thank you,” Irene smiled. After few moments both started laughing.

“Honestly, I sometimes wonder how Suho hyung endures my personality at all?”

In answer, he got the amused smile from Irene.

“Being the leader of the group is hard as I see from him,” Baekhyun continued, “but I wanna give him the strength and support he needs… Maybe that’s why I always try to make him laugh. But I sometimes envy him because leadership has its own perks.” He grinned at the thought.

Irene smiled at him endearingly, and tried to hide it the moment Baekhyun directed his eyes on her. She didn’t want to show him her feelings that much. After all, she decided to move on from her crush. But one thing she couldn’t deny.

“You’re a good person, Baekhyun.”

In reply, she got the astonished face, which then showed the boxy signature smile of him.

 

*End of flashback*


 

Few days later...

Baekhyun was in the actors’ dressing room after his last show. After a minute when he was dressed in his casual clothes, director of the musical came in to congratulate him as tonight was his last appearance on ‘Singing In The Rain’. Baekhyun stood there little embarrassed to look at his eyes after the incident on the stage. He started crying to the end of the show.

Baekhyun didn’t know what was that. Maybe, it was the sorrow that he couldn’t give his all to the audience during the last month or the fact that there were many fans which came to support him. The fact that he still didn’t made up with Taeyeon made his head ache disturbingly.

“Baekhyun-ah, you did great. Congratulations on your first ever musical! I hope, I can work with you someday,” the show’s director took his hand.

“I’m really sorry for what happened earlier! I’m still shocked that I let my emotions slip. That was unprofessional of me,” Baekhyun bowed deeply.

“It’s okay. I know what you’re going through,” the director patted his back. “Aigoo! Are you crying?”

Baekhyun didn’t notice that tears he was holding in started running on his cheeks, leaving the warm trace after. He wiped them with his fingers, laughing in relief.

“I am really thankful that you gave me this opportunity, and really regretful that I couldn’t do everything right.”

“You did very well for the man that doesn’t have experience in acting. Don’t think so low of yourself. If it'll make you happier, i'll say that your voice is worth coming and hearing it live,” the director smiled and patted his shoulder once again. “Go now. Your fans are already waiting for you.”

"Thank you!"

 

When Baekhyun went out to the entrance hall, he was welcomed with love from his fans. Feeling the burden fall out of his chest, Baekhyun smiled wholeheartedly at everyone who waited for him until the end of the show. After talking to some of them, giving them autographs and receiving gifts, the boy with a big smile went to his minivan with his manager.

He didn’t know that there was another surprise for him in the car though. His smiled dropped when he opened his door to enter and saw a woman with black hair and dark clothing, waiting for him. After searching around if other eyes were looking, Baekhyun with intensity in his eyes shut the door so fast that the woman sitting was startled for a bit.

“Why are you here?” Baekhyun asked coldly, taking his seat near her, glancing at her only once.

“Are you still mad at me?” Taeyeon said looking at him with hopeless eyes. She wanted to congratulate him with the end of the musical but couldn't do it due to him being persistent to hear anything from her.

Baekhyun didn’t answer the question. He looked at his manager with questioningly. “Why is she here?”

Everyone in the car became silent. Taeyeon sighed, looking out from tinted windows. Baekhyun’s manager and driver of the van exchanged looks.

“Baekhyun-ah, we are going to give you some time to talk.” After that his manager gave driver the signal to go out of the car to give the couple privacy.

“NO. I’m too tired to have a conversation right now. Can’t we just go to our dorm already?” Baekhyun complained to his manager but unfortunately for him, the door was already closing.

“Baekhyun, please, listen to me,” Taeyeon touched his forearm and it sent cold shivers to his body. He felt trapped inside the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter